Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90314 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #385 on: May 28, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
That's because I don't want my cart to ding someone's car like it's happened to me 5 times in my life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #386 on: May 28, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
In the continuing explanation of "it depends," here is another situation I encountered today:  Wife wanted me to meet her at a discount place where she had bought a number of items.  I came and loaded them into the car, and was then left with what to do with the empty cart.  This store does not have clerks to retrieve them.  It has no corrals.  It also had a sloped parking lot with no "safe" place to leave carts where they would not roll.  So I took it back inside the store.  The lack of staff to retrieve them and lack of corral outside would have led me to do that anyway.  But the lack of ANYWHERE "safe" to leave them outside the store doubly made that the best choice.  Again, it depends.  This situation is a far cry from the typical Costco run.

I'm calling BS on this one only because where you live is too flat to have any slopes...at all...anywhere...

:lol  You must have forgotten where I live then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #387 on: May 28, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
You should've put it back there regardless of whether or not they had staff to do it, because you're already there and closer to the corral than the employee and by god that cart could have gone rogue between the time you left it there and whenever the employees get to it.

*goes back to stewing miserably in the corner*  :lol :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #388 on: May 28, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
In the continuing explanation of "it depends," here is another situation I encountered today:  Wife wanted me to meet her at a discount place where she had bought a number of items.  I came and loaded them into the car, and was then left with what to do with the empty cart.  This store does not have clerks to retrieve them.  It has no corrals.  It also had a sloped parking lot with no "safe" place to leave carts where they would not roll.  So I took it back inside the store.  The lack of staff to retrieve them and lack of corral outside would have led me to do that anyway.  But the lack of ANYWHERE "safe" to leave them outside the store doubly made that the best choice.  Again, it depends.  This situation is a far cry from the typical Costco run.

I'm calling BS on this one only because where you live is too flat to have any slopes...at all...anywhere...

Actually I don't know specifically what part you live, but damn is Sac flat man.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »

Actually I don't know specifically what part you live, but damn is Sac flat man.

Yes, but I live in the foothills. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: May 28, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
With his cornpipe, rocking chair and a shotgun.  AMIRITE? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #391 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
No pipe.  But otherwise...let's just say you didn't miss the mark by much.  :lol

NOW SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »
 :lol

king = Ned Beatty.   :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #393 on: May 28, 2018, 06:31:23 PM »
Hi Tim.  Look at how far away the corral is.  Any kids outside to take my carriage? Nope.

So I walked my cart over and put it in the corral because of management's incompetence to staff correctly.  So I wanted to do the right thing.

IT'S YOUR FAULT TIM THAT CUSTOMERS HAVE TO DO THIS!! :lol :lol :lol

it's like the flight attendant always says: "And keep in mind, your nearest exit corral may be behind you."

Haha.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: May 28, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
Busy day at the grocery! :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
No pipe.  But otherwise...let's just say you didn't miss the mark by much.  :lol

NOW SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!

Sacramento is the Midwest of California.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »
So... went to the gym last weekend, found some stray carts in front of the gym where I usually park. This parking lot is absolutely massive, even if you filled up every single parking space you'd still have the other half of the plaza in front of the parking spaces that's just empty pavement. At the end of the plaza (it's just one gigantic rectangle essentially, with a horizontal row of businesses at the end) you have a strip of small businesses and then taking up almost half the strip on the right is Rural King, a massive farm supply store that's a chain in the midwest. Okay, so, their side of the lot is usually busy, the rest of the lot (probably 60% of the whole plaza) is spacious. There's usually less than 10 cars at a time on the entire side of the plaza. It's several hundred feet from Rural King to the gym, to give you an idea...

Someone who went to RK decided to park hundreds of feet away, and drag the carts all the way over there. Then they left 'em there. So I parked my shiny, newly painted car way out in the boonies to avoid the carts. I go in and do my cardio and stare at them, only to see them start to move as the wind picks up. Immediately left and dragged those fuckers back to RK myself to completely eliminate any chance of them rolling my way or into anyone else's car. I wish I took pictures of the lot to give you an idea of how big this place is and how asinine it is to park that far away when you know you'll get a cart and then drag the cart that far away and leave it there, especially in a lot that is not entirely flat (I've seen shopping carts in the grass on the other end of the plaza).

The sad thing is... that's the umpteenth time I've seen that. Too often I see people dragging carts to the other end of the plaza because they didn't park closer... Put your $&*%ing carts up and stop being lazy
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »
I was parking at the grocery store the other day, turned down a row to pull into a spot, and I see a rolling cart. It clearly came from the spot I was parking in, left by the asshole that just drove away. Luckily I had enough time to get out, run over (recovering from hip surgery), and save the car 70 ft. away... Took a pic of the cart, in motion, middle of the drive, and sent it to a friend I mentioned this discussion to. His response, "Some people just wanna watch the world burn..." :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
???  Why are there shopping carts at the gym?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »

I thought I explained that, but I'll try again...

The plaza is one freaking massive parking lot. At the end of the lot is a horizontal line (strip) of buildings. On the left half are a bunch of small businesses - beauty supply store, restaurant, small churches, the 24/7 gym - and on the right is one massive store, Rural King, that shares one of its walls with the business directly next store. RK's side of the lot/plaza is almost half of the plaza, they have a couple corrals right there for easy storing. It takes several hundred feet of walking to get from RK to where these carts were, directly in front of the gym. Someone brought the carts from the intended store all the way out into the boonies. Which means an employee would have to take time to walk all over the plaza (I've seen an employee do this while I was in the gym, actually, and it took him around 10 minutes to go gather up one cart at the completely opposite end of the plaza, in the grass, with some others). This happens all the time... because people don't put things away when they're done using them.

