Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90298 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
Tipping for take-out is an oddball thing, and when I brought it up a year or two ago people really freaked out about it. If it's a place that deals primarily with take-out, pizza or Chinese, then I don't. If it's a normal restaurant that I'm picking food up from then I always tip. It's usually a bartender or hostess that has to make sure everything gets put together and I'm taking away from their other customers. A buck a bag is customary for that. I don't eat there, but I suppose Applebees would be an example of a proper restaurant that people get take-out from.

Jersey Mikes is an interesting one. I'd put that in the same category as Freebirds (Chipotle knockoff). If you're prompted after you see them make your food then you can tip accordingly. Poorly assembled burritos really piss me off. A lot of the time people just throw shit in there with no thought whatsoever. If a guy takes his time and makes sure everything is evenly distributed and then nicely rolled I'll happily give him a buck. Good service is what you're actually supposed to tip in the first place, after all.

Never heard of tipping a mechanic, and I don't even know what you'd base it on (the shop's $120/hr labor rate?). However, I always tip the Mexicans that repair, inflate, or re-balance my tires. Working in a tire shop in Texas is a bitch. And nowadays there is no more free air. Rather than paying a buck at 7-11 for their air I'd rather tip a Mexican $2 to properly inflate all for tires.

I used to not tip for takeout but then started getting take out from the same spot often enough that I thought it would be a good idea to tip.  As for the mechanic, I would have never thought to tip them because they already overcharge IMO but my coworker always tips his and he said it helps make sure you get a decent deal and do the job correctly.  I feel that's kind of ridiculous.  Also this same coworker snuck the last mechanic at the dealership a 20 to get in front of the long line of cars ahead of him to be fixed.  So I don't know, I know that saved his ass, but that also kind of makes me mad that it worked.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »
I will tip local restaurants, but not chains. There's one guy who makes the best Mexican food I've ever had, and it's pretty much just him in there, and I tip him - bigly - every time. But a chain? Nah.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
Tipping for take-out is an oddball thing, and when I brought it up a year or two ago people really freaked out about it. If it's a place that deals primarily with take-out, pizza or Chinese, then I don't. If it's a normal restaurant that I'm picking food up from then I always tip. It's usually a bartender or hostess that has to make sure everything gets put together and I'm taking away from their other customers. A buck a bag is customary for that. I don't eat there, but I suppose Applebees would be an example of a proper restaurant that people get take-out from.

Jersey Mikes is an interesting one. I'd put that in the same category as Freebirds (Chipotle knockoff). If you're prompted after you see them make your food then you can tip accordingly. Poorly assembled burritos really piss me off. A lot of the time people just throw shit in there with no thought whatsoever. If a guy takes his time and makes sure everything is evenly distributed and then nicely rolled I'll happily give him a buck. Good service is what you're actually supposed to tip in the first place, after all.

Never heard of tipping a mechanic, and I don't even know what you'd base it on (the shop's $120/hr labor rate?). However, I always tip the Mexicans that repair, inflate, or re-balance my tires. Working in a tire shop in Texas is a bitch. And nowadays there is no more free air. Rather than paying a buck at 7-11 for their air I'd rather tip a Mexican $2 to properly inflate all for tires.

I used to not tip for takeout but then started getting take out from the same spot often enough that I thought it would be a good idea to tip.  As for the mechanic, I would have never thought to tip them because they already overcharge IMO but my coworker always tips his and he said it helps make sure you get a decent deal and do the job correctly.  I feel that's kind of ridiculous.  Also this same coworker snuck the last mechanic at the dealership a 20 to get in front of the long line of cars ahead of him to be fixed.  So I don't know, I know that saved his ass, but that also kind of makes me mad that it worked.
Now that I think about it I have gone back and taken a 12-pack to my mechanic after a job or two. It's a small shop and gets crowded, and I've had them shuffle things around to work me in. Besides, basic repair work isn't what they want to be doing anyway. I'm more of an annoyance to them than a good customer. I was thinking more about dealers or chains. Just Brakes, not that they'd touch my car anyway, isn't getting a tip from me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
These corrals weren't erected for the greater good of mankind. They were erected to (sorry to pull a Stadler) 1) save labor costs, and 2) save on damage claims. That's it. But the stores have to be psyched because what has happened over time is that it is now accepted practice to return these carts. God forbid you don't and you'd be considered "rude" or "inconsiderate". Yeah, times change and accepted public norms change with it, but the last thing I need is some "do gooder" telling me that it is my duty to return my cart.

See that? It's a) helpful and - I have to add - b) contagious.  :) :) :) :) :)

No seriously, for me, it's about economics.   I am the guy that puts carts in the corral because if not paying someone to to roam around the lot collecting carts means that my Froot Loops are $0.05 cheaper, and the guy that is supposed to make sure the returnables machines are clear, then I'm in.  I'm also the guy that will see a box of Triscuits in the Paper Towels aisle, and I'll bring it with me to the Triscuit section.   

I courtesy flush. 
I step aside at the McDonald's line while I'm deciding whether to go with a Number 2 (Two cheeseburgers) or a Number 3 (Quarter Pounder with Cheese) Meal. 
I move over on the highway, even if I am going 80, and even if there is a modicum of traffic.
I am with el Barto, in that I tip good service for good service, and will not tip because just because I'm asked.

Those are not exactly the same thing, but it's how I try to live the "do unto others..." rule.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2017, 09:20:32 AM »
No, no, no, if you see Triscuits in the paper towel section, you put them in your cart and take them home with you. Duh.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
Israel has a cool system to deal with this, though I'm sure most European countries probably do the same thing.

Essentially all carts all locked and you have to put in a certain amount of money (usually like a quarter or something) to unlock it. Then you get the money back when you return the cart. Mostly seems to work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
No, no, no, if you see Triscuits in the paper towel section, you put them in your cart and take them home with you. Duh.

Haha, fair point, no argument.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
Israel has a cool system to deal with this, though I'm sure most European countries probably do the same thing.

Essentially all carts all locked and you have to put in a certain amount of money (usually like a quarter or something) to unlock it. Then you get the money back when you return the cart. Mostly seems to work.

There's a chain here in Connecticut - Price Choppers or something like that - that does the same thing.  I can uneq1uiocally tell you that it's not because of "rogue carts in the parking lot".  It's because the kids steal them and dump them in the Connecticut River after their joy rides.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »

There's a chain here in Connecticut - Price Choppers or something like that - that does the same thing.  I can uneq1uiocally tell you that it's not because of "rogue carts in the parking lot".  It's because the kids steal them and dump them in the Connecticut River after their joy rides.

As long as it gets the job done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
I forgot about that Euro way of doing the carts, that does make sense.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
My father had an evil idea like that but for restrooms at his business and home so he'd be able to ensure he could actually get in the restroom when he wanted to instead of waiting on someone. The toilet lid or shower would slowly shut/turn off once the meter ran out. Better bring extra change. I guess raising several children does drive you insane. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
My father had an evil idea like that but for restrooms at his business and home so he'd be able to ensure he could actually get in the restroom when he wanted to instead of waiting on someone. The toilet lid or shower would slowly shut/turn off once the meter ran out. Better bring extra change. I guess raising several children does drive you insane. :lol

The rest stops along the Auobahn in Germany require coins to use (forget the exact amount, its been awhile).  Another european thing I guess.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »

They opened up an Aldi's here a few months ago. I was so confused when I couldn't just take a cart. "What? A quarter? CHEAP BASTARDS!"

"Oh... I got my quarter back..."
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
Aldi is a european store too so that makes sense

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »

And a quarter is supposed to stop that? Fuck, I'd consider the charge sanctioning the experience and gladly pay a quarter to joyride one down to the river.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
That was really there, Herrick?  Are you fucking kidding me?

Yeah. I've never seen one at any other mechanic before or since.

I tip the tire guys (when they plug a tire) and the food delivery people too. I'm not a fan of tipping but I'll do it when it's expected but not at a fucking mechanic's shop.

One time a mechanic helped me out and didn't charge me because the fix was so simple. I insisted I do something for him so he said just get him a sandwich at Subway. The dude was cool and I was happy to buy him lunch.

I will tip local restaurants, but not chains. There's one guy who makes the best Mexican food I've ever had, and it's pretty much just him in there, and I tip him - bigly - every time. But a chain? Nah.

Why don't you tip at chain restaurants?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
I should clarify, I won't like, leave a tip on the bill when I pay, but I'll drop a few bucks on the table when I'm done. I guess it's the same thing, I just see them differently in my head. I don't know if they get taxed on what I leave on the table?

But I do tend to tip more to the local guys because there's a personal relationship that develops there and I want the local shop to stick around and prosper. There have been times where I'll pick up one item from the Mexican place and the total will be $12 and I'll just give him a 20 and tell him to keep the rest.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
Yes. I'm not an animal.

We've had carts roll and hit our vehicles before. Nobody left a note or laid claim it was their fault either.   :censored

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »
Yes, I always return the cart, why wouldn't you? In literally any lot for a store with carts they give away perfectly good parking spaces just so we have places to return them to. Not doing so is just irresponsible, and can potentially cause damage to people's cars. Don't even have to take into account the person who has the job of getting the carts in. I file this in the social contract area of decency that if you take a cart to help with the shopping you should basically be agreeing to get it back to the proper spot when you're done.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »
I've refrained from posting my thoughts in this thread because I've already earned a reputation of being a old fogey and whenever I read this thread my first thought is, "Back when I was young..."  :lol

Nick's post about social contract (which I agree with) makes me want to also throw out, for your consideration, that we Americans have created this situation ourselves through consumerism and the "Walmart mentality."

It used to be that grocery stores did employ an army of pimply young people who would bag the groceries, walk your cart out to your car, load the groceries, and return the cart to the store's indoor corral. If you told them you wanted to do it yourself, they would still have someone out front watching who would dash over and retrieve the cart. But, if it was a really busy time and all the Clearasil generation were busy, the patrons routinely, and without complaint, returned the carts themselves. Sure maybe there was a few ne'er-do-wells who would leave an occasional cart out in the parking lot, but between courteous shoppers and the lot lizards it was never a problem.

It was only when the "always the low price" stores started popping up that corners had to be cut to stay competitive, which meant employees...low paid employees first. Then, because the shopper wasn't getting treated like royalty, people started leaving more carts around. A few dings in the paint job equal a few complaints to the store but by voting with their dollars the consumer showed that job one was saving a few dollars at the register--the store owner just couldn't afford the full time attendant/baggers. Besides, as has been discussed, it's been impossible for insurance companies to stick store owners with the bill for the paint job. Still, it's not good policy to ignore your customer concerns..so, in an attempt to limit the damage parking lot corrals were invented.

That's where we find ourselves.

Not valuing service and treating service oriented businesses like a commodity to be gathered at the lowest possible price has destroyed a lot of the value we once received.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
I've refrained from posting my thoughts in this thread because I've already earned a reputation of being a old fogey and whenever I read this thread my first thought is, "Back when I was young..."  :lol

Nick's post about social contract (which I agree with) makes me want to also throw out, for your consideration, that we Americans have created this situation ourselves through consumerism and the "Walmart mentality."

It used to be that grocery stores did employ an army of pimply young people who would bag the groceries, walk your cart out to your car, load the groceries, and return the cart to the store's indoor corral. If you told them you wanted to do it yourself, they would still have someone out front watching who would dash over and retrieve the cart. But, if it was a really busy time and all the Clearasil generation were busy, the patrons routinely, and without complaint, returned the carts themselves. Sure maybe there was a few ne'er-do-wells who would leave an occasional cart out in the parking lot, but between courteous shoppers and the lot lizards it was never a problem.

It was only when the "always the low price" stores started popping up that corners had to be cut to stay competitive, which meant employees...low paid employees first. Then, because the shopper wasn't getting treated like royalty, people started leaving more carts around. A few dings in the paint job equal a few complaints to the store but by voting with their dollars the consumer showed that job one was saving a few dollars at the register--the store owner just couldn't afford the full time attendant/baggers. Besides, as has been discussed, it's been impossible for insurance companies to stick store owners with the bill for the paint job. Still, it's not good policy to ignore your customer concerns..so, in an attempt to limit the damage parking lot corrals were invented.

That's where we find ourselves.

