Author Topic: 11/04/17 - Peoria, IL Show  (Read 5687 times)

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
11/04/17 - Peoria, IL Show
« on: October 30, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Is anybody doing anything beforehand?  Is anybody even going to this show?  I'm coming in from St. Louis, so I'll be in attendance. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: 11/04/17 - Peoria, IL Show
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
I'll be there. I'm about an hour and a half east, not sure exactly when I'm going to arrive but I'm heading straight for the venue.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Yep. I'll be there as well. Probably get there around 3:00-4:00. I'm bringing my 10 and 11 year old sons for their first ever concert :metal  My wife is coming as well. I booked a room so we won't have to rush back to St. Louis after the show. Can't wait   :metal

As far as before hand....depending on what time we arrive and get checked in I was just planning on heading down to the river front as I hear it's been refreshed and is nice to walk around.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline musicman61554

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
I am beyond excited.  I dont get to make it out to too many concerts and DT has been my all time favorite band and influence over the last 20 years.  I am doing the VIP treatment since I dont think they will ever come to Peoria again but man Im excited. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
I am beyond excited.  I dont get to make it out to too many concerts and DT has been my all time favorite band and influence over the last 20 years.  I am doing the VIP treatment since I dont think they will ever come to Peoria again but man Im excited.

I drug my feet on the VIP package and it's sold out now. I was back and forth on whether or not I wanted to do it and went online one last time to look at it and the decision was made for me. SOLD OUT.

Offline musicman61554

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »

I drug my feet on the VIP package and it's sold out now. I was back and forth on whether or not I wanted to do it and went online one last time to look at it and the decision was made for me. SOLD OUT.
  That sucks man.  Yea I live right next to Peoria and figured go all out since it wont happen again.  Dream Theater is always a solid 3 hours from Central Illinois and I have travel restrictions so this is perfect. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 11:17:42 AM »
Same, musicman. I'm just north of Champaign so I always have to either go to Chicago or St. Louis and I hate driving in both of those places so this is an awesome change and this week can't go by fast enough.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MadWi

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
Hi All.  New to this forum but not Dream Theater.  Making the drive down from Madison WI.  2nd row in front of JP.   :metal

Offline musicman61554

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »

Hi All.  New to this forum but not Dream Theater.  Making the drive down from Madison WI.  2nd row in front of JP.   :metal
  Awesome man, I'm in the front row almost center.   I will be the 6'3 beast probably tearing up from joy. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
I really thought about going to this show, but none of the peeps who usually go to Dream Theater with me can make this trip, and doing the 6-hour roundtrip from St Louis to Peoria and back in the same night doesn't sound like fun. And not to sound like an old man, but my back has had a few tweaks and knots this week, and that much time in the car would have me hunched over when I wake up Sunday.  No thanks.

Hope y'all have fun, though!! :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
That's a shame Kev. It's gonna be a hell of a night...

My seat's way in the back but that's fine, I'm familiar with the Civic Center so I'm gonna enjoy it no matter what. If anybody wants to say hi just hit me up. :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
Being that it's my two sons first concert....i bought first row balcony seats so they didn't have anyone in front of them. They're the upper balcony but judging from the pics I've seen of the inside of the theater they'll still be pretty good seats for us.

We've got a hotel booked so there won't be a need to get home that night...we can take our time and what not. Really looking forward to it.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »
Any locals, or anyone that knows the area, know of any good places to get a drink and/or eat in that area?

Offline jsbru

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »
I live in St. Louis, and was going to meet some friends in Chicago for the show tonight, but I had too much going on with work tonight, so I had to take a pass.

They had a bunch of fun, so now I'm really regretting it and entertaining thoughts of going to Peoria.  I have no St. Louis friends that like DT enough to make the trip, and my friends in Chicago had to get back to their families.  I don't know if I want to drive 2.5 hours to go to a show by myself, but I could be convinced if there was some sort of meetup before or after.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 07:43:38 AM »
I don't know if I want to drive 2.5 hours to go to a show by myself, but I could be convinced if there was some sort of meetup before or after.

