Author Topic: My thoughts on DT so far...  (Read 12748 times)

Offline RKW

My thoughts on DT so far...
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
Okay,

so, first of all, I apologise if my english is sometimes wrong and I hope I won't make too many mistakes.

That being said, hello everyone, I'm new on DTF and I'd like to share with you my experience of DT so far 'cause I think that's a cool thing to do as a first post. Also because I have so many things to say about this amazing band even though I've only been listening to them for 4 months.

I've always listened A LOT to music ever since I discovered metal when I was around 7 years old I think. The first band I fell in love with was Sonata Arctica and I still love them to this day. Then slowly my love for the genre extended to Stratovarius, Nightwish, Edguy/Avantasia, Blind Guardian... These bands defined what made music so magic to me. So, as you can guess, I come more from a power metal background than from a prog one. At that time, the closest thing to prog I knew was maybe Stratovarius' 18-minute Elysium or some 'crazy' stuff on SA's Unia album.

Dream Theater was also a name I always knew, but somehow I was never really eager to listen to them. I looked at the covers of their albums, checked the songs' lengths and felt 'woah, these guys are something, I'll have to be ready in order to dig their music!'. I did try to listen to Octavarium (the song) twice in the past but I remember absolutely nothing of it other than that it sounded strange, damn long and confused.

Then one day I found Ayreon and when I learned that it was classified as prog but was also a project with various singers very much like Avantasia and that I already knew some of these singers, I said to myself 'this must be the time to slowly try getting in this famous prog metal!'. I listened to 01011001 and was mind-blown, albeit I had mixed feelings in the beginning because of the strange mixture of styles. But that really helped me to open my mind to another genre of music, which I now somehow consider as the logical extension of what I've always been listening to.

That was around 8 months ago I think, and when this summer I watched The Theater Equation incredible performance of James LaBrie (it's definitely something to check out) I knew that finally I had to get into Dream Theater. I listened once again to Octavarium and the song just felt sooooo different from the bits I remembered I could hardly believe it was the same thing. I don't know, suddenly it all made sense! Yes, it is long but it is really structured and the progression of it all feels so well-thought and it's like a huge logical emotional roller coaster, with a big build-up, one epic climax followed by its dramatic conclusion.

I then bought Train of Thought almost immediately, surely because it was the one I could get the fastest and because its dark cover with the distubring illuminati eye coupled with it being filled almost only with songs above 10 minutes promised an exciting experience. I knew from reviews it was not really an album that can sum up all of DT style since it's almost only on the heavy side of the thing, but damn I had looked up for this band for so long and was finally hooked it felt like the best start possible. No need to say the first listening blew me away even though it was a lot to take at once, but I knew right away after ITNOG ended with that last epic piano part from Rudess that I was going to love it.

So that's for the bit of history and now that I'm sure DT is my thing I'd like to share what I think of the 4 albums I've got so far and my general thoughts about the band.

- Train of Thought: A complete classic album from beginning to end, where you could almost say each new track is better than the previous one, or at least if feels that way at first when listened to as a whole. Very metallica-influenced (and I don't really like metallica) but with some wizardry only DT possesses that turns it into something else. Over-the-top, bombastic, epic prog metal (or maybe metal prog) with a very cohesive feeling to it. Favorite songs: TDS, ES, SoC (+Vacant), ITNOG.

- DT12: yep, the next one I listened to was DT12 because I went to a local metal music store and it was the only one they had I could afford (the other they had was SC but only the special edition so it was bit more expensive). Completely different from ToT, with a much mellower sound overall but also great in its own way. Also a logical progression throughout the album with IT summing up pretty much everything the record is about at the end, both musically and lyrically. A well-done mixture of fun and energy, sensibility, beauty, intensity. Really, a great great record which sounds 'mature' in spite of a better word. Favorite tracks: TEI, TBP, STR, IT.

