Author Topic: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad? (completed)  (Read 31266 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yes, you read the title correctly.

I am an album listener. 90%+ of my music listening is albums, rather than individual songs. I've done roulettes in the past (quite a while ago) and got a lot out of them, but so often a song I really liked didn't transpire into a good album, or I later discovered that a song I wasn't hot on turned out to be from a great album. As a roulette participant back in the day, I also often struggled with which song to send by a band, or from an album, when the album as a whole was what I loved. If you've ever felt the same way then this is the roulette for you.

"ARE YOU MAD?" I hear you ask. No, I'm not. But then I would say that whether I was or wasn't. Hmm. But ultimately, the reason I think this is doable is that I normally get a lot of time to listen to music. I have an hour-long commute each way to and from work, and I get to do quite a lot of listening while at work too. My last.fm tells me that I've listened to 20 hours of music in the last week, which feels about average, but I can often listen to a fair bit more than that even.

RULES:
  • Submissions will be whole albums (which can include EPs), and should be sent to me by PM.
  • Maximum length equivalent to a single CD (79 minutes ish) and there is no minimum length. Albums that come on 2 discs but would fit on 1 are therefore allowed. TIP: I have no particular preference for longer or shorter albums, though albums that don't have much variety of tone or style tend to be better if they're not too long IMO.
  • Do not submit any albums I've rated in my RYM profile: https://rateyourmusic.com/~ariich (scroll down to the "music" section and you can use the "ratings" tab to see what I've rated, or use the "Search ariich's music for" bar to see if something you're thinking of is already in my list). In addition, don't send anything by a band that I've rated 3 times or more, even if I haven't rated that particular album. Basically, If it's an album that I haven't rated, by a band or artist I've rated only 1 or 2 other albums by (or none, obviously), it's cool.
  • Not a rule as such, but a guideline: Albums submitted should ideally be available on a legal streaming platform of some kind. I have a Spotify subscription, so that's best as I can sync for offline listening, but other places such as bandcamp are also acceptable. You can always just tell me what the album is, and I'll see if I can stream it from somewhere - better to have your preferred submission than whatever happens to be on Spotify.
  • One participant will be eliminated each round. The first round will be simple, lowest score (rating/10) loses. After this, previous scores will be factored in. I appreciate form and consistency. :P

PARTICIPANTS:
  • jingle
  • lonestar
  • Parama
  • Elite
  • Nekov
  • Evermind
  • Stadler
Thanks to those who expressed interest but didn't make it in - if I do one again in future (dependent entirely on the success of this one) you'll get first dibs if you want.

REST OF ORIGINAL POST:

So, here are my thoughts on how I plan to run this:
  • I will have 5-6 participants only (come on, I want to occasionally listen to some of my own music too).
  • Submissions will be whole albums, with a time limit equivalent to a single CD (79 minutes ish). I'm doing it that way so that albums that come on 2-discs but would fit on 1 are allowed.
  • The 2,500 albums I've listened to enough at some point to rate can be seen in my RYM profile: https://rateyourmusic.com/~ariich (scroll down to the "music" section and you can use the "ratings" tab to see what I've rated, or use the "Search ariich's music for" bar to see if something you're thinking of is already in my list). Anything I've rated is not allowed. Anything by a band that I've rated three times or more is not allowed. If it's an album that I haven't rated, by a band or artist I've rated only one or two other albums by (or none, obviously), that's allowed.
  • Albums submitted should ideally be available on a legal streaming platform of some kind. I have a Spotify subscription, so that's best as I can sync for offline listening, but other places such as bandcamp are also acceptable. You can always just tell me what the album is, and I'll see if I can stream it from somewhere.
  • I will commit to listening to every album an absolute minimum of twice, though I should normally be able to listen three or more times. If I'm really not finding myself at all interested after two listens, then even I have time I reserve the right to give up on it. The ease of streaming platform may also affect the number of listens.
  • Rounds should last roughly a week, and there won't be loads of them. As participants are eliminated, we may get through rounds quicker.

I think those are the key points. What I need from you lovely people now are:

1. Expressions of interest! I've had two already from the main roulette thread (jingle and lonestar), so I'm looking for 3-4 more. If loads of people are keen, I might do a mix of selection and lottery. ;) EDIT: Actually sod it, I don't want to turn people down by random luck so I've done first-come-first-serve instead, and places are now full!

2. Thoughts on the above processes, rules, etc. and whether you think there's anything I've missed that would help this work smoothly. Once we're good to go, I'll turn that into a more coherent set of rules.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:02:24 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
Hey, I expressed interest too  :P
Looking at your rym 5* and 4.5* albums i think we'd get along, too, pleasantly surprised to see dissona in there for one (and beggars as a 5* album too  :heart)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
Hey, I expressed interest too  :P
Ah! I misunderstood that as support for the idea, rather than interest in taking part. Great!

