Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90290 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »
Shopping carts are available inside or just outside the store. The corrals are for the used shopping carts to be stored so the courtesy clerk can collect them and return them to the store.  Source: Zookipedia

Offline jammindude

« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »
What monster doesn't put the carts in the corral?    They put those things there JUST so you don't have to take it back to the store, and yet that's *still* not enough convenience?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
Customer: I can't be bothered to put a cart in the corral.

Employee: Hey! Don't put it in the corral.  Its more work for Me!

Me: Am I losing my mind?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
???  I thought we already established that they are for shopping carts.

Guess I misunderstood your comment:

if you think carts MUST be put into corrals every time, you just don't know what the corrals are for and need to mind your own business.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
  if you think carts MUST be put into corrals every time, you just don't know what the corrals are for and need to mind your own business.

Thank you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »

Oh, I see.  Difference between "can" and "must."  Carts can be put in the corrals.  A lot of times, that's a good option.  Must they always be put there?  No.

Kind of like:  When I go to a restaurant, can I order using the menu?  Sure.  Must I?  No.  If I already know what I want, I can politely tell my server that I don't need the menu he or she is handing me, and just place my order.

In both cases, I am choosing whether or not to use the item that has been provided for my convenience and expedience.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »
Fair enough.  I thought that might've been how you meant it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2018, 08:52:16 PM »
By the way, I was at our local Costco last night after work to pick up a couple of items.  As I pulled into my parking spot, there were carts neatly propped in "the 4 corners" of each spot (i.e., so they were out of the way and wouldn't roll into other cars), as there usually are.  When I came out, I pulled my cart over to my car and unloaded.  Because "the 4 corners" by my spot were already occupied, I started walking my cart to the corral, which was actually a bit of a ways off from the store.  On the way there, the kindly Costco employee whose job it was to retrieve carts yelled out to me from a couple of rows over and asked me what I was doing, and why I would make his job harder by taking my cart out to the corral way out in BFE instead of leaving it at the 4 corners like a "normal" person.  So, take that, shopping cart corral Nazis!   :P

Like their job is hard. Hell they have machines that push the carts for them now. The corrals also make it easier just push machine gather carts corral, job done.

Leaving them in the 4 corners would make it harder I would think.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »
I worked at a grocery store for 8 years.

I not once cried "shagging" carriages.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2018, 08:55:56 PM »

Oh, I see.  Difference between "can" and "must."  Carts can be put in the corrals.  A lot of times, that's a good option.  Must they always be put there?  No.

Kind of like:  When I go to a restaurant, can I order using the menu?  Sure.  Must I?  No.  If I already know what I want, I can politely tell my server that I don't need the menu he or she is handing me, and just place my order.

In both cases, I am choosing whether or not to use the item that has been provided for my convenience and expedience.

But not using a menu does not affect other patrons.

When I use a public restroom, MUST I shit IN the toilet?  Or can I just shit on the floor, or toilet seat?  The toilet has been provided for my convenience and expedience and can choose to use them or not...but my choice affects the next person to use the restroom.

An extreme example, yes.  But a better one than the menu example.  People leaving carts next to cars can create issues.
Not saying they always do, but they absolutely do in cases.

Disclosure.....I rarely return carts to corral.  Guilty as charged.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »
If you shit on the floor, you'll probably be banned from the store. Not returning a cart to the corral is just a lazy inconvenience. Parking it behind a car or in between cars is just being a dick.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
So is shitting on a bathroom floor.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
So is shitting on a bathroom floor.

That goes without saying.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:48 PM »
Not returning a cart to the corral is just a lazy inconvenience. Parking it behind a car or in between cars is just being a dick.

Every last person I have talked to who does the job says otherwise.  So, nope, you are unequivocally wrong on that one. 

(except "behind the cars," which obviously is a problem, but since precisely no one has ever said that is okay, I have no idea why it keeps being brought up)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
You guys live in some weird ass places with some nut job employees. 

My Costco people only ever tell me (if they are there) “Hey, would you like me to get that for you?”

Never once, not ever in my 48 years on this planet....and I’m very flighty, so I usually hit a grocery store 4 or 5 times a week, and Costco at least twice a week....not EVER have I been told by any employee or any human being that putting the cart in the corral was anything but encouraged. 

EDIT - in fact, now that I think of it, I actually remember one employee who was really pissed that he had to go retrieve carts from various places in the lot, instead of just being able to get a bundle of them all at once at the corral.  Created a lot more work for him because he had to go to 5 or 6 different places in the lot instead of just being able to get them all at once in one place.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »
Not returning a cart to the corral is just a lazy inconvenience. Parking it behind a car or in between cars is just being a dick.

Every last person I have talked to who does the job says otherwise.  So, nope, you are unequivocally wrong on that one. 

(except "behind the cars," which obviously is a problem, but since precisely no one has ever said that is okay, I have no idea why it keeps being brought up)

So because a bunch of lazy courtesy clerks told you it's inconvenient for them to collect the carts at each corral, that makes it not lazy to stash them everywhere but the corral?

I lived in Phoenix. I have PTSD.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: April 26, 2018, 05:55:26 AM »

Not at all, man. I don't even get that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:19 AM »

Not at all, man. I don't even get that.

That's because you're wrong upstairs.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2018, 07:42:59 AM »
As a person who had to get carts in July... in Arizona... fuck people that don't put it in the corral. Walking around the whole parking lot to get carts that are scorching hot is brutal. This is the main reason I only worked at the grocery store for 1 month.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »
If it's making his job harder he's not doing his job correctly/people need to put them back in the corrals in the first place!

I have asked this before, but have never gotten an answer:  Why do you keep saying "back?"  There is no "back" since they don't start there in the first place.

Pedantic much? You know exactly what I mean. Put the carts in the corrals, because that is what they are designed for. That is their sole purpose of being in this world. To keep all the carts in one place.

Anyhow, yeah, I just come back to, if you think carts MUST be put into corrals every time, you just don't know what the corrals are for and need to mind your own business.

The irony that I'm being reprimanded by a guy who doesn't even use the cart corrals for the purpose they're designed for - their purpose is literally the name - and you just stack them wherever you want is a symptom of laziness and disrespect for others. I've already said numerous times that carts outside of corrals cause car damage. It doesn't matter where you stack them: what happens when a storm happens? When strong winds come through and knock carts loose? Cars get damaged. There is a 0% possibility of cars getting any sort of damage in the corral. That percentage rises to at least .01% outside of the corral, therefore it is unacceptable. If you are going to tell me to mind my business for using my head, then you should just not get a cart the next time you go to the store, because you're lazy and disrespectful. *drops mic*  :biggrin:

Yeah, I don't get the 4 corners either. My brain doesn't function without visuals.

You have a row of parking spaces facing one direction.  As you pull into a space, there is another row facing you from directly across.  So the lines look something like:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Every space (except the end ones) has a corner that is common to the four adjacent parking spaces--hence, "four corners."  As in:  the place where most civilized people leave their shopping carts after loading their cars.

Okay, nevermind, you're just trolling now. Don't put them in a metal barricade... put them in the middle of the damn lot. That is plain stupid.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
Also

Multiple people on this very page have refuted that point, so saying someone is 'unequivocally wrong' on this furthers my (sincere) view that you are just trolling because that statement is unequivocally wrong.

This subject rustles my jimmies more than I ever thought it would.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »
Pedantic much? You know exactly what I mean.

No, it's not about being pedantic.  That one word changes the entire meaning of your series of posts on the subject (and reveals faulty thinking), which is why I am zeroing in on it.  That isn't what "pedantic" means.

Put the carts in the corrals, because that is what they are designed for. That is their sole purpose of being in this world. To keep all the carts in one place.

The people who actual do the jobs where the corrals were constructed say that you are wrong.

