Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90284 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
Jingle.
Americans and Canadians are vastly different  - cultural norms - expectations of service etc etc.

as another example "taking the bus" . Many MANY American's think it's completely beneath them or a sign of "lower class citizenry" to ride the bus. We have people from large transit authorities coming to Ottawa all the time trying to figure out how we get the rider numbers we get. Perfectly good AMG Mercedes owning people take the bus religiously rather than drive their cars. Aint got nothing to do with class....

I notice in our city many of the shopping cart corale fetcher people are mentally handicapped folks who are happy doing it - and happy to have a meaningful form of employment. I still bring the cart to the corale and I'm happy to do so

I see plenty of well off people in my line of work taking the bus on a daily basis. I tried it for a month and had to abandon it because it's way too slow. The bus added at least 35 minutes to my commute each way, and that's assuming the bus was on time. I can't tell you how many days I waited at the bus stop for an extra 20-30 minutes because a bus never showed. I was leaving my house at 6:00am every morning instead of 6:40, and I was getting home at 5:45 pm or later instead of 5:00pm like when I drive. I'd love to have a public transport option that was actually efficient.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »
Of course putting the Costco shopping cart at the four corners on occasion is for MY convenience (is there a "royal my"?).  But that doesn't necessarily equate to "laziness."  It equates to "that's what we do here.  Sometimes.  When it is appropriate."

It can be both ya know.   ;)  Lazy:  it's what we do here. :lol

I don't think there's an indictment (at least not from me) of that behaviour if that is the norm for your area/city.  I think the bigger frustration is in the vehemence by which the argument of 'it's perfectly acceptable THEREFORE not lazy".  Again... own the fact that it's perfectly acceptable ... to be lazy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
Of course putting the Costco shopping cart at the four corners on occasion is for MY convenience (is there a "royal my"?).  But that doesn't necessarily equate to "laziness."  It equates to "that's what we do here.  Sometimes.  When it is appropriate."

It can be both ya know.   ;)  Lazy:  it's what we do here. :lol

I don't think there's an indictment (at least not from me) of that behaviour if that is the norm for your area/city.  I think the bigger frustration is in the vehemence by which the argument of 'it's perfectly acceptable THEREFORE not lazy".  Again... own the fact that it's perfectly acceptable ... to be lazy.

Okay, but my point is subtly different.  The context is that, although not from you, the thread itself absolutely IS a moral indictment (or at least, an attempt at one) from certain people who think their viewpoint MUST be imposed as the cultural norm on all others, and those who fail to comply are somehow moral deviants.  My point in response to that is simply, "not necessarily."  And all I can use to speak to that is my own experience and the like experiences of others around here. 

For some, it might very well be laziness.  Heck, for myself, I can say that on some occasions, it was more laziness than not.  But on plenty of others, laziness had nothing to do with it.  That's all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #353 on: April 27, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
I look at it as common courtesy because most carts will travel by themselves with little wind because most parking lots have a slight gradient for drainage.  You don't have to put it in the corral but I can't tell you the times I found a cart that hit me car.  It's enraging.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #354 on: April 27, 2018, 10:17:38 AM »
I haven't seen carts do that.  But the...I don't know what you call them...the orange platform carts that Home Depot has for lumber and such...THOSE seem to roll with even the slightest pitch.  Plus, you can't really prop those up on a curb on the H.  Those ALWAYS go back in the corral or at the front of the store.  Actually, come to think of it, Home Depot is one of those places where the parking lot is such that there really aren't any good places for the carts other than the corral, so that's one place where I don't think I've left mine anywhere else (and it is a lot more rare to see carts around the lot there as well). 

But, again, that kinda goes to my point anyway, that folks here tend to just go with whatever works in a given situation, taking whatever the circumstances are at a given store into account, and nobody seems bothered about it (well, I shouldn't say "nobody"--I actually once saw a lady rip into someone for leaving his cart on the H.  But she had out of state plates on her car, so there you go).  You can physically see the Costco I mentioned above from the Home Depot parking lot, and if you drive over there, you see carts everywhere.  So it just depends.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »
It's also bad managing letting the carts pile up but it happens all the time.  Like I said in a previous post.  I set a schedule for those to go outside.  it the weather was nice, they'd have a longer stretch out there.  It the weather was poor.  Shorter shifts getting the carriages.

Funny story.  When I was 16, they called it "Shagging" carriages.   I had a friend who just moved to America from England and I told him that I shagged carriages.  He busted out laughing and told me what it meant in England.(This is before Austin Powers) :lol  I told him I was a whore I guess. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »
It's also bad managing letting the carts pile up but it happens all the time.  Like I said in a previous post.  I set a schedule for those to go outside.  it the weather was nice, they'd have a longer stretch out there.  It the weather was poor.  Shorter shifts getting the carriages.

