Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 235519 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #3535 on: September 18, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
I blows my mind. Hey, I did it in my time but ?i can't anymore.  I've got a wife to support, a house to pay for and so much more.  Imagine putting weed above personal growth?  I get that these things aren't for all but you need to make more money if you want more weed. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3536 on: September 18, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
Evening guys. Just having a post gym beer.

Had quite the day visiting the ENT.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3537 on: September 19, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »
re: Weed and Booze

That's how I am. I indulge, but I can't imagine ever drinking or anything on company time (Except when having a beers with my boss  while we meet with people of importance).  Hell I am even iffy partaking or drinking like the night before work. 

I actually fired a guy recently who had hidden a bottle of vodka in the bathroom. He came in sober, and every 10 minutes or so he'd duck into the bathroom for a minute, and come back out.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3538 on: September 19, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
There's a very big drinking culture where I work, and apparently a drug culture as well.  They don't drug test here and if you were to walk into the office, you would see lots of bottles of booze on people's desks.  Now if you are using during the work day, that might not go so well for you, but they seem to be fine with people boozing in the office after 5pm or so.  I would never show up to work with a buzz or anything, but it seems if you can handle yourself here that it's kind of a non issue surprisingly.  I don't work in a normal job by any means so my example is not a standard in any way. 

When I worked my high school job at Boston Market, the manager asked me to go into the mens bathroom (she was a female) and look behind the toilet without giving me any more information.  I looked and found a bottle of vodka.  Turns out the cook in the back was a big alcoholic and was drinking on the job.  She had smelt it on his breath earlier and was wondering where he was drinking it.  That was a real "welcome to earth" moment for me as I had never really seen an drunk at work.  I didn't even know he was drunk, but he wasn't a very friendly person so I hardly interacted with him. 

As I said before, a time and a place.  Drink all you want, smoke all you want, it's not my life but when you cross a boundary such as using in a work place, that's on you.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3539 on: September 19, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »
It was (and still is, though far less likely of ever happening now) a dream of mine to have a job where I could have a bottle of whiskey and two glasses in my bottom drawer, like every police captain ever.   I've only experienced that once in my entire career, at my first job (and my boss was a young guy who was way over his head, but still cool). 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3540 on: September 19, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
I was talking with my boss last week and he said he doesn't know how I deal with all the bullshit at this account.

My response: "I keep a bottle of whiskey under my desk".

Him: "You know, at this point, I wouldn't even be mad if that were true!"

Lmao.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3541 on: September 19, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »
 :lol I have a small bottle of vodka on my desk.  My coworker got it for me from Iceland.  I keep it on my desk just so I can be like the rest of the company, but I haven't opened it yet.  I don't even work in the company office, but I know my boss would be proud of me for having that on my desk.  We also happen to have a large bottle of rum in my office.  I don't know why, but it also hasn't been opened, it's just here.

I left a small bit of Vodka in our Denver DC last week.  I noticed my coworker left a stash of whiskey so I added my leftover vodka ( I had one night where I went to the Alice in Chains concert so I made a couple cocktails in my hotel before the show, wasn't drinking on the job).

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3542 on: September 19, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I try to keep a sort of organic balance managing the company substances-wise. Singers, actors and dancers on stage gotta be clean, period. I'm going to focking fire people publicly during curtain calls if needed. Conversely, with the years I've found that if I don't allow the orchestra a modicum of booze and the tech and grunt guys a fair share of weed, I may not have a show to work that night.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3543 on: September 19, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
It was (and still is, though far less likely of ever happening now) a dream of mine to have a job where I could have a bottle of whiskey and two glasses in my bottom drawer, like every police captain ever.   I've only experienced that once in my entire career, at my first job (and my boss was a young guy who was way over his head, but still cool). 

I'll be your Alan Shore if you'll be my Denny Crane.

Also, I work from home.  Four decanters of scotch are about 9 feet away at all times.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3544 on: September 19, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »

Also, I work from home.  Four decanters of scotch are about 9 feet away at all times.

Pour me a dram of whatever Islay you've got, and I'll be right over.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3545 on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »

Bring your drinking passport.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: September 19, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
I try to keep a sort of organic balance managing the company substances-wise. Singers, actors and dancers on stage gotta be clean, period. I'm going to focking fire people publicly during curtain calls if needed. Conversely, with the years I've found that if I don't allow the orchestra a modicum of booze and the tech and grunt guys a fair share of weed, I may not have a show to work that night.

Yea, working for a tech company they kind of feel the same way.  Drug use is rampant within tech.  If they want to hire the best people to compete with Facebook and Google, they got to be accepting (without admitting it and openly allowing it) to hiring people who may use.  But that doesn't mean it's OK to show up for work high or use on the job, just don't let it affect your work and work won't care.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3547 on: September 19, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »

Sadly, all I in the house at the moment is Macallan, Jura and Tomintoul at the moment.  And 1/2 a bottle of Johnny Blue

I did just finish off a Bowmore.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3548 on: September 19, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »

I'll be your Alan Shore if you'll be my Denny Crane.

Haha, I'm in!    I like that gif, too. I want one of those hats.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3549 on: September 19, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
Stads, you're killing me on Twitter.  You look at Ace, Paul & Gene's solo albums as equals?!

Gene isn't even close compared to the other 2.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3550 on: September 19, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
Fucking Twitter?? Stadler too?

I'd say that's impossible. Isn't there a character limit? No way Stadler can do that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3551 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
Lol Twitter.

The one Social Media platform I pretty much ignore.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3552 on: September 19, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
Yeah, both of us were responding to a tweet by MP on the 4 Kiss Solo albums.

Stay off my lawn Jay.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: September 19, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
Stads, you're killing me on Twitter.  You look at Ace, Paul & Gene's solo albums as equals?!

Gene isn't even close compared to the other 2.

No, Paul first (other than "Hold Me, Touch Me" which I can't stand, it's the perfect album), then Ace/Gene tied, then Peter.   Ace's album is stellar, but there's something about Gene's.   The low points are LOW ("Living In Sin"), but the first side is stellar, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE what Rick Nielson does on See You In Your Dreams. 

I just realized; Kiss has some of the worst "second lines" ever:
Hooligan! (Won't go to school again!)
Living In Sin (at the Holiday Inn!)
Speedin' Back To My Baby (and I don't mean maybe!)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: September 19, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Fucking Twitter?? Stadler too?

I'd say that's impossible. Isn't there a character limit? No way Stadler can do that.

:metal. Bridging the 18th century and the 21st century, since 1967.   You kids!  Get off my digital grid!   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3555 on: September 19, 2018, 03:06:26 PM »
Ace's album mops the floor with Gene's. Not. Even. Close.

But hell yes, Paul's is awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3556 on: September 19, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »
I agree Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3557 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:40 PM »
Ace's is borderline early progressive hard rock. Lots of changes in the arrangements.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3558 on: September 20, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »
Ace's is borderline early progressive hard rock. Lots of changes in the arrangements.

I don't doubt you, bro, you're usually spot on on that kind of thing, but I need to go back and give another listen because I missed that the first 500 times I listened to it.

I don't know; there's something "Beatles-esque" about Gene's that I really like.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3559 on: September 20, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »
I wouldn't say progressive.  Just influence by the 70's AOR with a hard edge that's Ace.

Gene had a few really strong songs but overall a weak album for me.

Paul's album is a songwriter's dream.

Peter,  Swing and a miss.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:30 AM »
Ace's is more consistent than Gene's (by a long shot) but there are just as many songs I can take or leave (not the hugest fan of Speedin' Back To My Baby (and I don't mean maybe!) and New York Groove).   I love the little things about Ace's record, though; the intro to Speedin', the little play on the classic surf song "Wipe Out" at the start of "Wiped Out", and of course the start of the "Fractured..." series (which I love). 

I will say this:  I was surprised then that Ace's voice carried over a whole album.   Before that, he was just a flavor in and among Gene and Paul on Kiss records, but this was all him and he delivered.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3561 on: September 20, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3562 on: September 20, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
 :tdwn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3563 on: September 20, 2018, 01:58:31 PM »
I've never seen Kiss, I'd totally go check out that show when it comes nearby.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: September 20, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
Obviously, it's all your personal taste, but I took my 16-year-old daughter to the Kiss/Def Leppard show in 2016, and while Lep was playing she was blown away ("are those guys REALLY playing all that on guitar??") and I worried about Kiss a little (since they're not exactly Lee/Bonham/Hendrix/Malmsteen up there).  In fact they started slow.  But Gene got into a shouting match with the roadie over his hoist (it lifted him about three feet off the stage then froze) and then went over and barked something at Paul and Tommy, and it was like someone hit nitro.   The second half of the set was UNBELIEVABLE, and I've seen them 7, 8 times.  Even my daughter said "Dad what happened with Gene?  He  got mad and they got good!".

Next day, my wife showed me my daughter's Instagram:  it was a full picture of the fireworks during Rock'n'Roll All Nite and the caption "Greatest night of my life!"

If you can score a $50 ticket not too far back (and you usually can) it's a worthwhile night out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3565 on: September 20, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
I don't love Kiss, but I've always enjoyed a handful of their songs and figure they are a fun live show.  I'm hoping they come to my local amphitheater making it an easy decision to attend.  I know they've played there before but that was before my days of seeing concerts on a consistent basis.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3566 on: September 20, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
I've seen Kiss 9 times in my lifetime.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: September 20, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »
I've seen Kiss 9 times in my lifetime.

What was the first show? Did you see them in makeup the first time around?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3568 on: September 20, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »
Dynasty, 1979.  Dad took me. Springfield Ma.  Second time was Animalize 1984. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: September 20, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
Dynasty, 1979.  Dad took me. Springfield Ma.  Second time was Animalize 1984.

Jealous.  My cousin went to see the Dynasty tour as well.  I think I sat home and flipped baseball cards.   My first was Lick It Up in 1983 (and I got to meet the band at a local record store before the show).  It was a good show - more or less - but I much prefer the makeup shows.   Paul Stanley was... weird without the makeup.  Lots of swearing, more crude, but without the danger.   It wasn't really the good time, fun-loving larger-than-life circus Kiss of the makeup shows.