Author Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 8 (spoilers)  (Read 9473 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Walking Dead - Season 8 (spoilers)
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »
Ok I wasn't aware of the controversy. So it looks like other people had the same remarks as me but I disagree with them directing it at the actress, not the character and I disagree with them on making it as though it's the actress fault. It's totally the producers and the show runners fault, they should have put her character on hiatus until she's good and ready to be back. Like they did with that black Alexandrian character with glasses when the actor needed to pursue other projects.

What's she supposed to do?  Lose weight while being pregnant, which is detrimental to her baby, just for your enjoyment of a make-believe television show? 

1. She's not supposed to do anything, it's the show runners responsibility.
2. I don't give a flying fuck about her pregnancy and I don't know why we're talking about it. It's like going to the circus and juggler is only juggling two apples and the audience member next to you in going "It's okay, I heard he has shoulder pain", how the fuck does that pertain to the experience I paid to see?
3. Again her personal issues and my enjoyment of a make-believe TV show should have nothing to do with each other, they shouldn't conflict or relate. Should children in Africa starve just so you can type your forum posts in bigger font? That makes about as much sense as her pregnancy relating to my enjoyment of the show.

Also, Alanna Masterson herself said the following last year:

https://www.eonline.com/news/812719/the-walking-dead-s-alanna-masterson-fires-back-at-body-shaming-trolls-your-mother-should-be-ashamed

"Dear Instagram trolls, body shamers, and the men and woman who think it's ok to comment on my weight: I hope that you don't have children," Masterson wrote on Instagram Tuesday, alongside a photo of her little girl.

"And if you do, I hope you teach them about kindness and acceptance," she added. "I hope they learn that it isn't ok to make fun of people or call people names. I hope one day YOU learn what it takes to be a parent. A kind, selfless parent. A working parent. A parent that puts themselves in someone else's shoes."

Masterson was in the second and third trimesters of her pregnancy while filming the previous sixth season in 2015. She had also called out body shamers on Twitter when she was eight months pregnant.

Her character was not pregnant and the actress dressed in loose-fitting shirts and heavy sweatshirts to hide her baby bump. Masterson has said in interviews she often brought and fed her daughter on set.

"Maybe you can't get it through your thick f--king skull, but nursing a baby for a year (and pumping in a van between takes, in the dead of summer in Georgia) is a lot of work, determination, and scheduling," she said on Instagram. "So before you decide to make a comment about my chest being 'too large' or how 'fat' I've become, just know that this little girl got the best start to life."

"I wouldn't have changed it for a second. I would've gladly continued to eat enough calories to produce milk for her little bones to grow," she added. "Also, grow the f--k up. Your mother should be ashamed for raising such a judgmental bully. I'm sure she knows how 'courageous' you must be for trolling and hiding behind your Iphone and computers."

Masterson's recent episode of The Walking Dead contained her character's most action-packed scenes.

"P.s. I would LOVE to see any man or woman give birth to a baby, nurse the baby, and then work 17 hour days and NAIL their own stunts," she wrote on Instagram. "P.s.s. Be kind to each other. We need it now more than ever."

Here's what I see, not only did these dimwitted fans make the problem about the actress, when it should be about the character and the show runners, but they also allowed her to make this a body shamming issue and bullying issue, which in a million fucking years I wouldn't have thought it would be.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
People were complaining about the size of her boobs while I was admiring them.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2018, 03:53:57 AM »
So Gimble is being 'moved' to overseeing the entire Walking Dead TV franchise and Season 9's new showrunner is Angela Kang.
To be honest Gimble needed to go, I don't know whether he's burnt out and lost his spark - but the show has been on a downward spiral to a couple of seasons.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2018, 05:55:12 AM »
But will he really be gone if he's overseeing the overall franchise?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2018, 06:32:03 AM »
So Gimble is being 'moved' to overseeing the entire Walking Dead TV franchise and Season 9's new showrunner is Angela Kang.
To be honest Gimble needed to go, I don't know whether he's burnt out and lost his spark - but the show has been on a downward spiral to a couple of seasons.

Agree. At first he was a Saviour of sorts getting the show back on track after Mazzera went off the rails. But somewhere around the 90 minute Morgan-centric episode he started to lose it as well and has never recovered. He completely botched Negan and the All out War arc.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
Doesn't look like Lauren Cohan(Maggie) will be returning for Season 9. I'm sure it's too late to kill her off this season, so I suspect her character will probably die offscreen between seasons.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-star-lauren-cohan-season-9-contract-books-lead-abc-pilot-1086628

Online faizoff

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »
Funny how I started this thread feeling a little excited at the beginning yet abandoned the show two episodes into the season. I don't really have any motivation to go back and rewatch at the moment. I think when a show has an indefinite end goal, unless you work towards something it just gets milked over and over again.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »
Doesn't look like Lauren Cohan(Maggie) will be returning for Season 9. I'm sure it's too late to kill her off this season, so I suspect her character will probably die offscreen between seasons.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-star-lauren-cohan-season-9-contract-books-lead-abc-pilot-1086628

Good. Maggie’s a horrible character anyway.

Funny how I started this thread feeling a little excited at the beginning yet abandoned the show two episodes into the season. I don't really have any motivation to go back and rewatch at the moment. I think when a show has an indefinite end goal, unless you work towards something it just gets milked over and over again.

I still watch, just with lowered expectations. I like zombie and apocalyptic movies, no matter how bad they are. This show isn’t all that bad when you realize it’ll never get back to Frank Darabont level good again.

Online faizoff

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »
I think if after 8 seasons of a show, regardless of genre, it only gets worse in terms of storytelling and meanders with no ascertainable or intriguing plot I would rather spend my time watching a ton of the other good shows out there. But that's just me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
I think if after 8 seasons of a show, regardless of genre, it only gets worse in terms of storytelling and meanders with no ascertainable or intriguing plot I would rather spend my time watching a ton of the other good shows out there. But that's just me.

It would behoove them, if they want to change the momentum.....to work an 'end goal' into the story. I think the comic works with the Rick vs 'insert bad guys' because there's more freedom to tell the story in that medium. The Rick vs 'insert bad guy' cycle on the show has worn it's welcome out. It's just a tired...lazy way of going on with the show. Perhaps the new show runner will have a fresh take on things in season 9?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
The biggest headline about this show I've seen in the past few week is "Walking Dead to Finally Feature a Fully Nude Walker". Feels like I jumped ship before things got interesting.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »
I was literally just about to post this, it's so fucking stupid.  :rollin Yeah, I've sadly not given a crap about or watched the show for the past season and a half. It's just gone so far away from it's original core and goal. Quite obviously just succumbed to corporate greed and is being milked dry regardless of writing crew/talent. Then when I heard Carl gets the axe, that's it. He's my favorite reason to keep reading the comics. There's just little reason to watch it anymore with so many other great shows out. I have no doubt though I'll finish up the series one day when I have literally nothing else to do or watch. So there's that.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »
It's just gone so far away from it's original core and goal. Quite obviously just succumbed to corporate greed and is being milked dry regardless of writing crew/talent.

that's the disappointing thing, the source material is solid and 'should' give them such a good base to create the TV show. They just continually miss the mark....to the point of it's unforgivable now. There's really no excuse for them to have jacked up this 'All Out War' arc....but they have.

The fact that they insist on having (16) Episodes a season when we all know 5 or 6 of them are just straight filler speaks to the Greed part. GOT and other shows have demonstrated that well written and thought out shows can be super successful with a (10) episode season, which I think is the only thing that could possibly save TWD.

But, I was pleasantly surprised by Season 3 of FTWD and thought it was really good actually. I'm curious to see if they can keep that momentum going. But as far as TWD...like you mentioned Tio.....there is just SO much great content out there right not TWD is far behind in the pack.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2018, 06:31:50 AM »
Yawn on the Carl death episode. I can’t imagine the second half of this season does anything to salvage it.

The only real interesting thing was the revelation that the ‘old man Rick’ flashes were Carl’s vision for the future....and that Carl basically made Rick promise him he’d try to make it all work.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Yawn on the Carl death episode. I can’t imagine the second half of this season does anything to salvage it.

The only real interesting thing was the revelation that the ‘old man Rick’ flashes were Carl’s vision for the future....and that Carl basically made Rick promise him he’d try to make it all work.

I stopped watching/caring about this show since season 7's midseason break. I've tried to avoid spoilers in the event I revisit it one day, but after a year now, I've just drifted farther from caring. So in light of that and not worrying about spoilers anymore... Did they really kill Carl?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »

I stopped watching/caring about this show since season 7's midseason break. I've tried to avoid spoilers in the event I revisit it one day, but after a year now, I've just drifted farther from caring. So in light of that and not worrying about spoilers anymore... Did they really kill Carl?

Yup.  I thought it was rather boring though.  Great acting from Chandler Riggs, but he really didn't do much convincing to try and change Rick's mind.  Hopefully it was just a seed that was planted and we get to see Rick struggle with his choices, rather than walking away from this with a 100% conviction to kill or spare the Saviors.

I applaud the show for doing something crazy and drastic with a main character again.  Weird to think that only three characters are left from the original group in Atlanta.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »

Yup.  I thought it was rather boring though.  Great acting from Chandler Riggs, but he really didn't do much convincing to try and change Rick's mind.  Hopefully it was just a seed that was planted and we get to see Rick struggle with his choices, rather than walking away from this with a 100% conviction to kill or spare the Saviors.

I applaud the show for doing something crazy and drastic with a main character again.  Weird to think that only three characters are left from the original group in Atlanta.

Damn. Wouldn't have suspected that. Was Carl bitten or was did he go the way of Glenn and Abraham? If he was bitten, did we get to see him turn/Rick put him down?

Online Grappler

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
Damn. Wouldn't have suspected that. Was Carl bitten or was did he go the way of Glenn and Abraham? If he was bitten, did we get to see him turn/Rick put him down?

Bitten, and no.  He shot himself off-screen and you just see Rick & Michonne's reactions.  Carl didn't want the experience to change Rick, or put him through that experience, like it did when he had to shoot his own mom.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

Bitten, and no.  He shot himself off-screen and you just see Rick & Michonne's reactions.  Carl didn't want the experience to change Rick, or put him through that experience, like it did when he had to shoot his own mom.

Sounds really cheesy and anticlimactic. What a wasted opportunity. Did he at least get bitten while doing something heroic like saving Judith from whoever the current enemy is?

Online Grappler

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »

Sounds really cheesy and anticlimactic. What a wasted opportunity. Did he at least get bitten while doing something heroic like saving Judith from whoever the current enemy is?

He was saving a stranger that he and Rick had encountered previously.  It was to prove a point.  Rick wanted to kill him, I believe, and Carl's newfound belief is that you can't kill everyone - some people are still good, even if they are being led by bad people.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »

He was saving a stranger that he and Rick had encountered previously.  It was to prove a point.  Rick wanted to kill him, I believe, and Carl's newfound belief is that you can't kill everyone - some people are still good, even if they are being led by bad people.

Lame

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »

Yeah....the 'story' as Gimple explains it is that they needed a reason for Rick to spare Negan's life at the end of the season rather than kill him like he's been insisting he's going to do at every chance he can. Carl sees a future where everyone can get along and work towards a better society....so while he's on his death bed Rick promises Carl he will make it happen.

From what I can gather from the internetz is that Chandler Riggs was told he was still a major part of the story line going forward. He was closing in on 18 so he bought a house in Atlanta....then, suddenly they write him out of the show. Rumor on the web is that being he was approaching 18 he wanted to re-negotiate his contract from what he was making as a 'child' actor and get full blown Norman Reedus/Andrew Lincoln type payday. So, instead of a drawn out fight they just killed his character off. Who really knows but killing his character off now was retarded....especially since some of the best scenes in the show have been between Carl and Negan....and the story going forward in the comic had those two become VERY close and have a weird..close relationship.

As I mentioned, I like this type of genre so I'll watch no matter what. But it's just not 'must see' for me anymore. There is so much great content available now between all the different services TWD simply cannot compete with them right now. AMC really jacked that show up and I think we all know it was due to greed. From (still) not increasing the budget per episode (been the same since they cut it after season 1) to poor casting choices for characters....to poor writing in trying to portray those characters....it's just been a nightmare for a while. the (16) episode seasons are brutal as well since we all know 4 of them at minimum are filler merely for advertisement $$$.

I hope the fact that they've now removed Gimple and added the new chic that maybe she can work some magic in season 9. Could salvage the show with the whole Whisperers and that storyline

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2018, 05:49:07 AM »

Yeah....the 'story' as Gimple explains it is that they needed a reason for Rick to spare Negan's life at the end of the season rather than kill him

I really hope they don't keep Negan alive.  The character maybe have worked in comic book form, but he's awful (and ratings poison) on the show.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2018, 06:03:31 AM »

Yeah....the 'story' as Gimple explains it is that they needed a reason for Rick to spare Negan's life at the end of the season rather than kill him

I really hope they don't keep Negan alive.  The character maybe have worked in comic book form, but he's awful (and ratings poison) on the show.

His arc was the main reason I stopped watching. I was already getting tired of the ridiculous cliff hangers (glenn under the dumpster), but his character just did nothing for me and almost became a chore to watch. Don't get me wrong, I think the dude playing the character was nailing it, I just hated the character. Nothing about him was believable or interesting. The governor actually intrigued me and came off like a broken human being. Negan is just a dick.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2018, 06:32:04 AM »

His arc was the main reason I stopped watching. I was already getting tired of the ridiculous cliff hangers (glenn under the dumpster), but his character just did nothing for me and almost became a chore to watch. Don't get me wrong, I think the dude playing the character was nailing it, I just hated the character. Nothing about him was believable or interesting. The governor actually intrigued me and came off like a broken human being. Negan is just a dick.

Total swing and miss as far as translating a character from the page to the screen. I thought his introductory scene with the Glenn/Abraham deaths was awesome....downhill from there. Actually, it all started with them cliff hanging those deaths between seasons. Huge mistake IMO. They should have ended the season with that scene. I think that ticked of a bunch of people and removed any ‘slack’ they’d been giving the show.

But I think its a foregone conclusion that Rick will spare Negan’s life. The multiple instances of them showing both Rick telling Negan he’s going to kill him interspliced with Rick....all beat up, crying and bloody saying his mercy has overcome his wrath....a line that the dude who Carl saved that got Carl killed has said.....on top of the fact that Carl’s dying wish was for everyone to live happily ever after. They aren’t killing Negan.

As I mentioned, the only hope for this show is that AMC gets out of the way of it because I have no doubt that 90% of it’s issues are the brass. Maybe the new chick show runner can get it back on track?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2018, 07:21:23 AM »
So I've finally given up on the show. Was part way through the mid-season premiere, and just really couldn't be bothered anymore. Such a shame that a show that had some great stretches in the past has just become so tedious.

Might follow this thread from time to time just to keep up with what's happening, but not going to bother watching anymore - too many better things to watch and not enough time to even keep up with those!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
So I've finally given up on the show. Was part way through the mid-season premiere, and just really couldn't be bothered anymore. Such a shame that a show that had some great stretches in the past has just become so tedious.

Might follow this thread from time to time just to keep up with what's happening, but not going to bother watching anymore - too many better things to watch and not enough time to even keep up with those!

If it helps this past episode was better. But I agree, there is just SO much good content out there between all the streaming services TWD has fallen way behind as far as 'must see'. I'll typically still watch it on sunday night sometime....but the 'must see' aspect and feeling towards the show has dwindled. It really needs a major boost and overhaul....I'm hoping the new show runner breathes some life into season 9.

Now what I was impressed with was Season 3 of Fear The Walking Dead. First two seasons were so disjointed and erratic I went into season three with the mindset of giving it an episode or two to regain my loyalty, and it did. It was a really well done season with a pretty cool storyline.....which has me anticipating season 4 with an anticipation I 'used' to have for TWD.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:53 PM »
Honestly the last four epidoses of the show have been pretty good. Gives me a glimmer of hope for season 9, especially being that Gimple has been replaced. Curious as to how the finale pans out next week.

Looking forward to the fourth season of Fear. It looks like it’s gonna be pretty good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2018, 06:43:15 AM »
Just wanted to say if anyone gave up on Fear the Walking Dead ..... I’d recommend starting back up. Just start at season three then continue watching.

Last season and now the (4) episodes this season have been pretty dang good. Totally different show than what season 1 and 2 were.

Online Grappler

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2018, 07:37:14 AM »
I completely love the start of season 4.  It's like Fear the Walking Dead sucked all of the suspense from the main show and then some. 

I thought JDM kicked ass as Negan, but there was very little suspense with the exception of the Eeny Meenie Miney Moe scene.  I never felt like any of the characters were in danger at all, either from humans or walkers.  Very few major casualties during firefights and a big anti-climactic "Eugene saves the day" at the end for the heroes. 

Compare that to last night's Fear episode at the water park - when the characters slid down the waterside with the pile of zombies stuck in the middle of the bowl, I really felt the tension, thinking that they could get bitten any time during that scene. 

Playing with the timelines makes for very compelling storytelling, and I'm already wondering where Madison is in the current timeline. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2018, 07:39:55 AM »
Playing with the timelines makes for very compelling storytelling, and I'm already wondering where Madison is in the current timeline.

I think she's dead. I think that's why Nick was so dead set on killing that guy last week. I think things go south at the ballfield....she gets killed and those four head out for revenge.

Online Grappler

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »

I think she's dead. I think that's why Nick was so dead set on killing that guy last week. I think things go south at the ballfield....she gets killed and those four head out for revenge.

That was my thought too, though I hope it's not.  If so, this show has major balls to kill off nearly every one of the family members from the pilot.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »

That was my thought too, though I hope it's not.  If so, this show has major balls to kill off nearly every one of the family members from the pilot.

I honestly think that's what they're gonna do. I think bringing in Garret Dillahunt to play John was a set up for a long lasting cast member to carry the show......crossing over Morgan keeps attention.....I think they'll keep Alicia alive because she's a cool character, probably Strand for a bit.

But all in all it wouldn't surprise me if FTWD's 'move' going forward is to not keep a 'main' cast around for a while......just introduce and cycle through them. The story thus far since the beginning of season three has been fantastic with that approach

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2018, 11:46:03 AM »

I was initally thinking Madison might be dead, but now I think it’s possible that group is holding her captive and the reason they’re desperately trying to find the group is to rescue Madison.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules