Poll

Which five-song run in a DT album is your favorite?

Take the Time-Surrounded-Metropolis-Under A Glass Moon-Wait for Sleep
7 (6%)
Surrounded-Metropolis-Under A Glass Moon-Wait for Sleep-Learning to Live
18 (15.4%)
Caught in a Web-Innocence Faded-Erotomania-Voices-The Silent Man
6 (5.1%)
The Mirror-Lie-Lifting Shadows-Scarred-Space Dye Vest
19 (16.2%)
Overture 1821-Strange DejaVu-Through My Words-Fatal Tragedy-Beyond This Life
13 (11.1%)
Home-The Dance of Eternity-One Last Time-The Spirit Carries On-Finally Free
12 (10.3%)
Peruvian Skies-Hollow Years-Burning My Soul-Hell's Kitchen-Lines in the Sand
2 (1.7%)
Six Degrees Disc 1
15 (12.8%)
Endless Sacrifice-Honor They Father-Vacant-Stream of Consciousness-In the Name of God
2 (1.7%)
I Walk Beside You-Panic Attack-Never Enough-Sacrificed Sons-Octavarium
5 (4.3%)
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1-Forsaken-Constant Motion-The Dark Eternal Night-Repentance
0 (0%)
A Rite of Passage-Wither-The Shattered Fortress-The BEst of Times-The Count of Tuscany
0 (0%)
This is the Life-Bridges in the Sky-Outcry-Far From Heaven-Breaking All Illusions
8 (6.8%)
The Bigger Picture-Behind the Veil-Surrender to Reason-Along for the Ride-Illumination Theory
2 (1.7%)
Lord Nafaryus-A Savior in the Square-When Your Time Has Come-Act of Faythe-Three Days
8 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Which five-song run in a DT album is your favorite?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Which five-song run in a DT album is your favorite?
« on: October 19, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
Yet another useless poll! I did not include WDADU because it will lose anyway.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Which five-song run in a DT album is your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
The two SFAM and I&W options, and side B of Awake. With side A being option 6.

Plenty of masterpieces on the other albums but come on, every song on those records is fantastic.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:45 PM »
Odd selection of choices. There's dozens and dozens of combinations to pick from. But from that list, I went with the very first one. I can't tell you how many times I listened to Take the Time on repeat when I first got into the band, which was around 2004. Of all the albums, I listened to I&W the most, and Surrounded, Take the Time, and Under A Glass Moon alone put that run over the top for me. James knocks it right out of the park.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline don_waka

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
Six Degrees Disc 1

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »
The Astonishing also has strong 5-songs runs.

For example, The Descent of the NOMACS -> A Better Life, or even Ravenskill -> The X Aspect (and if we don't consider the track Digital Discord a song, we could include A Life Left Behind or A New Beginning).

Among the listed, the best are probably Surrounded -> Learning to Live and Regression -> Fatal Tragedy.

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
This and it's not even close really.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
My favorite is easily side B of Scenes.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
Disc 1 of Six Degrees, 'Side B' of awake, and 'Side B' of SFAM, in that order.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
D1 of SDoIT would win easily were it not for my deep seated, intense hatred of Blind Faith. Went with S1 of Scenes, but honestly none of them really work for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:19:25 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »
The second half of Awake, although the Scenes and I&W runs are incredible as well.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
Odd selection of choices. There's dozens and dozens of combinations to pick from.

I'm curious what other five song runs you had in mind where you go, "I can't hit the pause button." ;)

The Astonishing also has strong 5-songs runs.

For example, The Descent of the NOMACS -> A Better Life, or even Ravenskill -> The X Aspect (and if we don't consider the track Digital Discord a song, we could include A Life Left Behind or A New Beginning).

I was thinking of those runs in TA, my favorite DT album. It just happens to include NOMAC tracks that sort of pull the strength of the run.

Although come to think of it, I could have included Dystopian Overture to Lord Nafaryus.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
Odd selection of choices. There's dozens and dozens of combinations to pick from.

I'm curious what other five song runs you had in mind where you go, "I can't hit the pause button." ;)

Honestly, the first one is really close. But ideally it would be Another Day -> Take the Time -> Surrounded > Metropolis > UGAM. But any 5 song sequence from I&W works, really. It's about as close to a perfect album as it gets.

Or, for Six Degrees: About to Crash all the way through Solitary Shell. It kind of works perfectly there because Solitary Shell ends definitively and About to Crash Reprise has its own clean start, and the first ATC starts just fine.

Those are my true picks. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »
Got you there. :) However, I always viewed SDOIT as just one song so I did not consider ATC to SS. :)