Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 236684 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #1260 on: February 01, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
wrt to DT-side, I have a few beefs (AND I'M GONNA TELL YOU ABOUT THEM!)

1) The thing with DT-side is it's often filled with n00bs that bring up topics of discussion that I have seen (here, or with other DT friends) dozens of times.
2) n00bs that don't last.  I'm not overly interested in having the same dialogue, or reading through the same(ish) threads with and from a new set of users every album/tour cycle.  I don't need to read for the 27th time someone who needs to tell us all the reasons why Scarred is a Top 5 song - and I sure as shit know that Blob doesn't want or need that! :lol
3) maturity - I've had too much exposure over the years with immature children - while that's great to see new/young kids as fans of the band, it's not all that interesting to me from a discussion point of view.
3) What Stads said.  If you're not with me, you're against me.  Short-tempered, quick to be agitated.

Yes... I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon (as far as being a DTF poster) in this regard.  I (and others) have earned it.  I came for the DT discussion in 2005; I stay for the community that has evolved past being here for JUST that.

No problem bringing it up Mike... totally fair point/question to make.  And to clarify, for the most part it's the discussion that I rolled my eyes at, not the fans themselves.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: February 01, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
The first thing I ever did on DTF (well, it was the official forum on its last days back then) was post about what DT DVD I should get as I was a new fan.  I can only imagine that had been discussed before, but I enjoyed the feedback I got and I stuck around.  I'd like to think anyone else who may be doing the same name gets the same respect from the people here.  I know that is the case and not being talked about in this discussion, but just wanted to state that as long as some have been around, we were still all new at one point. 

I still think this board is one of the most civilized communities on the internet.  Sure you get some assholes and trolls, but they don't overrun the site and the community here is strong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
The first thing I ever did on DTF (well, it was the official forum on its last days back then) was post about what DT DVD I should get as I was a new fan.  I can only imagine that had been discussed before, but I enjoyed the feedback I got and I stuck around.  I'd like to think anyone else who may be doing the same name gets the same respect from the people here.  I know that is the case and not being talked about in this discussion, but just wanted to state that as long as some have been around, we were still all new at one point. 

I still think this board is one of the most civilized communities on the internet.  Sure you get some assholes and trolls, but they don't overrun the site and the community here is strong.

Agreed... and I'll leave it up to others with more patience to be welcoming of the new(ish) people and discussions on the DT-side.  I'm doing my part to make this a welcoming place by staying away.

Gimee five Blob.

:hifive:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1263 on: February 01, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1264 on: February 01, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
We should have a grumpy old curmudgeon club... or is this it?  :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
We should have a grumpy old curmudgeon club... or is this it?  :)

I think there's an old fogey thread somewhere  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:17 PM »
That's the over 40 thread .   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1267 on: February 01, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
I don't need to read for the 27th time someone who needs to tell us all the reasons why Scarred is a Top 5 song - and I sure as shit know that Blob doesn't want or need that! :lol

Wait..

Are you telling me that

BLOB DOESN'T LIKE SCARRED????????
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: February 01, 2018, 03:03:32 PM »
I don't need to read for the 27th time someone who needs to tell us all the reasons why Scarred is a Top 5 song - and I sure as shit know that Blob doesn't want or need that! :lol

Wait..

Are you telling me that

Seems someone needs a 28th time...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1269 on: February 01, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1270 on: February 01, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »
Wait..

Are you telling me that

Wait..

Are you telling me that

MIKE PORTNOY IS JEWISH???????

Gimee five Blob.

Doing our part by not being a part!

:lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: February 02, 2018, 05:11:52 AM »
Morning dudes

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:00 AM »
:friday:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: February 02, 2018, 06:47:01 AM »
yay for friday

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: February 02, 2018, 06:53:16 AM »
Morning!

:king:

:kingshmeg:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1275 on: February 02, 2018, 06:54:16 AM »
Man, it's one of those Fridays where I can't find an ounce of motivation. I'm sitting at my desk stuck between neutral and reverse.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: February 02, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
Morning, folks.

Mrs. P's dissertation has been accepted by her doctoral committee and her defense has been setup for the 20th of February. The long slog through the labyrinth of academia is nearly over! It looks like we'll be traveling to Boston for the hooding ceremony in May. Champagne will be consumed this weekend.

Now, if Friday would just get out of the way we could get started on the celebrating.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: February 02, 2018, 07:08:02 AM »
Nice, congrats to the Mrs.  :metal

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1278 on: February 02, 2018, 07:09:49 AM »
Man, it's one of those Fridays where I can't find an ounce of motivation. I'm sitting at my desk stuck between neutral and reverse.

Word.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: February 02, 2018, 07:22:36 AM »
Morning, folks.

Mrs. P's dissertation has been accepted by her doctoral committee and her defense has been setup for the 20th of February. The long slog through the labyrinth of academia is nearly over! It looks like we'll be traveling to Boston for the hooding ceremony in May. Champagne will be consumed this weekend.

Now, if Friday would just get out of the way we could get started on the celebrating.

Boston eh?  Maybe a meet up then!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: February 02, 2018, 07:29:43 AM »

That's terrific news Gregg.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: February 02, 2018, 07:37:04 AM »
:friday:

Man I haven't seen that one in a long while  ;D

:riskybiz:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »
Morning, folks.

I'd love that, King.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: February 02, 2018, 08:32:52 AM »
That's terrific news Gregg.

It sure is!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1284 on: February 02, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
No problem bringing it up Mike... totally fair point/question to make.  And to clarify, for the most part it's the discussion that I rolled my eyes at, not the fans themselves.

Good clarification Chad. I apologize if anyone took my questioning the wrong way, I had merely noticed it for a long time and thought I'd mention it yesterday. Probably because I was in a cranky mood yesterday  :lol Our almost 3 year old daughter, who has slept well her whole life has recently decided she doesn't like sleeping anymore and is up constantly at night.  :facepalm:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: February 02, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
Morning, folks.

I'd love that, King.

Gregg, when it gets close to the date let me know and we can set something up.  If my wife is off we can go to dinner in Boston.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: February 02, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »
Joe,

We usually try to stay at The Parker House when we're in Boston, but I think Mrs. P (or should it be Dr. P now) might want to stay closer to North Eastern University this time due to all the meetings she's likely to be involved in. If memory serves, there's a really nice whiskey bar out that way? Near the BMOA?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
Joe,

We usually try to stay at The Parker House when we're in Boston, but I think Mrs. P (or should it be Dr. P now) might want to stay closer to North Eastern University this time due to all the meetings she's likely to be involved in. If memory serves, there's a really nice whiskey bar out that way? Near the BMOA?

Mmmmm... whiskey.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: February 02, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
Let me research!

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1289 on: February 02, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
Howdy all.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: February 04, 2018, 06:54:25 AM »
Good morning everyone. Can't wait for all the bad food that awaits me this evening.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: February 04, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »
I'm making pizza tater tots for our party.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: February 04, 2018, 07:07:00 AM »
That sounds so good, you have a recipe?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: February 04, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »
We're baking, not frying

Whoa, check out this recipe video!
https://i.prypl.com/recipe/tp/recipe/716/view.html?id=716

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1294 on: February 04, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
I'm making pizza tater tots for our party.

Why? What party? :neverusethis:

We're baking,

I bet Cram is as well! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol