Author Topic: Your concerts for 2018  (Read 34329 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Your concerts for 2018
« Reply #490 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »
In all fairness, The Forum is a great venue.  I'm just a bit scared of the location it is in though.  Still a place ripe with a lot of sports and music history.  I saw Foo Fighters play there in 2015 and I enjoyed the atmosphere of it.  Parking is on the steep end of things in comparison the other places I paid for parking, but that's just how it goes for arena shows.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
I'd probably just uber if this actually happens.  Im going to try to get a ticket at 3pm est when they go on sale and see what happens from there.  I think that alone might be a challenge for a decent price. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: November 13, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
I didn't update here, but I did manage to score a GA floor ticket for the Saturday show of KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas in LA.  I expect to have that fully booked soon.  Looks like it's not only manageable from a time perspective, but from a cost one as well.  I might be in and out of LA quickly and cheaply for this show over the weekend and not missing any work or anything.

So Novemeber is a quiet month for me, but December is shaping up to be a beast of a month for concerts to end the year:

December 1st - Steven Wilson @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 8th - KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas (Smashing Pumpkins, 30 Seconds to Mars, Third Eye Blind, Greta Van Fleet, Bad Religion, AFI) @ The Forum, Los Angeles CA
December 13th - Breaking Benjamin @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 15th - Ghost @ Barclays Center, Brooklyn NJ

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #493 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »
I'll be at Starland Ballroom for Steven as well  :metal I'm also going to the record signing at Vintage Vinyl in Fords.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: November 13, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
I'll be at Starland Ballroom for Steven as well  :metal I'm also going to the record signing at Vintage Vinyl in Fords.

Nice, I just got my Home Invasion blu ray that I started watching, it'll be cool to see him in this venue

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #495 on: November 15, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
Leprous tonight....Almost forgot.

$15 at the door in an intimate venue means going to be a wonderful night.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #496 on: November 15, 2018, 05:27:46 PM »

Nice, I just got my Home Invasion blu ray that I started watching, it'll be cool to see him in this venue

Not a fan of Starland Ballroom personally, but I would never pass on an opportunity to see Wilson even if I didn't like the venue.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: November 15, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »

Not a fan of Starland Ballroom personally, but I would never pass on an opportunity to see Wilson even if I didn't like the venue.

I don't particularly like it for this type of music, that venue is more for punk rock shows.  It's got a nice pit and you are close to the band, but for the types of shows where you stand and watch, it's not a great venue.  I just like it so much because it's close to home and it gets a decent amount of good acts each year.  Plus I know a spot to go where you can often meet the band if you are lucky.  I met Devin Townsend, Kamelot, and Less Than Jake there before. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #498 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:58 PM »
Man oh man...The Opener just got done and man are they good. Reminded me of Superior and Opeth. The keyboardist uses a Seaboard. Their called Patema. I highly suggest hearing them, I'll ask them where we can find some songs. Epic epic prog metal.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/patemaofficial/about/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Here's their Facebook page.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:35:28 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #499 on: November 16, 2018, 07:03:35 AM »

I don't particularly like it for this type of music, that venue is more for punk rock shows.  It's got a nice pit and you are close to the band, but for the types of shows where you stand and watch, it's not a great venue.  I just like it so much because it's close to home and it gets a decent amount of good acts each year.  Plus I know a spot to go where you can often meet the band if you are lucky.  I met Devin Townsend, Kamelot, and Less Than Jake there before.

I could see that, I've only been there a few times (for Danzig and Opeth) and I came away with the impression that the acoustics are terrible and ear plugs are a must  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: November 16, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
Yea, not a place known for it's sound.  It's really popular for those sing a long pop punk bands.  I follow their instagram and you can tell which type of music the venue actually relaly likes and cares about  :lol like they never advertise or have live shots from the metal shows, it's always the pop punk ones.  Just an observation  :lol  It used to be called the Hunka Bunka Ballroom and was where I saw my first concert.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #501 on: November 18, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
I found a song from Patema, they're a local band here in Albuquerque. Really good stuff.

https://youtu.be/E9xrAWkKcxs

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #502 on: November 18, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
My last concert of the year: Steven Wilson this Thursday.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #503 on: November 18, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
Sitting on the rail at Haken, probably my last show for the year unless I pull the trigger on TSO next week.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #504 on: November 20, 2018, 07:36:07 AM »
Yesterday was Tesseract /BTBAM / Plini. Man, fucking amazing gig!

I had never seen Tesseract before, I went in with low expectations caude for some reason I read negative things about their live shows but nothing could be less true. Most balanced setlist ever (man, they played half of Concealing Fate, I was in heaven), Dan made me like the Altered State songs more than I already did because it was him singing instead of Ashe.

Oh and first time seeing BTBAM play Sun of Nothing, b2b with Voice of Trespass. Fucking-a

Tonight Zeal & Ardor!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: November 20, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
I thought my 2018 was all booked, but I forgot about a local ska show coming up next month that is kind of special for me and my youth of loving the local ska music scene when I was in high school.

