Author Topic: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?  (Read 92555 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
Made a comment on a relative's Facebook post about (in general) lazy bastards leaving their shopping carts in the lot instead of walking them over to the corral. If you can drag it through the store, weigh it down with products, bring it back out to your car... you can push the empty cart a few extra feet. Yes, you are a lazy bastard if you don't do that, and you should admit it. Well, a friend of said relative admitted she is too lazy to put them up, but was apparently deeply offended by my comment...

So, fess up. Do you do the right thing, or do you leave carts out to roll around and damage people's cars?  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Do you put the shopping carts back in the corral?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:03:39 AM »
We had a similar conversation here at some point. It was surprisingly divided. Several people were pretty adamant that they do NOT have any reason to put the cart back.

Personally, I always do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
yes.

Having worked retail for many years, the annoyance of misplaced product of any kind is a pain in the ass.

put the cart where it belongs.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:11:19 AM »
We had a similar conversation here at some point. It was surprisingly divided. Several people were pretty adamant that they do NOT have any reason to put the cart back.

Personally, I always do.

Yea, we've had this debate before and I was also surprised people don't return the carts.  I always do because I hate when I pull into a spot and then have to pull out cause I realize some inconsiderate person didn't return the cart to the corral. 

Now, I return to the corral in the parking lot but I don't return them to the pick up spot near the store entrance.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
We did just have this conversation recently.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »
Sorry everyone, didn't realize this was a recent thing, thought it was something that wouldn't come up much.  :lol

I work in the family business of auto repair and we get a number of jobs in from people damaged in parking lots, usually close to half from shopping carts and the rest from somehow hitting the light poles or wind catching the doors. Put your carts back for the sake of others, even minor damage isn't cheap to fix.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
I always put them back. I also put away carts that others leave around. I wouldn't want anything accidentally wiping the semen off my car.

Kattelox, I think the old conversation is buried in the "pissed off" thread.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 09:43:21 AM »
I wouldn't want anything accidentally wiping the semen off my car.

:lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
I do. Most of the time.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Always. It’s pretty rude not to
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
I always do, it’s rude not to, plus a few extra steps won’t kill me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
I always put them back. I also put away carts that others leave around. I wouldn't want anything accidentally wiping the semen off my car.

What on Earth  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:46 AM »
I always do, don't know why I wouldn't.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »

What on Earth  :lol

Sorry, it's an inside joke aimed at TAC.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »
I almost never use carts. On the rare occasion that I do I park right next to a corral. If I'm walking to the store and there's a stray about I'll usually either knock it over so it can't roll or prop the front wheels up on a curb. Somebody other than me gets paid to deal with that.

And I believe "recently" is way back towards the beginning of my pissed off thread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
I always do. Though, I didn't know that their home place was called a "corral". (Over here we call them "trolleys" and they live in a "trolley park")

I've learned something new today.

DTF: A place of education.. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

No it isn't.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »
DTF: A place of education.. :lol

And frequently not the education you were expecting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
So, fess up. Do you do the right thing, or do you leave carts out to roll around and damage people's cars?

Wrong question. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
Return it or I will destroy you all.

Recently I had a guy hit my parked car with his truck, back out and park in another spot.  He went into the store with 2 other buddies and was never going to tell me about the damage and lucky for me 3 by standards saw and stayed to tell me.  He walked right by me going to his truck like he didn't know anything and I yelled out to him the police were on the way.

$3700.00 of damage and of course he had no insurance.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Skeever

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »
Return it or I will destroy you all.

Recently I had a guy hit my parked car with his truck, back out and park in another spot.  He went into the store with 2 other buddies and was never going to tell me about the damage and lucky for me 3 by standards saw and stayed to tell me.  He walked right by me going to his truck like he didn't know anything and I yelled out to him the police were on the way.

$3700.00 of damage and of course he had no insurance.

It's always some dbag who thinks he needs to have a huge pickup that he doesn't actually need or know how to drive.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
I always return the cart. Unless I'm in a hurry, I will prop it up beside the curb or put it sideways from gravity doing its job and causing it to roll, in the middle of the parking spaces on the yellow/white line.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »

No it isn't.

It kinda seems like it is though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »

No it isn't.
First off, as a person with grocery store management experience this is an opinion that carries more weight than our own.