I drove 4 hours to go to the Wichita show alone.  It's worth it.  Besides, once you got there, you're not alone -- you're among DT family.  I visited with quite a few other fellow fans at the venue, and ran into a couple guys in DT shirts at a record store in Wichita earlier in the day that I later saw at the show.  And once the lights go down it doesn't really matter if you went alone or not.

Just go!!!!   :metal :metal :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
I'll be there tonight. Might have a ticket in the first or second row available for less than face value if anybody is interested. Don't know where exactly because it is for a meet and greet and the guy couldn't go. My friend and I have 6th row seats so one of us is going to do the meet-and-greet in order to get something signed for this guy because he is having health issues. My friend and I would rather sit together with the tickets were you originally purchased so that meet-and-greets seat will be available we just don't know where it's at specifically. I think the only thing we know is it says it is a seat near the front.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Yeah guys if you're on the fence just GO. It'll be worth it. :)

I'm in row V seat 18 tonight although I'm probably not getting there until after 7. Totally down to grab a beer afterwards though.

Offline DrmTheater67

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
I was at the Chicago show last night. WHAT A NIGHT! I sprung for the VIP package. Here's how it went down. We were told to be there by 5pm. We actually got to be with the group at 6pm. We first took the photos, and then did the signing. I brought my bass guitar. Not just any bass guitar, but one similar to what John Myung plays only a 5 string version, Bongo HH5. I get the bass signed by all the members. Myung was last to sign, as I wanted him to sign it on the horn of the bass. THEN he proceeds to pick it up and start playing/practicing on it! AND there's a photo of that action. Now I can't play that bass anymore, but that's ok.

The concert was just as good. They did songs from various albums, then the intermission, then they play ALL of Images and Words. Then for the encore, they play all of A Change of Seasons.  What a night.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
Well, I'm going for sure now.  HMU via PM on here if you want to meet either before or after.  It's possible Madman Shepherd or his friend and I will be hanging around at 6 or so.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »
We’ve arrived. Pretty sweet that the hotel we are staying at is connected via a walkway to the Civic Center.

Kiddos are at the hotel pool now, gonna grab some grub around 5 then hope to be at the venue by 7 to look around and what not.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
 I'm here. Catch me during intermission or afterwards. Long brown hair, leather jacket, more than likely by himself. :) Row V... sitting in the wide open haha

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
Wish I was there. :(

Have fun, peeps!! :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »
Holy cow what an incredible show! I mean, it was freaking awesome! My oldest son hasn’t stopped asking me when we’re going to see them again.  :lol    JLB sounded great and the band was on point as usual.

And i have to say that the crowd in Peoria may have been the best crowd I’ve ever been in. Singing along to near every song....high energy the whole time....it was great!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 11:32:10 PM »
Holy cow what an incredible show! I mean, it was freaking awesome! My oldest son hasn’t stopped asking me when we’re going to see them again.  :lol    JLB sounded great and the band was on point as usual.

And i have to say that the crowd in Peoria may have been the best crowd I’ve ever been in. Singing along to near every song....high energy the whole time....it was great!

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Glad the show was great!! :coolio

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 01:42:18 AM »
I just got home. What an amazing concert. And I met JP and JR after. Incredible night...

Nice meeting you Madman!! Take care and I hope to see you again! Sorry I missed everyone else, was a hectic evening.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 02:35:57 AM »

I was surprised by how high energy the crowd was. Band was more interactive with each other than I ever saw. So much to say about the show but I'll save it for tomorrow. I will say this...ive seen dream theater 9 times now and this was the second best show I've been to.

