Author Topic: Sherinian: "I'm primarily responsible for" Hell's Kitchen and Lines in the Sand  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I never knew Derek was responsible for those songs, but that's pretty cool if it's the case!  Personally, those are my two favorite songs from Falling Into Infinity, and he's right -- they have held up really well over time.  He says it at the link below starting at the 9:05 mark. 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBTtNieuzM&t=626s
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:18:44 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Hell's Kitchen is great!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He's also primarily responsible for turning me off to Sons Of Apollo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

:rollin

But, seriously, me too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ChuckSteak

A pity you can't separate the music from the musicians. This is like the people who can't enjoy Neal Morse simply because he's Christian and writes religious lyrics sometimes. You don't have to like the person to enjoy the music. I don't like Steven Wilson, but I enjoy his music.

But well.. your loss.

Offline gzarruk

A pity you can't separate the music from the musicians. This is like the people who can't enjoy Neal Morse simply because he's Christian and writes religious lyrics sometimes. You don't have to like the person to enjoy the music. I don't like Steven Wilson, but I enjoy his music.

But well.. your loss.

I've listened to the album quite a few times, believe me, it's not too much of a loss  :biggrin:

Back on topic, though, I think Derek's best moment on FII isn't either HK or LITS, but THAT solo on Trial of Tears. It just gives me the chills. Every time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

There's plenty of fantastic performances by Derek on Falling into infinity. Even though the album is my least favorite release by Dream Theater, it was never Sherinian's fault. He did a great job on it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:17:35 AM by Mladen »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

There's plenty of fantastic performances by Derek on Falling into infinity. Even though the album is my least favorite release by Dream Theater, it was never Sherinian's faul. He did a great job on it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Sycsa

But well.. your loss.
The thing with religious lyrics (as with any other lyrics), if it sounds bad to you, if it makes you cringe, there's not much you can do about it. I'm not too familiar with Neal's work, but I can totally understand people who are ticked off by overly religious themes. I don't ever listen to DT's The Great Debate, because the lyrics come off to me as preachy and pretentious, and are a detriment to the song overall.

Dissing Neal just because he's a Christian would be an entirely different story though, and I don't think that many people boycott his music based on his religious views alone (not accounting for anything else, such as lyrics). I think that's a bit of a straw man, although someone in the GMD just stated that they won't buy anything Billy Sheehan-related on account of him being a Scientologist.

Still, it would be quite hard to completely separate the music from the musician. Taking it to the extreme, could you thoroughly enjoy a neo-Nazi punk band, just because they have some cool guitar playing going on?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mladen

Still, it would be quite hard to completely separate the music from the musician. Taking it to the extreme, could you thoroughly enjoy a neo-Nazi punk band, just because they have some cool guitar playing going on?
This is an interesting point. I've never though about it, most likely because I never came across a band that takes things so extreme. Such bands probably wouldn't be musically in my ballpark either.

There are rare occasions where lyrics influence my disliking of a song. Some of the tracks on Queensryche's Dedicated to chaos would be good examples of that. How can I enjoy a song that talks about "pictures on YouTube"? Every time I hear that, I cringe, even though the music is great.

Offline mikeyd23

No offense to DS, but I find it hard to believe he is primarily responsible for both those songs. Maybe he contributed to the writing of them, but I think primarily responsible seems like a bit of a stretch. I'd be more inclined to think he's primarily responsible for a song like Anna Lee.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

But well.. your loss.
The thing with religious lyrics (as with any other lyrics), if it sounds bad to you, if it makes you cringe, there's not much you can do about it. I'm not too familiar with Neal's work, but I can totally understand people who are ticked off by overly religious themes. I don't ever listen to DT's The Great Debate, because the lyrics come off to me as preachy and pretentious, and are a detriment to the song overall.

Dissing Neal just because he's a Christian would be an entirely different story though, and I don't think that many people boycott his music based on his religious views alone (not accounting for anything else, such as lyrics). I think that's a bit of a straw man, although someone in the GMD just stated that they won't buy anything Billy Sheehan-related on account of him being a Scientologist.