The irony that I'm being reprimanded by a guy who doesn't even use the cart corrals for the purpose they're designed for

Well, no, you are wrong on two counts.  And both of which have been repeated several times, so by saying that, I can only conclude that you are deliberately ignoring most of what I and others have written on the subject and only seeing what you want to see.  (1) you aren't being "reprimanded."  (2) I frequently (but not always) DO use the corrals.

But on the subject of being "reprimanded," you WILL be reprimanded for crap like this:

because you're lazy and disrespectful

Knock off the namecalling.  I'm not going to say it again.

It doesn't matter where you stack them: what happens when a storm happens? When strong winds come through and knock carts loose? Cars get damaged.

I guess...maybe if your local store is in Hurricane Alley and your shopping cars come equipped with huge wind sails.  ???  :dunno: 

Okay, yeah, now I AM trolling just a bit.  Look, if it's a windy day, or you live in a place like Arizona like Chkn or Zook mentioned (or just anyplace where that is a common custom or is expected), or conditions otherwise indicate that you SHOULD put it in the corral, then you should.  I'm not arguing against that.  But what I am saying is that at least in this part of the country, according to the folks that work at the stores in the first place (i.e., the Experts), on the typical calm, mild-weathered Northern California day, in the typical store parking lot, where there is no likelihood of cars getting damages, there isn't an expectation that you HAVE TO necessarily put the carts in the corrals.  You can.  And in many situations, you probably should.  But you don't have to.  If you come here and decide to shop, you are perfectly welcome to do so.  But I caution you that you might want to take a valium to calm your nerves before setting foot on the premises, because otherwise, your head is likely to explode when you see tons of carts in proper places that are NOT the corrals in many store parking lots, and people innocently going about their business and not caring because *gasp!* life goes on.

Okay, nevermind, you're just trolling now. Don't put them in a metal barricade... put them in the middle of the damn lot. That is plain stupid.

Not sure where you got "in the middle of the damn lot" from my post.  But if that is what you took from it, you clearly misunderstood.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2018, 08:39:35 AM »
Perhaps it's a regional thing (edit... ninja'd by Bosk)??  I mean, NorCal'rs are known for their 'zero fucks to give' attitudes.   I mean, you don't HAVE TO give a fuck about anything, right?  :lol

There's a lot that is faulty about putting a cart in Bosk's "four corners" that will invariably cause more inconveniences for multiple parties than the convenience it brings of the original person not walking 10, 20, 30 feet to put it in the corral - gravity, a 'bump' from the next car that parks there, cars parked to closely together to easily get the cart out of its predicament, wind (it hardly takes a strong gust to start a cart rolling).

Whatevs... no one is going to convince the other that their position or view is inferior.  This is apparently as polarizing a topic as politics!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: April 26, 2018, 08:51:31 AM »
Haha, whatever, bosk.  :lol  You told me to 'mind my own business' for using the corrals for what they are, but you're gonna reprimand me for saying it's lazy behavior for leaving carts wherever you please? Sorry you disagree, but it is. Don't lord your authority over me like some kind of pendulous blade when you just told me to 'mind my own business' and I pointed out, factually, that your "unequivocally wrong" statement was, in itself, unequivocally wrong. Furthermore I don't see you reprimanding anyone who's said "fuck those people" when I never said anything nearly as fiery. I don't really like the way you hold this very unpopular opinion that's been refuted with some very good points, and then when challenged on it you puff your chest out... while taking a shot about 'taking a valium.' I'd tell you to knock off the snark, but I have no power to show off.

But if you're gonna make me take a vacation, you may at least want to warn those in my roulette. But I really think that's blowing it way out of proportion. We're arguing about freaking shopping carts, dude.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #269 on: April 26, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »
In Germany you can only take a shopping cart with a 1€, 2€ coin or 50 cents. The only way to get your coin back, is to put the cart back in the corral. Everybody does it.

