Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 240366 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #1645 on: March 09, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »
Sounds like a good time King. I think Eric is coming here but I won’t be in town when he does.

Nothin new here, I’m just waiting for lunch time so I can hit up my favorite deli.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1646 on: March 09, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
One of my oldest friends is getting married in June and I am the best man. As a gift, I wanted to put together a really classy poker set for him as he currently has/uses my old secondary set.

I ordered 500, 14 gram clay chips with specific patterns and denominations for this custom set. The chips come in sleeves of 25. My package came heavily damaged, and in my email to the company I said something close to the following; 7 of my x25 count sleeves broke open during transit and some chips fell out of the hole in the box. I am short x4 of the $100 chips, and x10 of the $500 chips (14 chips total).

After nearly two weeks of going back and forth (the initial support guy I dealt with got the flu and ghosted) I received a confirmation email last night saying my replacements have been shipped out. As a replacement, they're sending me;
- 7 rolls of the $25 chips
- 4 rolls of the $100 chips
- 10 rolls of the $500 chips

They appear to be sending me 525 replacement chips when only 14 were missing from my original order of 500. This is usually the type of thing I'd be honest about, but I'm having a hard time wanting to reach back out to this company. The second time I called them I had to deal with a really grumpy guy that couldn't speak English well (this is a US based company), and this happened as a result.

The extra chips are kind of useless seeing as the wooden case I got as part of the gift only holds 500 chips, and I already have a set of my own. Granted, these new chips are way nicer than the ones I have, so I might just order a few extra rolls and make myself a nice set as well.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:59:46 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1647 on: March 09, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
Yea, I think going back and trying to sort that out for thier benefit isn't worth it for you and maybe not even for them since the shipping costs back and maybe their own time spent on understanding the situation just isn't worth it.

Yesterday I went to McDonalds drive through for breakfast and my local McD has a two lane drive through the merges before you pay.  The guy in one lane ordered after me yet proceeded to cut me off in the merge point.  I didn't resist, jsut figured whatever.  I pay and realize that I paid only 1/3 of what I was supposed to.  Then I see the guy in front of me getting what looks like my food.  It  becomes obvious his cutting me off lead to him paying for and receiving my larger order.  The guy didn't say anything even though his order was for one sandwich alone, mine was for two and a coffee and orange juice.  The guy didn't say anything probably because he thought he was getting free stuff.  He paid for it that's for sure.  I pull up to the pick up window and explain what happened and told them i'd pay my difference, but they let me go with my original order and only paying for what they other guy ordered.  Shit happens.  The honest person walked out with the better deal.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1648 on: March 09, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »
People are the worst.

Funny how that's always relevant. :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1649 on: March 09, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
I definitely have a conscience about this kind of stuff - I try to always give back wrong change, whether it benefits me or not, etc. - because while I don't literally believe in "karma" as it's usually presented, I do believe we reap the energies we sow, and besides, selfishly, it makes me feel better.   But having said that, in dealing with businesses, I've sort of rationalized the difference between "honest human mistake" and what you might call "benevolent customer service".  I certainly am not going to let a cashier take the hit to his/her tray because of a miscount in change; I can help him/her with that.  But for example, I got a wrong CD once from a vendor on Discogs.  When I contacted him about it, he acknowledged it, gave the refund, and said "keep the original disk".  And I did, without compunction.  I suppose I could have done him a solid and sent it back anyway, but he's a businessman, he can make that decision.

If I was in your spot, I would try to figure out if it was a mistake, or if it was "customer service" (I don't think you said, but it also depends on how much the difference between 525 and 14 is; if they are $7.50 a chip, I'm probably calling them.  If it's $0.10 a chip, not a shot.)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1650 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
I definitely have a conscience about this kind of stuff - I try to always give back wrong change, whether it benefits me or not, etc. - because while I don't literally believe in "karma" as it's usually presented, I do believe we reap the energies we sow, and besides, selfishly, it makes me feel better.   But having said that, in dealing with businesses, I've sort of rationalized the difference between "honest human mistake" and what you might call "benevolent customer service".  I certainly am not going to let a cashier take the hit to his/her tray because of a miscount in change; I can help him/her with that.  But for example, I got a wrong CD once from a vendor on Discogs.  When I contacted him about it, he acknowledged it, gave the refund, and said "keep the original disk".  And I did, without compunction.  I suppose I could have done him a solid and sent it back anyway, but he's a businessman, he can make that decision.

If I was in your spot, I would try to figure out if it was a mistake, or if it was "customer service" (I don't think you said, but it also depends on how much the difference between 525 and 14 is; if they are $7.50 a chip, I'm probably calling them.  If it's $0.10 a chip, not a shot.)

They're $0.31 per chip. The chips by themselves were $155 dollars before shipping. I bought the case, the timer, the buttons, and the card decks elsewhere.

This was 100% due to a breakdown in communication between the customer service department and the warehouse. In my original email I included a picture of the damaged box, a picture of the box open with a bunch of lose chips at the bottom, and then all the chips colored out next to the invoice. In both the email and on the invoice I was very specific about how many of which chips I was missing, and provided photographic evidence of it as well.

I could post the original reach out email once I'm home tonight.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1651 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
I'm kinda of the belief that it's not my job to fix a mistake made in my favour.  If it's simple enough for me to correct (someone gives me a $20 in change when I should've only gotten $10), I'm honest about it.  I'm with Stadler in his approach - I'm not going out of my way (or out of my pocket) to help someone rectify an error they made on my business.

Good deal for you Bri.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: March 10, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »
What a fucking suck-ass start to the day.  5:20am ... eldest dog barking to be let out cuz the fucker wouldn't get off his ass at midnight to go for a whiz before bedtime.  6:25am... said dog is now whining to be fed - had to get up and put him in his place, which he could tell by the pace of my footsteps he was in trouble, and slinked ashamedly to his pillow.  7:30am, I finally get up to feed them and brew coffee... oh wait, coffee maker sez "fuck you".  It's on the fritz.  Had to go to Timmy's for a couple of coffees, and now have to go coffee-maker shopping - most of what I see online is crap.

So far, Saturday can go fuck itself.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1653 on: March 10, 2018, 07:32:28 AM »
Fuck. Bad start there Chad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: March 10, 2018, 09:12:46 AM »

Yeah... and four stores later, no one has a decent coffee machine.  Found one online at BestBuy (exact same model we have right now), so I'm going down to that store to get it.  Not the way I intended to burn my Saturday morning.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: March 10, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
The gf booked an airbnb in Cape May for the evening, we went to an alpacca farm and just did a tour of Cape May Brewing Co, which was really cool. Now enjoying a flight together.  :yarr

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1656 on: March 10, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »

Yeah... and four stores later, no one has a decent coffee machine.  Found one online at BestBuy (exact same model we have right now), so I'm going down to that store to get it.  Not the way I intended to burn my Saturday morning.

Get a French press.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: March 10, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »
The gf booked an airbnb in Cape May for the evening, we went to an alpacca farm and just did a tour of Cape May Brewing Co, which was really cool. Now enjoying a flight together.  :yarr

I'm not sure I can trust her! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1658 on: March 10, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
  while I don't literally believe in "karma" as it's usually presented, I do believe we reap the energies we sow, 

WUT?? It's the same fucking thing!!!  :lol

Don't try and confuse us! That's bad karma. Or energy... ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: March 10, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
  while I don't literally believe in "karma" as it's usually presented, I do believe we reap the energies we sow, 

WUT?? It's the same fucking thing!!!  :lol

Don't try and confuse us! That's bad karma. Or energy... ;D

Stadler's motto - if you can't convince 'em ... confuse 'em.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1660 on: March 10, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
I see you have a new sig.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: March 10, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »
I see you have a new sig.  :lol

For the moment.  ;)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: March 11, 2018, 07:34:00 AM »
Morning gang. Lost an hour today, feels like my day has been thrown off.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: March 11, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »
Morning Reap.  I was so gassed last night I went to bed at 930pm.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1664 on: March 11, 2018, 07:40:19 AM »
Morning! I went to bed really early at 3:30am because I was super tired, then woke up at a stupidly early am hour and couldn't get back to sleep, so I'm already tired.

