Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90210 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
Yes.  And in Cailfornia, we have free range carts that don't like being corralled.  In fact, it stunts their growth and makes the meat taste funny.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
The people who actual do the jobs where the corrals were constructed say that you are wrong.

I think the fault in your argument is taking what this one shopping cart lot attendant opinion as the truth.  It may be the truth for his lot, like say if the corral is so far back in the lot that it is more annoying for him to walk all the way back there when everyone else leaves them upfront in the 4 corners (I still don't understand this, but maybe I missed the explanation in this thread somewhere).  But in any average parking lot scenario, I can't see how it would be easier or more efficient for this worker to pick the carts up from a couple locations vs. scattered all around the lot. 

And also, costco is busy enough that usually someone will just grab your cart anyway which makes the whole argument moot  :lol

Well, no, you missed the point.  First off, the very point of the thread is based on the premise that there is virtually a universal truth that every shopping cart MUST always be put into a cart corral after every use, no exceptions, and that not doing so is a moral failure.  So, yes, even ONE exception would disprove that.

But if you've been following my posts (and others in the thread), it isn't just ONE courtesy clerk.  It is several.  At different stores. 

So the point is that, at least out here, among apparently MOST of the population in this area (or at least a significant number), that isn't the custom.  And an outsider has no business passing judgment and namecalling on customs they don't (or don't want to) understand that are different from their own.  That's about as ridiculous as me trying to argue to the Germans who have posted in this thread that their custom is offensive to me and, therefore, "wrong."  Whether or not I agree with or like their own custom (and I happen to like it, for the record), who am I to pass judgment on what they as a society collectively see as a good thing?

You bumped an older thread and I didn't reread so I might of forgotten and missed previous examples.  But I don't think I labelled anyone as anything (the only think I can think of to describe not returning it is "lazy" but even then, there are examples where that is not true so I don't think a blanket statement helps anything here) and even provided an example of how it might not be the best case scenario for the clerk.  But I still can't find a scenario that is better for everyone because the cart may damage a vehicle (and I believe you said you would put it in a spot that wouldn't, so that's not directed at you) but I think everyone's seen an unattended cart rolling through the lot before.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
Maybe if we rename them "Cart Sanctuaries" the left coast folks will hustle them in.    :biggrin:
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:19 AM »
I think this topic has good enough ideas to write a book about it. Maybe "Shopping Cart Philosophy".  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #284 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
You bumped an older thread and I didn't reread so I might of forgotten and missed previous examples.  But I don't think I labelled anyone as anything...

No, no, sorry--I wasn't trying to say that YOU labeled anyone.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

...but I think everyone's seen an unattended cart rolling through the lot before.

Actually, I don't think I ever have.  I mean, I've seen my own get away once or twice as it was sitting behind my car and I was trying to get it unloaded, and it started to roll away (which happens more often than you might think with parents of small children when they take their kid out of the cart and are distracted getting the child buckled up, etc. :lol).  But otherwise, no, not that I can recall.  But we also don't often have crazy high wind situations very much either, and most lots have to be pretty flat for our local state version of the ADA, so maybe that plays in.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
Maybe if we rename them "Cart Sanctuaries" the left coast folks will hustle them in.    :biggrin:

:lol  :tup

I think this topic has good enough ideas to write a book about it. Maybe "Shopping Cart Philosophy".  ;D

:lol  :tup  :lol  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
Well, at least we've got some quality brevity now.  Well done Angel... well done.  :clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
...but I think everyone's seen an unattended cart rolling through the lot before.

Actually, I don't think I ever have.  I mean, I've seen my own get away once or twice as it was sitting behind my car and I was trying to get it unloaded, and it started to roll away (which happens more often than you might think with parents of small children when they take their kid out of the cart and are distracted getting the child buckled up, etc. :lol).  But otherwise, no, not that I can recall.  But we also don't often have crazy high wind situations very much either, and most lots have to be pretty flat for our local state version of the ADA, so maybe that plays in.  :dunno:

I guess that's possible.  I'm just assuming that I've seen it enough to think it's probably a normal occurrence and maybe even a reason to install corrals in the first place.  I've had to run to catch them before from hitting other peoples cars just because it happened in front of me and I'd feel bad just letting it happen.  It's things like that which make me feel like I should always return the cart.  I don't really consider the clerk when returning them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »
We here in Phoenix, we put our carts behind people's cars, and we don't appreciate some outsider telling us what we should do. It's a custom and if you don't like it, go somewhere else and mind your own business.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
I've been told that in some European countries, it's customary to pick up the carts and put them on top of people's cars.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
Hell, in some places, I hear they'll smash the cart into your car on purpose if you're ballsy enough to bring your vehicle to the lot!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:25 AM »
I love this thread.  :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
The hell is wrong with all of you? Good lord.

Who in Cage' holy name uses a cart at all anymore? Don't you guys just drive your cars through the store?

I mean, sure....it's messy and inconsiderate. But they have people whose job it is to clean that stuff up. Damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
You have a row of parking spaces facing one direction.  As you pull into a space, there is another row facing you from directly across.  So the lines look something like:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Every space (except the end ones) has a corner that is common to the four adjacent parking spaces--hence, "four corners."  As in:  the place where most civilized people leave their shopping carts after loading their cars.

When I was a kid and my mother would take me grocery shopping, it was a fairly regular occurrence that she would have me get out of the car to move a shopping cart so that she could pull into a parking space.  That would have been circa 35-45 years ago.  Neither of us ever considered the cart's presence to be an affront to humanity.

I'm squarely in Bosk's corner.  If the parking lot is laid out in the "H" configuration mentioned, that's exactly what I do with my cart.  It doesn't block any of the spaces.  However, my local grocery store has a bunch of landscaped islands between rows of parking spaces, so what I do more often is put the cart between my space and the space to the left, with the front wheels of the cart popped up on the island so that the cart can't accidentally roll away.  If I happen to be parked a space or two away from the corral, I'll take it back.  Otherwise, I will go out of my way only enough to make sure the cart doesn't get in someone else's way.

It baffles me that folks think this is a big deal.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
I prop it on islands sometimes too if the corral is a mile away, but I've seen carts pushed in the H Zone when the corral is 2 spaces away.

So calling someone lazy when they are clearly being so and hilariously trying to justify it is considered namecalling and offensive now?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »
I prop it on islands sometimes too if the corral is a mile away, but I've seen carts pushed in the H Zone when the corral is 2 spaces away.

So calling someone lazy when they are clearly being so and hilariously trying to justify it is considered namecalling and offensive now?

Seriously. Curb/island/whatever is 5 feet away. Corral is 20. Corral keeps all carts within a barricade and bundled together. If you put the cart on the island because it's closer that is textbook laziness. Can't be any simpler.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
I think I've posted my opinion in this thread before (which basically aligns with people who argue it's a common courtesy to return carts to the collars, unless it's your regional thing), but I'm just going to remark on one thing and then get the hell out of this thread. In my, and only my opinion (and it's not like it matters, really) this sentence, as it reads, directed at any participant of this discussion:

if you think carts MUST be put into corrals every time, you just don't know what the corrals are for and need to mind your own business.

is no less condescending and offensive than calling someone "lazy and disrespectful".

I'm also going to say, it's kind of amusing to see this thread resurrected and the old war between pro- and anti-corral people being kindled again. Good times.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
In my, and only my opinion (and it's not like it matters, really) this sentence, as it reads, directed at any participant of this discussion:

if you think carts MUST be put into corrals every time, you just don't know what the corrals are for and need to mind your own business.

is no less condescending and offensive than calling someone "lazy and disrespectful".

Fair enough, and I apologize if it was taken that way.  I do not mean to offend or condescend.  I'm not sure how to say it much differently, but my point is simply:  If group A engages in a custom that nobody in that group and nobody that it impacts finds offensive or harmful in any way, shape, or form, then outsiders have no business casting judgment on it.  See my noodle slurping example earlier in the thread.  That shouldn't be an offensive concept.  But, again, apologies for the wording coming across that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:  I'm bothered by the fact that Evermind, and possibly others, felt that my comment was condescending, so I'm going to offer another example to more clearly illustrate what I meant.  Let's take the example of how, in Mexico, everything shuts down for siesta time for a couple of hours in the middle of the afternoon, and then people go back to work.  That is culturally agreed-upon, and WIDELY accepted in that culture.  Or, let's take the very laid back attitude toward...well, basically everything, but especially workplace drive...that is pretty prevalent in Jamaica.  Now, let's transplant that to, say, Wall Street.  If you have a worker that, against his employer's expectations, decides on his own that he is going to leave his intense, fast-paced office environment for an hour and a half every day and take a nap right during the heart of the work day, his boss is going to be PISSED.  He will be called out for being lazy.  And, perhaps in that environment, rightly so.  Or the guy who, in the same environment, basically takes his time doing "passable" work in "as long as it takes him," and not burying the needle in terms of trying to promote as far and as fast as humanly possible.  In that environment, it might be passable to call the person out as not being ambitious.  But Wall Street is a different environment than Mexico or Jamaica.  So, for a Wall Street manager to call out Mexicans as being lazy for what they do in Mexico or Jamaicans as being unambitious for what they do in Jamaica is wrong on so many levels.  Said Wall Street Manager needs to mind his own business if he's going to call out other people for not thinking the way he does.  It's just not his call to make in singling out a different school of thought as "lazy" or "unambitious."  The "mind your own business" isn't meant to be condescending.  It's meant to say, "you don't understand, so quit throwing labels around that don't apply, and maybe think about not being so judgmental."

To bring that back to what's being discussed in this thread, again, it isn't necessarily "lazy" or "immoral" or...any of the terms with negative connotations that have been thrown around.  Yeah, it might be in a lot of contexts.  But context matters.  For it to be "lazy," there has to be an expectation of contrary behavior, and then a blowing off of that expectation because "yeah, I know that's what I should do, but I can't be bothered."  And at least here, in the specific situations I mentioned, it isn't an expectation.  Maybe it is where you live.  And that's cool.  But it's no more "lazy" than taking a nap in the middle of your workday if you live in Mexico where pretty much EVERYBODY does that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:35:48 PM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
In my, and only my opinion (and it's not like it matters, really) this sentence, as it reads, directed at any participant of this discussion:

Fair enough, and I apologize if it was taken that way.  I do not mean to offend or condescend.  I'm not sure how to say it much differently, but my point is simply:  If group A engages in a custom that nobody in that group and nobody that it impacts finds offensive or harmful in any way, shape, or form, then outsiders have no business casting judgment on it.  See my noodle slurping example earlier in the thread.  That shouldn't be an offensive concept.  But, again, apologies for the wording coming across that way.

But... it does impact and offend people, so there is absolutely room to cast judgment on it. By not putting the carts in the corrals, that leaves open the possibility of a cart damaging someone's vehicle. And often it isn't cheap to fix some of that damage. I've seen it a lot even since this thread was made. Just a few weeks ago we repaired somebody's passenger door that got slammed by a cart. Not cheap. If the cart was in the corral, problem solved. Hence casting judgment on that behavior.

Until we agree to disagree, bosk, I'm on you like Homer on donuts.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
But... it does impact and offend people, so there is absolutely room to cast judgment on it. By not putting the carts in the corrals, that leaves open the possibility of a cart damaging someone's vehicle. And often it isn't cheap to fix some of that damage. I've seen it a lot even since this thread was made. Just a few weeks ago we repaired somebody's passenger door that got slammed by a cart. Not cheap. If the cart was in the corral, problem solved. Hence casting judgment on that behavior.

Until we agree to disagree, bosk, I'm on you like Homer on donuts.  :lol

Well, read my edit that I just posted.

It does not impact and offend people here.  The expectation and common custom here is that use of the corrals in some situations is strictly optional.  Whether people elsewhere are offended isn't really relevant.  See the Asia/Mexico/Jamaica examples.

And as far as impact, again, I'm talking specifically about situations where precisely NOBODY is impacted.  Yeah, if you leave the cart where it can damage a vehicle, that's obviously not cool.  But for as many times as I've posted in the thread, that is not what I am talking about.  At all.  That is completely a straw man argument. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
But that is bad logic and could be applied to any number of other things in the real world. If we boil this down, this subject is about societal behavior and courtesy. So I think that's a bit of a poor dismissal, to say "It doesn't affect you, so why do you care?" Abortion doesn't affect anybody but the mother and child, so why would anybody else care? See what I'm getting at? It sounds like you want to shut down the objections just because they aren't personally involved in your daily shopping cart shenanigans, but again, we're talking about behavior, so I should be allowed to voice objection to that just like you should be allowed to defend it.

I disagree that it is a straw man argument. It doesn't matter. Even if you leave it propped up somewhere, it could become loose. The corral is intended to keep all of them together - a cart may roll out somehow, but it is intended to prevent, or at worst minimize damage to somebody's vehicle. So, if you leave a cart out at 9 AM, and it becomes loose that afternoon and dings somebody's car at 4 PM when they're in the store - just a hypothetical, go with it - you are technically at fault/responsible for that because you didn't use the corral. You did not responsibly return the cart to the designated, conveniently placed, numerous (you have OPTIONS!) corrals.