I think the "sometimes" part here is a bit stretching reality. Neal *predominantly* writes religious lyrics, even in his side projects (e.g. Whirlwind). If you know they will rub you the wrong way, there's no point in trying over and over again.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
The religious lyrics/Neal Morse thing is a terrible comparison and we could be here all day and week and month talking about why. Religious lyrics ain't my bag, therefore it's a massive turnoff whenever I try to listen to him, because that's all he fucking sings about. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, I hate religious lyrics, even if the music rules I don't want to hear the Jesus talk.

Hell's Kitchen is pretty dope. I dunno if I'd say Lines In The Sand has 'aged' well, it's a cool song, but it's way too damn long. Hollow Years, Hell's Kitchen, and Trial are the best things on that album. Although I'm in the minority of DT fans it seems, I don't think the demos are better than the finished product.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Lines IN The Sand will always be one of my favorite DT songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

FII is my least favorite DT album and part of that is due to the keyboard sound, especially in the solos. DS has much better sounds on SOA, plus the use of the Hammond is nice..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

Hell's Kitchen is pretty dope. I dunno if I'd say Lines In The Sand has 'aged' well, it's a cool song, but it's way too damn long. Hollow Years, Hell's Kitchen, and Trial are the best things on that album. Although I'm in the minority of DT fans it seems, I don't think the demos are better than the finished product.

I agree on the demos vs finished product line.

Also, I never got all the hype about LITS either. I mean, it's a cool song, but it's nowhere near the best DT songs, and, aside from that incredible JP solo, it's not much of a big deal. That keyboard intro is probably the most overrated keyboard part on the DT catalog, and Doug Pinnick ruins the chorus, imo.
Trial of Tears is a much better song on every aspect (to me).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
^^ +1 on all counts except Doug - I actually don't mind him :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Drinktheater

^^ +1 on all counts except Doug - I actually don't mind him :)

I don't know but I listen to LITS because of Doug. Seriously I like his backing vocals there gives it some variety.
And she listens openly

Offline DougMasters

But well.. your loss.
The thing with religious lyrics (as with any other lyrics), if it sounds bad to you, if it makes you cringe, there's not much you can do about it.

So true,

I love Skin's voice, but I cannot stand the overly thick political tone in her lyrics, not that there is anything wrong with being political but I'm usually going to music for the sake of escaping that kinda stuff. And hers are just so much so, I can't listen. Makes me cringe.

Offline ChuckSteak

If the music is good, I could enjoy it. I don't have to agree with the band's ideologies and attitudes. I can find it completely disgusting, unacceptable. But it wouldn't affect on how I rate the music.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:48:16 PM by ChuckSteak »

Offline ChuckSteak

The religious lyrics/Neal Morse thing is a terrible comparison and we could be here all day and week and month talking about why. Religious lyrics ain't my bag, therefore it's a massive turnoff whenever I try to listen to him, because that's all he fucking sings about. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, I hate religious lyrics, even if the music rules I don't want to hear the Jesus talk.
I don't think it is a terrible comparison. Some people don't listen to the SoA record because of what MP and DS say on social media. Some people don't listen to Roger Waters because of the political content. Some people don't listen to Neal Morse because of the religious lyrics.

In my view, although slightly different, I think all those above fit the same pattern. In the case of SoA, the music they wrote has absolutely nothing to do with how they act on social media. The music is neutral. It is a collection of organized sounds. You don't have to love the guys who wrote it or agree with them, but you can enjoy the music.

And it is always up to you to feel personally offended/attacked when someone talks shit about your favorite band.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
HK is mostly guitar work, so it would seem that JP was primarily responsible for that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

HK is mostly guitar work, so it would seem that JP was primarily responsible for that.

Supposedly, Derek came up with the intro (those soft keyboard chords) and it developed from that, but that's definitely not the entire track.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I do love those opening keys, though. Mmmm.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Then Jordan Rudess made it more better by adding Tubular Bells to the end on Instrumedley. Too bad he doesn't do them now on the tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SjundeInseglet

Supposedly, Derek came up with the intro (those soft keyboard chords) and it developed from that, but that's definitely not the entire track.

