Author Topic: DT songs at sporting events  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Scottjf8

DT songs at sporting events
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »
Has anyone heard some DT stuff over the PA at a sporting event?

I ask because last night at the Dallas Stars game, the PA guy started playing YtseJam during a stop in play.  I was going "holy shit, he's playing DT, and not PMU!"

Maybe they have before, but since I've only really been a big DT fan for just over a year now, I might not have noticed... especially when it's something kinda obscure like an instrumental from their first record...

Next time maybe i'll get some Stream :)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT songs at sporting events
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
Yeah, there's one NBA team, I think the Spurs, that used to play the intro from metropolis a lot. Not sure if they still do
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
I've seen a video regarding DT trivia and it was mentioned that the riff from Crimson Sunrise was used in a promo to an edition in the early 2000's of the Winter Olympics..

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
Yeah, I heard "Pull Me Under" during a Heat/Spurs game three years ago. :)  I found the thread at the time: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40946.msg1900001#msg1900001
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
Not DT related but I wonder if DT songs are sung by people in voice contests like The Voice.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
Not DT related but I wonder if DT songs are sung by people in voice contests like The Voice.

Someone might do it in the preliminary rounds just to have fun, but not on the shows themselves since they are aimed at the pop loving people
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
As someone mentioned...the Spurs play the intro to metropolis (as of last season they still did). I have heard pullme under but can’t recall where and I’m pretty sure I also heard the riff for “As I am” somewhere.

And as for singing DT at voice/singing shows. I know people that have been to those shows and I heard stories that for the most part you don’t get to pick your songs.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
I've seen a video regarding DT trivia and it was mentioned that the riff from Crimson Sunrise was used in a promo to an edition in the early 2000's of the Winter Olympics..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nua1NrR9z-4

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »

Someone in my country (Peru) did try to sing DT on one of these contest shows, but her performance was just AWFUL, so I don't think I'll even post the video here  :tdwn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
What song?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:10 AM »
There was also a talent competition several years ago where a guy came out with a Dream Theater tattoo. The people from the show recognized it and asked James to film a short video supporting the guy. The man was so happy to see it. I tried to hunt down that video a while ago again but had no such luck.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:34 AM »

Someone in my country (Peru) did try to sing DT on one of these contest shows, but her performance was just AWFUL, so I don't think I'll even post the video here  :tdwn

Is that The Mirror one?

There's also this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCypAhJslAU which isn't too bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LPMX

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:54:59 AM »
There was also a talent competition several years ago where a guy came out with a Dream Theater tattoo. The people from the show recognized it and asked James to film a short video supporting the guy. The man was so happy to see it. I tried to hunt down that video a while ago again but had no such luck.
I remember that. It was from Star Académie in Québec around 5 years ago. The contestant was called Jason IIRC. It was on TV while I was playing board games with with my (ex) girlfriend's family and I lost my shit seeing JLB there!

Edit: Found a link in another thread: https:youtu.be/BflxsiOJbEE

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »

Is that The Mirror one?

Yeah....  :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »

Is that The Mirror one?

Yeah....  :facepalm:

My condolences.

That was actually the one I was looking for but none of my search terms helped.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »

Is that The Mirror one?

There's also this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCypAhJslAU which isn't too bad.

Can someone translate what they said to him?  Did they like it?

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
No, I haven't heard Dream Theater played at a sporting event, but I was watching the Leafs and Canadiens on TV play a game at the Bell  Centre (where the Canadiens play) a couple years ago, and on one of the boards there was an advertisement for an upcoming Dream Theater show at the Bell Centre. I thought that was pretty cool to see.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
I still remember once back in the early 90s, I heard the intro to Metropolis play during an NBA game on tv. I cant tell you what game it was since I wasn't really watching, but I remember how cool it sounded and how the synths reminded me of of fantasy games.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
I still remember once back in the early 90s, I heard the intro to Metropolis play during an NBA game on tv. I cant tell you what game it was since I wasn't really watching, but I remember how cool it sounded and how the synths reminded me of of fantasy games.

That would be awesome!!

Especially if the team had players named Edward and Julian.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »

https://youtu.be/Z4DfDB16XT8?t=2m31s

:rollin
 :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »

Crap, I thought it was going to be harder to find  :eek :-X

Offline Evai

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 07:32:53 AM »
He'd probably sound good if he had a backing track, lots of passion
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »

You mean she.

Offline don_waka

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 09:24:24 AM »

It's just so funny how she says YEIMS LABRAI  :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

You mean she.

Oh... then yeah, it's terrible  :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »
I don't know how to post links to youtube but if you have never seen the James Labrie American Idol Audition it is epic.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
Indeed I have. At the Minnesota Wild games...(hockey for you losers that don't know (just kidding  :metal))....but anywho, they played Overture 1928 as the team came on the ice at beginning of game once when I saw them.   I was like  :o.   But the music director/player/organist etc.... seems to be a progger/metalist. Lots of Rush is played as well and he even plays a rush diddy keyboard/organ thing live, from one of their '70s lps.  as well.  But yeah, I have.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
Has anyone heard some DT stuff over the PA at a sporting event?

In March 2000, I had a job interview in NYC and decided to go see the Dallas Stars v. NY Rangers game.  The Rangers took the ice right before the start of the game to Overture 1928.  I was blow away.  A few years ago, I was watching a Rangers playoff game, and the organist was playing the opening riff to Rush's Anthem before segueing into a standard "let's go team" riff.  The guy who does music and LA Kings games plays a bunch of metal stuff (including Rush), but no DT thus far.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 02:21:28 AM »

:rollin don't know if she really is singing the right words with peruvian accent or is she just singing how she hears those lyrics  :lol :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »

:rollin don't know if she really is singing the right words with peruvian accent or is she just singing how she hears those lyrics  :lol :metal

Definitely the latter  :lol

Offline don_waka

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
What ever happened to her? Saw the whole performance and at the end she says she will continue singing  :metal

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »

I walk beside you is something I can hear being done on one of those shows.   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!