Even if it was not a question of getting your money back, you save the guy who has to gather all the carts and put them in the corrals a lot of time and work. It costs you nothing to be a gentle human being. People who don't do it are lazy and don't care about others. Does it really kill you to walk a few meters and put the cart back? I really don't understand that.

A lot of people already go to the supermarket with their cars, they buy a whole week worth of food/drinks, meaning they only have to go shopping once a week. Imagine people who have to go more often and they have to take buses. Is the air conditioning and the comfort of your car not enough to motivate you to move your ass and put the cart back? It is the least you can do. No wonder most people are overweight in America, if they consider that a HUGE EFFORT. Better to sit in a chair all day and eat shit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »
^^ Careful with that namecalling, now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
There's a lot that is faulty about putting a cart in Bosk's "four corners" that will invariably cause more inconveniences for multiple parties than the convenience it brings of the original person not walking 10, 20, 30 feet to put it in the corral - gravity, a 'bump' from the next car that parks there, cars parked to closely together to easily get the cart out of its predicament, wind (it hardly takes a strong gust to start a cart rolling).

Well, yeah, you're right, and let me clarify a bit.  Again, I couldn't see your picture, so I think maybe we are not completely on the same page about that.  If the parking lot is just a flat piece of asphalt that only has painted lines dividing the parking spaces, you generally shouldn't leave the cart at the four corners, and most people don't (some do, but I'm not talking about the exceptions here).  And that is for the reasons you mention.

The parking lots where people generally do leave them at the four corners are where there is a barrier, usually a planter of some sort, where you can prop the front wheels of the cart up over the curb in the bark so it won't roll.  That's what they have at the Costco I mentioned above.

Is it still inconvenient?  Well, yes and no.  As long as it is done...er..."properly," so that the cart isn't blocking the parking space, and cars can park without issue, it isn't inconveniencing other shoppers.  In fact, a lot of times, it's nice to park your car and be able to take the cart that is already right there instead of wading through the crowd at the cart bin.  Does it inconvenience the courtesy clerks who have to get the carts?  Yeah, a bit.  But, again, most of them don't mind and see it as part of the job, and part of delivering customer service.  And most people who DO view the corrals as non-mandatory seem to be considerate and mindful of the clerks as well, and won't leave them out if it is a really hot day or there is bad weather.  More often than not, rather than use the corrals that are out in the lot, you'll see folks in those situations bring the cart back under whatever awning or other covering is at the front of the store so the clerks don't have to go out into the lot at all.  So it goes both ways.  Again, local custom.  I don't see either one as "better" or "worse," or as more or less rude.  Some people just see it differently.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
Bosk, are you the guy who puts stuff on a shelf halfway across the store when you decide you don't want that item anymore?  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »
Haha, whatever, bosk.  :lol  You told me to 'mind my own business' for using the corrals for what they are, but you're gonna reprimand me for saying it's lazy behavior for leaving carts wherever you please? Sorry you disagree, but it is. Don't lord your authority over me like some kind of pendulous blade when you just told me to 'mind my own business' and I pointed out, factually, that your "unequivocally wrong" statement was, in itself, unequivocally wrong. Furthermore I don't see you reprimanding anyone who's said "fuck those people" when I never said anything nearly as fiery. I don't really like the way you hold this very unpopular opinion that's been refuted with some very good points, and then when challenged on it you puff your chest out... while taking a shot about 'taking a valium.' I'd tell you to knock off the snark, but I have no power to show off.

But if you're gonna make me take a vacation, you may at least want to warn those in my roulette. But I really think that's blowing it way out of proportion. We're arguing about freaking shopping carts, dude.

It's not about lording authority over others.  People who don't understand local customs or, more accurately, can't understand that someone else could possibly think differently than they do, DO need to mind their own business.  That isn't an insult.  Namecalling, especially at someone directly, IS an insult.  If you don't get that, sorry, but I can't help you.  There are plenty of people who can engage in the conversation without namecalling, so I suggest maybe you take note of their posting style if you can't figure it out for yourself.