EDIT: By god, I managed to find an actual photo of the very lot I'm talking about. Looks like it's years old but the layout (and sparse number of vehicles) is exactly the same. There's a whole lot of real estate on the left that isn't in the photo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: August 24, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »

To pick up chicks of course.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »
So the gym shares a parking lot with these stores that have shopping carts?  (I don't know what "RK" is, so that's part of the confusion).  I guess that makes more sense now then.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: August 24, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
So the gym shares a parking lot with these stores that have shopping carts?  (I don't know what "RK" is, so that's part of the confusion).  I guess that makes more sense now then.

Sigh... it's explained right there in the first post, dude. But yes, it does. And much to my amazement, there's no shortage of people who park way on the other end in front of the other stores, then drag carts from RK all the way over there and just leave them there (the lot dips greatly on that other side, as well, and in winter it also becomes an ice rink, so)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #403 on: August 24, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »
*wags finger*

You boys need to settle down.  :lol

Joking, and no offense intended. Just trying to diffuse tension. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: August 24, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »
Only the Sword of a Thousand Truths is sharp enough to cut this tension. And one of those truths is that SHOPPING CARTS GO IN THE CORRAL.  :biggrin: :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #405 on: August 24, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
Ok zombie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: August 24, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
Ok zombie.

I don't know what this means.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »

Apparently, "Rural King" is some sort of "everything under one roof" store.  It's "America's Farm and Home Store" and seems to be a combination Home Depot/sporting goods/hunting/toy/grocery/clothing store, primarily in Florida and the Great Lakes states.

Kattelox, I'm thinking maybe you need to carry a Tensator barrier in your car or something.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
Kattelox, I'm thinking maybe you need to carry a Tensator barrier in your car or something.

No! It's not because the store tells you to, but because it's common decency! You should do it out of respect for those around you and their vehicles and not leaving the store's property all over the got dang place!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »
For the record, all carts go back in the corral...CORRECTLY. If you've ever worked parking lot duty in retail, you know the huge sigh you make when you see all the dumbasses with the carts backwards, sideways, etc., in the f'in corral. Bunch of degenerates.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #411 on: August 28, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »

No! It's not because the store tells you to, but because it's common decency! You should do it out of respect for those around you and their vehicles and not leaving the store's property all over the got dang place!

What is your opinion on courtesy flushing? I personally don't do it, and I'll explain why. You see, I have no intentions of stinking up the bathroom, but such is life. I also don't want to give the person who may be waiting the wrong idea. "The toilet flushed! They're coming out!" The last thing I want is someone getting impatient because the toilet flushed and they start banging on the door. I mean, if I have the shits, and I've courtesy flushed right when someone is in earshot, I can't exactly say "just a minute", and I definitely don't want to say, "I have the shits, I'll be in here a while!"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: August 28, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
I forgot to mention this, but the Sunday before last, I witnessed a Costco employee roving the parking lot, pulling carts off of curbs and putting them in a corral. I started laughing out loud and Mrs. P asked me what was so funny. I told her about this thread and some posters attitude about putting carts in the corral. In a very Hef like manner, she lowered her eyebrows and said, "You I need to stop spending time around people who intellectualize being assholes."  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »

Oh and this past Sunday,

ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
If you've ever worked parking lot duty in retail, you know the huge sigh you make when you see all the dumbasses with the carts backwards, sideways, etc., in the f'in corral. Bunch of degenerates.  :lol

What is "Parking lot duty?" Wouldn't retrieving carts not returned to the corral or arranging them properly while in the corral be part of the job and thus not worthy of a huge sigh? If all the carts were properly returned, would a store even need someone on that duty? I get that it makes it a little harder, but it's not like being a hotel housekeeper or pool cleaner and having Keith Moon stay at your establishment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
If all the carts were properly returned, would a store even need someone on that duty?

BINGO!!!!!

The entire reason they're there.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »

Oh and this past Sunday,

ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

I could make a career out of producing Darwin awards.  Only problem is, there would never be enough to go around.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
If all the carts were properly returned, would a store even need someone on that duty?

BINGO!!!!!

The entire reason they're there.

Except you managers mishandle hours cutting these kids leaving hour gaps with anyone out there.   I bet the carts were made to save you jacjasses money. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: August 28, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »
What is your opinion on courtesy flushing? I personally don't do it, and I'll explain why. You see, I have no intentions of stinking up the bathroom, but such is life. I also don't want to give the person who may be waiting the wrong idea. "The toilet flushed! They're coming out!" The last thing I want is someone getting impatient because the toilet flushed and they start banging on the door. I mean, if I have the shits, and I've courtesy flushed right when someone is in earshot, I can't exactly say "just a minute", and I definitely don't want to say, "I have the shits, I'll be in here a while!"

This is a shitty question.

Seriously, though: I don't think this is a comparable situation. I also don't shit in public as long as I can help it.  :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: August 28, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
I forgot to mention this, but the Sunday before last, I witnessed a Costco employee roving the parking lot, pulling carts off of curbs and putting them in a corral. I started laughing out loud and Mrs. P asked me what was so funny. I told her about this thread and some posters attitude about putting carts in the corral. In a very Hef like manner, she lowered her eyebrows and said, "You I need to stop spending time around people who intellectualize being assholes."  :lol

:rollin