- Systematic Chaos: so of course I went back and bought the special edition the next time. How should I descirbe this one? Hmm, I think the title speaks for itself in the end. I had a lot of trouble getting into it at first since every song is so different from each other (except for CM and TDEN which works well together as the heavy tandem but still they're isolated from the rest). But in the end it's also its strenght because I was constantly surprised when I discovered it. And I think dividing ITPOE into two parts was a wise choice because it feels really great when you listen to it as a whole to come back to the very first song in the end after having gone trough such a 'mess'. Favorite songs: ITPOE (full song), TMOLS, Repetance, then I love all of the rest equally (and I LIKE it!).

- Images and Words: I bought it next since it is almost unanimously considered as one of their best, if not the best. What surprised me the most was really that 90s vibe I was not expecting! I feel it is a great record as a whole and of course I had to love the most praised songs since they are not praised without reason but other than that it has still to grow on me. Pull me under is a fine song but I much prefer the verses and the pre-chorus melody to the rest of the song, the intro melody is good as well but maybe drags on for a bit too long and the riff are maybe too monotonous. I can understand why it is a classic song but it is far from being the epitome of what DT's music is. Favorite tracks: LTL (+Wait for sleep), Metropolis Pt. I, Surrounded.

So, from this I've noticed some characteristics which are part of why I love so far what I know of DT. First of all, each album is pretty unique and works very well on its own as a great experience from beginning to end. At the moment I love them all for different reasons and could not rank them whatsoever. Another thing is that they're all completely different, I'd even dare to say that each song I know so far is different and got its own distinctive aspects. The band's technique is of course impressive but what impresses even more is that they seem to ALWAYS have ideas, I guess they like to jam a lot! The only letdown could be that they do not hide their influences or that they sometimes tend to show-off a little to much in the songs but I don't even see how I could hold that against them when they turn everyhting into gold and create pure art. Plus, they seem so humble and down-to-earth you can't help but love them!

In the end, what matters to me the most is whether the music comes from the heart and is intense, whatever that may mean depending on the style, and I'm glad I've found that with DT. I know they are a controversial band since they've done so many things and some songs are almost opposites but I can't help but respect them deep down inside and be happy for everything they put out. I'm very confident I'm going to like almost everything from them (maybe WDADU aside!). I want to thank them for keeping on creating true music.

So, next I will get SDOIT which I have already ordered, now I just have to wait for it to be delivered. I'm expecting it to be epic, to explore the different aspects of their sound and that I will be completely blown away by the 42-minute self-titled song, maybe the best thing they've ever done or at least close to it. It sounds so promising I'm very excited! I also intend to get The Astonishing for Christmas since its their latest work and this huge, ambitious concept album that I am sure will not disappoint whatever the controversial opinions are once again. I'm very glad that a band that's starting to get old like them still puts that much effort into their music and wants to create a real experience from it. If the structure is well-done, who knows, it may even rise as being my favorite concept album (at the moment the title belong to Ayreon's Theory of Everything which I consider as an almost perfect record, look at my avatar!).

I've already written a lot but I'm pretty sure I've forgotten almost half of what I wanted to say originally, but anyway I think that's it.

Bottom line is: DT's got a new huge fan.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:40:39 PM by RKW »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: My thoughts on DT so far...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
Thanks for posting! That was a fun read. Bottom line: Just enjoy these guys while you can. They're a great group.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
Welcome to the forums! you know, being a long time DT fan sometimes I envy the newcomers, the feeling of discovering something new, fresh, and unique!

And after Six Degrees, may I suggest you to check out Scenes from a Memory? it's one of their universally acclaimed albums, and the whole disc is the sequel to Metropolis pt.1 off Images and Words; you may want to try that one as a concept before going into the "rock opera" experience that is The Astonishing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
Thanks for posting! That was a fun read. Bottom line: Just enjoy these guys while you can. They're a great group.

^This.

Welcome aboard.

Based on your tastes, I think you will like Six Degrees.  Technically speaking, it isn't a "concept album," although DT has always been a band that blurred the lines on things, and it isn't hard to understand why some consider it a concept album anyway.  But the songs are fantastic.  If you haven't noticed this already, This Dying Soul, The Root of All Evil, and Repentence are all connected and part of a suite of songs over five albums that go together.  The first song in the suite is on Six Degrees, and many people consider it a fan favorite.  In case you don't already know that, I will not spoil which song it is.  You will figure it out.  The last song is on Black Clouds and Silver linings. 