Bosk, are you the guy who puts stuff on a shelf halfway across the store when you decide you don't want that item anymore?  :lol

No, and I have no idea how that is even relevant to this discussion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
Oh, please. I am not stupid, don't talk to me like I am. Numerous other people have called it lazy behavior as well. My saying your leaving carts in the lot is 'lazy' is nothing more than an extension of that, and if you take it that personally, well so be it, but I'll at the very least apologize for clearly offending you. You've banned people for less, so I guess I'll take my ball and play elsewhere. Sorry! (edit: you've implied numerous times now that I can't possibly understand how other people can think differently. I think that's offensive, too.)

BTW, it was a humorous post implying that since you leave carts in the lot, maybe you leave items in the improper place in the store. That's all. No need to get huffy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
The people who actual do the jobs where the corrals were constructed say that you are wrong.

I think the fault in your argument is taking what this one shopping cart lot attendant opinion as the truth.  It may be the truth for his lot, like say if the corral is so far back in the lot that it is more annoying for him to walk all the way back there when everyone else leaves them upfront in the 4 corners (I still don't understand this, but maybe I missed the explanation in this thread somewhere).  But in any average parking lot scenario, I can't see how it would be easier or more efficient for this worker to pick the carts up from a couple locations vs. scattered all around the lot. 

And also, costco is busy enough that usually someone will just grab your cart anyway which makes the whole argument moot  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »
In Germany you can only take a shopping cart with a 1€, 2€ coin or 50 cents. The only way to get your coin back, is to put the cart back in the corral. Everybody does it.

Indeed. As someone who doesn't live in America, I can not see how this is even remotely an issue. Over here, there's even worthless coins designed just to take the shopping cart out of the rack. People just bring them back, always. I never see shopping carts spread out across a parking area. This thread gathering 8 pages of nonsense is quite ridiculous to me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »

I think the fault in your argument is taking what this one shopping cart lot attendant opinion as the truth.  It may be the truth for his lot, like say if the corral is so far back in the lot that it is more annoying for him to walk all the way back there when everyone else leaves them upfront in the 4 corners (I still don't understand this, but maybe I missed the explanation in this thread somewhere).  But in any average parking lot scenario, I can't see how it would be easier or more efficient for this worker to pick the carts up from a couple locations vs. scattered all around the lot. 

And also, costco is busy enough that usually someone will just grab your cart anyway which makes the whole argument moot  :lol

Well, no, you missed the point.  First off, the very point of the thread is based on the premise that there is virtually a universal truth that every shopping cart MUST always be put into a cart corral after every use, no exceptions, and that not doing so is a moral failure.  So, yes, even ONE exception would disprove that.

But if you've been following my posts (and others in the thread), it isn't just ONE courtesy clerk.  It is several.  At different stores. 

So the point is that, at least out here, among apparently MOST of the population in this area (or at least a significant number), that isn't the custom.  And an outsider has no business passing judgment and namecalling on customs they don't (or don't want to) understand that are different from their own.  That's about as ridiculous as me trying to argue to the Germans who have posted in this thread that their custom is offensive to me and, therefore, "wrong."  Whether or not I agree with or like their own custom (and I happen to like it, for the record), who am I to pass judgment on what they as a society collectively see as a good thing?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2018, 09:24:51 AM »

Indeed. As someone who doesn't live in America, I can not see how this is even remotely an issue. Over here, there's even worthless coins designed just to take the shopping cart out of the rack. People just bring them back, always. I never see shopping carts spread out across a parking area. This thread gathering 8 pages of nonsense is quite ridiculous to me.
We have those worthless coins too and you can get them for free in the supermarket. I never see shopping carts scattered around the parking lot either. I mean, at least here in Germany (or Europe, who knows) it is pretty common sense that if you do your part, everything works well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »
It's literally called a cart corral. The name is what it does and is for.  :rollin