Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 90231 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #420 on: August 28, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
I didn't think this would ever happen to me, but when I was near a 99 cents store, I saw shopping carts all over the place and they blocked three parking spots that I wanted to park at and this parking lot is pretty busy filled with lots of restaurants and stores.

You think people would have the decency to consider other people parking in a very busy lot and understand how hard it is to get a spot.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #421 on: August 28, 2018, 06:34:44 PM »
If all the carts were properly returned, would a store even need someone on that duty?

BINGO!!!!!

The entire reason they're there.

And make no mistake, we pay for those people.  It's not a courtesy eaten by the store.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: August 28, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »

No! It's not because the store tells you to, but because it's common decency! You should do it out of respect for those around you and their vehicles and not leaving the store's property all over the got dang place!

What is your opinion on courtesy flushing? I personally don't do it, and I'll explain why. You see, I have no intentions of stinking up the bathroom, but such is life. I also don't want to give the person who may be waiting the wrong idea. "The toilet flushed! They're coming out!" The last thing I want is someone getting impatient because the toilet flushed and they start banging on the door. I mean, if I have the shits, and I've courtesy flushed right when someone is in earshot, I can't exactly say "just a minute", and I definitely don't want to say, "I have the shits, I'll be in here a while!"

I always courtesy flush. it is, after all, a courtesy.  If there's a line, I'm pushing it out as fast as I can anyway (though, like Kattleox, I'm probably not shitting in a full room to start with).  If there's no line, or an open stall, it's a moot point.  But I have the philosophy of "minimizing my social footprinttm, and included in that is not leaving a toxic cloud where I lay my cable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: August 29, 2018, 04:20:53 AM »
What's more awkward, explaining to someone waiting to shit that your flush was a courtesy and you need more time or having the person waiting in your stink but avoid the convo?  :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #424 on: August 29, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »
What's more awkward, explaining to someone waiting to shit that your flush was a courtesy and you need more time or having the person waiting in your stink but avoid the convo?  :lol

So true, lose, lose  :lol

Additionally, most public toilets that I use nowadays (primarily the ones at my office) are those auto - flush ones, so the courtesy flush now requires me to awkwardly half-stand up to try to get it to flush. Usually not worth the effort.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #425 on: August 29, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »

So true, lose, lose  :lol

Additionally, most public toilets that I use nowadays (primarily the ones at my office) are those auto - flush ones, so the courtesy flush now requires me to awkwardly half-stand up to try to get it to flush. Usually not worth the effort.

I hate those things.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #426 on: August 29, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
Speaking of public restrooms....on an unrelated note...but can we PLEASE put music in there? It's so god damn awkward to either be in there with someone taking a dump, or be the guy taking a dump while another person's there....in complete dead silence. Ugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #427 on: August 29, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
Speaking of public restrooms....on an unrelated note...but can we PLEASE put music in there? It's so god damn awkward to either be in there with someone taking a dump, or be the guy taking a dump while another person's there....in complete dead silence. Ugh.

My company moved into a new office building about 2 years ago and this building plays the same music from the lobby in all the restrooms. It's awesome. Totally adds that background level of sound to drown out some unpleasant noises.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 29, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »

Would you rather someone be on the phone?  That's even more annoying.  If someone is in the stall next to me on the phone, i make sure I courtesy flush (even if not necessary) so who ever is on the other end knows he is in the bathroom while talking to you.

What I really can't stand are those damn timed lights in bathrooms, specifically at work.  I get paid by the hour, you think I'm rushing to shit?  Those lights turning off on me means I need to either get up mid shit and move the door so the lights come back on, or risk having someone come in on me shitting in the dark.  I'm yet to have someone walk in on me trying to turn the lights on with my pants around my ankles though, that will be a rough day but I sense it is coming.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #429 on: August 29, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
I think I've mentioned it before but at my job we have the one restroom. No stall, just a small room with the essentials, y'know. Sometimes we throw firecrackers under the door to literally scare the shit out of coworkers, or blast an airgun in there. Much more fun than all those fancy auto-lights and auto-flushers :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
 :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: August 29, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »

A good part of the reason I only use public when I absolutely have to.   The whole experience is... Bear Grylls laughs at me. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #432 on: August 29, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
This thread just reminded me of something. I knew a dude in AA that used to make his sponsees go to stores and randomly put all the loose shopping carts back in the corral, and just leave. It was one of his ways to teach them to be useful and introduce a little humility.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
You should send him the address of bosk1's Costco. A target rich environment.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #434 on: August 29, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »

Oh and this past Sunday,

ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

I assume the issue with this photo is the silver minivan that's parked over the line.  Right?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #435 on: August 29, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »

Or pretty much ANY Costco in Northern California, from what I've seen. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »

Or pretty much ANY Costco in Northern California, from what I've seen.

