Author Topic: USA vs Japan mech duel on Twitch!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
USA vs Japan mech duel on Twitch!
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:09:29 PM »
https://go.twitch.tv/megabotsinc

USA got smoked first round. Pretty sure no one was surprised, except USA's mech pilots.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:48:59 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: USA vs Japan mech duel on Twitch!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:24 AM »
Somewhat disappointing, mostly because nobody should beat Japan when it comes to robots, and also because of the overly dramatic and flashy US production on these things, like robots aren't exciting enough.

The asian chick is cute though, so there's that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 04:06:42 AM »
I couldn't be more disappointed with what we saw last night

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:05:57 AM »
Does anyone remember that TV show from several years ago hosted by Chris Jericho, with the motion captured robots and they were really crap and were seemingly made to break down really easily and make sparks fly everywhere? That was better.

I think they need to come up with more defined rules for the robots (don't know if they had rules here), and also I'd offload the people altogether, basically make it a giant version of robot wars / battle bots. Having people in there might seem cool and Hollywood, but in reality it restricts the robot carnage.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:54:17 AM »
Having people in there is just asking for trouble. Pretty sure the first fight had them checking for concussions.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:26 AM »
I'd much rather see these things controlled remotely. I get the "cool factor" about having people in them, but let's be real, we'll never get proper destruction until the human element is removed. I want to see robots getting rekt (that's what the kids are saying these days, right?), not huge hunks of metal reduced to dry humping each other in the name of safety. Real Steel would be just as entertaining.

Rules that are clearly defined are 100% needed if they ever want to take this anywhere and get it off script. Weight is a big one. Team USA was celebrating last night like it was some huge achievement. What they did would be akin to me beating down a 12 year old and holding my fists up in victory. I see a lot of people defending this fight with the "this is what needs to happen at first" and "if you were expecting Pacific Rim you're retarded", and yeah, maybe I bought into some hype, but this was still incredibly lame.

And I don't even blame myself for the hype. I backed this on Kickstarter when the plan was to still use MKII. These guys built a $2.5M machine over the course of two years. They incorporated state of the art everything and spent months pre-programming predefined moves (uppercut, right hook, block, etc). The made many videos demonstrating their strength and agility. Yet when the time came, they didn't even throw a punch in what was dubbed A MELEE MATCH. I'm sorry, but anyway you slice it, that's nothing but weak. I wasn't expecting a Real Steel match, but I assumed we get a little punching and grappling, but no. Instead we got some lousy choreographed robot version of WWE. They didn't have a live audience because of "safety concerns", yet the announcers were so close a mech warrior crashed through their broadcasting station?

Maybe I'm just being a grouch, but I was expecting more legitimacy.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:00:36 AM »
I want to see robots getting rekt (that's what the kids are saying these days, right?)
Maybe if this was still 2015. :loser:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »
Instead we got some lousy choreographed robot version of WWE.

Hey, those lousy robots couldn't take half the punishment that WWE wrestler Mick Foley took in his career. :lol

The whole thing with the announcers felt very scripted and fake to me, but maybe I'm just too cynical in my old age. All three fights felt like a waste of the tech. I wasn't expecting MechaGodzilla or anything, but they were used as little more than a drivetrain with a weapon attached. And what more could you really legally do with a human inside?
Seeing the robots side by side, in terms of size, and weaponry, I didn't get a sense that they had solid ground rules, so it didn't feel like a fight on equal footing. I don't mean that as an excuse, but it deflated the competition for me a bit before it even started.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:12 AM »
Yeah, that was a bit lame but I get that it was the first time and that all this will come with lessons learned and feedback from people will help it get better. This has the potential to make money so I'm sure they'll make it work.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:52:17 AM »
Yikes, that was rough...