Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90253 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #490 on: August 30, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »
That actually sounds a lot like a store we used to have out here called Gemco.  In fact, the one I had near me was actually replaced by a Target in that same location after Gemco went under.  I don't think anybody had yet heard of Target, so that was interesting.  And, yeah, Gemco had music too.  I remember seeing Y&T cassettes there, but can't remember if I actually bought any.  I got most or all of them from The Wherehouse.

I remember Gemco and Fedco (wasn't it the case for a while that only persons with certain jobs could become "members" of Fedco?)....and Service Merchandise and Best Products.  Going back even further, I remember Zody's and Kress (although both of those were gone before I was a teenager.  I probably failed to put shopping carts int he corrals at all of those places!  Mwahahahahaha!

I vaguely remember Fedco.  There was a building literally across the street from the Gemco I mentioned that started as a Service Merchandise and then was taken over by Best.  The first company I was aware of that had that model of using a catalog to order at the counter and they would bring you your stuff was Consumers (I forget their whole name).  Back when Kenner launched the first 12 Star Wars action figures (after the first four were only available through the Early Bird pack, which I had), my great grandmother would take me to Consumers every time I managed to save up my $2.15 to buy another action figure.  I got 11 of the first twelve.  Never did find that Sandpeople figure.  And I had the cloth robed Jawa, not the original vinyl one.  (the cloth one looked a LOT better, but the other one was worth more since it was more rare)  Anyhow...

Never heard of Zody's and Kress.  Maybe they didn't have them up here.

I have that Jawa figure somewhere.  With the cloth.  It was my favorite figure by far (though Darth and the stormtrooper were a close second).

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #491 on: August 30, 2018, 02:01:28 PM »
Comic shop by me has that original Darth Vader action figure carrying case we all had back in the day. Every time I go in, I cry how much money I could have now have.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: August 30, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Comic shop by me has that original Darth Vader action figure carrying case we all had back in the day. Every time I go in, I cry how much money I could have now have.  :lol

What are they asking for it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #493 on: August 30, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »

I had the original one rather than the Vader one that came out later:  https://www.ebay.com/i/182813768981?chn=ps  (and don't ask me why that poser is trying to pawn off Buck Rogers action figures as Star Wars action figures)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #494 on: August 31, 2018, 06:13:42 PM »
 :censored

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: August 31, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
I think Lamont Sanford would find that his new blue truck is safe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #496 on: August 31, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
Tim, you know how to zoom?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: August 31, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »
Oh my god TAC, even your references are old enough to be my father  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #498 on: August 31, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: August 31, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »
I guess I can't talk when I recognize Welcome Back Kotter.

I also read that in his voice. Like, omigod, Mr. TAC, good meme.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: August 31, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
 ;D ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: August 31, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
Oh my god TAC, even your references are old enough to be my father  :lol

Seriously.

I guess I can't talk when I recognize Welcome Back Kotter.

I also read that in his voice. Like, omigod, Mr. TAC, good meme.  :lol

In his Mr. Rodger's sweater.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #502 on: September 03, 2018, 08:01:16 AM »
I think Lamont Sanford would find that his new blue truck is safe.

This is gold. 

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: September 06, 2018, 11:06:05 AM »
:censored

This should be bosk1's profile pic.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #505 on: September 10, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
I went to the grocery store yesterday and pulled into a space.  Shopping carts were sitting at both points of the "H" between my space and the space in front of me, and I couldn't help but think of this thread.  The carts were still there when I got back to my car and, since the space in front of me wasn't occupied, rather than backing out of my space, I drove straight, between the two carts, and out the other side -- all the while hailing the people who had left their carts perfectly placed so that I could do that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #506 on: September 10, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
Clearly, you are doing this thread wrong and just don't get it.  The cart placement is clearly an affront to everything decent in the world, despite the fact that it impacted precisely no one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: September 10, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »
Clearly, you are doing this thread wrong and just don't get it.  The cart placement is clearly an affront to everything decent in the world, despite the fact that it impacted precisely no one.

You just jinxed yourself.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
I spoke to my Brother-In-Law who handles claims at a large Auto Insurer, as well as my Wife's Uncle, who is a supervisor at another VERY large multi line insurer.
This was like over a month ago, and I totally forgot about it until I read this thread again.
They both said there are shit loads of calls that come in regarding damage to cars from shopping carts.  They rarely make a claim, as the Store isn't liable, and the person who put it there is usually long gone.  But it clearly impacts precisely a shit ton of people.  And due to the deductibles, they end up paying out of pocket to fix it, if they fix it at all.

I did ask them if any of those carts that damaged their policy holders' cars were in a Cart Corral.  They thought I was joking, and looked at me funny, and promptly started drinking their beers again.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline pg1067

« Reply #509 on: September 10, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
The more this thread goes on, the more I feel like there's a really good video game to be made here  I'm picturing something with 80s/early 90s graphics (a la Paperboy).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2018, 03:39:19 PM »
The more this thread goes on, the more I feel like there's a really good video game to be made here  I'm picturing something with 80s/early 90s graphics (a la Paperboy).

Leisure Suit Larry. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2018, 03:47:15 PM »
Paperboy was AWESOME!  I used to love busting windows on the haunted house.  And busting dogs in the chops with newspapers.  As an actual paperboy at the time, it allowed me to vent a lot of pent-up frustration.  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »

I can see it. And the further along you go, the less people seem to care about it and you have to cause more and more damage to get their attention. Bosk can be the final level where you have to go nuclear to get him upset about the whole thing.

I dig it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »
Paperboy was AWESOME!  I used to love busting windows on the haunted house.  And busting dogs in the chops with newspapers.  As an actual paperboy at the time, it allowed me to vent a lot of pent-up frustration.  :lol

HAHAHAHA. We bought one of those Nintendo knock-offs, and it has it on there, I was doing the same thing.. I will never forget the idiots who I delivered papers to.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
I don't have a lot of specific memories of a lot of my customers.  But the customers I do still remember, I remember for pretty specific reasons.  That's all I'll say about that.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »
WTF is Paperboy??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: September 10, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
WTF is Paperboy??

Does kingshmegland have to smack a bitch?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline pg1067

« Reply #518 on: September 10, 2018, 04:36:25 PM »

The handlebar controller made it a novelty, but it was never high on my list of go-to arcade games.  I had a paper route for about two years in high school and shared it with my best friend most of the time.  There were houses where we set up trick shots (getting it on the porch from the street or putting it into the basketball hoop in the driveway).  The best part was collecting right before Christmas and raking in the tips.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
 :lol

Holy crap I've never seen or heard of that in my life.

The best part was collecting right before Christmas and raking in the tips.

I had a route for a year. The best part was this one house where paper delivery time coincided with nursing the baby time.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: September 10, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Paperboy wasn't metal enough like Defender, Space Invaders and Robotron 2084 for Tim.

Pac Man?  Never heard of it.  To much of a pussy game.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #522 on: September 10, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
:lol

Holy crap I've never seen or heard of that in my life.

Where did you grow up? I want to know in case I ever need a vacation that is completely away from modern society.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #523 on: September 10, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »
The best part was collecting right before Christmas and raking in the tips.

I had a route for a year. The best part was this one house where paper delivery time coincided with nursing the baby time.  :lol

I had a route for three years, morning paper, largest route in the city.  Man, the stories I could tell.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: September 10, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
I had a paper route for a couple years. And I honestly do not have one story.

I loved that game too. Played it recently, for like 30 seconds, before realizing there was no nostalgic value
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'