Not valuing service and treating service oriented businesses like a commodity to be gathered at the lowest possible price has destroyed a lot of the value we once received.

So Stadler, do you return the cart or not??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »
 :rollin

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »

So Stadler, do you return the cart or not??

I always put them back. I also put away carts that others leave around. I wouldn't want anything accidentally wiping the semen off my car.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
I've refrained from posting my thoughts in this thread

:P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »
I file this in the social contract area of decency that if you take a cart to help with the shopping you should basically be agreeing to get it back to the proper spot when you're done.

I totally subscribe to this theory. I try and live by it in all parts of my life. But I just can't put carriage retrieval under this umbrella. This is the store's work. Maybe I'm just old. Because a store does not want to adequately staff the parking lot, I will not be shamed and deluded to think that this is somehow, not only my responsibility, but socially expected.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »

Answering the OP question is not the same as a lengthy discussion on why. :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »

Answering the OP question is not the same as a lengthy discussion on why. :P

Oh....

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
I always put my cart/trolley back, I can't believe people don't to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
I file this in the social contract area of decency that if you take a cart to help with the shopping you should basically be agreeing to get it back to the proper spot when you're done.

I totally subscribe to this theory. I try and live by it in all parts of my life. But I just can't put carriage retrieval under this umbrella. This is the store's work. Maybe I'm just old. Because a store does not want to adequately staff the parking lot, I will not be shamed and deluded to think that this is somehow, not only my responsibility, but socially expected.

But, respectfully, this thread is simply about moving them into the corral. Not rounding them up and bringing them inside, which is the store's duty. YOUR duty - moral obligation, rather - is to put the cart back in a common area where they can then be gathered by said employees, and you don't even have to go back inside the store to do it :)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2017, 02:54:16 PM »
He's just being grumpy, Kattelox. Just smile, nod, pat him on the head and he'll go back to sleep.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:42 PM »

You're not being shamed or deluded.   You're opting, with your actions, to accept lower prices.    Podaar says it like it's a bad thing, but honestly, I DON'T value that service.  I'm a fit (sort of) able (sort of) adult human.  I can walk my own fucking groceries to my car, thanks, and I don't need Opie to do it for me.   So in exchange for not doing that, I get to keep some dollars in my pocket.

I grew up in a small town, where everyone (pretty much) knew everyone.   The local grocery was "Faynor's".  I can't remember his first name, but Mr. Faynor was there all the time.   And they did all this.    My mom would say to the kid, "I brought my own" (meaning me and my brother) and we would carry the bags out.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
Did you then tip these people for carrying your bags and groceries to your car? 

It could be a generational thing since I haven't experienced this, but I kind of like to just do things myself if I can.  I always bag my own stuff even if someone is there to help, I help them or let them help someone else who needs it.  I just don't like standing there while someone does something for me that I am capable of myself, especially if it comes at a cost to me.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
You're not being shamed or deluded.   You're opting, with your actions, to accept lower prices.    Podaar says it like it's a bad thing, but honestly, I DON'T value that service.  I'm a fit (sort of) able (sort of) adult human.  I can walk my own fucking groceries to my car, thanks, and I don't need Opie to do it for me.   So in exchange for not doing that, I get to keep some dollars in my pocket.

I grew up in a small town, where everyone (pretty much) knew everyone.   The local grocery was "Faynor's".  I can't remember his first name, but Mr. Faynor was there all the time.   And they did all this.    My mom would say to the kid, "I brought my own" (meaning me and my brother) and we would carry the bags out.

I did, didn't I. That wasn't my intent. I was trying to point out that it inconsistent for us as consumers to choose low prices yet still expect white glove service. I know for most of us it's not an issue, though, so I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Where I grew up, it was store policy that the lot lizards weren't allowed to accept tips. They could be fired for it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »

It could be a generational thing since I haven't experienced this, but I kind of like to just do things myself if I can.  I always bag my own stuff even if someone is there to help, I help them or let them help someone else who needs it.  I just don't like standing there while someone does something for me that I am capable of myself, especially if it comes at a cost to me.
As far as I remember you were supposed to tip the people who carry your groceries, but then I'm not quite the fogey Podar is.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Nobody is!