Right. My bad. I should have said bosk1's area code or zip code not Costco.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »
???  What does that have to do with what I just said?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
Nothing, I guess.

:emo:

General direction?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »

Oh and this past Sunday,

ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

I assume the issue with this photo is the silver minivan that's parked over the line.  Right?

Since you mention it... 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #440 on: August 29, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »

A good part of the reason I only use public when I absolutely have to.   The whole experience is... Bear Grylls laughs at me.
Naw, I try to always be proud of my dumps.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »

Naw, I try to always be proud of my dumps.

What happens in the bathrooms is a sin and we shouldn't even acknowledge any of the those shameful acts. If there are other people in the bathrooms, they don't exist. Human interaction doesn't exist. Time doesn't exist. Get it, take care of business, get out. Anything that makes the experience more forgettable is an improvement.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #442 on: August 29, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
If you've ever worked parking lot duty in retail, you know the huge sigh you make when you see all the dumbasses with the carts backwards, sideways, etc., in the f'in corral. Bunch of degenerates.  :lol

What is "Parking lot duty?" Wouldn't retrieving carts not returned to the corral or arranging them properly while in the corral be part of the job and thus not worthy of a huge sigh? If all the carts were properly returned, would a store even need someone on that duty? I get that it makes it a little harder, but it's not like being a hotel housekeeper or pool cleaner and having Keith Moon stay at your establishment.

That's a damn good point.  :lol

All I can say is...collecting those carts is a bitch, particularly in the snow. I worked at a now bankrupt department store chain called Caldor (almost exactly like Target, same colors and everything) in the mid-90s, for a couple of years while in college. I still have nightmares collecting those m'fing carts in the snow.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #443 on: August 29, 2018, 02:57:03 PM »
I remember Caldor!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #444 on: August 29, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
My mom would go shopping and I'd stay in Caldor watching TV until it was time to leave.  Lol.

I saw Police Squad for the first time there. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #445 on: August 29, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
My mom would go shopping and I'd stay in Caldor watching TV until it was time to leave.  Lol.

I saw Police Squad for the first time there. :lol

I worked the second shift in Sight and Sound. I used to crank Queensryche, Dream Theater, and some other bands after the boss went home at 5. (I worked 2-10). It was pretty cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: August 29, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
I remember Caldor!

I used to go to Caldor with my grandma; they sometimes had good records. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #447 on: August 29, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
I discovered Lucifer's Friend in the bargain bin at Woolworth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #448 on: August 29, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »

Pretty harsh referring to King that way.  And I didn't even know he hung out at Woolworth, but I guess it kinda makes sense.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »

I discovered grilled cheese and dots on a paper there. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: August 29, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »

Pretty harsh referring to King that way.  And I didn't even know he hung out at Woolworth, but I guess it kinda makes sense.

Well, they had a lunch counter, so I figured it was as good of place as any to start.

(and literally as I'm typing, this gets posted)

See Bosk? See? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #451 on: August 29, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
:rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: August 29, 2018, 04:07:17 PM »

Hey! My grandma took me there! Lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #453 on: August 29, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »
That actually sounds a lot like a store we used to have out here called Gemco.  In fact, the one I had near me was actually replaced by a Target in that same location after Gemco went under.  I don't think anybody had yet heard of Target, so that was interesting.  And, yeah, Gemco had music too.  I remember seeing Y&T cassettes there, but can't remember if I actually bought any.  I got most or all of them from The Wherehouse.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:50:30 PM by bosk1 »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: August 29, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »

Well, they had a lunch counter, so I figured it was as good of place as any to start.

(and literally as I'm typing, this gets posted)

See Bosk? See? :lol

YES!   My grandma took me there too; she'd sit at the lunch counter, drinking coffee, and I'd go to the record bin there - you could get cassettes for like a $1.00; I got the first four Sabbath tapes there, and a Yes tape (Fragile I think).  Then I'd go to Karl Graf's (a local record store) by 12" singles then come back and join Gram and have a hot dog.   Good times.

I miss my grandma a lot, to this day, and it's been 25 years.