:natalieportman:

EDIT: I read your edit, and honestly, no offense, it just sounds like you're talking past the point. The corrals are for putting carts back. You put 'em back so they won't hit somebody's car. Like... that's it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
As someone who gathered carts - people that propped them up on curbs pissed me off. It's a pain in the ass to get off the curb and its right next to the damn corral!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #303 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
Seriously. Curb/island/whatever is 5 feet away. Corral is 20. Corral keeps all carts within a barricade and bundled together. If you put the cart on the island because it's closer that is textbook laziness. Can't be any simpler.

I'd be interested to read that textbook.  If I go to the grocery store to pick up just a couple of things, is it "lazy" if I don't walk through all the aisles?  If I have a power lawnmower and a push mower, is it "lazy" to use the power mower?  Not doing something that there is no good reason to do is not being "lazy."

I think I've posted my opinion in this thread before (which basically aligns with people who argue it's a common courtesy to return carts to the collars

Courteous to whom?  As long as I leave my cart in a place that doesn't inconvenience someone else, what difference does it make?

I take issue with the notion that cars in the corral automatically negates any possibility of damage.  There are basically three options:  (1) cart in the corral; (2) cart not in the corral but left somewhere that it (a) won't inconvenience someone else (e.g., by blocking a parking spot) and (b) isn't reasonably likely to damage someone's car; and (3) cart gets left such that it prevents someone from parking in one or more spaces.  #3 is obviously not ok, but there's nothing inherently better about #1 than #2.  Also, while I'm concerned about "impact," whether something like this happens to "offend" someone else is not something I will ever be concerned about.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
As someone who gathered carts - people that propped them up on curbs pissed me off. It's a pain in the ass to get off the curb and its right next to the damn corral!

Again, if that's the expectation/custom where you are, cool.  People should be aware of and sensitive to that when shopping there.  All I'm saying is, again, that doesn't give anyone the right to pass judgment on people who think differently in places where it is not the expectation/custom.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »

I'd be interested to read that textbook.  If I go to the grocery store to pick up just a couple of things, is it "lazy" if I don't walk through all the aisles?  If I have a power lawnmower and a push mower, is it "lazy" to use the power mower?  Not doing something that there is no good reason to do is not being "lazy."

This is about returning a cart to a corral to prevent it from possibly damaging other cars, taking up space, making the employee waste time gathering them etc. You getting in and efficiently grabbing your food without going into other aisles isn't even the same kind of situation and has nothing to do with laziness because you get nothing out of going into every aisle. These situations are entirely different because there is no potential consequence to another person or their property; leaving a cart out does. Unless you're the kind of demon that aims your push mower to blow everything directly into the road and possibly fling a rock or two at a passing car, in which case, you are a monster.

I take issue with the notion that cars in the corral automatically negates any possibility of damage.  There are basically three options:  (1) cart in the corral; (2) cart not in the corral but left somewhere that it (a) won't inconvenience someone else (e.g., by blocking a parking spot) and (b) isn't reasonably likely to damage someone's car; and (3) cart gets left such that it prevents someone from parking in one or more spaces.  #3 is obviously not ok, but there's nothing inherently better about #1 than #2.  Also, while I'm concerned about "impact," whether something like this happens to "offend" someone else is not something I will ever be concerned about.

For each situation:
1) cart in the corral; best option.
2) cart not in corral, left somewhere else; makes employee waste more time gathering them, cart potentially could become loose or even stolen, which is lost property for the store
3) cart blocks a parking space; we agree that is not okay.

So best option? Put it back... be a courteous individual... take a few extra seconds...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
Nope.  We aren't talking about carts being put in a place where they can damage cars.  We are talking about situations where the drivers/customers aren't impacted in any meaningful way whatsoever.  So that is off the table.  So drivers/customers:  not negatively impacted.

Who else can be impacted?  Courtesy clerks:  They don't care and expect as part of their job to get the carts.  So courtesy clerks:  not negatively impacted.

So, who is left that can be negatively impacted?  Nobody.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »
Wow. Okay, so, the excuse is simply laziness, if it's really not a big deal then. Cool, we agree on that.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
Only if you want say that Mexicans are lazy for taking a siesta in the middle of the day.  There's nothing "lazy" about it.  Just different.  But I'm confused about why you keep applying the same ad hominem to the situation when you can't show any basis for it other than, "it's 'lazy' because I say so."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »
Only if you want say that Mexicans are lazy for taking a siesta in the middle of the day.  There's nothing "lazy" about it.  Just different.  But I'm confused about why you keep applying the same ad hominem to the situation when you can't show any basis for it other than, "it's 'lazy' because I say so."

