Author Topic: You could not pay me enough to...  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: You could not pay me enough to...
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
I don't think I'm afraid of heights - the tower climb video was interesting to watch. That doesn't mean I'd do it though - it's one thing to watch and another to actually do it. It would be safety line all the way for me, even if it took twice as long. :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
Image in OP almost gave me panic attack, damn. I start to panic only if my hand or leg get stuck somewhere, I would die of fear there :lol

I couldn't even get into an MRI machine so the cave thing would be a definite no. I read a story years ago about a guy who got stuck fucking UPSIDE DOWN in a cave. He was hanging upside down for hours and eventually he died. Horrific and tragic.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »
Yeah, that's the story that was linked upthread.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
I don't think I'm afraid of heights - the tower climb video was interesting to watch. That doesn't mean I'd do it though - it's one thing to watch and another to actually do it. It would be safety line all the way for me, even if it took twice as long. :)

No shit; did you watch the end part when he was standing on the light fixture and he was fumbling with his clip?  No hands?  I was yelling at my monitor:  "CLIP THE FUCKING ROPE ON!"   Haha. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:33:52 PM by Stadler »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »

No shit; did you watch the end part when he was staning on the light fixture and he was fumbling with his clip?  No hands?  I was yelling at my monitor:  "CLIP THE FUCKING ROPE ON!"   Haha.
I know!  Any small little thing could set you off balance (at least I think it could, maybe they'd disagree).   I wonder if they couldn't come up with some kind of rope device that stays on the tower - maybe several of them.  You're on the ground, you push a button or something, the rope gets lowered down (it's fixed to some point), you clip it on, climb up to meet it, then push a button for the next one to come down...  Then you're not constantly clipping and unclipping.  Maybe that would be too hard to implement, or too expensive.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
I definitely wouldn't do anything that there was a greater than 1% chance I might die while doing it. Other than that, I absolutely hate the feeling of falling, but for the right price I could do a roller coaster or skydiving. If you could someone 100% guarantee my safety, there's not much a would do for a short time period for the right amount of money.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
I definitely wouldn't do anything that there was a greater than 1% chance I might die while doing it.

I wonder if, technically, driving a car would fall into this category or not.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
I definitely wouldn't do anything that there was a greater than 1% chance I might die while doing it.

I wonder if, technically, driving a car would fall into this category or not.
Over the course of your entire life maybe. But not each individual car ride.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS6g0_6K8-U

THE DUDE JUST KEPT GOING HIGHER

I think my balls may have receded into my body as I watched that.

"From here, it's just another 60 feet to the top!'

I literally had balls of sweat on my palms from that.   I can't put into words how hard that was to watch. 

(FYI, my one recurring nightmare - basically the only one I can ever remember having - is me on a staircase, with no walls or railings, up in the middle of the sky.  Picture perfect blue skies, with clouds above, below and around me, and a stiff breeze, and climbing a set of stairs like from an Escher drawing.)

I have a very similar recurring dream. The staircase in mine is massive though; each step is like 7 feet high so I have to haul my entire body up each one. It's horrible

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:06 PM »
While we are on the subject of heights...

Zion National Park - Angel’s Landing. My wife and I love hiking and are willing to travel a good distance for some great views. Thrill seeking hikes, however, are not our thing as neither of us is keen on falling to our deaths. And toward the top, this hike has nearly 1000 foot drop offs on either side of a 2-3 foot wide in some places sandstone pathway. No fucking thanks. We opted for Observation Point instead. Higher, wider view of the canyon, and less sense you’re gonna slip and meet your demise as a grease stain across the rocks below.

Random footage of near the top:
https://youtu.be/jy6K0KoMrco

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Climbing the tallest chimney in Europe

Why do people voluntarily expose themselfs to the potential of being clumsy and fall to your death? I don't even trust myself enough to not stumble or drop something pretty much 2-5 times a week.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
They say everybody's got a price, but what is something or somethings you would absolutely never do, no matter how much money someone offered you?

For me it would be cave exploring, the kind where the passages are super narrow and it feels like you are getting stuck. I am typically not claustrophic, but knowing that one wrong turn can lead to you getting stuck and dying in some shitty cave in the dark. No way

What about you guys?

This is something I don't think I'd ever do, maybe in a controlled environment.

The first time anything like that picture freaked me out was watching the movie "The Descent" and near the beginning a girl gets stuck in a crawl space like that as the rocks around her are shifting. It made me so uneasy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »

Why do people voluntarily expose themselfs to the potential of being clumsy and fall to your death? I don't even trust myself enough to not stumble or drop something pretty much 2-5 times a week.

I almost slipped in the shower last week, that would've been disastrous. Could never do this.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »

I'm light headed just watching this.

The girl is cute though... so worth it  ;D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »

She is, but he's pretty douchey.  What's with the finger thing?        No matter how hot she is, I would pass on this.   I had to turn it off when he was walking on the little ledge at the last part.    It would have been perversely funny though, if they actually fell down INTO the chimney. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
As if just climbing it wasn't enough, here they go doing a tight rope walk across it  :o   No thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1L0iFwB8_Y

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »

I almost slipped in the shower last week, that would've been disastrous. Could never do this.  :lol
Yea see that's the thing for me, I could probably get used to the height to some degree but trusting myself to not fuck up, no way!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS6g0_6K8-U

Job interview;

employer: "Thanks for coming in Jim"
Jim: "Sweet as bro"
employer: "So.........you cool to climb a 1700 foot tower with no safety harness at times?"
Jim: "Yeah mate"
employer: "When can you start?"

That 'stairway to heaven' antenna climb video terrifies me more than any horror movie I've ever seen...

Also this kind of stuff. There are tons of these videos, but this is every bit as hard to watch. Wouldn't do it for a billion dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgLiEJRFXc8

These people aren't quite right in the head.  This made me almost shit myself.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »

This is a normal activity here in Australia mate. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »

These people aren't quite right in the head.  This made me almost shit myself.

No kidding.

This is a normal activity here in Australia mate. 

You people are fucked up! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »

This is also fucking insane.  One bigger gust of wind and you lose your footing, you're done.  These videos are unreal, stupid and intriguing at the same time.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the crocodiles!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2017, 05:46:56 PM »

Actually, I was speaking to the crocs!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »

Actually, I was speaking to the crocs!

Oh, carry on then.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »

This is also fucking insane.  One bigger gust of wind and you lose your footing, you're done.  These videos are unreal, stupid and intriguing at the same time.

Admit it though; some of you thought "Thin the herd!" :)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »

She is, but he's pretty douchey.  What's with the finger thing?        No matter how hot she is, I would pass on this.   I had to turn it off when he was walking on the little ledge at the last part.    It would have been perversely funny though, if they actually fell down INTO the chimney.

To me, Angel's Landing would be much easier mentally than this chimney climb... I think it's perspective.  On most natural formations, the climber deals with a "wall" (for lack of a better term) that has lines of weakness until you get to the summit and you have the views around you.  With these man-made structures (chimney, antenna, crane, etc) your perspective while climbing is very different because you have "thin" contact points with the surface you're climbing and the view is constantly in your peripheral.

The finger thing may be a relaxing and focusing technique... I'm guessing of course.  The apple or peach that he chucks at the end... there's some perspective for you; 14-15 seconds of free fall.  The climb down (in the dark) would be mentally exhausting for me personally.

As the first comment for the "Stairway to Heaven" video says, the guy must have massive upper body strength to be able to drag those massive balls up that structure.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
Add me to the list: that cave picture makes me feel a little tight-chested. I couldn't even go on the submarine sat alongside Intrepid in New York when we were there a few weeks ago. And I had to turn around while climbing up the stairs to the bridge on Intrepid, too, going against the one-way system. Panic sets in, especially when I feel like control is being taken out of my hands.

Not great with heights when free-standing although I love flying and adore being in a light aircraft (my only real ambition is to learn to fly). Always strange, that one ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
The tower climbing thing is almost too much to even watch. No way.

https://wirelessestimator.com/content/fatalities

3 guys fell 1000' just in September. Hell no!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:34:21 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm not afraid of height in normal circumstances but I'd have to be a lot of money to climb any sort of tower.