Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21935 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Those New Tour Songs!
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:26:54 AM »
So, it has been recently brought to my attention (I believe it was 35 seconds ago) that the band has gone for a minor and yet completely unexpected shakeup of the setlist for the US leg of the IAW and beyond tour.

Replacing the Astonishing mini-set, two more songs heavily associated with Images And Words have been played: To Live Forever and Don't Look Past Me.

For those who wonder, TLF has been played once (19/07/2012) in the last 13 years, and I believe less than 20 times since 1993, when it was a staple of the latter half of the original IAW tour. As many of you will know, the song, despite being written in 1988 when CD was still in the band, was slated to appear on IAW and served as the testing ground for the singer auditions in 1989-1990. Eventually the song was set aside when the label's request to write more approachable songs in mid-1991 resulted in Another Day and Surrounded. TLF was however, as said, heavily featured in the following tour and ended up being officially released as a B-Side in the Awake era.

For the first couple years of its existence, Don't Look Past Me fate was inextricably linked to that of To Live Forever. It was too written in the early stages of the pre-IAW wilderness years (I believe early 1990, approximately at the same time Take The Time and Under A Glass Moon were being conceived, and substantially after Metropolis and Learning To Live had been shaped into a coherent form) and just like To Live Forever was used heavily in the auditions. For this reason just like TLF and A Change Of Seasons, several version of this songs being sung by various vocalists exist and to this day float around the darkest and least explored corners of youtube. Don't Look Past Me shared TLF's fate of being shelved in favour of AD and Surrounded, but unlike the Petrucci penned song, it was never to receive the warm touch of the limelight or the soaring roar of the crowds.
It is to this date, or I should say, was up to yesterday, the oldest song composed under the name Dream Theater to never have been played, and, since the debut of Space Dye Vest in 2014, the only set of lyrics by Kevin Moore to have suffered that fate.

Personally, it's a song that I have always loved to bits, and that still frequently listen when in need of uplifting notes. It's a wonder how it was ignored for so long. I guess it has to do with the extremely complicated backing vocal line. But still, I'm very happy about, although unfortunately being a citizen of the Old World I didn't get to see it played. I'll be on the lookout for audience videos on youtube!

So, did you know about this song? Are you happy with the choice of dusting out a 7-minute long obscure song from their early catalogue? Would you have liked that slot to be occupied by something else? That's the place to discuss it!

P.S. More of a TLDR, really:
- Astonishing songs in setlist phased out, To Live Forever and Don't Look Past Me phased in
- Both were supposed to end up on IAW, were put aside in favour of AD and Surrounded
- DLPM has never been played before
- Happy about this?

P.P.S. First post in such a long time! How are you all doing? :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:40:30 AM by Nick »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online MirrorMask

Re: Don't Look Past Those Songs!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 04:15:21 AM »
OMG THEY PLAYED DON'T LOOK PAST ME?? :o :o :o  :metal

I love the song, it's a pity that they entirely sacrificed The Astonishing for that but holy cow, what a wonderful treat it must have been!!! I would have loved to hear it, and probably sang it all the way through.  Awesome song, and perfectly in style with I5W.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:29:48 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:11:07 AM »
I'm glad JP finally brought it out. I've mentioned it to him in the past as one of the few songs to never have been played.

I think all that leaves now is Raw Dog.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:31:48 AM »
- Marco

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:35:37 AM »
I'll be disappointed if they replace The Astonishing songs for the US leg of the tour..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:22 AM »
That is great to hear! The band continues to give especially special treats to the fans at live shows.  :hat

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
That is great to hear! The band continues to give especially special treats to the fans at live shows.  :hat

This! I would prefer they keep The Astonishing mini set, since I love it and I'm not overly fond of DLPM and TLF (although I know them well), but I love when they make changes and play rarities and obscure songs.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »
First video of the song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZsmhg3K_Yc
Somebody named it Speak to me on YouTube.  ;D

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
I'm glad JP finally brought it out. I've mentioned it to him in the past as one of the few songs to never have been played.

I do believe theres two more thats never been performed live: Best of Times and Surrender to Reason.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:34 AM »
Surrender to Reason sooner or later will be played. The Best of Times? probably never.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
So, I believe now the mantle of the "song-that-has-not-been-played-for-the-longest-time" has been passed onto Eve (last performance 29.12.1998). Here's hoping for that precious gem to make a live return as well, sooner better than later. :)

Also, notice how the backing vocals (one of the main features of DLPM) have been completely scrapped in the live rendition. It does take something from the song, to be honest.
- Marco

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 07:34:01 AM »
I was thinking about those, I thought that maybe they would pipe them in.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
I've always known about Don't look past me but was never interested enough to listen to it. I've always thought of it as a raw demo version of a song that probably wasn't worth listening to if the band didn't think it was good enough to be on the album.

However, seeing a super obscure song being played live is exciting, no matter which one it is. I'm looking forward to some better clips that might surface over the next few months. Did JLB introduce the song? Was there any word about it?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 07:42:36 AM »
Awesome changes to the set.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »
Everyone whose seen Don't Look Past Me live, raise their hand....

*raises hand*

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 08:06:18 AM »
:getoffmylawn:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 08:09:03 AM »
Hey, I get to enjoy it for about 14 hours...

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Got to be said those Astonishing songs stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of that first set. Not the choices I'd have gone for, but they fit in to the I&W theme, so I approve heartily!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
That's cool that DLPM is being played. That's a good tune.

Honestly, for me, I've always thought that TLF is one of their worst songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 08:44:20 AM »
Really excited they worked these into the setlist.  Totally fit the theme of the show, although I'd rather them keep TA songs and drop TDEN personally.  I'll be seeing this show twice in a few weeks  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
JP mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was thinking about doing this.  Or rather, he asked me what I thought the reaction would be if they decided to.  Obviously, my response was along the lines of:  "DO IT!!!!"

I have been dying to let you guys know that they were thinking about doing it, but I obviously couldn't say anything.  Really glad they did this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
JP mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was thinking about doing this.  Or rather, he asked me what I thought the reaction would be if they decided to.  Obviously, my response was along the lines of:  "DO IT!!!!"

Excellent move  :tup ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »

Agreed.  I know you hinted about the setlist change, but I certainly wasn't thinking this.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »

Agreed.  I know you hinted about the setlist change, but I certainly wasn't thinking this.

Ditto. This is really cool, some great rarities. Can't wait for the Pittsburgh show!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
And just an FYI:  Those were the ONLY two songs he talked about adding, so it's not like they had 3 or 4 that he asked me about, and whittled it down to those two.  Under the circumstances, I think those were excellent choices for this tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
I hate myself so much for not having a ticket for the LA show tonight. I've always adored that song. I may have even shed a fucking tear while watching that video.

IF I had bought a ticket, I would have not spoiled the setlist for myself, and then probably legit cry when they broke into it.

(I don't have a problem..)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
:lol  I really wish I could attend one of these shows.  The scheduling was REALLY unfortunate for me, and I just can't find a way to make any of these shows work.  I was even thinking about driving down to L.A. for tonight, but can't.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
I spent so long trying not to spoil the set and then I clicked on this thread...  :yeahright

Can't wait to hear the crowd reaction to those being played.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
I spent so long trying not to spoil the set and then I clicked on this thread...  :yeahright

Can't wait to hear the crowd reaction to those being played.

My apologies, I should have been more thoughtful in my choice of title. It is known I can hardly resist a pun.  :-\
- Marco

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
It's okay, honestly I thought they would just fill out the set with Spirit Carries On and some other predictable tunes, but it's no big deal :) I didn't even catch the pun until I read the post  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
I'm changing the thread title on this. You're of course able to talk about spoilers here, but just don't want those who might be browsing the main site or DT forum to get a dose of the spoiler if they are avoiding it. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »

I have been dying to let you guys know that they were thinking about doing it, but I obviously couldn't say anything.  Really glad they did this.

Oh. So you're to blame? :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

Ditto. This is really cool, some great rarities. Can't wait for the Pittsburgh show!

This is astonishing (obvious pun), Bosk!  :hefdaddy

I do believe theres two more thats never been performed live: Best of Times and Surrender to Reason.

Indeed, the only DT songs they haven't played live untill now are TBOT, Raw Dog and Surrender to Reason. Hopefully, they'll play STR on the next tour.

So, I believe now the mantle of the "song-that-has-not-been-played-for-the-longest-time" has been passed onto Eve (last performance 29.12.1998). Here's hoping for that precious gem to make a live return as well, sooner better than later. :)

Would love it if they replaced Hell's Kitchen with Eve, but I don't think it'll happen.
IIRC, when the band did a live Q&A around the time DT12 was released, somebody asked Jordan why Eve and Anna Lee (songs played by the previous two keyboardists) have never been played during all his time as a member of DT. He answered, with some sarcasm, something along the lines of "There must be a reason neither song has been played for all these years, don't you think?".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
I'd love Anna Lee live, but I could live without Eve.  I know people here love it, but I find it fairly boring and certainly not a song I really want to see live over the rest of DT's catalogue.  I know people feel the same about Anna Lee too.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
Great to hear, and now I'm even more sad they are not coming to Seattle.