You have a lot of music to explore.  Have fun!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RKW

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  ;)

Yes I know about Portnoy's 12-step suite, in fact I already know almost all of the songs titles even though I still haven't listened to them since I've been 'looking up' (I hope that's the right word) for the band for a long time as I've already said! I expect TGP to be on the heavier side like TDS since Repetance is meant to be the 'breather' of the suite.

I intend to get SFAM sooner or later, whether that is before or after TA I can't tell at the moment, it will depend on how long I will be satisfied with 6DOIT alone, I guess! But of course I know it's one of their most acclaimed albums with I&W. I'll get it when I feel 'ready', I want to keep on cherishing the fact that I'm a newbie and that I've still a lot to discover!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
I intend to get SFAM sooner or later, whether that is before or after TA I can't tell at the moment, it will depend on how long I will be satisfied with 6DOIT alone, I guess! But of course I know it's one of their most acclaimed albums with I&W. I'll get it when I feel 'ready', I want to keep on cherishing the fact that I'm a newbie and that I've still a lot to discover!

I like this approach. Look like you "studied" and documented yourself on Dream Theater, what they do and which albums they have, and you're following your hunch and instict on where to go next; I've done this too in the past while discovering new artists, I'd say go for it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
Okay,

so, first of all, I apologise if my english is sometimes wrong and I hope I won't make too many mistakes.

Bottom line is: DT's got a new huge fan.
Hi and welcome, RKW! I just finished reading your post. I don't share some of your tastes (for instance, Train of thought is my least favourite album, eventhough I discovered the band throught it), but most of your opinions I agree with - especially about "Pull me under": I also think it's way overrated. I love the self-titled album too. :)

Where are you from?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:39 AM »
Welcome.

Epic first post!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RKW

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
MirrorMask: I feel that's the best way to go!

SebastianPratesi: I think TOT is a very demanding album since its 98% heavy but in the end it really is the epicness of the thing that blows me away. I mean, it's just so powerful! But who knows, maybe it will also be my least favorite with time and when I know everything? It could, but only time will tell. The same goes for DT12. As for now, I just love both! PMU feels kind of overrated yes, in my opinion it could have been better it was less repetitive and if the pre-chorus wasn't actually more enjoyable than the chorus itself.

I'm from France, that's why I hope my english skills aren't too bad, because it is well-known that French people always fail at english! ::)

Podaar: Thank you!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
Your English is great.

As far as loving Train of Thought, if you do, that's great.  If you browse any of the 100s of ranking threads, you will see that most fans rank it fairly low in the DT discography.  But when people talk about it, I think you'll find that most of them still like a lot of the songs themselves.  I know for me personally, I rank it in the bottom third or so.  But it's still a good fine album with some really good songs. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 12:51:02 PM »
What an epic introduction to the Dream Theater community. Welcome, friend, and thank you for sharing such a detailed story with us!

I've always listened A LOT to music ever since I discovered metal when I was around 7 years old I think. The first band I fell in love with was Sonata Arctica and I still love them to this day. Then slowly my love for the genre extended to Stratovarius, Nightwish, Edguy/Avantasia, Blind Guardian... These bands defined what made music so magic to me. So, as you can guess, I come more from a power metal background than from a prog one. At that time, the closest thing to prog I knew was maybe Stratovarius' 18-minute Elysium or some 'crazy' stuff on SA's Unia album.

The bands you list, apart from Nightwish, are among my all-time favorite bands *ever* and influenced me to become a pianist and dive into the deep world of music theory and composition. I totally understand where you're coming from (although I got into Dream Theater at the same time instead of later). I'm with you, those bands defined what made music magical to me as well, and still do. Stratovarius is the greatest band on the planet and I'll stick by that til the day I die :)

I hope you can get the other Dream Theater albums soon. I'm very curious to hear what your thoughts on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence will be. And Octavarium. You have a lot of magical 'firsts' ahead of you. I envy you - I miss the days when I heard Images & Words for the first time, or would play Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence on repeat for an entire day because it was fresh and blowing my mind.

