Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 235461 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #4690 on: February 08, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
What's the culture like over there? I know you're under new ownership so it may be hard to read but is there always a push to move forward? Are there other opportunities within the company?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4691 on: February 08, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
I would say our culture was pretty awesome, but now... really hard to say.  Most stuff hasn't changed so there's not a big reason, yet, to feel negative towards the new leadership...but there definitely are peolpe who aren't happy.  Essentially going from a private company to being owned by a huge corporation has really negatively impacted a lot of people.  They simply just don't like who we work for even though they haven't tried to change our culture, yet. 

Essentially one of the biggest taglines here was "make the internet better" and part of that was being for net neutrality, in fact our previous ownership was VERY big on that, and yet they agreed to sell to someone fighting to end net neutrality.  It rubs people the wrong way. 

There are opportunities to move around but none seem to fit me, and management doesn't seem concerned atm with moving people forward even though that was a large part of the culture, I think right now its "grow grow grow" and don't worry about anything else type of mentality here.  This job doesn't suck by any means, we have some awesome perks, but my group seems to only be growing in workload and not in size so I don't see how I'll ever move up into management, my boss has no where to go either at this point.  I also have little desire to do my boss's job anyway. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4692 on: February 08, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
Hopefully the workload stays in check with the pay, there is also work/life balance to think about it too. From what I've seen on the forums you've been traveling a lot too. Do you feel burned out at all (this trip aside)?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4693 on: February 08, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »
Hopefully the workload stays in check with the pay, there is also work/life balance to think about it too. From what I've seen on the forums you've been traveling a lot too. Do you feel burned out at all (this trip aside)?

Yea, burn out is a real issue and I'm definitely going through it, not just now, but felt it a lot last year too.  In a few weeks I hit my 5 year anniversary and that entitles me to a 3 week sabatical to use within a year, the idea is to help burnout by year 5.  I need it for sure and that's also a big reason why I want to make sure I stick around for a bit longer.  I'm not sure when I'll get the chance for 3 weeks off with pay again.   

I've had the work/life balance discussion with my boss a long time ago after I started and within my first year was already feeling burnt out.  Things got better after that discussion, I essentially said I won't work like that and my boss heard and made changes (hired someone for Europe).  I've been telling him we need another body for a year now and it seems like he isn't listening which is only making me feel worse about this place.  Every other group is hiring like crazy except ours.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4694 on: February 09, 2019, 03:21:11 AM »
Well, going to bed at 9:30 last night because I was exhausted and starting to get a little sick the past few days backfired.  Woke up just after 4am, and could not get back to sleep.  So, I might as well DTF.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4695 on: February 09, 2019, 03:33:55 AM »
3:32 am here Chad. I've got the same issue. Now have the terrible decision to coffee or not to coffee...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4696 on: February 09, 2019, 04:22:50 AM »
3:32 am here Chad. I've got the same issue. Now have the terrible decision to coffee or not to coffee...

Coffee.... definitely coffee here.  Once I'm awake after about 5-6 hours sleep, I'm fucked.  CAN NOT get back to sleep.  I gotta go get jingle.son from school at noon-ish (it's only a 45 minute drive), so an afternoon nap is definitely in order.  Otherwise, it'll be groundhog day
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4697 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:26 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4698 on: February 09, 2019, 06:30:49 AM »
Morning guys

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4699 on: February 09, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
Starting to feel better.  I slept until 740am.  Haven't done that since hanging with Chad in Montreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4700 on: February 09, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
I should have logged on early this morning as I couldnt sleep either.  Had cramps all over my body throughout the night.  I must be getting very dehydrated at this elevation and from doing all this work.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: February 09, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »
Starting to feel better.  I slept until 740am.  Haven't done that since hanging with Chad in Montreal.

I haven't been following this thread but have you been sick King?

I should have logged on early this morning as I couldnt sleep either.  Had cramps all over my body throughout the night.  I must be getting very dehydrated at this elevation and from doing all this work.

Is there anything you can do to help with high altitude?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4702 on: February 09, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »
Drink lots of water. I usually don't get this bad coming out here, usually just end up needing chapstick for my dry lips.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4703 on: February 09, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »
When I was in montana I remember having one hell of a headache. My Florida sea level body couldn't take it :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4704 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
 :lol I really had a hard time when I went to the Rocky Mountain national park.  Once I got that high, I really wasn't having a good time with my huffing and puffing breathing.

One of my friends came out to Vail once and said he had the worst experience of his life with elevation sickness.  I don't think I have really experienced that before, other than being out of breathe when doing physical activity and having dry lips/nose.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4705 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »

I haven't been following this thread but have you been sick King?

Is there anything you can do to help with high altitude?

Caught the flu. I had a 102.6 temp Wednesday.   Finally feeling better today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4706 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:46 AM »

I exhausted you.  :eyebrows:

So, I just had an interesting last 20 minutes of my life that I want back.  This is a quasi-long boring story, but I got nothing better to do at the moment.  I started to get that scratchy feeling in my throat a few days ago, so I decided to mix up some OJ from concentrate.  We never - NEVER - have OJ in the fridge, but had a can leftover in the freezer from when jingle.daughter went thru an OJ phase when se was like 6.  I finally got to the last glass this morning, so I just emptied the jug into my glass, but didn't want to drink a whole (tall) glass.  No problem, I'll just put the glass back in the fridge, at the back so it doesn't get accidentally tipped over.  As I'm gingerly sliding it back - on the top shelf no less - it catches something, and tips over.  About 20oz of OJ all over the fridge.

1/2 roll of Bounty later, I think I got most of it sopped up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4707 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06:10 AM »
Well this day can only downhill from here for you Chad. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4708 on: February 10, 2019, 07:23:07 AM »
So you had 12 y/o frozen OJ concentrate in your freezer??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4709 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:15 AM »
 :lol

Isnt it great when you specifically try to avoid something and it still happens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4710 on: February 10, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »
So you had 12 y/o frozen OJ concentrate in your freezer??

Yup.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4711 on: February 10, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »
Where's our local monster truck fan?  I had previously looked and saw no concerts of interest (besides EJ but I knew I wouldn't be able to make those) while I was here in denver, but never looked at other events.  Turns out at 1pm today there is Monster Jam, which I guess is a monster truck show here at the Pepsi Center.  I'm off today and probably feeling the best I had all week since yesterday was a light work day followed by a relaxing evening in.  I'm thinking of going since tickets are cheap and it's something to do that I've never seen before. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4712 on: February 10, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »
I haven't been to a monster truck rally in years but it was a good time when I did go. If tickets are cheap I'd go check it out, grab some cheap beers and watch huge trucks drive around.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4713 on: February 11, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »
Where's our local monster truck fan?  I had previously looked and saw no concerts of interest (besides EJ but I knew I wouldn't be able to make those) while I was here in denver, but never looked at other events.  Turns out at 1pm today there is Monster Jam, which I guess is a monster truck show here at the Pepsi Center.  I'm off today and probably feeling the best I had all week since yesterday was a light work day followed by a relaxing evening in.  I'm thinking of going since tickets are cheap and it's something to do that I've never seen before.

Yo. Resident MJ fan checking in. My credentials include over 35 shows in the last 18 years, 5 of which have been the World Finals in Las Vegas. Monster Jam has turned to shit since Feld Entertainment bought out the franchise. The shows are still fun, but they are a shadow of their former selves. The smaller "arena" tour is a total snooze fest if you've been following the sport for a while, but they're still a good time if you're just looking for some noise and air time. They used to bring in all kinds of side shows, things like demolition derbies and giant robotic dinosaurs that'd set cars on fire. Now they don't do anything like that. The larger stadium shows are still really entertaining though. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4714 on: February 11, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »
:lol

Isnt it great when you specifically try to avoid something and it still happens

And I specifically love that feeling that - after all your efforts, you KNOW it's happening and you can't do a damn thing to stop it.

True story:  I was selling my house in Georgia, moving up north.  The family had left in the morning, and I had a work meeting  the next day, so I stayed behind.  House was empty, and my (then) loving wife left me a four pack of Guiness and a hoagie/grinder/subway in the sink with some ice.  I had a pillow, change of clothes and a book, so I was ALL FRIGGIN' SET!   I got home from work, and before I hunkered down, I figured, while it's daylight, I'll make one last tour of the house. Nothing in the gargage or first floor, nothing on the second floor, and I figured, what the heck I'll check the walk-up attic (it was a staircase up and about half the attic was "floored" to store stuff and facilitate storage on the AC unit.  So I walk up... and I see a blue candle that was in the dormer window (it was a thing back then in celebration of the police, and since my bro and his girlfriend were both police officers in the county, I put one out).  So I thought to myself, "Self, that's a perfectly good electric candle AND extension cord, you better get it."   So I walked off the "floor" and onto a joist, thinking, "be careful, you have dress shoes on and you DO NOT want to fall through the ceiling".   Of course, then I thought "No one falls through the ceiling, relax.  Worst that happens is you pop a sheetrock nail."   I got about halfway to the window and my dress shoes slipped off the wood.  I knew I was in trouble even before I started to descend... <That feeling!!> and sure enough, both feet plunged through the insulation and sheetrock into the room below.  I'm "sitting" there - straddling the 2 by 10, both feet hanging into the room below which was now littered with pieces of insulation, sheet rock and dust.  Long story short(er) I spent the entire night going to Home Depot getting supplies (only stuff I could throw away or carry on a plane) and trying to patch that ceiling.  I was up until about 2:30 am doing it, and while I'm pretty handy with tools (and have done a fair amount of sheetrocking and taping) this was a disaster.  I get out of my meeting the next day and there's a call from my real estate agent:  "Stadler, what the hell happened in the guest bedroom??"   We had to call a contractor and redo my work before closing.  That was 17 years ago and I still get made fun of over that.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4715 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:17 AM »
Son of a bitch!  I'll take a spilled glass of OJ over that.  Dayum.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4716 on: February 11, 2019, 07:36:37 AM »

Yo. Resident MJ fan checking in. My credentials include over 35 shows in the last 18 years, 5 of which have been the World Finals in Las Vegas. Monster Jam has turned to shit since Feld Entertainment bought out the franchise. The shows are still fun, but they are a shadow of their former selves. The smaller "arena" tour is a total snooze fest if you've been following the sport for a while, but they're still a good time if you're just looking for some noise and air time. They used to bring in all kinds of side shows, things like demolition derbies and giant robotic dinosaurs that'd set cars on fire. Now they don't do anything like that. The larger stadium shows are still really entertaining though. 

Was looking for your thoughts, interesting.  I had a fun time yesterday.  Probably because I never experienced it, I thought it was really cool but definitely as you said, there wasn't anything too crazy.  It kind of felt like a toned down wwe show too with the way the trucks taunted each other and one time a guy flew off the small ATV but kind of looked staged.  I guess it's really meant for kids though as that was 50% of the crowd with the other being their parents.  I did sit next to a milf that seemed way more interested in talking to me than her husband  :lol I also enjoyed a few beers so I guess that added to my enjoyment of the show.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4717 on: February 11, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »

Was looking for your thoughts, interesting.  I had a fun time yesterday.  Probably because I never experienced it, I thought it was really cool but definitely as you said, there wasn't anything too crazy.  It kind of felt like a toned down wwe show too with the way the trucks taunted each other and one time a guy flew off the small ATV but kind of looked staged.  I guess it's really meant for kids though as that was 50% of the crowd with the other being their parents.  I did sit next to a milf that seemed way more interested in talking to me than her husband  :lol I also enjoyed a few beers so I guess that added to my enjoyment of the show.

Nice  :hat

Yeah, my gripe has been that it has turned more into a circus show on wheels. It used to be a true motor sport. The drivers owned the trucks. They drove them from show to show. Their time was required to repair them when they broke, and the fix came out of their bank account. There was a true feeling of competition because it was about the driver and the machine he built. Now, Feld, with the exception of a few old fan favorites (Avenger, Titan, Overkill Evolution) will only run the trucks they own at their events. The drivers are not mechanics, but rather hired guns (it's no coincidence that every female driver hired in the last 5 years is an 8.5 or above). They get flown from show to show to take pics with the fans and drive. That's it. Like you said, I'm looking at this from the viewpoint of a 30 year old man. At the end of the day, the show is meant for kids.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4718 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »
I had a convo with the milf about the one female driver, scoobey doo, and how we were surprised there was a female at all, but she was also terrible.  Zombie won the event and seemed to be a big fan favorite.  I don't think I'm going to follow this, but I can't complain, at $30 bucks for a good view and a couple hours of unique entertainment, I thought it was a good day.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4719 on: February 11, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
I had a convo with the milf about the one female driver, scoobey doo, and how we were surprised there was a female at all, but she was also terrible.  Zombie won the event and seemed to be a big fan favorite.  I don't think I'm going to follow this, but I can't complain, at $30 bucks for a good view and a couple hours of unique entertainment, I thought it was a good day.

Who was piloting Scooby Doo? Was it Myranda Cozad?

http://americancarsamericangirls.com/show/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Myranda-C.jpg

Yeah, she's absolutely garbage behind the wheel. Having never actually driven a Monster Truck before, I'm 100% confident I could perform at least on her level in competition, and she's been at this like 4 solid years now. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4720 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:40 AM »
Yup that was her although she looks way better in those pics than in the driving suit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4721 on: February 11, 2019, 09:25:29 AM »
Belongs in the "mildly irritating" thread, I'm sure, but the annoying belief that "throw a hot chick in there" and men will just suspend disbelief and sign up for anything.  I get that's the stereotype, and "sex sells" and all that, but c'mon.  Especially car guys/gear heads.   I think the general response is more in line with Chino's than "hey forget the car, look at HER, man!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4722 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
If they didnt have a picture on the screens of the driver, I would have had no idea it was a female.  Or she had one an event and did the after interview. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4723 on: February 11, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
So,

Yesterday, some "kids" (I say kids but they were probably my age) decided to try to steal a boat at work yesterday. 30' boat. Keys LEFT IN THE IGNITION (by the broker, it's got a huge FOR SALE sign on it). They didn't realize it was tied to the dock. They tried to pull away from the dock, got stopped by the rope, and then put it in reverse to try to go back and untie it. Fuckers wound up backing up onto the dock, and then booked it on foot.

This. This is why I hate people. :lol

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4724 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:20 PM »
People suck.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.