It is not an ad hominem. You have laid out every situation as nothing of consequence, so the last option is that you simply do not feel like returning them to the corral and will find a closer place to park it, ie laziness. So, on top of misconstruing what I said as some form of personal attack, you then escalate it to equating it to calling all Mexicans lazy. Returning carts and siestas are not comparable. Returning carts is not a cultural thing, it is a behavior of courtesy for others around you.

But please, continue your own ad hominem by blowing my statement up to an almost racist statement! I respect you as an administrator bosk but that is getting pretty offensive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #310 on: April 26, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »
Then address the questions above.  Show me who is being harmed and how.  You haven't and you can't. 

And show me how this isn't exactly like calling Mexicans who partake of siestas in Mexico lazy.  Honestly, I think it's probably one of the most fitting analogies in the history of analogies.  But I will concede that I may be a bit biased in that regard. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:59:44 PM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 26, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
I literally work at a body shop where people's cars come in and get fixed for damage like that. If you're arguing that nobody here is impacted by you leaving a cart out, yes, that is correct, but what is the point then? That doesn't refute the argument that it's not courteous to others around you.

And no, it absolutely is nothing like calling all Mexicans lazy and I seriously do take offense to you escalating it to that point. That's bullshit and more offensive than me ever implying it's lazy to leave a damn shopping cart out. Nonsense. (Edit: I'm going to step away from this thread because that's the only thing said that's actually made me mad, so I'll just leave it there - agree to disagree, bosk.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:58:59 PM by Kattoelox »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #312 on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
EDIT:  I typed the below before you edited to say you were stepping away from the thread.  So don't feel like you have to respond.  I'm cool if you don't, and I'm not the type to "gloat" or take it as a "moral victory" that I "got the last word."  If you choose not to respond, I'll take what you said at face value:  "agree to disagree."

I'll just add to that that I am legitimately curious as to why you are offended by the Mexico analogy though.  It's not meant to be offensive, and I'm not sure why it would be.  But you are welcome to let it go and not respond, or to respond by PM rather than in the thread, if you like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I literally work at a body shop where people's cars come in and get fixed for damage like that. If you're arguing that nobody here is impacted by you leaving a cart out, yes, that is correct, but what is the point then? That doesn't refute the argument that it's not courteous to others around you.

No, I am arguing that nobody whatsoever is impacted by someone here leaving the cart out (provided that it is done the proper way).  That's why so many people here routinely do it.  Because everybody here feels it is okay.  Again, show me who is impacted in this scenario.

And since you seem to be bothered by the Mexican analogy, although I can't fathom why, here's maybe a better one, although fictitious:
Person A takes meticulous care of his lawn, and doesn't like anyone on it, period.  He makes that known, and everybody who lives near him knows it.  He's a good guy.  He just doesn't like people on his lawn.
Person B takes meticulous care of his lawn because he likes the way it looks when he does, but he doesn't really care one way or the other whether people walk on it or not, as long as they are reasonably careful not to tear it up.  Yeah, there usually isn't a reason to walk on it, other than taking a shortcut of about 10 steps if you are going around the corner (he lives on a corner lot), and of course, ANY time you walk on it at all, it obviously does SOME miniscule damage, as opposed to not walking on it at all.  But he really doesn't care.
Person C takes meticulous care of his lawn to have it be a play area for the neighborhood kids.  Given the time and expense he puts into it for that purpose, he is kind of bothered when the kids DON'T come use it.

Obviously, stepping all over person A's lawn is a jerk move.  He doesn't like it.  Everyone knows that.  So stepping all over his lawn is rude and inconsiderate.  At the other extreme, stepping on person C's lawn is not only fine, it is expected.  Definitively NOT rude to step on his lawn.  What about person B?  Really, no difference to person C in terms of being decidedly NOT rude (provided that one exercises reasonable care).  CAN you just go around and take 10 more steps?  Sure.  Is it rude or lazy not to?  Nope.  Because person B (the person in charge of said lawn) doesn't care. 

That being said, is it rude and pretentious for Person A to impose their morals on people who step on Person B's lawn, when it doesn't impact Person A in the slightest?  Yeah, it pretty much is because it doesn't impact him at all, and the only person it does impact doesn't care, so it isn't a negative impact.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: April 26, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
Before I take my final bow, you really can't fathom why you implying my statement is akin to a racist remark is offensive? That's just more reason to let it go. Peace, my dude.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #314 on: April 26, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
Cmon guys, this is just shopping carts. You are going on about it as if it was a matter of life and death. Why not found a new religion for the people who put the carts back in the corral and for those who don't?  ;D