Train of Thought really impressed me when I was getting into the band. As the years have passed, it's fallen out of favor with me, but I don't think there's a bad song on that album - I'm just never in the mood to listen to it. I remember the first time I heard the guitar solo in In The Name of God... jaw was on the floor.

And your English is fantastic. Don't worry about it. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RKW

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »
bosk1: Yeah I just can't tell where I would rank Train of Thought for the moment and since I know only 4 albums + 2 songs... Maybe I've got the feeling that I will slowly listen to it less and less as a whole album even though each song is great on its own, I don't know.

Kattelox: Actually, Nightwish is my least favorite of those bands. Oceanborn and Imaginaerum are really the two albums I absolutely love, DPP is the one that I feel is really great, and the others are kind of a mixed bag for me. But still, sometimes it is so good I could not not mention them.

You know what? They've also driven me to start learning the piano 2 years and a half ago. And I'm glad I did since I found I really love playing it, even more than what I expected. I also try writing music a bit but it's messy most of the time - you can check my musescore account if you want but it's not really great, let's say I lack experience in songwriting. As for the music theory, I feel it is DT that will help me to get more into it! I already try to identify time signatures even though I still have no idea what it is most of the time. SoC is in 5/4 for the most part, I think?

Stratovarius is really great, Elysium is by far my favorite song of theirs but the last album was kinda too safe for me, the songs are great but nothing new at all. I dig a lot the kind of more atmospheric stuff there is on Episode with songs like Season of Change (man, I just realized it is Change of seasons reversed :o).

I'm very excited for Six Degrees, sure I'll share my thoughts when I get it!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:18:03 PM by RKW »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
Welcome and this:

Welcome to the forums! you know, being a long time DT fan sometimes I envy the newcomers, the feeling of discovering something new, fresh, and unique!

Man that feeling I had when first discovering DT is definitely something I miss, the excitement of going through the backlog of music then discovering the live albums and all the different things they've done including the live covers.  So much music to go through and it's so good.  You'll have a good time experiencing this music for the first time  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
Those are my favorite Nightwish albums. Are you a younger version of me? The parallels are getting scary :lol

If you're really into learning music, Dream Theater will totally help you get familiar with odd meters like 5/4 and 7/8 and all that good stuff. You'll get a feel for it the more you get into the music. I love the songs that are in odd time but don't actually sound like it (Solitary Shell on Six Degrees instantly comes to mind - it's in 7/4 for the first few minutes but it almost feels like a standard 4/4 song).

I wonder if this is the same feeling others had while I was falling in love with Fates Warning a couple weeks ago, or now, while I'm finally getting into Rush. The feeling of discovery, even if the band has been around a long time - it's always going to be new for someone, and it's always a joy watching someone else become a big fan of something you adore.

(Would also enjoy hearing your thoughts on various power metal bands in the general music section!)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline RKW

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 01:23:38 PM »
We can talk about some power metal in the appropriate section if you want! (I just realised it's written Child of the Wild under your avatar, huh?).

Odd time signatures sure can be awesome, but it's so hard to identify them if your ears aren't trained, and I guess mine still need a lot of training! I know DT will help.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
One of the cool things I really like about DT is that, even when their songs are changing time signatures like crazy, it doesn't necessarily sound as crazy as it is until something like this makes you realize what is actually going on:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfWdOBYk6g4

Offline RKW

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
Wait, did the guy in the video just say there's 63 time changes in LTL??

:metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »
If you think that's bad, watch that guy's video beatboxing to Dance of Eternity.  I get winded just watching. :lol

Offline RKW

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
Learning to live is just one of their 10-minute songs that flows so well it's scary there's so many time changes because it's almost unnoticable!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »
You know what? They've also driven me to start learning the piano 2 years and a half ago. And I'm glad I did since I found I really love playing it, even more than what I expected. I also try writing music a bit but it's messy most of the time - you can check my musescore account if you want but it's not really great, let's say I lack experience in songwriting. As for the music theory, I feel it is DT that will help me to get more into it! I already try to identify time signatures even though I still have no idea what it is most of the time. SoC is in 5/4 for the most part, I think?
Welcome!