Secondly, I think you need to elaborate on that. As I recall, the last time this came up you found my "it's somebody else's job" argument less than compelling.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »
TAC is the person who doesn't flush the toilet in a public restroom.  ;)  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
Come on, now. Let's go a bit easy on TAC. As a valued member of this community, he's earned our respect. Just his life-hack alone -- not needing to wash your car because, you know, rain -- has proven to be remarkably unvaluable.

:tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »

No it isn't.
First off, as a person with grocery store management experience this is an opinion that carries more weight than our own.

Secondly, I think you need to elaborate on that. As I recall, the last time this came up you found my "it's somebody else's job" argument less than compelling.

TAC looks as it as a service that a grocery store should supply.  The problem is, it's never managed correctly and carts are left all over the place that can damage cars.  So the decent thing to do is to walk a few feet and put the cart in the corral.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »

No it isn't.

TAC looks as it as a service that a grocery store should supply.  The problem is, it's never managed correctly and carts are left all over the place that can damage cars.  So the decent thing to do is to walk a few feet and put the cart in the corral.

Then what's the point of the corrals if not for people to return the carts to them?  The guy who roams the lots job is to bring them back to the front of the store I thought.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
I'm not saying he's right! :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
Then what's the point of the corrals if not for people to return the carts to them?  The guy who roams the lots job is to bring them back to the front of the store I thought.

"The guy who roams the lots" has many other job duties in addition to collecting carts.  I worked at a grocery store in high school, starting out as a grocery bagger.  We were assigned one hour shifts to be on cart duty in the lots to collect and bring them up.  This was before stores had the nice, motorized units that do the pushing for them.   >:(

If it's busy, they may get called back inside to bag groceries, so they're not always going to be roaming the lots, looking for carts to bring up.  So people should do the right thing, and put their cart in the corral, so it's not blowing around in the wind hitting cars until someone has a chance to grab it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Or management need to staff better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
So I've spent my entire adult life working for a major supermarket chain. I became a Front End Manager, an Assistant Store Manager, and became a Store Manager for 16 years. I stepped down to a Grocery Department Manager 4 years ago to accommodate some home issues. Not that my opinion matters more than anyone elses, but I just thought I'd mention that. I have taken dozens of carriage damage claims over the years. What funny is that like 75% of them the customer says, "I just got the car this week." :lol

Anyway what I would also tell you about my self is that I am not a rude person by any stretch. I am more than friendly and polite. I may tailgate you if you are driving too slow in the passing lane, but am more than happy to let people in if they are trying to come out of a tough side street.
I am also a reluctant tipper. Because someone takes my order and retrieves my food, I now have to inflate my bill by 10-20%? Fuck that.

Likewise, I also don't feel like I should have to return my carriage when I go grocery shopping. I can't remember when corrals started popping up, but why would I do the store's work? What's next? Bag my own groceries? They already have me sucked in on that. First hours to be cut? Bagging Hours. Which coincidentally are the same people that collect carriages. Next thing you know, I'll be scanning my own order. Oh that's right. Self Checkout, where maybe there might be a monitor to help on up to 6 registers. Follow me?
And this has nothing to do with my work experience. This is common sense. I am not a "stick it to the man" kind of guy, but I also don't like places where I spend my money to expect me to do what I am paying them to do. Does that make sense?

These corrals weren't erected for the greater good of mankind. They were erected to (sorry to pull a Stadler) 1) save labor costs, and 2) save on damage claims. That's it. But the stores have to be psyched because what has happened over time is that it is now accepted practice to return these carts. God forbid you don't and you'd be considered "rude" or "inconsiderate". Yeah, times change and accepted public norms change with it, but the last thing I need is some "do gooder" telling me that it is my duty to return my cart.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »
Tim, funny you're talking about claims, here I am at a grocery store and I see a kid shagging carriages and now they have them push it from the opposite side. so this kid has to hunch over to push these 10 carts.

At some point the first carriage got loose and hit cars so instead of using the straps that they had in the early 2000's, then I'll push the cards backwards not caring about these young kids backs. All in a sake of money.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
Tim, funny you're talking about claims, here I am at a grocery store and I see a kid shagging carriages and now they have them push it from the opposite side. so this kid has to hunch over to push these 10 carts.

At some point the first carriage got loose and hit cars so instead of using the straps that they had in the early 2000's, then I'll push the cards backwards not caring about these young kids backs. All in a sake of money.

Well, policy is no more than 6 at a time. For two reasons. Worker's Comp, and like you said, you cannot control a long pile. And policy is to use a strap.