Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90275 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
Every single one of us in that role felt that the right answer was "take your cart back to the corral, return it to the store, or leave it in a place where it won't roll into a car."  Any of those were acceptable.

I don't think people are necessary talking about people who actually take care with the cart, bosky. It's the cart that is just sitting loose and fancy free that can be a danger to cars. I get that you probably live in a place where it's no big deal, but I live in Utah where the wind howls (Nevada blows and Wyoming sucks, so...) and the inconsiderate breed at a frightening pace--It's not uncommon to see a cart rolling by itself.

I also suspect that the level to which this "problem" bothers one can be correlated with the love they have for their car and/or the amount they paid for it.  :biggrin:

[edit] I take it back, Kattelox is talking specifically of corrals. My mistake [/edit]
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »
Quote from: bosk1
EDIT: Also, I do consider it my business, because a rogue cart DOES have the potential to, indeed, damage my vehicle or someone else's.

Irrelevant.  Again, I'm not talking about "rogue" carts that can roll into someone's car.  I'm talking about carts that are properly stowed so that they CAN'T roll, but aren't in the corral.

If one can expend the energy to place it somewhere that it doesn't roll... why not just put it back in the corral, where it not only won't roll away, it'll be with all the others. The only excuse is laziness...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
Man, I dunno, bosk. I see a designated place to which one should return a cart, I return it there. 

Is it Kattelox, or "Cattle"ox?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
Quote from: bosk1
EDIT: Also, I do consider it my business, because a rogue cart DOES have the potential to, indeed, damage my vehicle or someone else's.

Irrelevant.  Again, I'm not talking about "rogue" carts that can roll into someone's car.  I'm talking about carts that are properly stowed so that they CAN'T roll, but aren't in the corral.

If one can expend the energy to place it somewhere that it doesn't roll... why not just put it back in the corral, where it not only won't roll away, it'll be with all the others. The only excuse is laziness...

I can't tell you about "excuses," because that implies that one is looking to get out of conduct that is expected.  And as I mentioned, there is no such expectation here.  But I can tell you that, for many, the reason has nothing to do with laziness.  But again, nice job on passing judgment on people whose intentions you obviously know nothing about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
Man, I dunno, bosk. I see a designated place to which one should return a cart, I return it there. 

Oooh, TAC, you're such a rebel! *tigger growl*

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »
bosk, why are you getting so personal? Of course I'm passing a LITTLE judgment, generally: it is an incredibly easy thing to do, and you clearly have only made me believe more in my reasons for thinking what I do, instead of making me see it your way. But I'm not personally digging at anyone in particular, it literally just strikes me as lazy behavior. You don't need to be condescending with your 'nice job passing judgment on things that have nothing to do with you' statements. Make me see your point instead of being snarky, because that certainly isn't going to help your argument. I'm not getting snarky with you.

EDIT: I made this thread so there would be an interesting back and forth. There are no personal attacks going here and there's no need for the conversation to turn sour.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »

:lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
Oooh, TAC, you're such a rebel! *tigger growl*

Yup..Total Badass.

I don't return my carriage! Living on the edge!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
bosk, why are you getting so personal?

I'm not.  Take a step back and take another look at your posts.  YOU are the one namecalling at those you misunderstand.  Which is why I responded in the first place.  I am amused at this topic whenever it resurfaces, because I know there are some in other places where the custom is different than here who (1) don't understand that the custom is different in other places, and (2) can't fathom that any opinion than theirs is acceptable.  So, to answer what I think you are really asking, my purpose in posting is to try to get you to see that.  As for me, I don't take it personally, because the debate really doesn't effect me. 

EDIT: I made this thread so there would be an interesting back and forth. There are no personal attacks going here and there's no need for the conversation to turn sour.

I don't think it has turned sour, other than you calling names when you disagree. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
Sigh. All right then. Enjoy the thread, I'm out. Not gonna argue with you over this...

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not sure where I was namecalling anyone. My posts that I made here this evening were written with an intended sense of humor, apparently that didn't get across. So, sorry for that, but no, I haven't "namecalled" anyone, and I would apologize if I had!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »
Well, saying someone MUST be "lazy," "rude," "inconsiderate," "disrespectful," etc. IS namecalling.  My point is simply to try to get you to see another point of view and not make assumptions.  To back up and re-cap, there are two potential groups of people who could be impacted: (1) the clerks who have to round up the carts; and (2) customers whose cars may be damaged if the carts roll.  I'm not talking about leaving carts where they are likely to roll, so let's take #2 off the table.  We are largely in agreement there.  (other than the fact that, for reasons I still have not figured out, you seem to think that not putting a cart in the corral equates to leaving it rolling around the lot, but maybe parking lots are different where you live)  And as to #1, it really just depends.  Within reason, the clerks not only don't care, but they don't EXPECT everyone to put the carts in the corrals.  They just don't, and they aren't bothered in the least when carts aren't there.  In the average Costco lot out here, for example, you will probably find about 50% of carts in the corrals and 50% propped on the planters so they don't roll.  That is what is expected, and nobody cares.  So, since precisely nobody is offended, it's a bit silly to pass judgment on that situation, isn't it?

Now, that said, if it's different where you live, and the CUSTOM is to put them in the corrals, such that the clerks ARE bothered when they aren't there, then cool.  When in your backyard, that is the custom that should be followed.  And it would be equally out of place for someone from out here to start namecalling people that think that way, wouldn't it?

Here's an analogy for you.  Let's say you are raised in a "proper" American or British household where you are taught from birth that you don't slurp your food.  Ever.  That's all well and good.  But if you get on a soapbox about how anyone who ever slurps their food MUST be uncouth, rude, savages who shouldn't be afforded a place in civilized society, you best make sure none of your audience are east Asian.  Because, not only will your cultural assumptions not apply in their eyes, but they will be outright insulting.  Best not to pass judgment when you aren't the one being impacted by the given behavior, no?

Oh, and for the record, the corrals are a great idea.  The vast majority of the time, I use them.  Just so you know.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
Bosk, we'll agree to disagree, I hope. I actually strongly disagree with your first sentence, too, but that gets into semantics territory and isn't fit for this thread. So, I've said my piece, I'm done, there you have it. If I owned that business and saw 50% of the carts in the corrals and 50% out there, I'd think, hmm, how can we clean this up and not make this look like a video game level? :) That's rhetorical, please don't take that as a rebuttal, I'm done here.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
Gotta call bullshit here.  I have never seen a place, other than a corral, where a cart is truly "secured" from causing damage to other vehicles.  I'm not sure what kind of parking lots you all have, but putting something on free rolling wheels any where else that the corral is indeed taking a chance it will move.  In between the concrete stops at the front of the care is not even close to secure.  Neither is one set of wheels on the curb as one end of the cart sticks out and can damage cars.  Please tell me where this magical "secure" area is in the parking lot other than a corral?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »
What about the human centipede cart chain they usually have in front of the store?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
Here is a link to a relevant article at Scientific American website.  :)

Why Don't People Return Their Shopping Carts?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »
In my opinion if you're physically able and choose not to walk a cart to the corral you're a lazy asshole.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
In my opinion if you're physically able and choose not to walk a cart to the corral you're a lazy asshole.

*gasp* Careful, you'll end up on notice like me :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »
:lol  Not sure what "on notice" means.  But Kaos' post was clearly over the line, and a warning has been issued.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
You know. On notice.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
You know. On notice.

I just wanted to clarify that my comment was not pointed at anyone here specifically. I apologize for the harsh language.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2017, 08:52:41 AM »
This thread is turning into a Sons of Anarchy Apollo thread.

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
Because shopping carts and their placement in corrals is a deeply personal subject for many people.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
So more importantly, what's the point of Colbert's board (though I have to say, the personalization is a VERY nice touch).   But why is Batfleck on notice?   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »
So more importantly, what's the point of Colbert's board (though I have to say, the personalization is a VERY nice touch).   But why is Batfleck on notice?

Watch this. https://www.cc.com/video-clips/tc2zff/the-colbert-report-on-notice---how-the-on-notice-board-is-made

Basically it's just Colbert putting things on notice if they do something that offends him. It's just a silly thing.

Batfleck is on notice for using machine guns instead of his batfists.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
It's rude, inconsiderate and down right disrespectful.

No it isn't.

:lol Opinions vary.  You have yours and I have mine.  Coming in here and dropping absolutes certainly isn't a good show by example.

Well, saying someone MUST be "lazy," "rude," "inconsiderate," "disrespectful," etc. IS namecalling.

Oh, do you mean the same as, or opposed to passing judgment on someone you don't even know by calling them a "rude prick" because they said something you disagreed with?  The words above are not name calling.  They are descriptors for certain behaviors, actions or lack thereof.  Name calling is just the use of highly uncalled for and derogatory slang towards another person.  There's a difference.

Best not to pass judgment when you aren't the one being impacted by the given behavior, no?

So, it's ok to pass judgement if we are impacted by the given behaviors?  Is that why you're passing judgement on other's opinions because they're impacting you somehow?  This is a thread about shopping carts and those who may or may not feel entitled to leave their empties wherever they damn well please without thought or consideration for others.  This isn't a court of law.

If it doesn't effect you (and it doesn't if the cart isn't left to roll into your car and if you as a customer can get a cart in the cart bin in the store), you don't get to judge whether it is rude or inconsiderate.  The people to whom it does matter do not consider it rude or inconsiderate, so your opinion is irrelevant.

I believe the word you're looking for is "affect" and that's what we are talking about.  We are all "affected" by people who are unaware of their surroundings and don't do their part simply because they are too busy and just don't care.  Shopping cart corrals are there for a reason.  Employees roaming through the parking lot collecting stray carts is a safety hazard.  It's time consuming.  It presents certain liabilities to the company.  Carts that are placed so they don't roll is irrelevant to the thread.  They are not where they belong.  Period.  So the cart doesn't roll, but it's right in the middle of a parking spot.  Tell me who that doesn't "affect".  Your argument of "but if the cart doesn't roll" is not the point of this thread.

In closing, I think it's very disturbing that a forum administrator condescends to others and calls their opinions irrelevant.  It's at least relevant to them in some way that may not be entirely apparent to you.  If people are judgemental, who are you to judge them?  You're supposed to be a leader by example here, are you not?  I'm thinking it might behoove you to take a step back and look at your own posts.  After all, none of us are perfect.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
I get off work in 5 minutes and am gonna raise a beer to that post when I get home, Dublagent66.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
In closing, I think it's very disturbing that a forum administrator condescends to others and calls their opinions irrelevant. . . .  I'm thinking it might behoove you to take a step back and look at your own posts.

Thanks for the suggestion.  If you don't care for my posts, you know where the door is, right?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:23:06 PM by bosk1 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »
You know what is funny is how strongly people feel about this issue. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Personally I feel that "common decency" seems so lost on today's society. I work with the public, so I see it.

I just never would've put returning shopping carts under the "common decency' umbrella. But I can understand how people may. But I am shocked at the loathe that not doing so brings about.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
^Pretty much that.  :lol   But I think it's really just yet another example of the "I'm right, so I'm not willing to consider that other points of view might exist" judgmental mentality that is all too prevalent.  Kind of ironic that so many folks get so indignant about their own subjective view of "common decency" that they forget to extend common decency to those who may have a different perspective.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
I think it's moreso just annoying if you are someone who returns carts to know that others (who are able) do not.  For me, I always do and will, it's just common sense.  So it does bother me (and maybe it shouldn't) that other people leave it in the middle of a parking spot in a busy parking lot creating an inconvenience to others to save themselves 10 seconds.  Obviously I think it's completely different if someone puts it up on the curb where it can't move and doesn't hog up a parking spot. I know that there are workers there to move carts.

I've even seen people leave their cart and while sitting in their vehicle doing nothing I'll walk over to their abandoned cart and let them watch me bring it to the corral for them 10 feet away.  I'm not angry with them, but I do like the fact that they are watching someone else do something that they could do themselves (and yes, I do realize that they do NOT care, but I still get a little satisfaction out of it somehow).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
Kind of ironic that so many folks get so indignant about their own subjective view of "common decency" that they forget to extend common decency to those who may have a different perspective.

Yeah, that's funny.

(which is the best I could come up with after spending 10 minutes.Google Imagining Alanis Morrisette ironic memes.)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2017, 01:41:16 PM »
You thought this thread was dead?  Well, think again!

I held off on posting in this thread because everything I could possibly think of, on either side of the argument, had already been said.  People were pushing their opinions back and forth, and nobody was changing their minds, so it was purely for entertainment value.

Then it happened.

I stopped by the grocery store the other night, saw a great, open parking space in the front row as I was coming around the corner, and as I finished coming round, I saw that the space was not empty, but instead there were two shopping carts sitting in that space.  Since it was right on the end of the row, both carts had their front wheels up on the curb.  There was no danger of the carts rolling anywhere.  But a primo parking space was sitting empty, unusuable.  I ended up maybe six or seven spots down the row.  Not a huge deal, but an unnecessary inconvenience.  I thought of this thread.

On the way out, I had to hit the brakes as a rogue shopping cart went rolling in front of me.  I looked to either side, and there was nobody around.  This cart was just off on a joy-ride, apparently.  Had I arrived at that juncture two seconds earlier, it would have hit my car, probably causing at least a little damage.  I thought of this thread.

I was inconvenienced twice within 20 minutes by people who did not properly take care of their shopping carts.  Two actually took the time to secure them, but in a place that rendered a primo parking space unusable.  They earn zero points for that.  Another clearly just left it where it could and very nearly did cause property damage.  They suck monkey balls, but don't realize it.

Thank you for reading.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
People that don't return carts to a reasonably close corral are inconsiderate at best for reasons stated multiple times in this thread.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »
Oh, jeeze, Orbert. Glad you were able to avoid that one.

Round 2 has officially begun, folks.  Or 3. 4? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
I was inconvenienced twice within 20 minutes by people who did not properly take care of their shopping carts.  Two actually took the time to secure them, but in a place that rendered a primo parking space unusable.  They earn zero points for that.  Another clearly just left it where it could and very nearly did cause property damage.  They suck monkey balls, but don't realize it.

Removing the donkey balls long enough to say that it's the store's responsibility. OK, back in.