Yeah, pretty much.  And some stores are better at it than others.  At said Home Depot, for example, it isn't uncommon to see the corrals full and carts piled up around them.  I usually just take mine back to the front of the store in that case.  But they are so understaffed as it is that I don't get bothered by it.  It just is what it is.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #357 on: May 08, 2018, 06:48:37 AM »
Funny story.  When I was 16, they called it "Shagging" carriages.   I had a friend who just moved to America from England and I told him that I shagged carriages.  He busted out laughing and told me what it meant in England.(This is before Austin Powers) :lol  I told him I was a whore I guess. :lol

That reminds me of the moment when I really thought about when my dad used to say "shag ass" to hurry up. Kind of puts stuff like "we better shag ass or we'll be late to church" in a very strange context.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #358 on: May 08, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »

That reminds me of the moment when I really thought about when my dad used to say "shag ass" to hurry up. Kind of puts stuff like "we better shag ass or we'll be late to church" in a very strange context.

I have never heard that saying before but now I want to use it around my friends. Reminds me of all the stupid/funny things my dad says, like if you're trying to do something but getting nowhere, he'll say "quit fucking with your shorts on"  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »

Before the collective blood pressure gets too low - defiant hero, or wretched scourge? ;)

Seen at Target on my lunch break today. I’m a corral user for the record, and don’t judge those who don’t, but this... This is hilarious.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #360 on: May 10, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
:lol  Despite my role as Defender of the Non-Corral Users, I don't get why you would do that. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 10, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
Yeah. It's not even over the H!  :facepalm:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #362 on: May 10, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »
And there are no barriers on the H to keep it from rolling.  And the corral is RIGHT THERE.  And...yeah...

Offline Lethean

« Reply #363 on: May 10, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
I have to confess -  I would totally judge someone for leaving that cart there.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 10, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
And that's why you put the dang carts back in the gosh dang corral.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #365 on: May 10, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »

Wow Snow Dog. You are right there on the Front Line.

And I thought this photographer had balls.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:16 PM »
 :lol

But seriously, that's a perfect example why I am so against not putting them back.  This is not an unusual site in NJ.  And it's fairly reasonable to think a person didn't just leave the cart there and it moved there from the wind.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
I brought up this whole discussion to a buddy of mine, cuz let's face it... it's absurd in the bestest of ways! So he sends me a text this afternoon of a cart parked on the H, with the accompanying message, "Some people just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #368 on: May 10, 2018, 03:15:18 PM »
15 pages about this... I gotta read this thread other time.  :corn

I'm a single dude, my groceries fit into a shopping basket just fine. :biggrin: No need for carts whatsoever... don't think my corner store has any anyway.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #369 on: May 10, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
And I thought this photographer had balls.

what about the guy that took this picture?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #370 on: May 10, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »
Wow, that’s deep, man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: May 10, 2018, 03:45:57 PM »
That son of a bitch probably didn't put his cart back before he flew overseas.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #372 on: May 10, 2018, 03:52:32 PM »
That son of a bitch probably didn't put his cart back before he flew overseas.

Why else would he have that look of regret in his eyes?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: May 10, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
Maybe he left the stove on.  I hate that feeling.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #374 on: May 28, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »
In the continuing explanation of "it depends," here is another situation I encountered today:  Wife wanted me to meet her at a discount place where she had bought a number of items.  I came and loaded them into the car, and was then left with what to do with the empty cart.  This store does not have clerks to retrieve them.  It has no corrals.  It also had a sloped parking lot with no "safe" place to leave carts where they would not roll.  So I took it back inside the store.  The lack of staff to retrieve them and lack of corral outside would have led me to do that anyway.  But the lack of ANYWHERE "safe" to leave them outside the store doubly made that the best choice.  Again, it depends.  This situation is a far cry from the typical Costco run.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #375 on: May 28, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
Hypocrite.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: May 28, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »
Hi Tim.  Look at how far away the corral is.  Any kids outside to take my carriage? Nope.

So I walked my cart over and put it in the corral because of management's incompetence to staff correctly.  So I wanted to do the right thing.

IT'S YOUR FAULT TIM THAT CUSTOMERS HAVE TO DO THIS!! :lol :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »
The customer's always gullable right!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
The customer has to do the manager's job! ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: May 28, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Yup..

No baggers
Self Checkout

Definitely!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #380 on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
Park closer to the coral next time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
In the continuing explanation of "it depends," here is another situation I encountered today:  Wife wanted me to meet her at a discount place where she had bought a number of items.  I came and loaded them into the car, and was then left with what to do with the empty cart.  This store does not have clerks to retrieve them.  It has no corrals.  It also had a sloped parking lot with no "safe" place to leave carts where they would not roll.  So I took it back inside the store.  The lack of staff to retrieve them and lack of corral outside would have led me to do that anyway.  But the lack of ANYWHERE "safe" to leave them outside the store doubly made that the best choice.  Again, it depends.  This situation is a far cry from the typical Costco run.

I'm calling BS on this one only because where you live is too flat to have any slopes...at all...anywhere...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »

I'm harassing Tim.  I have no issues putting my cart in a corral no matter the distance.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
Yup..

No baggers
Self Checkout

Definitely!

Imagine, they can cut the assistant managers job by doing that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »

I'm harassing Tim.  I have no issues putting my cart in a corral no matter the distance.

That's cuz you're a suckah!