Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90287 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #630 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »
Well, in California, back in 2016, a proposition was passed where grocery stores cannot use plastic bags anymore.  Either grocery stores will provide reusable bags for ten cents a bag or people have to bring their own bags to carry groceries.  There's pros and cons regarding that ruling.  So at this point, I imagine that stores in California does not have any people employed to bag groceries and if people do want those 10 cent bags, I imagine the cashier will bag them.  I don't know.

There are no pros to that ruling.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #631 on: May 03, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »
I've said this before so I apologize for repeating myself but I have not shopped at a grocery store (not counting Costco, which I don't consider a grocery store anyway) that had a dedicated 'bagger' position. Do stores still exist that employ people specifically to bag groceries?

Well, in California, back in 2016, a proposition was passed where grocery stores cannot use plastic bags anymore.  Either grocery stores will provide reusable bags for ten cents a bag or people have to bring their own bags to carry groceries.  There's pros and cons regarding that ruling.  So at this point, I imagine that stores in California does not have any people employed to bag groceries and if people do want those 10 cent bags, I imagine the cashier will bag them.  I don't know.

I don't think the dumbass law you mentioned has anything to do with whether stores employ persons in "a dedicated 'bagger' position."  The stores in my area employ folks who both bag groceries and retrieve carts it he parking lot and, as far as I know and can recall, they have never employed persons whose sole responsibility was to bag groceries.  Cashier is a different position entirely, and cashiers do not typically retrieve carts (although they do bag groceries when necessary).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #632 on: May 03, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
I worked at a grocery store and here's what I did at the store.

Bagger
Cashier
Front End Supervisor
Front End Manager

At all points I shagged carriages.  As I got up in management it was very little.  I expected the baggers to do the majority of shagging carts.  Though some cashiers did help when it was slow and would bag as well.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #633 on: May 03, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
Not to be that guy, and I fully recognize that there's no easy answer to this, but we understand that this is because the first cart wasn't pushed in all the way.  Okay, mistakes happen, I get it.   But customer number two.  Can't push them a foot further?  Customer three? Four? Five?  How about the customer that put the cart in that you can see right below the stop sign.  You're really going to compound that mistake all the way halfway across the driving lane?   I know, I know "Not my job".  I kind of look at it like it's also "not my job to be a douche", and at some point in that picture, we can debate where, someone failed at their job.

Agreed. After seeing that ClusterFuck of Carts, I would've just put my cart in another cart area or put it back inside with the other carts.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #634 on: May 09, 2019, 07:30:05 AM »
This thread is amazing.

I worked for grocery stores all through college, and my dad worked in grocery all his life, including being a store manager for 36 years.

Maybe we're past it, but my dad and I were both of the opinion that people who didn't put their carts in the corrals were people of low quality.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: May 09, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »
Well, there you have it. That's pretty authoritative.

/end thread
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »
In your face Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #637 on: May 09, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
Inb4 Lock.

:lokked:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #638 on: May 09, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
lol no
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #639 on: May 09, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
This thread is amazing.

I worked for grocery stores all through college, and my dad worked in grocery all his life, including being a store manager for 36 years.

Maybe we're past it, but my dad and I were both of the opinion that people who didn't put their carts in the corrals were people of low quality.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

bosk sittin in his office plotting your demise.  :corn :yarr
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
This thread is amazing.

Wow. Just wow.

When I was a kid, there was no such thing as shopping corrals. After the groceries were loaded into the car, we left the carriage in the cross cross of the spaces and some kid would be along soon enough to grab it.

Now, because a store doesn’t want to pay a kid to do that, or feel they shouldn’t  have to pay out carriage damage claims, I’m going to be shamed into doing their fucking work for them. Fuck that. I guess that makes me a low quality person, but I think I can live with it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:29:39 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #641 on: May 09, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: May 09, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »
It's called evolving Tim.  They passed out cigarettes with matches on the streets to 13 year old kids in the 50's.  Think that's a smart thing to do today?  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: May 09, 2019, 11:13:35 AM »
This thread is amazing.

Wow. Just wow.

When I was a kid, there was no such thing as shopping corrals. After the groceries were loaded into the car, we left the carriage in the cross cross of the spaces and some kid would be along soon enough to grab it.

Now, because a store doesn’t want to pay a kid to do that, or feel they shouldn’t  have to pay out carriage damage claims, I’m going to be shamed into doing their fucking work for them. Fuck that. I guess that makes me a low quality person, but I think I can live with it.

The only thing that would've made this post better is if A) it started with "back in my day ...", and B) it finished with stories of having to walk 3 miles to work every day ... uphill ... both ways... in the snow... all year.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: May 09, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »

What if they brought the cart back to the store entrance area, out of the parking lot away from where they could cause any damage or get in anyone's way?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: May 09, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
This thread is amazing.