Looking at your rym 5* and 4.5* albums i think we'd get along, too, pleasantly surprised to see dissona in there for one (and beggars as a 5* album too  :heart)
Paleopneumatic is so great, despite its ridiculous title. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
Is there an easier way than to have to scroll through 100 pages of ratings?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »
I added ariich as a friend so I can compare albums and see what I have that's banned, personally

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

There's a search function on the page, in the center right over the ratings/collection/reviews/etc.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
Well, I really doubt there are lots of bands that I know of that you haven't listened to but what the hell sign me up
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
Wow! If you'll have me, I'll try not to disappoint.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
In. I gotta have five albums from the pre-Rich LO days you didn't get a taste of.

Edit: Just searched five albums off the top of my head, and none were on your list. I'm so in bro...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »

There's a search function on the page, in the center right over the ratings/collection/reviews/etc.
This, if you want to search for particular bands.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »
I just went through your list of bands and there's a couple of things that are not in there that I think you'll like so I'm much more confident now. Also, in case you want to cut people just remember I introduced you to VHB  ::)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »
I guess I can do this, if you'll have me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »
I sent a PM; I'm in if you have spots. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
I think maybe let's stop it there - good to be getting so much interest so quickly, and I don't really feel like running a lottery and having to turn people down!

So participants are:

jingle
lonestar
Parama
Elite
Nekov
Evermind
Stadler

That's 7, when my original max was going to 6. However, I was going to have no eliminations in the first round (so everyone had a chance for two goes) whereas now it'll be lowest score goes in the first round! And I should have a decent amount of time for listening over the next week.

I'll amend the first post to get rules and stuff sorted, and then we'll start!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
Phew... this thread moved fast!  Glad I caught you in the general roulette thread earlier.  I like this list of participants... good diverse bunch.

So, is it like RJ's, and one participant will be eliminated each round?  You weren't explicitly clear on that - just double checking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
I wanted to get in on this but it seems like you've covered quite a few albums I love and I wouldn't have too much to bring to the table. There are a few I don't see on there, mostly in the power/symphonic metal realms, but someday I think you'd be interested in checking them out given you have 2500 ratings, seems like you'd be open. I think it's cool you're doing full albums. Good luck.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
Am I too late for this? I've checked out your last.fm before and I think we have some similar tastes. I'd love to join but understand if you've hit your max. Is it you who also likes Frank Turner? I know someone else on the forum is a big fan (not that I'll be planning to send anything like Frank tbh).

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
Ok OP has been edited with rules etc (which I think answers your question, Chad).

Also to say thanks to those who wanted to participate but were unfortunate not to be around in time (@twosuits: Yep, that's me who loves Frank Turner) - if I do another one of these then you'll get first dibs on participating if you want to.

So with all that sorted, time for...

ROUND ONE

We'll start simple, as all the best roulettes do. Send me any album within the rules in the OP. Preferably, make it good. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
Sent.

All you suckas might as well quit now...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »
how do you feel about me sending a zip file of the albums? a fair number of albums i have in mind for this all have tracks that run into each other and even the tiny pauses between tracks on streaming platforms could kill the flow imo

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Following!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
Following!

Yeah, me too. I couldn't figure out the banned list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »
I was in Rich's first.  I figured he wanted new blood.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »
Man I wish I was in this. Will be cool to follow.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Me too. :)  Seems like it'll be interesting.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »
Sent. I'll just sit back and relax

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 10:09:15 PM »
sent but if you really want me to send a spotufy playlist and have an inferior listening experience i can send that as well
i'm just way more inclined to send files in general, especially for albums

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
Sent.  See ya'll next round.  Well, most ... not *all* of you.

Sent. I'll just sit back and relax

I'll join ya

:hifive:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
jingle talkin' about how he won't see anyone still in the roulette after this round, 'cause he'll be back in the audience  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »
jingle talkin' about how he won't see anyone still in the roulette after this round, 'cause he'll be back in the audience  :corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 11:58:20 PM »
:lol I'll post cryptic updates as I'm listening to stuff so that you guys don't have to wait around for a week with nothing happening.

In terms of submissions, I'm fine with mp3 submissions if it's not available to stream anywhere - I won't keep the files after the roulette, and if I like any albums enough to want to keep them, I'll buy myself a copy (only fair after all!). In your case Parama, the album is actually on Spotify, which is slightly easier for me. And for future ref, I actually get better (more consistent) gapless playback on Spotify than in mp3s.

I've got 4 submissions in out of 7 - nice punctual start and plenty to be getting on with!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 12:01:48 AM »
fair enough then!
off the top of my head i have three or four other albums not on your list lined up and each and every one of them has songs transitioning directly into each other so i think that says something about the kind of album i like

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 01:00:10 AM »
LET'S HOPE YOU MAKE IT TO ROUND TWO THEN HUH?

Other rounds will have themes, but hopefully some of those albums will fit.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 01:00:56 AM »
considering how good the album i sent is, i will be making it to round 2, obviously

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
Sent!

There's no way I'm getting eliminated with this album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.