For SoC check out this video of Mike showing the different time changes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwkcRTNMsWs

Offline don_waka

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Wow, you sound a lot like a former student of mine. The way you started off with DT, the power-metal background, the Ayreon thing, etc. But you're French so nope :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
Welcome to DTF and the wonderful world of DT music, RKW! I remember listening to my first DT album (my first prog album too), it was SFAM. I was BLOWN AWAY by it! A friend of mine made me listen to it around late 2009 (I was 14 at the time), and liked it so much I listened to the whole catalog over the next months/years. I'm a big fan ever since!

I think you'll like SDOIT a lot. To me, SFAM and SDOIT are the peak in the DT songwriting. SFAM is still my favorite, but I think SDOIT could be their best. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »
One of the best things about being here is that it is fun saying "gzarruk" out loud over and over again.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »
One of the best things about being here is that it is fun saying "gzarruk" out loud over and over again.

:lol how do you say it? It's taken from my name, Gabriel (that's astonishing) Zarruk  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »
:biggrin:  Gǝ (like in “guppy”) – Zarick (like Tom Zerek from Battlestar Galactica).  I know that probably isn't right.  But it's fun to say that way.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
Try saying it when you burp. It's even funnier.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 03:59:57 PM »
I'm from France, that's why I hope my english skills aren't too bad, because it is well-known that French people always fail at english! ::)
Yeah, what's up with that? Is that a pride thing? Or is the education system bad?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
So, next I will get SDOIT which I have already ordered, now I just have to wait for it to be delivered. I'm expecting it to be epic, to explore the different aspects of their sound and that I will be completely blown away by the 42-minute self-titled song, maybe the best thing they've ever done or at least close to it.

It's epic in every way possible and absolutely the best thing they've ever done.  You nailed it!  Enjoy.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RKW

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 03:12:56 AM »
Yeah, what's up with that? Is that a pride thing? Or is the education system bad?

The education system I think, it is kinda terrible. I could not write nor read english that easily if it weren't for personal 'training', spending a lot of time reading on the Internet, reading books I love in English, understanding the lyrics of the songs, etc... Sure, I would know the basics (I hope) but it would be hard to think more complex sentences, written in a more fluid, personal way. I could never write such a long first post with just what we're taught in school! And I know that's this way for the most people in our country.

So, next I will get SDOIT which I have already ordered, now I just have to wait for it to be delivered. I'm expecting it to be epic, to explore the different aspects of their sound and that I will be completely blown away by the 42-minute self-titled song, maybe the best thing they've ever done or at least close to it.

It's epic in every way possible and absolutely the best thing they've ever done.  You nailed it!  Enjoy.  :tup

Now, I really can't wait!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 03:15:40 AM »
Reading lyrics is how I (an italian, one of the worse offenders when it comes to not knowing english) is how I got skilled in the language as well.

School didn't teach me english, Steve Harris did  :metal

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 03:30:34 AM »
Well Hello then, nice first post! Don't worry about Your english which is great btw ;) I have always problems with expressing myself here in english too, and I tend to use very often the same words ;) but I think it doesn't matter here, DTF community is fantastic :) And, about Your DT adventure - I hope You will like Six Degrees, and have You heard Scenes From A Memory? Perfect album, in every bit. Try it, You'll love it :)

Offline RKW

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »
Thank you! Yes, DTF seems fantastic, english is no excuse I guess!

As I have already said about SFAM:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Welcome!!

While I don't genuflect to the song 6DOIT like others do (it feels like a bunch of separate songs rather than a single whole), it is still a fun suite. And Disc 1 is mostly stellar.

Awake is the real motherlode.  That one should really blow your doors off.  :metal :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »
While I don't genuflect to the song 6DOIT like others do (it feels like a bunch of separate songs rather than a single whole), it is still a fun suite. And Disc 1 is mostly stellar.

I agree. To me, disc 1 is much better than disc 2... and disc 2 is amazing  :metal

Offline RKW

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 02:35:08 AM »
Welcome!!

Awake is the real motherlode.  That one should really blow your doors off.  :metal :metal

It sure seems so long that I can understand it could feel kind of disconnected... I'll remember to tell how I feel about that in my first impressions.

Awake is an interesting recommandation, I really like the cover for that one.