Author Topic: 10/28/2017 - Phoenix, AZ. Chandler Center Show  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Gromit1710

10/28/2017 - Phoenix, AZ. Chandler Center Show
« on: October 29, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
Well, thankfully they managed to nail the venue down here!

The show last night was great. I really enjoyed the stripped down stage show without all the extra media / screens / props. Just a lighted curtain for a backdrop and 4 of the spinning light bars held over from the Astonishing tour was all that was on the deck. It gave it a more relaxed and intimate feeling. I had seats in Row H (8th row) right in front of JP so the view was incredible. 

The 1st set was identical to the LA show. Opening up with "The Dark Eternal Night" was brutal and woke the place up nicely. I really enjoyed hearing "Breaking All Illusions" live again. It's my favorite track off of ADTOE and hearing it with real drum presence makes it all the more special. JM's "Portrait of Tracy" was amazing and the way it flowed into "As I Am" was perfect. "Hells Kitchen" was damn near orgasmic.

James took a couple of moments a few times to talk about the history of the band and just talk to the audience. It was really neat to see a more relaxed and casual show rather than the ultra serious performances I've seen for both the TA and DM album these last few years.

Hearing I&W live (for probably the last time) was everything I expected it to be. Sure, I missed some of James's soaring notes when he opted to take a different melodic path, but I don't fault him at all for it. I get it. I also missed some of the Portnoy rolls and flairs I've been accustomed to for the last quarter century, but Mangini added his own unique feel to it and watching him perform is always amazing. His one handed 64th notes casually pulled off are a sight to behold.

If "Hells Kitchen" was damn near orgasmic, then the extended solo at the end of "Take The Time" was absolutely orgasmic. One of the highlights of the entire show for me. DT's improvish type jams have always been my favorite part of seeing them live and this was no exception. The performance of "Wait For Sleep" was touching and matured. James really shined with his voice on this song.

My only dislikes about the show was the PA. Wasn't so much a dislike I guess rather than surprised at how god damn loud it was. I haven't heard them THIS loud in probably a decade or more. The mix was a bit punishing at times as well. Super hot right in the 2k-4k range, right where your eardrums feel it. I've not taken earplugs to a DT show in quite some time as usually the mix has been superb. Last night I found myself wishing I had by the 3rd or 4th song of the evening. I just went out and got a couple more of those $7 IPA's and then everything was fine.

Also James seemed buried in the mix at times and he was difficult to understand. I'm not sure if this was because of his diction and enunciation or if it was just muddied mixing. Probably a little of both as we all know our pal James well enough.

But I really did enjoy the show from start to finish. I'm glad they came and performed here for this anniversary and of course I'll see them again next time. I've not missed a tour in 25 years. Not about to miss one any time soon!

Although, it was a sign of those 25 years when both JP and JLB would turn around and the bald spots were visible on them both. Getting old is a bitch.

10/28/2017
Phoenix, AZ.
Chandler Center For The Performing Arts.
Start time - 8pm
End - 11pm

Act I

The Dark Eternal Night

The Bigger Picture

Hell's Kitchen

To Live Forever

Don't Look Past Me

Portrait of Tracy
(Jaco Pastorius cover)

As I Am
(with 'Enter Sandman' snippet)

Breaking All Illusions

Act II: Images and Words

Pull Me Under

Another Day

Take the Time
(extended outro with a John Petrucci guitar solo)

Surrounded

Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
(with a drum solo by Mike Mangini)

Under a Glass Moon

Wait for Sleep
(with extended keyboard intro by Jordan Rudess)

Learning to Live

Encore:
A Change of Seasons: I The Crimson Sunrise

A Change of Seasons: II Innocence

A Change of Seasons: III Carpe Diem

A Change of Seasons: IV The Darkest of Winters

A Change of Seasons: V Another World

A Change of Seasons: VI The Inevitable Summer

A Change of Seasons: VII The Crimson Sunset

Offline Mladen

Re: 10/28/2017 - Phoenix, AZ. Chandler Center Show
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »
That's a fantastic review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
Glad they are keeping TBP in the set list..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline deadwinged

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 06:16:43 AM »
Pretty much spot on review. Great show!

Offline arvizu9618

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
Great review as I was there too, front row JR/JM side  :tup

It was the BEST and last concert I'll ever attend, yes getting old is a Biatchi

The guys haven't missed a step, they were superb!

Offline deadwinged

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
When they took their bow, someone took a picture from behind the drum kit. I'm sure they do that every show, but do they post them all anywhere?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
The question though is, are you all now satisfied with how Mangini handled Hell's Kitchen?  :lol Because when Mangini came here to Manila, I felt that he pretty much nailed it while still playing ins his own style. :D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Check out the DT USA Facebook page.......https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterusa/

James and Mike showed up at the preshow get together !!!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
The question though is, are you all now satisfied with how Mangini handled Hell's Kitchen?  :lol Because when Mangini came here to Manila, I felt that he pretty much nailed it while still playing ins his own style. :D
I thought he sounded great on it!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:20:44 PM »
Check out the DT USA Facebook page.......https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterusa/

James and Mike showed up at the preshow get together !!!

Yeah, I saw that post today - you folks are SUPER lucky!  That's great fan service right there.

Offline DrmTheater67

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
That's pretty much how it went in Chicago last night. Really good concert.