Author Topic: My thoughts on DT so far...  (Read 12743 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: My thoughts on DT so far...
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2017, 04:33:00 AM »
Welcome aboard, RKW! Fantastic first post!  :tup

Nice reviews on the albums you've heard so far. You're yet to hear some of the best ones, though. Six degrees and The Astonishing are among their best releases, so you're in for a treat over the next two months.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 08:17:57 AM »

Awake is an interesting recommandation, I really like the cover for that one.

Awake has long been a favorite of the fan base (it consistently finishes in the top 3-4 in polls here, is their 3rd highest rated studio album at Rate Your Music behind only Scenes and I&W, and is their 4th highest rated studio album at Prog Archives).  And the band has played most of the songs in the Mangini era so far (8 of the 11 songs), so both the fans and the band love it.  Prepare yourself. :metal

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 12:12:38 AM »

Awake is an interesting recommandation, I really like the cover for that one.

Awake has long been a favorite of the fan base (it consistently finishes in the top 3-4 in polls here, is their 3rd highest rated studio album at Rate Your Music behind only Scenes and I&W, and is their 4th highest rated studio album at Prog Archives).  And the band has played most of the songs in the Mangini era so far (8 of the 11 songs), so both the fans and the band love it.  Prepare yourself. :metal
Awake was my first DT album that I've heard... so perfect way to get into DT :)

Offline RKW

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:42 AM »
Well, Awake must be a great album in that case!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 06:38:49 AM »
Well, Awake must be a great album in that case!

It damn is. It's the black pearl opposed to the shining gem that is Images and Words - dark, heavy, and with absolutely perfectly constructed songs. The longer songs are all cohesive and brillaint, and there's an instrumental which is a total treat!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 07:15:52 AM »
Awake might be a bit difficult at first, though, so be prepared. It took me a year or so to full appreciate it, but now it's in my top 3 as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
I'm in the minority that doesn't think Awake is the best thing since Jesus. Scarred and Voices are held in high regard by most fans but I think they're 1) way too long and 2) have some absolutely horrible vocal lines, with awkward cadences and James screaming wildly. Voices is awful in that aspect. But on the rest of the record James's voice is utterly brilliant, on every single song. Those two songs really drag it down for me, they're terrible.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Funny enough, I consider Voices one of their best songs ever, wonderfully and masterfully constructed, with perfect vocal lines.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
Hi RKW. I'd recommend Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory after you get Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence  :tup
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
Funny enough, I consider Voices one of their best songs ever, wonderfully and masterfully constructed, with perfect vocal lines.

My thoughts as well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »
Different opinions? On MY Internet? I'm shocked...  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline RKW

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering, there seems to be a kind of special edition for the Astonishing, is it worth it? Do you know what kind of extra content there is? Does it have a bigger booklet or something like that? Does it only exists for vinyl? I was doing some research and I'm a bit confused.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering, there seems to be a kind of special edition for the Astonishing, is it worth it? Do you know what kind of extra content there is? Does it have a bigger booklet or something like that? Does it only exists for vinyl? I was doing some research and I'm a bit confused.

Look up The Astonishing Limited Edition Box set on Google.  It shows you everything.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RKW

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »
Thanks! Well it doesn't look that interesting, I'll be fine with a regular digipak edition.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 12:42:41 AM »
I'm in the minority that doesn't think Awake is the best thing since Jesus. Scarred and Voices are held in high regard by most fans but I think they're 1) way too long and 2) have some absolutely horrible vocal lines, with awkward cadences and James screaming wildly. Voices is awful in that aspect. But on the rest of the record James's voice is utterly brilliant, on every single song. Those two songs really drag it down for me, they're terrible.

The 2 best songs on the album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »
Especially Scarred.  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 07:09:17 AM »
That is fake news.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »

Well, first of all, I don't think anybody thinks Awake is the best thing since Jesus.  It's just a really good album.  Secondly, "way too long" isn't in DT's vocabulary and I can't imagine not liking a song because of it's length.  It's either a good song or it isn't.  Thirdly, JLB screamed wildly a lot in his early days.  Whatever you do, don't listen to LATM.   :lol :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »

Well, first of all, I don't think anybody thinks Awake is the best thing since Jesus.  It's just a really good album.  Secondly, "way too long" isn't in DT's vocabulary and I can't imagine not liking a song because of it's length.  It's either a good song or it isn't.  Thirdly, JLB screamed wildly a lot in his early days.  Whatever you do, don't listen to LATM.   :lol :lol

I've been a fan for a decade and a half, I've heard LATM many times  :lol I'm obviously using hyperbole, but Awake is very well received by much of the DT fanbase. And yes, way too long is absolutely in their vocab, look at Train of Thought and Black Clouds and the song Ministry of Lost Souls ;) Songs can indeed go on way too long and, while this topic is a whole other beast suitable for another thread, I think lots of DT songs suffer from musical diarrhea - long instrumental wankfests shoved in their for no reason, like that part about 2 minutes into Lost Not Forgotten that comes out of nowhere.

But that's just my opinion.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
Well, not only yours  :D actually it's the only side of DT that I don't like, for the rest, I've always appreciated anything, regardless of the style or the genre of the songs. Which is good all things considered, there are bands that put out three albums in a row that suck (but not so bad to the point that you stop listening to them), the "worst" DT has ever done (according to my tastes of course) was just 3-4 minutes of wankfest here and there. There are bands that struggle to put out 3-4 minutes of awesome, mindblowing music per album  :D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »

I can see some problem with Voices. But Scarred? Nah. Scarred is a masterpiece. One of the best JLB vocal performances. The key to liking Scarred for me is to tie the music closely with the lyrics. The song is about somebody going through different emotions, and the music, particularly JLB's vocals, narrated the story well.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 09:35:30 PM »
SebastianPratesi: I'm from France, that's why I hope my english skills aren't too bad, because it is well-known that French people always fail at english! ::)
Hey, just like everyone said: your English is great. That said, if you want to keep improving on it, stick around! I'm from Argentina, and I joined the forum last year - chatting here has helped my English for sure. ;)

As for the music theory, I feel it is DT that will help me to get more into it! I already try to identify time signatures even though I still have no idea what it is most of the time. SoC is in 5/4 for the most part, I think?
That happened to me as well! When I discovered the band through Train of thought, a whole new world of odd-time signatures opened up to me. And yes, "Stream of consciousness" is in 5/4 in many sections. There is 3/4, 4/4 and 7/4 throughout as well.

One of the cool things I really like about DT is that, even when their songs are changing time signatures like crazy, it doesn't necessarily sound as crazy as it is until something like this makes you realize what is actually going on:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfWdOBYk6g4
Thanks for sharing that link, bosk - I had never watched that. That guy is so talented! Makes me remember what I tend to do while walking - I don't hum lyrics/melodies, I just make weird noises with my mouth to follow the beat in my mind.  :D

The education system I think, it is kinda terrible. I could not write nor read english that easily if it weren't for personal 'training', spending a lot of time reading on the Internet, reading books I love in English, understanding the lyrics of the songs, etc... Sure, I would know the basics (I hope) but it would be hard to think more complex sentences, written in a more fluid, personal way. I could never write such a long first post with just what we're taught in school! And I know that's this way for the most people in our country.
Thanks for mentioning that! I'm a (Mathematics) teacher/professor, so it's always cool to learn about the Education System in other places.

Six degrees and The Astonishing are among their best releases, so you're in for a treat over the next two months.
Nice to see some love for The Astonishing after a year! One of my favourite albums (ever, by anyone).  :heart

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »

I've been a fan for a decade and a half, I've heard LATM many times  :lol I'm obviously using hyperbole, but Awake is very well received by much of the DT fanbase. And yes, way too long is absolutely in their vocab, look at Train of Thought and Black Clouds and the song Ministry of Lost Souls ;) Songs can indeed go on way too long and, while this topic is a whole other beast suitable for another thread, I think lots of DT songs suffer from musical diarrhea - long instrumental wankfests shoved in their for no reason, like that part about 2 minutes into Lost Not Forgotten that comes out of nowhere.

But that's just my opinion.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

You took the bold part out of context.  I meant, no song is too long for DT.  That should go without saying.  Also, they don't put sections of songs in there for no reason.  There's a reason for all of it, regardless if fans like it or not.  You're right about one thing.  Talking about musical diarrhea is probably more suitable in the controversial opinions thread.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
Well of course there is SOME reason they put it in there, otherwise they... wouldn't have put it in there. I don't feel a need to punctuate every thought of mine with 'in my opinion.' :) But you're right, that thread is a good place to go...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
I agree on the fact that some songs are just long for the sake of being long. ANTR, for example, has great flow untill the soloing part, and then it has some random sections that go for too long, like the blast beat part  :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RKW

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2017, 06:00:58 AM »
So... I've got Six Degrees!

By now I had the time to listen to each song more or less 4-5 times so I still have a lot do discover but here are my general thoughts.

TGP is an awesome opener with a lot of cool stuff I still have to digest. Overall, I know the riffs are monstruous, there is one around 5 minutes I think which is re-used in TDS and the ending is really good.

BF has a kind of asiatic-sounding vibe in the beginning which greatly surprised me, in a good way! It is really catchy and the instrumental section sounds awesome, with a beautiful piano solo somewhere in. It doesn't feel long at all, I really enjoy it.

Misunderstood... is the weirdest. At first it feels very calm and soothing, then somehow it starts becoming more and more powerful in such a natural way, the vocal part which ends with "from a god to a God save me" gives me chills, or perhaps I should say, gave me literal chills yesterday when I listened to it walking in the cold of the street and started focusing on the lyrics which just resonated deep with me for a couple of minutes - a really unique experience. I still don't know what to think of that ending though.

TGD is the one I remember the less from, it still has to grow on me. But I remember that it felt really good upon the first listening, lasting for more than 13 minutes but still feeling very cohesive and with a unique sound to it. I think the spoken part works very well to emphasize the subject of the song.

Disappear still feels a bit "hollow" to me, it is a good song but it does not make me that sad despite having a haunting feeling. I think it will be a grower.

And then there is that massive 42-minute epic... I don't have the words to describe it. Right away from the Overture I knew I would love it. Each part is great and there are a lot of highlight moments, it never sounds boring nor far-fetched. It goes through happy moments as well as dramatic ones and feels like a huge symphony. All the instruments shine here with really great keyboard and guitar solos. It has a bit of everything DT is and it is constantly surprising until the end.

Overall, what strikes me the most is how experimental this one sounds compared to the others, I don't really know how to explain it. All the songs are completely unique and still they all flow together really well. Also, I think this is the record of all those that I have where Rudess has the most key role in it, he's really in the front spot most of the time, and I love that. He brought such a beautiful symphonic vibe on the SDOIT song.

Finally, I have a good feeling this may start being my favorite, even though my only worry is that I want to listen to it on repeat so much right now that I may eventually get tired of it - but I hope it won't be the case. Really, this albums sounds good from beginning to end and that's impressive. Only a few albums so far left me with a big smile on my face trying to remember everything, how great it was, astonished, wanting to listen to nothing else after it ended, right upon the first listening. This is one of them. It rocks!  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »
We've all been there RKW! It's nice to see new fans going through the different emotions we've all experienced back in the day. Many people thought what you though, especially of that outro to Misunderstood  :D

Glad that you like the album, I hope Disappear will grow on you because it's one of their most unique and heartfelt ballads!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »
The Misunderstood outro can be strange at first, but once you get used to it, you realize that it fits the song perfectly.  That might still be my favorite DT song of the 21st century.

For me, all of Disc 1 is great, except for The Great Debate (which is good, but the meat of the song is still a letdown after how awesome the intro is), and Disc 2 is good for what it is (a bunch of short songs stitched together, rather than a cohesive, well-flowing epic).

Offline RKW

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
I also hope Disappear will grow on me, time will tell!

For Misunderstood, that outro it is such a creative idea that I feel I will also love it with time. But I disagree about disc 2, for me it flows really well as an epic, only TTTSTA followed by Goodnight Kiss feels a bit disconnected, but it's no worse than Ressurection/Heretic for ITPOE which is also intended as one song despite being seperated into two tracks. The rest flows well. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 06:38:52 AM »
RKW, I'm so happy you're enjoying Six Degrees. That is my favorite Dream Theater record, and for good reason.

Disc 1 can be a daunting listen because of the long songs and ballads, but I also get chills at the "from a thief to a beggar, from a god to God save me" part - great lyrics. The Great Debate is a pretty divisive song because of its length and lyrical content, but I love it. It's a deeper cut that most DT fans don't talk about these days. Disappear gives me chills and sometimes makes my eyes water, and The Glass Prison is pretty much a universal favorite of DT fans. Glad you're liking them.

The title track... I remember being a kid playing computer games and listening to that song on repeat, all day long, for most of a summer. And it never got old. How about that guitar solo in Goodnight Kiss that leads into Solitary Shell? That's one of the three best Dream Theater guitar solos ever, in my opinion. That entire disc is incredible from start to finish, though. Just think, that album would never have turned out like that (or even be made at all) without Jordan. He really shines and proves his worth on that song. I absolutely love About to Crash... everything about it is perfect, and I also love About to Crash (Reprise) because of all the instrumental stuff going on in the second half.

Keep listening and keep having fun, dude.  :biggrin:  :metal

Offline RKW

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 06:56:49 AM »
The title track... I remember being a kid playing computer games and listening to that song on repeat, all day long, for most of a summer. And it never got old. How about that guitar solo in Goodnight Kiss that leads into Solitary Shell? That's one of the three best Dream Theater guitar solos ever, in my opinion.

I was thinking this may be my favorite solo of Petrucci so far! The one in About to Crash with just the drums is also awesome even though it is so simple. I also love the Reprise when it comes back with that incredible riff based on the piano you hear the first time, it feels so powerful!

For now, my favorite song of disc 1 may be Blind Faith, but only because this is the most directly catchy while the others are surely growers.

And yes, Jordan really did an impressive job here, just when I think of Overture, it is pure magic. But the sound of the album is also really good, I think the drums may also be at their best here.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »
Disappear still feels a bit "hollow" to me, it is a good song but it does not make me that sad despite having a haunting feeling. I think it will be a grower.

Disappear is one of the greatest songs about loss ever, by anyone.  One of my absolute favorite DT songs.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
SFAM might be my favorite, but I think SDOIT is DT's best album, love every bit of it :metal

And, you're right, without Jordan, this album would've never been as good as it is. I acually tend to prefer keyboard heavy DT albums (SFAM, SDOIT, TA, ADTOE, IAW) over the others.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Disappear is one of the greatest songs about loss ever, by anyone.

Absolutely and completely and totally 1001% precisely correct.

Offline Evai

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »
Man I hope Disappear finds its way back into DTs live set. On Budokan it was too fast and spoiled, but now with their click track to stay at a slow tempo, samples, and James' mature low voice, it'd be perfect
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.