Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 236138 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #3570 on: September 20, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
My first was Asylum...which is a way underrated album. Word was that they were banned from Providence or something like that. LIU and Animalyze played Worcester, and that was too far for my parents.

Sat and listened to the WAAF Concert recreation for the LIU show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3571 on: September 20, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
I was grounded for skipping school to see Rush (I met Geddy so it was worth it) and after a month I was able to see Kiss on the Asylum tour.

I got to disagree about Asylum.   It's a weak album by Kiss standards.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3572 on: September 20, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »
Ace's is borderline early progressive hard rock. Lots of changes in the arrangements.

I don't doubt you, bro, you're usually spot on on that kind of thing, but I need to go back and give another listen because I missed that the first 500 times I listened to it.

You've only listened to it 500 times?? You call yourself a fan??

I think things like right before the chorus to Wiped Out make me think that. The solo (holy shit that solo!!) to Snowblind that comes out of nowhere before it returns back to the song. Kind of like the musical break in Endless Sacrifice. I just think it was ingenius to out in a section like that on Snowblind. I just think the compositions were so ahead of the other guys. I mean, Paul's is really good, but I find Ace's way more thoughtful and original.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3573 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:36 PM »
You know what I like about Asylum? It's that I genuinely like the Gene songs. I love Trial By Fire. And Anyway You Slice It and Secretly Cruel kick ass.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3574 on: September 20, 2018, 08:05:57 PM »
Asylum is weak but not as weak as Crazy Nights.  I'm with TAC, though; I love the Gene songs on all those early non-makeup records:  "Not For The Innocent", "Dance All Over Your Face" (what a Kiss title), "Murder In High Heels", "Trial By Fire"... 

I really am going to go back and re-listen to Ace's record.  It's not like it's BAD, I really like it a lot.  Paul's might make my top 20 list though.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3575 on: September 20, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »
Paul's is fantastic to be sure.  I just think that Ace's is so original. And compositional underrated.

Can't say I'm a fan of Dance All Over Your Face, but I do love And On The 8th Day.

I also love Naked City.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3576 on: September 21, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »
Pretty cool

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/study-heavy-metal-music-is-inclusive-and-governed-by-rules-of-etiquette/

I'd pretty much agree.  There's a stereotype of metal being violent and having a bad crowd, but it can't be further from the truth (for the most part).  I got say I totally see the inclusiveness not just here at DTF, but experienced it first hand at ProgPower how everyone is just "friends" in some way without even knowing each other.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3577 on: September 21, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
I have to say, since about mid-way through my first marriage, I've taken to going to shows mostly by myself.  My ex-wife wasn't really into my music, and while (at least early on) she would take one for the team, she'd usually get bored and either talk the whole way through, or want to leave early. 

I enjoy it, and it has led to some fun adventures (getting up on stage with Gene Simmons; having a smoke - well, I didn't but he did - with Gary Barden, etc.).

I suppose it helps that I will talk to any one at any time, but at most shows I meet at least one person that is reasonably cool and open to talking.  I suppose it's initially hard for some to accept the "single guy by himself pounding vodkas" but it hasn't been like that in my experience.  I think it also helps that I try pretty hard not to be a dick.

(That didn't come out right; it's not like I have to TRY not to be a dick, and it's not hard not to be a dick, it's just that I'm conscious of not being "that guy" during a show.  That is, not spilling drinks, cutting people off, talking through the set, etc.)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3578 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
That was a great article. I applaud that lady for doing the study. Just being at ProgPower really showed how music can bring people together. But then, its the type of muaic as well. A plain straight mainstream metal show doesnt have the same type of fans that ProgPower has. ProgPower actually was the most friendliest show I've ever been too, everyone I talked to were nice and welcoming. If I had more cash with me, guaranteed I would've bought people a lot of beers and shots.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3579 on: September 21, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
I have to say, since about mid-way through my first marriage, I've taken to going to shows mostly by myself.  My ex-wife wasn't really into my music, and while (at least early on) she would take one for the team, she'd usually get bored and either talk the whole way through, or want to leave early. 

I enjoy it, and it has led to some fun adventures (getting up on stage with Gene Simmons; having a smoke - well, I didn't but he did - with Gary Barden, etc.).

I suppose it helps that I will talk to any one at any time, but at most shows I meet at least one person that is reasonably cool and open to talking.  I suppose it's initially hard for some to accept the "single guy by himself pounding vodkas" but it hasn't been like that in my experience.  I think it also helps that I try pretty hard not to be a dick.

(That didn't come out right; it's not like I have to TRY not to be a dick, and it's not hard not to be a dick, it's just that I'm conscious of not being "that guy" during a show.  That is, not spilling drinks, cutting people off, talking through the set, etc.)

You and me both.  My gf enjoys concerts with me, but her taste in music doesn't expand into a lot of the metal I like so those are solo shows (including things like travelling for ProgPower).  I've found over time to enjoy it more and more, just more freedom and I almost always end up hanging with some strangers for a bit either for a conversation or a smoke.  I've ran into people who I've met at concerts again too.  It's really a community and it is quite large that goes unnoticed by the general population. 