And Reap, I couldn't sign in to Twitch on my laptop today because of that stupid two factor authentication where I used your number thingy, and I couldn't disable it because that also requires your number thingy. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Morning Blob. I have too many passwordsthese days to remember.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: March 11, 2018, 07:55:27 AM »
I have way to many as well, mainly from my job. My corporate iPad, blackberry, laptop all require a different set of 8 character length passwords changed every 90 days. It's a huge pain in the ass especially since I only use my work blackberry once a month and my ipad only for software releases.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: March 11, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »
I have way to many as well, mainly from my job. My corporate iPad, blackberry, laptop all require a different set of 8 character length passwords changed every 90 days. It's a huge pain in the ass especially since I only use my work blackberry once a month and my ipad only for software releases.

Dear lord, THIS!!!  Bugs the crap out of my that my company doesn't have everything linked to a SSO.  Now that I just passed 90 days on the job, I'm unsure which systems are taking my new password, and which are still on the original one I setup.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: March 11, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
lol we have this too. We have an encryption at the boot of the BIOS, the issue is I'll change my SSO password on my laptop and it'll never update the BIOS encryption password so a month down the road I'm trying to scramble to try and remember what my old password is.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1669 on: March 11, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »

Dear lord, THIS!!!  Bugs the crap out of my that my company doesn't have everything linked to a SSO.  Now that I just passed 90 days on the job, I'm unsure which systems are taking my new password, and which are still on the original one I setup.

I just go one number higher with each update. Let's say for example my original password was "Authenticate.". My password now after 3.5 years is "Authenticate.14".

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: March 11, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
Ahh lol I've tried that but it checked for too many of the same characters, it's a real motherfucker.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1671 on: March 11, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: March 11, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »

I just go one number higher with each update. Let's say for example my original password was "Authenticate.". My password now after 3.5 years is "Authenticate.14".

Yea, that's what I do.  Also my company made a new policy that if your password is 12 or more characters then you only have to change it once a year so I went that route with a number in the middle of the password that I keep updating every time.  And luckily we have SSO tied to everything so I only need one PW.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1673 on: March 12, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »
GE was truly SSO:  one password, and I, like some here, just increased one number each time.   My new company is nominally "SSO", but I still have about five different passwords, with different protocols, and it's obnoxious.   Ironically, in my view, it's LESS secure, since I have no choice but to write them down, carry them with me... it's really just a matter of finding my post-it and BOOM.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: March 12, 2018, 07:17:57 AM »
I use Password Keeper.  So if anyone can crack my password there, I'm fucked 8 ways to Sunday.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »
I use Password Keeper.  So if anyone can crack my password there, I'm fucked 8 ways to Sunday.

Morning. Is that an app Chad?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: March 12, 2018, 07:37:17 AM »

Yup... on my phone, web-based, sync's across any device.  Allows me to share specific folders with people (eg, jingle.kids ... I can track their passwords for them, but not grant them access to all of mine).  It's called KeeperSecurity.  $30/year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: March 12, 2018, 07:39:18 AM »

Yup... on my phone, web-based, sync's across any device.  Allows me to share specific folders with people (eg, jingle.kids ... I can track their passwords for them, but not grant them access to all of mine).  It's called KeeperSecurity.  $30/year.

Mmnnnn.  I might look into this.  Thanks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1678 on: March 12, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Happy Birthday Joe!! 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: March 12, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
Happy Birthday Joe!!

Thank you Brian!  The big 50.