Poll

What is the worst song pop song of the 80s?

Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
4 (11.4%)
Kiss - Lick It Up
4 (11.4%)
Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
4 (11.4%)
Prince - Kiss
2 (5.7%)
Starship - We Built This City
6 (17.1%)
Toni Basil - Mickey
8 (22.9%)
Buster Poindexter - Hot Hot Hot
1 (2.9%)
Warrant - Cherry Pie
3 (8.6%)
Phil Collins - Sussudio
2 (5.7%)
Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: August 03, 2023, 08:31:17 PM

Author Topic: The worst pop song of the 80s  (Read 3585 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The worst pop song of the 80s
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »
Come On Eileen is one of my all time favorite 80's Pop songs.

:tup :tup

Fun little pop tune. I love it.  :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
Corey Hart's lame-o "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night" ("So I can... So I can..."  Mofo, please.)

I boycott!

That song is badass.   

Kade, WTF??
That was literally the gayest song of the 80's until Winger came out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
Corey Hart's lame-o "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night" ("So I can... So I can..."  Mofo, please.)

I boycott!

That song is badass.   

Kade, WTF??

*ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
Yeah, but that was gay on purpose! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »

I boycott!

That song is badass.   

Kade, WTF??

I know it's not the greatest song in the world, and is an ultimate cheesefest, but I can see why it was popular.  Maybe badass is a stretch, but I'll admit, I don't mind it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 06:44:44 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »
Kev, you got something you want to tell us? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
Warrant - Cherry Pie...because everything else is mostly forgivable.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »

I boycott!

That song is badass.   

Kade, WTF??

*ahem*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

Dudes, come on.  You guys are better than that.  I expected much more.  So much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvl2aqIyNg

Offline masterthes

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »
I always thought the title of that song should be "Come On, Eileen".  It's a request.

"Come On Eileen" sounds like something one might do, under certain circumstances.
That's because it's exactly what the goal of the song was. It's supposed to be a double entendre

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Ah.  In that case, well done!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
Dudes, come on.  You guys are better than that.  I expected much more.  So much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvl2aqIyNg

That video was horrendous then. It's worse now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
But the song is really good! I know some can't past the video, but I can. Rock Me Tonite is a helluva good song!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 09:02:48 PM »
It's actually a sad but true story.  The song Rock Me Tonight was already a hit, Billy Squier was hot as hell, this was the first single from his new album.  MTV promoted the World Premiere of the video for it, promoted the hell out of it actually, before the video had even been made.  Billy fired the first two directors, who both had shiity ideas, and this is what the third one came up with.  With pressure on to just make the damned video, and people saying "Come on, man, it doesn't matter; the song is great!" he caved and okayed the video.  Then it debuted, people reacted badly, and the video really did kill the radio star.

Lonely is the Night, The Stroke, Everybody Wants You... I'm sure I'm forgetting a few... then this video dropped, and his career never recovered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »
I think we've discussed this before, but I think his career would have recovered had he written more good songs.  Sure, it was the 80s where a bad video could crush you, but the purist in me thinks that good music would have made a difference.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 10:43:42 PM »
Yeah, it's probably come up before, multiple times even.  Maybe it was the end of his run anyway.  The world will never know.

Online dparrott

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 11:04:52 PM »
I love 80's music. Most of those on the list are pretty decent and have something to like about them I think. 

One I hate is Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy.  The singing in that chorus...ugh.  And of course NKOTB.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
It's actually a sad but true story.  The song Rock Me Tonight was already a hit, Billy Squier was hot as hell, this was the first single from his new album.  MTV promoted the World Premiere of the video for it, promoted the hell out of it actually, before the video had even been made.  Billy fired the first two directors, who both had shiity ideas, and this is what the third one came up with.  With pressure on to just make the damned video, and people saying "Come on, man, it doesn't matter; the song is great!" he caved and okayed the video.  Then it debuted, people reacted badly, and the video really did kill the radio star.

Lonely is the Night, The Stroke, Everybody Wants You... I'm sure I'm forgetting a few... then this video dropped, and his career never recovered.

"The third one":  Kenny Ortega, who some of you dads might know as the genius behind High School Musical (all three).  This is from his wiki page:  "  Ortega directed Billy Squier's "Rock Me Tonite" video, which is often cited as the worst music promo clip ever made and has been blamed by Squier for killing his career."   Haha, that's certainly a sort of notoriety!

By the way, Billy did an awesome, career spanning interview with Eddie Trunk a couple years ago, and was pretty candid and open about that.  He didn't blame Ortega entirely, and while he did put the creative decisions on Ortega, he was man enough to say "It's still my name, and I let it out the door".  I was pretty impressed. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
I think we've discussed this before, but I think his career would have recovered had he written more good songs.  Sure, it was the 80s where a bad video could crush you, but the purist in me thinks that good music would have made a difference.

Well, "Don't Say No" was a good album, and tough to live up to, but while the album after Signs of Life (the one with "Rock Me Tonite" on it) wasn't his best (that was "Enough is Enough") the next three - Hear and Now, Creatures of Habit, and To Tell The Truth - are pretty dang solid.   I think, though, that that video exposed his weakness.   He was a good, solid, singer/guitar player/songwriter - ala Bryan Adams - but he was trying to play in a more rock world.   Yeah, it's a cringe-y video, but both Bryan Adams and Michael Bolton (to name two) had things just as cringe-y and survived, and even thrived.

I can remember seeing him in '83, on the Emotions in Motion tour, and he was the headliner, with Def Leppard - Pyromania hadn't quite broke big yet - as the opener.   He played for about an hour and a half - bare minimum if you ask me - and while it was really good, it wasn't a show-stopper like Leppard.  And at the end, during "Rip This Joint" (the Stones song he closed with often) Bobby Chounard, his drummer, came up to the front and Billy was walking behind him like in a conga-line but with his hands on Bobby's hips and sort of miming, well, you know.   Squier isn't gay (I'm pretty sure he's been married for almost 20 years) but it just felt... odd.   I don't mean this in any way as homophobic - Freddie Mercury (who Billy worked with at least twice, and used Queen's producer, Mack) was one of the biggest rock stars in the world at that time - but the vibe was weird.     

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
Bobby Chouinard was a cool drummer. So tragic.