Author Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 8 (spoilers)  (Read 9478 times)

Online faizoff

The Walking Dead - Season 8 (spoilers)
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »
Season 8 premiered last night, didn't watch it live but caught it afterwards. I think as always they have some great ideas but they don't get done that well and look a bit jarring as they unfold.

Spoilers below

I actually liked the plot of them trying to lure the zombies into Negan's camp. I don't quite get at the confrontation of shooting at the windows once they got there. I'm sure it's deliberate that they wanted to miss but I don't know what the point was.

As much as I'd like father Gabriel to be shitting his pants when he's trapped in a building with Negan, he has a fucking gun with him and it should be the other way round when it comes to shitting the pants.

The speeches at this point in the show all sound the same to me and I just tune them out, it's almost always the same spiel.

I can't tell if the future that they hinted at with Jesus looking Rick is either an actual flash forward or just Rick's imagined future. Seems too specific so I'm thinking it's real but then they made it look all dream like, so I guess they will reveal it at the end of Season 8 when I've probably lost interest by then.

Probably a 6/10 for now.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Walking Dead - Season 8 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
I like the show.....I've always liked it. I understand the gripe some people have with it but all in all I still enjoy it and don't think I'll ever stop. I wish that AMC didn't have so much pull as to the content of the show but I think they influence the storyline by insisting that the seasons remain (16) episodes. Which is just a cash grab for them. This show could easily be 10-12 episode seasons which could eliminate some of the lazy portions of the show. But....oh well.

SPOILER TALK....COMIC REFERENCES

I think the flash forward in which Rick appears sweaty, tired and beat up a bit when he's sitting under the stained glass window is the final 'battle' between he and Negan....and, being that he recites something along the lines of 'my mercy has overcome my wrath' they are most likely sticking to the comic material and he has just spared Negan's life. They are going out of their way already to make the point that Rick is insisting he's going to kill Negan....so, when he doesn't that will suppose to be shocking I guess?

I think the 'old man Rick' flash forward is either him just dreaming it up or it could actually be like the comic and it's really them in a few years. who knows?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
Great first episode to season 8. (Spoilers as per topic header)

I did like that they jumped straight into the attack on Negan's camp, if they had left it a few episodes that would have been annoying.

Breaking the glass I thought was an attempt that anyone inside would come outside, but apart from the few, no one else seemed to be around.
In that main hall anyway.

I must admit what appeared to be railcars/containers behind Rick and his group, I expected people to come out of those.

I don't get why at least one of Negan's group was not shot, even Regina who they just introduced.

Then Negan ends up on his own, how did that even happen .. without Simon or someone with him.

Even with a gun, I don't believe Gabriel will use it, even as Negan approached him, he seemed to point it away, not at him.

When we saw shorts for the season with Rick as an old man, I almost wanted there to be about 20 minutes where Rick woke up in the hospital as if it was all a dream.
And different characters as Doctors, Nurses, Patients etc. I am just describing that scene from Legion, but I liked that, so I almost wished that had happened.
Likely it will just be when Rick is another bad situation further into this season and imagines an ordinary life.

I would love there to be a flash back episode for Negan, before everything went to hell, and how he got to where he is.

Gregory such an idiot, I actually like Simon pushing him down the stairs. What Gregory he then does to Gabriel though was terrible. Gregory is a loose cannon though and it will be interesting to see what he does from here.

Overall looking forward to the season. The Talking Dead premiere was fantastic as well, most of the cast, no spoilers but still good, even Sasha, Herschel, T-Dog and Merle were on.
Glenn only by taped footage.  Kirkman did mention that either in the second half season 8 or start of 9 there will be a cross over with Fear the walking Dead, no mention of what characters.

Saw a quick preview for next week and I have to say would it not have been smart to move everyone from Alexandria until after the attack?
I could be wrong but it seemed like part of Negan's crew were clearing weapons from what looked like one of the Alexandria houses.
Though it is hard to distinguish everyone, apparently The Kingdom have orange armbands, Hilltop in Green and Alexandria in White. I never even noticed them on first watch.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
I think the shooting of the windows was more noise to attract the horde. How long is Gabriel going to be locked up with Negan?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
I think the shooting of the windows was more noise to attract the horde. How long is Gabriel going to be locked up with Negan?

It also kept everyone inside distracted and hiding, so they wouldn't figure out what the real attack was (blowing up the perimeter and leading a horde right to their doorstep).   The criticism of this show is insane.  As for why they didn't just try to immediately kill Negan or his cronies - Rick offered them a chance to walk away without a fight.  So they're not going to kill them right away if he can get them to surrender.

As for comic comparisons, it's been two years since I've read All Out War, so I'm pretty much blind on this.  I'd have to re-read it, and I just don't have that time right now. But I'll enjoy the show anyways.  :)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
I'm just curious as to if the show will kill off Rick way sooner than if/when he would die in the comic? As in, like....this season? I mean, they could easily start the show down the path with Carl/Daryl or another character....even Negan being the 'main' character and spice it up a bit. They'd get more creative freedom as they deviated from the source material and it'd inject a bit of 'unknown' into the show for the comic readers.

Maybe Andrew Lincoln is perfectly fine with shooting the show 6 months a year and just continuing to make his $800k and episode.....but I can't help but think that at some point those actors/actresses get a bit 'tired' of doing the same old thing and are ready for something new. Especially knowing some of their former co-stars have gone off to do other, multiple cool projects. I don't know....I'm perfectly fine with Rick sticking around but was just thinking what a surprise that'd be if they knocked him off.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:24:20 AM »
I'm just curious as to if the show will kill off Rick way sooner than if/when he would die in the comic? As in, like....this season? I mean, they could easily start the show down the path with Carl/Daryl or another character....even Negan being the 'main' character and spice it up a bit. They'd get more creative freedom as they deviated from the source material and it'd inject a bit of 'unknown' into the show for the comic readers.

Maybe Andrew Lincoln is perfectly fine with shooting the show 6 months a year and just continuing to make his $800k and episode.....but I can't help but think that at some point those actors/actresses get a bit 'tired' of doing the same old thing and are ready for something new. Especially knowing some of their former co-stars have gone off to do other, multiple cool projects. I don't know....I'm perfectly fine with Rick sticking around but was just thinking what a surprise that'd be if they knocked him off.
I'm not sure I see that working. I know it's an ensemble show with a large cast, but it always comes back to Rick as the central character. Killing him off would mean either not bothering with a central character like that anymore, or making someone else, but the options you suggest (Carl, Daryl) just don't have enough personality.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »

I'm not sure I see that working. I know it's an ensemble show with a large cast, but it always comes back to Rick as the central character. Killing him off would mean either not bothering with a central character like that anymore, or making someone else, but the options you suggest (Carl, Daryl) just don't have enough personality.

I totally agree the show boils down to and revolves around Rick. I like that fact. And, you're probably correct that neither one of those actors/characters could carry the show.....maybe Negan (JDM) could?

I don't see them killing off Rick and I was more or less curious about how much longer Andrew Lincoln 'wants' to continue with the show. 8 Seasons....7 total years....that's a long run and I'm just wondering if he's bored yet? then again....I just looked online and it's reported that he's making $618k per episode so I could be bored with that kind of $$.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:50:11 AM »
Just fucking kill Negan already, the guys plot armour is getting really annoying now.

So we see a shot of two guards being being sniped of the building.  The cars pull up, Rick fires a shot and out strolls Negan still being as annoying as ever.  No one just shoots him, then we get some dick waving conversation (literally) and Rick starts a countdown, then on 7 Rick starts spraying his Uzi - if this was the plan why not just get the snipers to shoot Negan and his Lieutenants, rather than spray and pray with an Uzi.
Of course there is going to be no chance Ellis Carver will just shoot him now.

And, you're probably correct that neither one of those actors/characters could carry the show.....maybe Negan (JDM) could?

That would kill the show.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
And, you're probably correct that neither one of those actors/characters could carry the show.....maybe Negan (JDM) could?

That would kill the show.

Unfortunately, I don't think the show has done the best job at bringing the comic book Negan to the show. Because, in the comic....his character could absolutely carry/has carried at times.....the story and IMO comic book Negan could easily carry the story without Rick.

I can understand some of the criticism the show Negan character is getting but all in all I think JDM is doing about as good a job as he can. It's a tough character to translate to the screen.

Online faizoff

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:06 AM »
The Negan character started out pretty good in that season 6 finale. He was charming yet menacing, even though we got just a glimpse of him. That depiction was great. But then what we saw in season 7 was mostly comical and appealing to a hormonal teenager. Swearing, horny, badass all around would be how I would imagine villians to be at that age. I think JDM is an amazing actor, I've only seen in the Watchmen movie prior and he was fucking awesome in that movie. He's the right actor for the Negan role and has the perfect look and candor but they need to give his character more depth if they are to make him more believable.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
The Negan character started out pretty good in that season 6 finale. He was charming yet menacing, even though we got just a glimpse of him. That depiction was great. But then what we saw in season 7 was mostly comical and appealing to a hormonal teenager. Swearing, horny, badass all around would be how I would imagine villians to be at that age. I think JDM is an amazing actor, I've only seen in the Watchmen movie prior and he was fucking awesome in that movie. He's the right actor for the Negan role and has the perfect look and candor but they need to give his character more depth if they are to make him more believable.

I picked up the 'Here's Negan' backstory comic yesterday and read it. Was talking with my brother how it'd be a perfect 2 Hour special episode for AMC to do between seasons. It's an interesting enough backstory to show how he got to where he was but I'd rather see it all at once than a flashback here and there. I know there has been talk of revealing his backstory on the show, I just don't know how that'd fit into it all? I think a one off special would be neat.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 04:44:16 AM »
Second episode is a real mess.   Splitting up into smaller groups (again) and following 4 separate parties/stories made for a confusing and poorly executed episode in my opinion.

Online Grappler

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
I didn't find it to be that confusing.  They made one main attack at the Savior's gate in the first episode, and this episode involved them to be hitting various Savior outposts.  Splitting up left them vulnerable though, as they've found themselves either in bad positions or injured. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
I like the show. It has to do a lot for me not to like an episode. Last nights episode could possibly be the single biggest waste of an hour the show has ever done. Absolutely pointless. there is no need to show the assault on these outposts. You can show the aftermath of them collecting the spoils or whatever but the "action" sequences in last nights episode were utterly boring.....the re-introduction of Morales' character is utterly retarded.....and the whole morphing Morgan into this almighty assassin is simply lazy writing. Jesus showing weakness by taking prisoners is such a useless manufactured bone of contention for the plot....it's mind numbing. The fact he or anyone would consider letting any of them live is not realistic. I'm just so dissatisfied with that episode....and like I said, I still really like the show. It just makes me worried AMC/Gimple and Co. are going to jack up this really cool story arc from the comic.

That episode is a prime example of AMC being in the way of the storytelling and more evidence to support the fact the seasons need to be shortened to 10 or 12 episode seasons....that'll cure these 'throw away' money grab episodes from being made.

Online faizoff

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
Among a laundry list of wishes that I have for this show that I know will never happen, is that they edit and execute things better. The gunfight that Aaron and the shielded cars have with the saviors looks like it's happening right in front of each other. They need to give a sense of surrounding and context. I think they don't create enough tension in the scenes and the way they are setup, I mean, yes we know it's an all out war and Morgan going loco was great but they should've given him more reason to be that way. Same thing with Jesus, his sudden display of morality is not shown with proper context and that's why that episode was boring even with all that action.

Online Grappler

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
I mean, yes we know it's an all out war and Morgan going loco was great but they should've given him more reason to be that way. Same thing with Jesus, his sudden display of morality is not shown with proper context and that's why that episode was boring even with all that action.

The Morgan thing was explained via the scenes with Rick - Rick knows that Morgan is very capable of killing. So he flipped that switch in Morgan's brain to tell him that they need him to kill Saviors.

As for Jesus, it's pretty reasonable to see that he is taking a more respective approach to war.  The Alexandrians follow Rick's orders to kill all Saviors.  Jesus will spare those that surrender and try to take them as prisoners of war.  Jesus isn't exactly a killing machine - he's always shown more of a calm demeanor, though he can certainly fight when he needs to.  So that's not a stretch to me at all.

Online faizoff

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
I suppose you're right. I think I'm fatigued by the show and might have to just quit it by the looks of it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
I swear it feels like nothing actually happens in this show anymore. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »
I'd say the show has been spinning it's wheels since the group arrived at Alexandria.   Season 6 felt like one long tease for the arrival of Negan.  Season 7 introduced us finally to Negan.....and he's a dreadful character, and we also got the awful Junkyard Elves.   The two episode of Season 8 haven't really been much better either, they've somehow made the start of the all out war kind off dull.   I still have hope they can turn it around though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:00:45 AM by soupytwist »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
I suppose you're right. I think I'm fatigued by the show and might have to just quit it by the looks of it.

I quit after season 6. One of the best decisions I've made.

Online faizoff

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 07:40:52 AM »
I think I'll see how the mid-season finale goes, I'm guessing I won't continue after that. My wife already bailed on this season even though she's a much bigger fan than me. She hasn't even watched the two episodes yet.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 09:50:43 AM »
Is Negan as hammy in the comics?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
Is Negan as hammy in the comics?

Nope. I'm not sure who's choice it was to add some of the little quirks that JDM has as far as the licking the lips, the hip thrust etc etc but it isn't achieving the goal of translating Negan from page to screen.

In the comic Negan from get go is pretty charismatic and fear inducing. The Glenn death gets the ball rolling and honestly, the issue I think is that Negan in the comic any time he's on the page is in circumstances where he gets to demonstrate how frightening he can be or how he commands leadership. It was always going to be a challenge translating that character to screen because he truly is a campy comic book character that's done really well in the comic. I love what they've done with that character in the comic actually.

It's been difficult to watch TV Negan being how much I like comic Negan. I think JDM is doing a good job, but I don't blame his lack of 'nailing' the character on him. TWD has a long history of F'ing up the comic character. Andrea, Tyres and the Governor were botched big time IMO.

Online Grappler

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
I swear it feels like nothing actually happens in this show anymore. :lol

Do you read the comics?  The group stays in Alexandria for a long, long, long time.  The showrunners and actors have also gone on to say that Season 7 occurs over a period of only 2-3 weeks within the timeline of the show.  So of course, not terribly much is going to happen because they haven't experienced much.  Season 7 was a bunch of world building.  You can't have a bunch of random groups going to war against the Saviors without introducing them.  So you got the slower paced season to build everything up to this season.  They also have 16 episodes to cover it, so not everything is going to happen right away.  The All Out War arc spanned two volumes of the comics, if I remember right.  That's 10+ issues?  Expand that for television, and you have one full season for the comic arc.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »
Much better episode. Love Daryl’s approach these days.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
Much better episode. Love Daryl’s approach these days.

Agreed.  Aside from Aaron's awful cryface acting it was a much improved episode.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 06:55:52 PM »
They are also showing more and more walkers without their skin....just sagging muscle which leads me to believe that it wont' be long before the Whisperers are introduced...at least at the level they were in the comic initially when a couple of the Kingdom scouts heard the Walkers 'whispering' to one another.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
I'm glad Morales didn't last long. That actor hasn't improved much in 7 years.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »
I'm glad Morales didn't last long. That actor hasn't improved much in 7 years.

I thought that was awesome. For a moment I thought Rick was going to make a move but the longer they talked you just knew Daryl was coming. Was pleasantly surprised when he just immediately killed him.

I think it's safe to say Daryl is on a murderous mission this season after being tortured.

Online faizoff

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
I haven't watched the last two episodes but if one of the show's super hardcore fan, Mike Portnoy, tweets back to back tweets on the last two episodes that it's become an #AllOutBore, I think its time for me wait till the end of season/midseason to catch up on the show. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 06:34:24 AM »
I haven't watched the last two episodes but if one of the show's super hardcore fan, Mike Portnoy, tweets back to back tweets on the last two episodes that it's become an #AllOutBore, I think its time for me wait till the end of season/midseason to catch up on the show.

The last two episodes weren’t bad per say, but they certainly weren’t off the charts. This show needs a mix up in the writing/ showrumner department.  Too predictable of how the episodes are going to go. Gimple did a great job IMO steering the show back on track after Mazerra F’d it up, but now he’s gone and turned it into a pretty predictable, formulaic based deal and it’s startimg to wear thin.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »

He would know a thing or two about boring. He released Sons of Apollo afterall.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 01:43:37 AM »
Annoying arty directed style opening, macho/survival speeches and poorly directed gun fights.  That's pretty much season 8 so far!

*still mostly enjoying it though...

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
I may be in the minority here but i've enjoyed this sea son. I've looking forward to each episode.

I didn't like the scene of the death of Shiva though.