Author Topic: Northern California Fires  (Read 1108 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Northern California Fires
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »
Does any of our peeps live in the Sonoma, Mendocino, Napa, or any other counties up there?

There are several wildfires burning across those counties. I didn't realize how intense it was until about half an hour ago, once I was able to speak with my brother (who lives in Santa Rosa). The fire swept through part of the city. He hasn't had power since 5am, and just recently picked up enough cell signal to contact me. His apartment is literally a block outside of the evacuation zone for the Tubbs fire.

Scary shit.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-napa-fires-20171009-story.html
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Northern California Fires
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
It is scary shit.  I don't live there, but I used to live in Idyllwild near the San Bernardino Mtns when I was 7.  There were fires there in 1973 and we had to evacuate.  All I remember was seeing lots of smoke blocking out the sun and ashes falling like snow.  We got lucky and didn't lose the house, but I'll never forget it.

Best wishes for your brother...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
I'm out in Orange County, in Southern California, and I see a pretty big fire near Anaheim Hills (I'm at Cypress).  It's pretty devastating.  About 2,000 homes had to be evacuated and a couple of homes has already been burned down.  I've been reading news where the clear consensus has been mainly, "It's going to get worst before it gets better."

I'm counting my blessings that my home is not near the area, but it is close enough where I can see the smoke in the sky and can smell it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:57:14 PM »
Snow here and wildfires in Cali...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
Yea snow here as well in Denver today, my buddy lives in San Fran and said he left his windows open over night and when he woke up this morning it smelled like a camp fire from all the fires in the area.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »
I'm out in Orange County, in Southern California, and I see a pretty big fire near Anaheim Hills (I'm at Cypress).  It's pretty devastating.  About 2,000 homes had to be evacuated and a couple of homes has already been burned down.  I've been reading news where the clear consensus has been mainly, "It's going to get worst before it gets better."

I'm counting my blessings that my home is not near the area, but it is close enough where I can see the smoke in the sky and can smell it.

I didn't realize there was a fire out there till a while after posting this.

I'm in Oxnard... And I'm. Surprised we don't have anything burning here.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »
Holy shit.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
Holy shit.

According to my brother, that's what it looks like 2 blocks or so from his apartment.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
Scary shit man, all the friends I have in the area are safe, but 2000 homes and businesses destroyed. The picture of the block posted above, they say it went in minutes, very reminiscent of the Oakland Hills fire in 89. Air quality where I live (about 20ish miles south of Napa/Sonoma/Santa Rosa area) is horrendous, I can't even see our local mountain that's five miles from me.

As always, the best of humanity comes out at times like this, this was shared by a well liked local news anchor. They lost everything they had, but still had each other. The couple that posted it added the simple sentiment ...

'Love is all there is...'

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »
My Intervarsity leaders from college (two of the most open minded people I know, contrary to what a lot of people think of religious people) live in Sonoma now, and had to evacuate. One of them works at a school for high functioning children on the spectrum, and the school was destroyed by the fire. He's devastated.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »
My brother finally has the ability to upload shit to Facebook again, so I am assuming he has internet (even on his phone) again.

He posted this photo he took late Sunday / early Monday of Firefighters fighting the fire at a Gun and Ammo shop in Santa Rosa.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
Video from Berkeley and San Fran strike team that was sent up to assist with the fires that night.  The video is a tad long, 10 minutes, but caused me to release an audible "holy shit..."

https://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-news/berkeley-firefighters-record-devastation-of-tubbs-fire-in-santa-rosa/638441227

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"