I was pretty reserved since I was running on fumes for the Ozzy show last week, but when I saw Alice in Chains I ended up having a lot of people chatting with me.  It's just so fun to talk to random people and hear their story and whatnot, and I find it a lot easier when I travel because if I end up feeling like I came off like an idiot then I can rest assured I will likely not run into them again.  Usually goes with a drink and/or smoke too.  You ask for a lighter and next thing you know you got a new friend.

If I had more cash with me, guaranteed I would've bought people a lot of beers and shots.

I'll remember that for next time  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3580 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »

If I had more cash with me, guaranteed I would've bought people a lot of beers and shots.

I'll remember that for next time  :biggrin:

Let's hope I can go to next years.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3581 on: September 21, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
Where did Rumby go?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: September 21, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »
Where did Rumby go?

He's been a little disenchanted with the forum of late.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3583 on: September 21, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
Where did Rumby go?

Seems this happens to a few long-time DTF'rs every year.  Gone (or hardly active) are Coz, Deb, Rumbo, James, Doc, Scorpion, Dimitrius, Seneca, Prog Snob, Super Dude, Sigz, BlackFloyd, Jackie, I'm sure I'm forgetting some as well ... even Blob hasn't been active much lately.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3584 on: September 21, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
Thats quite a lot of people...I didn't even snap there was that many.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3585 on: September 21, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »
I was totally gone for a few years there before wandering back over. Just happens sometimes.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3586 on: September 21, 2018, 05:25:12 PM »
Where did Rumby go?

Seems this happens to a few long-time DTF'rs every year.  Gone (or hardly active) are Coz, Deb, Rumbo, James, Doc, Scorpion, Dimitrius, Seneca, Prog Snob, Super Dude, Sigz, BlackFloyd, Jackie, I'm sure I'm forgetting some as well ... even Blob hasn't been active much lately.

Also Hef who just kinda left.

But it's cool. I took a few years off as well a few years back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3587 on: September 21, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
Evening fells. Thank god it’s the weekend although I’ll be working at 4am Sunday.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: September 21, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
Good evening from the poconos

The forum definitely has its waves of people which is life

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3589 on: September 21, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
Where did Rumby go?

Also Hef who just kinda left.

But it's cool. I took a few years off as well a few years back.

Told ya I'd forget someone!  Though, it's hard to forget Hef, cuz I see him daily in my FB feed.  Splent took some time away as well, and I've gone MIA for a few months on a few occasions myself.  Seems there's more this year though.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3590 on: September 22, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
Perhaps they left because you came back! ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3591 on: September 22, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
Perhaps they left because you came back! ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3592 on: September 22, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3593 on: September 22, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »
I don't ever see myself ghosting the forum ever. You guys have been  the one constant in my life for almost a decade.

Through failed relationships, depression and almost killing myself, family drama, etc... I've always had you nerds.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: September 22, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »
Bros before married hoes tonight.   Lol

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3595 on: September 23, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »
Never been through this area of the forum, there's always a first time... :lol

I'm staying in Vilnius, Lithuania for the next 5 months as part of a studying program. Any Lithuanian DTFer to share a beer and teach some lietuviškai?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3596 on: September 23, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »
I don't ever see myself ghosting the forum ever. You guys have been  the one constant in my life for almost a decade.

Through failed relationships, depression and almost killing myself, family drama, etc... I've always had you nerds.

I feel the same. Thinking back this forum he been one constant for so much of my life.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3597 on: September 25, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »

I feel the same. Thinking back this forum he been one constant for so much of my life.

We open up a little and everyone leaves :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: September 25, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

we scared them off?

My gf surprised me last night with two tickets to the sold out Alestorm show tonight.  I think she secretly just wants to see them herself.  Pretty pumped since they were probably my favorite set at Progpower.  Now if only the rain can stop so we don't have to be walking NYC in this weather.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3599 on: September 25, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
Awesome.

Confession time: I've never listened to Alestorm. Ever.

Edit: They're a Pirate Metal band???

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3600 on: September 25, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »
Awesome.

Confession time: I've never listened to Alestorm. Ever.

You'll want a beer for this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55CqLc6IR0

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3601 on: September 25, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
DUDE

WHY AM I JUST LEARNING ABOUT THEM!?!

This is fanfuckingtastic!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3602 on: September 25, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

My friend told me about them awhile ago when they opened for Kamelot when Fabio was the temp singer for Kamelot.  I made a big mistake by not going with him to that show.  He told me I would have loved the opener and I did, I got their latest album at the time, enjoyed it and kind of forgot about them.  Then Progpower 19 was announced and I figured I should listen to them again, when I discovered that song (Drink) and just was like, why did I stop following this band?!  Their latest album is fantastic (No Grave but the Sea)

and if you drank too much, here's another song for you called Hangover (it's a cover song, my gf absolutely loves this one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5P5Tz3VH94

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
Good Morning Krusty Krew!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »