Dream Theater > Concerts and Set Lists

11/8/2017 - Greensburg (Pittsburgh), PA Show

<< < (2/2)

zappafrank2112:

--- Quote from: mikeyd23 on November 09, 2017, 07:08:15 AM ---
Overall great, great show! Go see this tour!

--- End quote ---

Different impressions of James and capacity aside, I wholeheartedly echo this sentiment.  During the tour for TA, the same friend and I were talking about how we felt the band needed to chill on releasing album after album, and just do "an evening with" format where they play a bunch of rarely played stuff, no ulterior motive of promoting an album.

Little did I know not only we'd get an AMAZING rendition of I&W (and I was one of those people who saw the debut of Pull Me Under on Headbangers Ball and rushed out to buy the album), but I'd FINALLY... after 25 years of following the band... 22 years of knowing the song... and 17 years/12 shows of actually getting to see them live... FINALLY hear A CHANGE OF SEASONS *(^)*^!@&*#^&*)^@&*)&^#))!#!!!!!!!

mikeyd23:

--- Quote from: zappafrank2112 on November 09, 2017, 10:35:04 AM ---Wow, I had the exact opposite impression.  Both my friend and I felt he was dogging it about 75% of the show, meandering weird substitutions where higher notes should be, trailing off his lines, and all around acting really odd and babbling in between songs.

--- End quote ---

Couple of things, (1) he definitely struggled in a couple spots but I never felt like he was "dogging it", (2) he certainly altered melodies for some lines, but he's been doing that this entire I&W tour cycle so I totally expected it and have no problem with it, and (3) James acting odd and babbling IS James, not sure why that's surprising at all, I find his awkward banter charming.

--- Quote from: zappafrank2112 on November 09, 2017, 10:42:15 AM ---10 rows?  I'm guessing it wasn't *that* empty back there.  The 2 rows in the middle, I can believe... I've often gotten those seats literally at the door before b/c guests/whoever never showed.  But the entire back corner empty?  10 rows is a lot.

I'm also not sure about the balcony.  I have a friend who was up there, so I'll need to check with him to see what it was like.

Not sure when you came in, but I got into the venue about 10 or 15 minutes before start, and as I waiting in the lobby for my friend, a LOT of people just starting appearing from out of nowhere, so depending on when you saw the empty rows (which I realize might have been throughout the show), those could just be stragglers.  Plus, it's possible a lot of people just assumed the show started at 8, instead of the 7:45 it actually was.

Did you go through Ticketfly for your seats?  I avoid that as much as possible given A) you can't choose your seats - only price level, and B) the exorbitant fees.  Venue website you can pick your seats with a much lower set of fees, even fewer if you order from the box office over the phone and choose will call (vs. mail).

--- End quote ---

Yup, it was probably close to ten rows in the back on JP's side, and they were empty the whole show, not just near the beginning.

I got my tickets directly from the promoters site, I don't remember if it linked me to ticket fly or not. It did provide me a better seat than the venue was showing available at a comparable price.

--- Quote from: zappafrank2112 on November 09, 2017, 10:55:38 AM ---Different impressions of James and capacity aside, I wholeheartedly echo this sentiment.  During the tour for TA, the same friend and I were talking about how we felt the band needed to chill on releasing album after album, and just do "an evening with" format where they play a bunch of rarely played stuff, no ulterior motive of promoting an album.

Little did I know not only we'd get an AMAZING rendition of I&W (and I was one of those people who saw the debut of Pull Me Under on Headbangers Ball and rushed out to buy the album), but I'd FINALLY... after 25 years of following the band... 22 years of knowing the song... and 17 years/12 shows of actually getting to see them live... FINALLY hear A CHANGE OF SEASONS *(^)*^!@&*#^&*)^@&*)&^#))!#!!!!!!!

--- End quote ---

Good stuff, glad you had fun!  :metal

Shooters1221:
Had a great time at this show also. Great sound from row E, seat 1. Got a pick from JP and a fist bump from MM. I think you guys said the rest. :tup :tup :tup :tup

efxf:
If I recall correctly the balcony was pretty full.  I couldn't see the orchestra section from my spot.

Overall I thought the show was great!  Here's a few videos I took (more on my YouTube page)...

Metropolis Pt 2 - https://youtu.be/RwWIuEGKjQc
Wait for Sleep - https://youtu.be/Vo2TzOv2XF0
A Change of Seasons - https://youtu.be/p3AHDt2z8MM

-Stef

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version