Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 236392 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #4795 on: February 18, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »
Fuck me... I don't even think I could do 7 hours of work in a row!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4796 on: February 18, 2019, 08:30:08 AM »
Damn Brian, that's beyond crazy.

Told myself I was going to get a good night's sleep last night, then I ended up playing Overwatch until 3:45am instead. Oops :lol

Already started in on a brewday, and then I need to log in at about 1 for an easy half day of work from home.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4797 on: February 18, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
Are you out of your mind Brian? 

I'm out of my money  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4798 on: February 18, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
 :lol

There's a balance to life.  I get OT.  I took it all the time but not 7 days.  You can't function after a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4799 on: February 18, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
I'm blobbing today, we have the day off and I'm super thankful I'm not on call

Blob with Blob.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4800 on: February 18, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »
I'm blobbing today, we have the day off and I'm super thankful I'm not on call

Blob with Blob.

And talk like Norm McDonald to each other.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4801 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:23 AM »
:lol

There's a balance to life.  I get OT.  I took it all the time but not 7 days.  You can't function after a while.

Tell me about it, that was me last week.  Money is not worth 48 straight days of work IMO. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4802 on: February 18, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Brian, you be cray cray.

Speaking of work, I am really wishing I would have called in sick today. I've been sick for a week... but decided I want to save a sick day today.

We had someone die on the property last night, an attempted burglary, and I apparently have to meet with a bunch of people (including the guy who passed away... awkward) for some walk through today. I literally rolled out of bed this morning, brushed my teeth, and went to work. I look like shit. Oh well.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4803 on: February 18, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
I wouldn't be working the hours if it wasn't necessary, believe me  :lol I'm a very firm believer in work/life balance, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4804 on: February 18, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
I wouldn't be working the hours if it wasn't necessary, believe me  :lol I'm a very firm believer in work/life balance, but it's just not in the cards right now.

Put the OT towards your car's property taxes :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4805 on: February 18, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »

I don't get overtime. Mon-Friday is my big boy job, and Saturdays and Sundays I'm working a kitchen gig that pays about a third of what I make in corporate. It's the complete opposite of overtime   :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4806 on: February 18, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
Putting that lettuce to good use?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4807 on: February 18, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »
I wish. That's pretty much dried up as an idea. For the second winter in a row, we've been unable to sustain growth and quality. It's just too cold. And with out proper/dedicated facility, there's no way to do it const effectively.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4808 on: February 18, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »
That's shitty. I dreamed of a day when I could say "I'm eating a Chino Salad."

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4809 on: February 18, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
Same. I was hoping everyone could get a little taste of my salad.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4810 on: February 18, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »

I don't get overtime. Mon-Friday is my big boy job, and Saturdays and Sundays I'm working a kitchen gig that pays about a third of what I make in corporate. It's the complete opposite of overtime   :lol

Holy shit I didn’t catch that it was 48 straight days of work!!! Is there any end in sight?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4811 on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »

Holy shit I didn’t catch that it was 48 straight days of work!!! Is there any end in sight?

Not at the moment. Unless I get a $22K+ promotion, I'm thinking at minimum another year-ish. I mean, I get 5 weeks of PTO and 8 paid holidays, so I'll be able to take time off, but I'm saving those days for better weather.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4812 on: February 18, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »

Bummer that your salad idea got tossed
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4813 on: February 18, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »
How big of a carbon rock are you saving up for?!?!?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4814 on: February 18, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »

Nice! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4815 on: February 18, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »

Let's just say that the potential carbon rock recipient is the sole reason I'm working these hours, and it's got nothing to do with buying a ring.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4816 on: February 18, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »
Dang Chino well I hope everything is good, I hope you get a break soon!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4817 on: February 18, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »

Let's just say that the potential carbon rock recipient is the sole reason I'm working these hours, and it's got nothing to do with buying a ring.

I can think of two possible alternatives, but sense that it's none of our business, so (being 100% serious here) I won't ask.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4818 on: February 18, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »
Smoking a cigar and having a drink to end the night tonight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4819 on: February 18, 2019, 08:22:55 PM »

I see what you did there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4820 on: February 18, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »

While I agree with work/life balance - and fully disclose that I didn't always adhere to that in my life - I have to say, it's sometimes an ebb and flow.  Meaning, the balance can't always be complete every day of the week.  I know as recently as eight years ago (holy fuck... it was EIGHT years ago already) I did a year or so driving 350 miles on Sunday night/Monday morning, staying in an apartment during the week, and driving 350 miles back on Friday to see my kid.   It had lasting consequences - it essentially ended my marriage - but in hindsight, the marriage was going to end one way or another, and it was something that set me up for where I am today (I've got a good gig, knock wood, and I have 12,000 posts to prove it. ;) ).  In that year, my "balance" was way out of whack.   WAY out of whack. 

Unless and until it interferes with normal functioning, or starts to undermine the goal you have set for yourself, then only you, Brian, can decide what's too much and when to say when.   

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4821 on: February 19, 2019, 06:52:57 AM »
Ugh, home sick with a stomach bug.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4822 on: February 19, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
Bummer axe, I hope you feel better soon. Are you still brewing btw?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4823 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:57 AM »

Don't mess with burnout, unless there is no other option.  I was in the position where I basically had to work 70 hours/week for around 18 months, basically trying to keep the plane in the air on multiple programs (and so it was really fucking stressful), I did damage to myself, my health, and yeah, my marriage.  And I hit a point where I (metaphorically) crashed into the wall, and basically shut down.  Perhaps the warning was when I got my blood pressure taken at an allergy appointment, and the doc freaked out (top # was 147, I think, and it's normally right around 120).  I'm healthier on the other side of it, but I have a limit of ~50 hours/week, after which my brain just says "fuck it".
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4824 on: February 19, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »

Don't mess with burnout, unless there is no other option.  I was in the position where I basically had to work 70 hours/week for around 18 months, basically trying to keep the plane in the air on multiple programs (and so it was really fucking stressful), I did damage to myself, my health, and yeah, my marriage.  And I hit a point where I (metaphorically) crashed into the wall, and basically shut down.  Perhaps the warning was when I got my blood pressure taken at an allergy appointment, and the doc freaked out (top # was 147, I think, and it's normally right around 120).  I'm healthier on the other side of it, but I have a limit of ~50 hours/week, after which my brain just says "fuck it".

Luckily for me, the hours are spread across two completely different jobs. My M-F in my cubicle is mentally taxing, but Sat and Sun is just mindless kitchen work. I just crank some music, grab a knife, and go. If I was doing the mentally taxing stuff 7 days a week, I would have burned out by now for sure.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4825 on: February 19, 2019, 05:17:47 PM »

Thanks Reaper. Feeling a little bit better, but probably going to have to burn another sick day tomorrow. And yeah, I still brew beer and/or make mead a couple times a month. Just ordered a bunch of frozen red and black currants last night for an upcoming batch of mead.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4826 on: February 19, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »

Luckily for me, the hours are spread across two completely different jobs. My M-F in my cubicle is mentally taxing, but Sat and Sun is just mindless kitchen work. I just crank some music, grab a knife, and go. If I was doing the mentally taxing stuff 7 days a week, I would have burned out by now for sure.

What do you do in the Kitchen? There is something to be said about doing a job that require little though, I remember in college I would just zone out and it almost become like a meditation.

Thanks Reaper. Feeling a little bit better, but probably going to have to burn another sick day tomorrow. And yeah, I still brew beer and/or make mead a couple times a month. Just ordered a bunch of frozen red and black currants last night for an upcoming batch of mead.

I didn't know you made mead, I haven't had mead in years. . . .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4827 on: February 19, 2019, 07:59:53 PM »

What do you do in the Kitchen? There is something to be said about doing a job that require little though, I remember in college I would just zone out and it almost become like a meditation.

Is it autumnal?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4828 on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »

Yeah, not nearly as long as beer, but I've been making meads for a couple years now. Much easier to throw together a batch of mead than one of beer (though honey can get damn expensive). I started out making traditional meads, which are wine strength in alcohol and typically still, but I've had a lot more fun lately making beer strength versions that I keg and carbonate. I've done a ginger/lime version that I call the meadscow mule a couple times and it's one of my favorite things I make.

edit: and Stadler, those commercials drive me up a wall :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4829 on: February 19, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »

Yeah, not nearly as long as beer, but I've been making meads for a couple years now. Much easier to throw together a batch of mead than one of beer (though honey can get damn expensive). I started out making traditional meads, which are wine strength in alcohol and typically still, but I've had a lot more fun lately making beer strength versions that I keg and carbonate. I've done a ginger/lime version that I call the meadscow mule a couple times and it's one of my favorite things I make.

edit: and Stadler, those commercials drive me up a wall :lol

Brother, I really want to try that ginger/lime mead.  That's right up my alley.