Yes, that was about it (judging by this video that Derek himself made a while back: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIa1ckYqEI). He came up with a few key bits in both songs but I wouldn't say he was primarily responsible for those songs. On top of that, JP's achingly beatiful and lyrical solo is what makes "Lines In The Sand" and we all know Derek had nothing to do with it.

Offline nattmorker

Then Jordan Rudess made it more better by adding Tubular Bells to the end on Instrumedley. Too bad he doesn't do them now on the tour.

I really really loved that ending. The Instrumedley was, along with Endless Sacrifice, the first songs I heard and liked from DT. So the first time I heard HK, I was kind of dissapointed that the ending didn't have the tubular bells.

I also would like to hear that way now that DT is playing HK.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

I really really loved that ending. The Instrumedley was, along with Endless Sacrifice, the first songs I heard and liked from DT. So the first time I heard HK, I was kind of dissapointed that the ending didn't have the tubular bells.

I also would like to hear that way now that DT is playing HK.

Same here. Thats how I got into DT was through Budakon and with those same exact songs too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
If the music is good, I could enjoy it. I don't have to agree with the band's ideologies and attitudes. I can find it completely disgusting, unacceptable. But it wouldn't affect on how I rate the music.

That is...interesting. I wouldn't want to listen to "completely disgusting unacceptable" lyrics.

I don't think it is a terrible comparison. Some people don't listen to the SoA record because of what MP and DS say on social media. Some people don't listen to Roger Waters because of the political content. Some people don't listen to Neal Morse because of the religious lyrics.

In my view, although slightly different, I think all those above fit the same pattern. In the case of SoA, the music they wrote has absolutely nothing to do with how they act on social media. The music is neutral. It is a collection of organized sounds. You don't have to love the guys who wrote it or agree with them, but you can enjoy the music.

And it is always up to you to feel personally offended/attacked when someone talks shit about your favorite band.

I think there's a big difference between Neal Morse lyrics and Sherinian making fun of Dream Theater. I can ignore the latter because that attitude isn't present in the SoA lyrics as far as I can tell. Someone who really doesn't want to hear about religion or politics will have a difficult time ignoring Neal Morse lyrics or Roger Waters' political rants during live shows.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline kaos2900

Lol, I thought the same thing.

But well.. your loss.

I don't see this is as my loss. I listened to the first two tracks and they did nothing for me. As a long time fan of MP I planned on purchasing this to support him. After the shit throwing at DT by him and DS I decided to not buy it. So if anything it's a monetary loss for the band.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I doubt it's much of a monetary loss at all to them. They already had a limited market and a good sized chunk of it was going to hate them anyway. A slight loss in their sales won't matter much. In the meantime they'll tour and it'll be successful. I haven't even heard the album but if they come to Dallas it'll be a ticket sale and probably a shirt from me. Hell, if their setlist consisted of nothing but Mariah Carrey covers they're still far too talented to not make it entertaining AF.

In any case, despite all of the wonderful stuff going on in LitS, and there's a ton of it, it all began with the mood DS set. Seems to me that he threw a pass which everybody ran with. Without him we don't get anything close to the same song. I'd give him a great deal of credit for ACoS, as well. We've all heard the prototype version, and his contribution is a huge part the difference between a neat song for the novelty and a genuine masterpiece. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

According to Rena Petrucci, JP wrote every song except New Millenium, so there's that. Of course she might have some bias.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
According to Rena Petrucci, JP wrote every song except New Millenium, so there's that. Of course she might have some bias.

Petrucci obviously didn’t write Anna Lee. Can’t say much for the rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

I always thought Anna Lee was a beautifully written song. After learning what it was about, it put out a darker vibe of reality to it. A sympathetic song from the writers standpoint. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:26:13 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

Petrucci obviously didn’t write Anna Lee. Can’t say much for the rest.

In the commentary for 5YIAL Mike said that the song was just Derek and James and Petrucci chimed in and said he also had a heavy hand in it. 

BTW, where did Rena say this?