Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90286 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2019, 12:31:20 PM »
Using this example, since grapes are purchased by weight, if a bag has a handful of grapes plucked from it, it will cost less for the consumer who ends up buying it. They may get less by volume, but they will pay the per weight price accordingly. They aren't getting cheated.

My issue is people putting their grubby hands in a bag of food I will potentially eat from.

It's not the person I'm worried about.  If I walk in to Stop'n'Shop, and there's a bag of 100 grapes, for $5.00, the store paid for 100 grapes and is counting on $5.00 back.  If I grab that bag, and let my kid feast as we traverse aisles 4, 5, and 6, and I get up to the counter and the 87 grapes left total $4.35, the store got fucked, not me.  I made out like a (relative) bandit.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
Since nobody actually gives a shit about shopping carts anymore, I've got a different question for the resident grocery store expert. The alarms at the exit doors in major stores (I'm referring to Kroger in particular), do they actually look for anything? I always assumed they just went off on every 9th customer or something to make potential shoplifters think there was a security feature in place. I know that I just ignore the alarm when it goes off and nobody ever bats an eye. The cop standing there doesn't even look up from his phone when it goes off. Clearly nobody puts any faith in those things.

However, I seem to set it off at one store very frequently now. Like 80% of the time I walk through the door. This has me wondering if they do actually look for something but are just pathetically inaccurate.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
I assumed they checked unscanned barcodes?

But while I've seen them go off and no one care, it's definitely not as common experience for me as it is for you it seems though.

Related to that, I read an article about how the people who check your receipt at Costco aren't there to make sure you aren't stealing, but to make sure you didn't miss an deals or get marked up wrong at the register?  I call BS on that one.    https://thetakeout.com/why-costco-employees-check-receipts-exit-1830254570

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
Those guys at Costco spend about 1.7 seconds looking at each receipt, so whatever they are looking for it doesn't require any detailed analysis.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »
I just thought they were looking for A reciept, and after that, a receipt with ballpark roughly the same number of items as in the cart (that's easy to do in 1.7 seconds).  That doesn't serve to stop a skilled, dedicated thief, but it does act in a similar manner to, say, the TSA, that does more to address the emotional aspect of air travel, than the specific process of "terrorism". 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
Since nobody actually gives a shit about shopping carts anymore, I've got a different question for the resident grocery store expert. The alarms at the exit doors in major stores (I'm referring to Kroger in particular), do they actually look for anything? I always assumed they just went off on every 9th customer or something to make potential shoplifters think there was a security feature in place. I know that I just ignore the alarm when it goes off and nobody ever bats an eye. The cop standing there doesn't even look up from his phone when it goes off. Clearly nobody puts any faith in those things.

However, I seem to set it off at one store very frequently now. Like 80% of the time I walk through the door. This has me wondering if they do actually look for something but are just pathetically inaccurate.

So they typically react to tags that are placed on packages. If you walk your HBA aisles at your local store, you can usually find square magnetic tags on some of the high ticket items. Also, the meat department tags masquerade as Safe Handling info tags, but they do the same thing. These tags are strategically placed near the actual barcode, so the register scanner deactivates them.

They can also be set off by cell phones it seems. Depends on the system and what its sensitivities are.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »
So every time Bart gets a message that I replied to him in the P/R thread, he sets the alarm off in the store?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
Hey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
El

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
Barto...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #570 on: February 19, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
I assumed they checked unscanned barcodes?

But while I've seen them go off and no one care, it's definitely not as common experience for me as it is for you it seems though.

Related to that, I read an article about how the people who check your receipt at Costco aren't there to make sure you aren't stealing, but to make sure you didn't miss an deals or get marked up wrong at the register?  I call BS on that one.    https://thetakeout.com/why-costco-employees-check-receipts-exit-1830254570
Barcodes aren't unique to individual items. Every box of ribbed Trojans has the same upc, so there's no way they could be deactivated at the register. This could be done by RFID tags, but the tags would have be be unique to each individual box of rubbers.

So they typically react to tags that are placed on packages. If you walk your HBA aisles at your local store, you can usually find square magnetic tags on some of the high ticket items. Also, the meat department tags masquerade as Safe Handling info tags, but they do the same thing. These tags are strategically placed near the actual barcode, so the register scanner deactivates them.

They can also be set off by cell phones it seems. Depends on the system and what its sensitivities are.
I have real doubts as to the scanner's ability to deactivate them. When you see them deployed at places that actually care about loss, a book or record store for example, they rub the shit out of them on a pad that demagnetizes them. One high-speed pass in front of the scanner probably won't do much. That's interesting about the meat tags, though. I'll look into that next time I buy a roast or something.

Do your stores pay any attention to them when they go off, or do y'all regard them as a joke? Down here they seem to just accept that they're meaningless, outside of the slight deterrent aspect.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #571 on: February 19, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »

I once bought some movie tickets at Sam's Club, and the receipt checker person asked if I got them (since he or she couldn't discern that by looking at my cart).  I liked that since it would not be at all unlike me to pay for something like that and then walk out of the store without going to the service desk to pick up the tickets.  Beyond that, I always understood that they were checking to see if the number of items indicated on the receipt matches (or roughly matches) the number of items in your cart.  Easy to do if you've got four things, but obviously much harder if you've got 40 items.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #572 on: February 19, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
I have real doubts as to the scanner's ability to deactivate them. When you see them deployed at places that actually care about loss, a book or record store for example, they rub the shit out of them on a pad that demagnetizes them. One high-speed pass in front of the scanner probably won't do much. That's interesting about the meat tags, though. I'll look into that next time I buy a roast or something.

Do your stores pay any attention to them when they go off, or do y'all regard them as a joke? Down here they seem to just accept that they're meaningless, outside of the slight deterrent aspect.

Well, I think it depends on the system. Our system deactivates the tag when it's run though the scanner. I can't explain how.

When they go off, there's not much you can do if the customer doesn't want to stop. But customers will stop sometimes. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: February 19, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
I see those door scanner beepers go off much more often at home improvement stores than grocery stores. Usually the shopper glances back at the checkout clerk who just rang them up, and the clerk gives them a "you're good" nod.

When they go off, there's not much you can do if the customer doesn't want to stop. 

Don't stores' loss prevention programs prohibit employees from pursuing a potential theft? Once the perp and the goods are out the door, they are considered gone and written off. Employees aren't going to turn in to Terry Benedict.   
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: February 19, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
Yea, I didn't think it was the actual barcode, but something similar to scan.  Like those tags on clothing or whatever is used on CDs when they slide the case across the magnet thingy like EB stated. 

But I'm guessing at the end of the day, the scanners and the people looking at the receipts at costco really are just trying to be deterrents to thievery rather than truly keeping the place locked down. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: February 19, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
Don't stores' loss prevention programs prohibit employees from pursuing a potential theft? Once the perp and the goods are out the door, they are considered gone and written off. Employees aren't going to turn in to Terry Benedict.   

Yeah, I think every chain has their own policy. Some may prohibit an apprehension once outside.

That $20 roast really isn't worth a bad stop.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #576 on: February 19, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »

Well, I think it depends on the system. Our system deactivates the tag when it's run though the scanner. I can't explain how.
Have you ever actually tested this? First thing I'd have done when corporate told me this was grab a box of adult diapers and walked back and forth through the scanner a few times before and after "deactivation."  :biggrin:

When they go off, there's not much you can do if the customer doesn't want to stop. But customers will stop sometimes.
Do y'all actually follow up if they do stop? When I've seen other people turn around because of the alarm they're always just waved on through.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #577 on: February 19, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »
Well, that's how our system works. Pretty sure its accurate. I don't have any involvement with it.

You can stop someone who sets the thing off, and ask to check their bag. Usually it's a tag that wasn't picked up by the scanner.
Honestly, you don't have the time to spend on it. And there aren't a ton of options.

I mean, they are really meant as deterrents. Someone that's going to steal will steal. It's really there for the folks that are thinking about stealing.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #578 on: February 19, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »
I inadvertently walked out of a Media Play once with a CD in hand and without paying for it.  Got as far as my car, and could have left completely if I didn't have the realization that I completely stole the CD by accident.  I remember the detectors definitely going off on my way out, and I didn't even pay it any mind.  Neither did the register folks, apparently, since I went back in to the store, explained that I forgot to pay for it, and the cashier acted like he didn't know anything happened either as he was ringing it up.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
I went to a local market today to get lunch and parked in a spot. I noticed a stray cart in a spot diagonally across from my resting itself on a light post. I had a brief moment of "maybe I should park somewhere else" but it wasn't really windy and I would only be 10 minutes or so so I got out and went inside I came back out and sure enough the fucker was pressed right up against the side of my car but luckily there was a plastic bumped thing on the corner. No scratches but it was there. So I took the cart and guided it over a row into the carrol, locking it into the other carts. Like an adult.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
Not like Tim who is an adult that is wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 15, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
I was under the impression, that at least around here, the alarms will go off if the cart hasn't gone through a register before being taken out the door.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #584 on: March 18, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
Couple of weeks ago it was a windy day and I was out shopping. As I left the store heading back to my car, a rogue shopping cart quite literally was blown by the wind right in front of me. Reached out and grabbed it with one hand and stopped it from speeding right into the back of someone's car. Dragged it over to the corral. Felt good.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #585 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:45 AM »
You are a super human being.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #586 on: March 18, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm having images of shopping carts just flying around a parking lot as if they had sails on them.  I literally have never seen shopping cars moving on their own (other than immediately after someone lets go of one on an incline without properly securing it).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #587 on: March 18, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
I'm having images of shopping carts just flying around a parking lot as if they had sails on them.  I literally have never seen shopping cars moving on their own (other than immediately after someone let's go of one on an incline without properly securing it).

:lol  I was thinking along similar lines. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #588 on: March 18, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and I can tell you that wind-propelled shopping carts are a thing and a very real danger.  It gets windy as hell around here.  Shopping carts can get up to "ramming speed" as they cruise across the parking lot, and they can and will do damage to people, cars, or whatever else they hit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: March 18, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and I can tell you that wind-propelled shopping carts are a thing and a very real danger.  It gets windy as hell around here.  Shopping carts can get up to "ramming speed" as they cruise across the parking lot, and they can and will do damage to people, cars, or whatever else they hit.

Yeah, I wasn't exaggerating. This cart had some speed to it. You better believe I immediately thought of this thread when I caught it. And I, too, have never seen a cart move on its own. This thing was propelled by wind. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: March 18, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »
 :lol

NJ isnt really known as a windy state but it doesnt take much for a gust to push a cart and it doesnt take much force from a cart to scratch a car. Sure getting injured might need a good force  but I've certainly seen that before too. 

I think of this thread everytime I see a cart stranded in a lot.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #591 on: March 18, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
SHOPPINGCARTNADO!!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: March 18, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
SHOPPINGCARTNADO!!!!

Better copyright that. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: March 18, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
I hear Syfy's already greenlit 3 Cartnado films.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: March 18, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
I was under the impression, that at least around here, the alarms will go off if the cart hasn't gone through a register before being taken out the door.

That's crazy. I've never heard of such a thing. I know some places have them lock up if they leave the property so the bums don't steal them and use them for their own Uber service, but never heard of them needing to be de-scanned before leaving the building.