December 21st - Streetlight Manifesto @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ

They are playing the entire Keasby Nights album by Catch 22 (this is his newer ska band and they already re-recorded the entire album under this band's name).  But this is one of my all time favorite ska albums and being that they are a local band, I must have seen Catch 22 10+ times in small venues around NJ growing up.  Those shows were always so much fun and energetic too.  The second night is sold out (where they are doing another album of theirs in entirety, but the Keasby Nights is what I want to see).  Will be cool to take a stroll down memory lane for this one plus I expect a big crowd for them.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #506 on: November 20, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »

I had never seen Tesseract before, I went in with low expectations caude for some reason I read negative things about their live shows but nothing could be less true. Most balanced setlist ever (man, they played half of Concealing Fate, I was in heaven), Dan made me like the Altered State songs more than I already did because it was him singing instead of Ashe.

Tesseract is ridiculously good live, very bummed I have to miss this tour.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #507 on: November 20, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »

Oh and first time seeing BTBAM play Sun of Nothing, b2b with Voice of Trespass. Fucking-a

Tonight Zeal & Ardor!

I completely agree. Saw them in Nijmegen last week, fantastic show.
My first time for both BTBAM and Tesseract.

Seeing Tesseract again in Eindhoven, march 2019

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #508 on: November 20, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
I thought my 2018 was all booked, but I forgot about a local ska show coming up next month that is kind of special for me and my youth of loving the local ska music scene when I was in high school.

They are playing the entire Keasby Nights album by Catch 22 (this is his newer ska band and they already re-recorded the entire album under this band's name).  But this is one of my all time favorite ska albums and being that they are a local band, I must have seen Catch 22 10+ times in small venues around NJ growing up.  Those shows were always so much fun and energetic too.  The second night is sold out (where they are doing another album of theirs in entirety, but the Keasby Nights is what I want to see).  Will be cool to take a stroll down memory lane for this one plus I expect a big crowd for them.

Yes mate! Love Streetlight Manifesto and Keasbey Nights  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #509 on: November 29, 2018, 12:12:26 AM »
Ok, leaving what is probably my last show for the year. Here's the final tally...

Intervals/Jason Richardson
Orphaned Land/Tyr/Aeternam/Ghost Ship Octavius
Tesseract
BtBaM/Born of Osiris/Erra/Allegeon
Rob Zombie/Marylin Manson
Gloryhammer/Alestorm
Amorphis/Dark Tranquility/Moonspell
Progstock with IQ/ Mystery/Enchant/Evership/Micheal Sadler, Saga/IZZ/Orpheus Nine/In Continuum/Flying Dreams/Tom Brislin/UK
Haken/Leprous
Trans Siberian Orchestra

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #510 on: November 29, 2018, 01:21:43 AM »
Which was the best show dude?

My final tally was:

Mogwai
The Mad Caddies
ArcTangent Festival
Leprous/Agent Fresco
Toots and the Maytals
Caligula's Horse/Circles/I Built the Sky
Slayer/Lamb of God/Obituary

I still might get to see Solstafir and Telepathy in a few weeks. I'm a bit disappointed in my final count, I didn't go to anywhere near as many gigs as I wanted to  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #511 on: November 29, 2018, 06:07:11 AM »
IQ by far.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: November 29, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
IQ by far.

:metal :metal

5 more concerts in December for me, and if my GF's birthday wasn't on the same day as another concert, I'd considering going to a 6th  :lol By far the most concerts from me in a year and might be hard to surpass that tally ever again, but man was it a good year.  I've actually been thinking about what my favorite concerts were, and specifically some of the best "concert moments" I've witnessed and captured on video.  I started listed and rewatching videos from the past year and built a rough list and might turn it into a video on youtube once the year is over.  Either way, I think I'll share my favorite lists once the years over since December is looking like a beast of a month for me.

December 1st - Steven Wilson @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 8th - KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas (Smashing Pumpkins, 30 Seconds to Mars, Third Eye Blind, Greta Van Fleet, Bad Religion, AFI, The Interrupters) @ The Forum, Los Angeles CA
December 13th - Breaking Benjamin @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 15th - Ghost @ Barclays Center, Brooklyn NJ

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »

What's your thoughts on The Interrupters?  I've heard the name before and I'm going to see them soon so just youtubed them finally and realized they are a ska/punk band, made me wonder if you know them and what your thoughts were?  I see they got a lot of support from Tim Armstrong (also read their wikipedia page), almost sounds like when Rancid does ska.  THis song She's Kerosene is cool, they seem like they will be fun live.  Making me really look forward to the KROQ show with the punk/ska opening bands before the big rock bands hit the stage.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #514 on: November 29, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »

What's your thoughts on The Interrupters?  I've heard the name before and I'm going to see them soon so just youtubed them finally and realized they are a ska/punk band, made me wonder if you know them and what your thoughts were?  I see they got a lot of support from Tim Armstrong (also read their wikipedia page), almost sounds like when Rancid does ska.  THis song She's Kerosene is cool, they seem like they will be fun live.  Making me really look forward to the KROQ show with the punk/ska opening bands before the big rock bands hit the stage.

I think I may possibly have seen them at a festival years ago but I don't really know their music. What I do know though is that they have been involved with some of Tim Armstrong's solo work. A few years ago he had this project called 'Tim Timebomb and Friends' where he recorded a song a day, everyday, and released it, for like 3 or 4 months. I have most of the songs recorded at that time and there were some real gems in there. I know some of that work includes The Interrupters. I also thought it was The Interrupters who were the backing band for Tim Armstrong's solo album 'A Poet's Life' (which you should check out) but I just googled it and it was The Aggrolites (who are also great)

I'm intrigued now, I'm going to go listen.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: November 29, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
Yea the wiki mentioned all of that, but I wasn't sure exactly what Tim's bands were.  Tim produced the interrupter's albums and as I listen to their newest album on youtube, Rancid does a guest appearance on one song I just listened to.  Definitely makes me think it's something up your alley especially after yesterday's recommendation. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #516 on: November 29, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »
Yea the wiki mentioned all of that, but I wasn't sure exactly what Tim's bands were.  Tim produced the interrupter's albums and as I listen to their newest album on youtube, Rancid does a guest appearance on one song I just listened to.  Definitely makes me think it's something up your alley especially after yesterday's recommendation.

Giving them a listen now, they sound great! I don't actively go looking for new music like this now but you know what, I could do with some new ska  :biggrin: you're right, they do sound like Rancid's style of ska (which I love) but fronted by Brody Dalle. Good shit, cheers dude.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: November 29, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »
 :yarr

Yea, on my second listen of the album (it's so short  :lol ) and like yesterday, I feel like I would have been all over this 15 years ago (even though they weren't around).

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: November 30, 2018, 06:17:56 AM »
Just saw The Interrupters! They did a free show here and they were awesome.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: November 30, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

:metal :metal I was watching some live videos last night on youtube and seem really fun and energetic live.  I'm really just kind of shocked a band like this who is new in this music genre are finding some success.  Just making me even more excited for next weekend.

However, tomorrow night, Steven Wilson at my local ballroom in NJ  :hat

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: November 30, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
Just got back from seeing Kaki King. This was a very different show then ones she has done in the past and was a lot of more a stage show than her just playing guitar. That said I loved the show. I had front center seats and she ended up playing some of the classics.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #521 on: December 02, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »

:metal :metal I was watching some live videos last night on youtube and seem really fun and energetic live.  I'm really just kind of shocked a band like this who is new in this music genre are finding some success.  Just making me even more excited for next weekend.

Dammit! Just found out that The Interrupters are playing near me, tonight!! The new album is great and I would've gone to see them if I'd have known!

A mate has also offered me free tickets to go see Flogging Molly and The Bronx next Friday, can't decide whether to go as I kind of have plans already?? Hmmmm

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: December 03, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
So 2018 shaped up real nice  :coolio

Toto - Copenhagen, Forum
Steven Wilson - Copenhagen, Vega
G3 - Aalborg, Skråen
Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Malmoe, Slagthuset
Foo Fighters - Gothenburg, Ullevi
King Crimson - Stockholm, Cirkus
Roger Waters - Copenhagen, Royal Arena
The Flower Kings / Spock's Beard - Malmoe, KB

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: December 03, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
Dammit! Just found out that The Interrupters are playing near me, tonight!! The new album is great and I would've gone to see them if I'd have known!

damn that's coincidence

Steven Wilson was pretty awesome last weekend close to home, love how I can hang near the side railing and get fist bumps from the band (minus Steven, he didn't want to interact with me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTzQFZkrd-w

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: December 03, 2018, 11:08:59 PM »
Saw my last two shows of 2018 on saturday and sunday.
Spock's Beard and Roine Stolts Flower Kings revisited in both Stockholm and Malmö.... fantastic shows both of them.

So this is my final tally... nice year for me.
I also had a ticket for Vulkan / Pain of Salvation but was sick and could not go.

2018-02-26 - Stockholm, Circus - Steven Wilson 

2018-03-24 - Gothenburg, Concert hall, Gothenburg Symphonic Orchestra with Jennie Abrahamson & Malin Dahlström - A tribute to Kate Bush

2018-04-06 Malmö, Palladium - Peter Hammill

2018-06-05 Stockholm, Södra Teatern - Neal Morse

2018-07-05 Stockholm, Circus - King Crimson
2018-07-06 Stockholm, Circus - King Crimson

2018-08-18 - Stockholm, Friends Arena - Roger Waters

2018-09-29 Malmö, Palladium - Progressive Circus 2018 (VUUR, iamthemorning, Anneke van Giersbergen, Merit Hemmingsson, Promise and the Monster )
One day festival with 4, no scratch that... 5 artists bands. 

2018-10-07 Stockholm, Fryshuset - Moon Safari, Fish

2018-12-01 Stockholm, Kulturhuset Studion - Spock's Beard / The Flower Kings revisited 

2018-12-02 Malmö, KB - Spock's Beard / The Flower Kings revisited