Offline musicman61554

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
Wow......completely AMAZING CONCERT!!!!!!!!  Being in the front row is just a whole other experience.   The sound was impeccable.   You heard every single thing.  The meet and greet was so much fun.   Went very smooth.  It was a dream to meet them.  The show almost sold out.   Hopefully Peoria becomes a regular in the touring schedule.  :)

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »
It really was an incredible show. The sound was great, as was the crowd, which I was a little surprised by. I figured since its some little town in central Illinois people wouldn't be as into it. But everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves, including the band. Didn't James say something at the end about returning soon? Could just be part of his standard ending spiel, but it'd be great if they liked it enough to come back.

The Happy Birthday to Jordan part was really cool as well!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
It really was an incredible show. The sound was great, as was the crowd, which I was a little surprised by. I figured since its some little town in central Illinois people wouldn't be as into it. But everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves, including the band. Didn't James say something at the end about returning soon? Could just be part of his standard ending spiel, but it'd be great if they liked it enough to come back.

Hell, I think because it was in central Illinois people were more excited  :lol I think James said they'll be back with a new album and tour sometime 2019. And as said before I too hope they come to Peoria again. Much less hectic to deal with than St. Louis or Chicago.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »

Hell, I think because it was in central Illinois people were more excited  :lol I think James said they'll be back with a new album and tour sometime 2019. And as said before I too hope they come to Peoria again. Much less hectic to deal with than St. Louis or Chicago.

I’ll say this....we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott and it was connected to the Civic Center via an enclosed overpass. It was super convenient being i had the kids with me.

As far as the crowd, I’ve never been involved in a crowd that participated that much as far as singing. It was pretty awesome. M

My wife was enthralled with watching Mangini....she just can’t get over how ‘busy’ he is and all the things he hits...how fast etc. and, she was saying he’s funny with all his expressions and interactions with the other band members and crowd.

As far as the crowd size, I’d guess that place was 90% full.

Offline musicman61554

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
The theater seats 2200 people......right before the show a  little over 2000 tickets were sold so it was almost sold out.   I really hope they come back. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
I doubt they will. I'm not an expert on tour logistics but I think the only reason it worked out to go to Peoria was that there were no available venues in St. Louis.  Then again, if they ever do a second leg of a tour, the demand in St. Louis might be low so they may look for more secondary venues.  I was surprised at the energy of the crowd in little sleepy Peoria.  So not all together impossible, but still not likely.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
I doubt they will. I'm not an expert on tour logistics but I think the only reason it worked out to go to Peoria was that there were no available venues in St. Louis.  Then again, if they ever do a second leg of a tour, the demand in St. Louis might be low so they may look for more secondary venues.  I was surprised at the energy of the crowd in little sleepy Peoria.  So not all together impossible, but still not likely.

But JR did ask the crowd how many were from Peoria and like 20 people raised their hand, so there were a bunch of folks who traveled for the show. i talked to a couple people that said they were at the show the night before in Chicago and came down to the Peoria show. I talked to another guy who came in from Kansas City. it's a pretty easy drive....it was only 2 hrs 45 minutes for me from St. Louis.

I was bummed they didn't do a St. Louis show but honestly, when they came through for The Astonishing they played the Peabody Opera House which is a beautiful Venue....great acoustics....but I'd say it was half sold. I know they diluted the crap out of the market for 'The Astonishing'....it seemed like they played near every city they could so I think that's why it was such a low turnout. Plus, folks from KC and Chicago aren't traveling to St. Louis because they typically get the DT show near every tour. Really no point for them to. I think this show in Peoria happened to be a perfect fit and it showed. That crowed was awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »
Hmmm, I thought the show here for The Astonishing was more full than that.  The first floor was pretty packed, except for the back on both sides.  I remember looking around a few times and being pleased at the turnout.  :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
I remember it being better filled than half, but I was up front. I thought it was funny to see a couple guys standing in the aisles for that show haha. Band sounded tight as hell then too. Side note, the Peabody is a beautiful place