Wow. Just wow.

You should change your personal text to "Low Quality Person".

I also hope this thread won't ever be closed and will be resurrected from time to time, because I tell all my metalhead friends who know I'm posting on "that Dream Theater forum" that our biggest holy war is about returning shopping carts to the corrals. They're usually asking for updates, too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #646 on: May 09, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »
It's still not "The Cone" though. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: May 09, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »
The Cone wasn't a war though, pretty much everyone was on Chino's side. :P

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: May 09, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »

The better example is the Passing Lane.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: May 09, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
CHAD! DON'T BRING THAT UP! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: May 09, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
Shit, I completely skipped that one 'cause I don't drive. :lol Apparently I'm missing out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: May 09, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
I don't think I'm familiar with the passing lane...

but this may be the most epic DTF discussion

also, went back to that costco and the same cart coral.... now this is shopping cart pr0n

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #652 on: May 09, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
I think it's funny that a thread about shopping carts has resulted in my only temporary ban here.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: May 09, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
CHAD! DON'T BRING THAT UP! :lol

At least not with Stads, amirite? :neverusethis:

Shit, I completely skipped that one 'cause I don't drive. :lol Apparently I'm missing out.

There wasn't ever a dedicated thread to it, but it came up twice ... one iteration of that debate is in the 'things I find irritating' thread.  Maybe both instances of it are there.  Maybe in the GD side-chat thread; maybe somewhere else... I can't remember.  The first debate was like 2-3 years ago at least ... I remember because it was before Stads and I started getting along, and I thought he was being total douche over the matter.  The last mini-discussion on the matter was just a few months ago.

Ahhhh.... good times.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #654 on: May 09, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »
I’m not familiar with the passing lane episode b
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #655 on: May 09, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
I personally don't drive my shopping carts in the passing lane.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: May 09, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
I personally don't drive my shopping carts in the passing lane.

If you ever do, be sure to yield to anyone coming up behind you at a higher rate of speed...regardless of the posted speed limit!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #657 on: May 09, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
I don't think I'm familiar with the passing lane...

but this may be the most epic DTF discussion

also, went back to that costco and the same cart coral.... now this is shopping cart pr0n

That is pure beauty right there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #658 on: May 09, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »
TAC, you know I love you, pal.  I don't think you're low quality.

Just lower quality.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

bosk sittin in his office plotting your demise.  :corn :yarr
Probably wouldn't be the first time.

When I was a kid, I could go to a full service gas station and never had to get out of my car.  But times change.

I know that from your point of view, it's someone else's job.  But let me ask you this: if you are in a grocery store, and you pick up a gallon of milk, but then when you get to the bread aisle, you remember that your wife picked up a gallon of milk yesterday, so you don't need it.  Do you just set the milk down on the bread aisle, since it's not your job to make sure that groceries are stocked in the right place (or don't spoil)?  Or do you put it back where it goes, to make life easier on everyone?

What if they brought the cart back to the store entrance area, out of the parking lot away from where they could cause any damage or get in anyone's way?
I guess that's OK, but my question is that if you put forth that much effort, why not then take it back into the store?  *shrugs*

True enough.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #659 on: May 09, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »
TAC, I know you have your reasons.  I mean, I don't get it, but I respect that you have your reasons.

My biggest problem is with fuckers that do it without thinking.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: May 09, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »
I guess that's OK, but my question is that if you put forth that much effort, why not then take it back into the store?  *shrugs*

That's what I was thinking in my head, either in the vestibule/entryway to the store, where the carts are stocked (at my store, anyway) or right outside. I will often just leave it outside the main door however, as half the time I'll pass it along to someone who is on their way in with a "You through with that cart?"

This thread has definitely made me more aware of seeing carts left astray at the store. If they are by the entry or otherwise out of the way or cars and customers, it doesn't bother me (as I do this myself) but if they are in the parking lot, that is annoying.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: May 09, 2019, 01:54:45 PM »
When I was a kid, I could go to a full service gas station and never had to get out of my car.  But times change.

I must be living in the past.  I still don't get out of my car for gas in NJ  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #662 on: May 09, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
This thread has definitely made me more aware of seeing carts left astray at the store.

I still rarely leave them out.  But because of this thread, I definitely leave them out a bit more than I used to, just as a private :Debra: to this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: May 09, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
well, it's really a fu to everyone in that lot, not to us though  :lol but yea, I definitely am looking at the corrals everytime I go shopping now

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #664 on: May 09, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
This thread has definitely made me more aware of seeing carts left astray at the store.

I still rarely leave them out.  But because of this thread, I definitely leave them out a bit more than I used to, just as a private :Debra: to this thread.
I totally get that  :lol