Author Topic: Your concerts for 2018  (Read 34319 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2018
« Reply #420 on: September 27, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
Another memorable concert in the books this week.  Alestorm and Gloryhammer just destroyed in NYC.  I always talk about the concert experience and this one started early with rain, lots and lots of rain in NJ/NY.  I work just on the other side of the Hudson River in NJ, about 5 actual miles from midtown Manhatten.  It took me 70 minutes to get from work to the train station (3 miles away) in NJ (so I can park there and not have to drive in and pay city prices to park overnight) because the roads were so flooded.  Apparently I was not alone in these struggles:

Posted by the singer of Alestorm before the show

and this is one picture of my drive to the train station

None the less, I met my GF in the city and we had an absolute blast at the concert.  Gramercy is a small venue, holds 500 and was sold out.  Everyone was already there when we arrived at 7:50 before Gloryhammer even came on.  Place was packed, you could hardly move or even get in really.  But once you pushed through to get to the bar and then into the center more, you really walked into a cloud of pure power metal. Our only complaint for the night was maybe it was over sold.  It was uncomfortable at times how hard it was to move.  There was a bar downstairs that was empty and maybe they sell tickets thinking people will chill down there, but no one did besides us for a couple songs since we were up front until Mexico.  We were getting smashed, but we wanted more booze and less sweat from others so figured we would make our way back later.  The downstairs bar was a nice break where I can yell about wenches.  Oh and did I say my GF brought an eye patch that I wore the entire concert? Anyway, Gloryhammer was a lot of fun.  Total energy with cheese, but that good cheese.  Crowd absolutely loved them.  I was singing along for most since the ProgPower show as I've become more of a fan since then. Between bands they played a lot of Queen over the speakers and some balloons started flying which really got everyone worked up.  Alestorm were amazing.  They were the most fun at ProgPower and they just brought the good times to NYC on a really rainy night.  My gf loved the show, the mosh pits and all.  She got the experience.  Probably the best birthday present I ever received.   All of this (minus the flood) are captured in this really bad video

Alestorm & Gloryhammer LIVE @ Sold Out Gramercy Theatre New York City

Online faizoff

« Reply #421 on: September 28, 2018, 07:51:59 AM »
First time seeing Nine Inch Nails live and man what a show. They played two nights in Atlanta and I'm kicking myself for not going both nights. The setlists were almost entirely different and I attended the 2nd night where they played a bunch of stuff from the older albums.

Amazing night and the opening bands were cool too, I'm sure it was sold out both nights.

Don't have any other concert planned other than when Steven Wilson comes to FL in December.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Cram, I love your videos  :lol Awesome stuff!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: September 28, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »
Cram, I love your videos  :lol Awesome stuff!

Thanks man  :metal  Now if only my progpower video will upload...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2018, 03:30:50 AM »
Got tickets for Spiritualized 15th of march in Amsterdam  :angel:

Seeing Agent Fresco and Leprous tonight. Damn, Agent Fresco were spicy!
:metal :metal
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2018, 04:50:30 AM »
So I was in Malmö yesterday (sitting on a long train ride home now) for the Progressive Circus 2018 festival. Had a fantastic time seeing 5 acts that I had never seen before.... VUUR, iamthemorning, Promise and the Monster, Anneke van Giersbergen and Merit Hemmingsson. A link to a FB album with pics and video will follow...

Merit Hemmingsson started the evening with her folk infused music on just Hammond and drums. Have not listened to her before but bought two signed CDs from her in the paus.

Next up Anneke van Giersbergen solo, just her and an acoustic guitar. Some of her own material, Valley of the Queens (Ayren) and lots of covers, Wish you were here, Broken Wings, Wasted Years and the highlight for me Kate Bush Cloudbusting. No The Gentle Storm even though I shouted for it... but she promised it woul come later.
Wonderful voice and wonderful entertainer... soo charming

Promise and the Monster is a solo project but on the stage were three young women and one man. Billie Lindahl (whose project it is) stood upfront with an acoustic guitar and sang beautifully as did the keyboardist who also played flute and cymbal. Then we have violinist and last the man on drums and electric guitar at the same time, so mostly drumming by feet. He also played the guitar with a bow.... very atmospheric and mezmerizing music.

iamthemorning was in Sweden for the first time and they had brought a band, guitar, bass and drums in addition to Glebs keyboards. Marjana with bare feet and a white dress dancing across the stage singing beautifully was very mezmerizing and also told some funny stories in between the songs.
Got good eye contact with her at times and espescially at "Your house is on fire cause you were annoying and I threw the match in"... hope she didn't find me annoying ;-)
Highlight was maybe 5/4 which is such a great live song and where Marjana had the audience in total control for the handclapping parts.
Managed to get her to sign my Lighthouse CD in the paus but unfortunately Gleb was not around.

The end of the evening took it up a few notces... VUUR were amazing to see. All of them were really into it and had great contact with the audience. Anneke van Giersbergen totally ruled and really impressed with her voice. Lot's of songs from the album but also songs from Annekes earlier projects The Gathering and The Gentle Storm. When she introduced The Storm she pointed at me as I had shoted for The Gentle Storm during her solo concert.
Unfortunately it was a seated theater but there was lots of room infront of the first chairs so me and a friend sat on the floor just infront of the lead vocalist for all the evening rocking out, espescially during VUUR. At one point Anneke came up and gave us a high five.
Towards the end of the concert she got everyone to stand and rock out and I thought "In this moment we are free".

Fantastic night.... pics and videos below

https://m.facebook.com/martin.sandberg.334/albums/1581680211968041/?ref=bookmarks

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
Towards the end of the concert she got everyone to stand and rock out and I thought "In this moment we are free".

:metal :metal amazing, I am watching some of my own VUUR clips and I am thinking how these videos do no justice for the power in her voice.  Like you could feel it vibrating your body in real life that you just can't capture in video/audio.  Sounds like you had a great time.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »

:metal :metal amazing, I am watching some of my own VUUR clips and I am thinking how these videos do no justice for the power in her voice.  Like you could feel it vibrating your body in real life that you just can't capture in video/audio.  Sounds like you had a great time.

Oh yes.... she can sing anything and it is fantastic.. was so glad to get both sides of her too.
The rest of the evening was amazing too.... started at 4:00 and kept going until 23:00 with just very short intermissions.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #428 on: September 30, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
.. was so glad to get both sides of her too.

You lucky bastard.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: September 30, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
The rest of the evening was amazing too.... started at 4:00 and kept going until 23:00 with just very short intermissions.

So it went on for nineteen hours then? :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: September 30, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »

So it went on for nineteen hours then? :biggrin:

Strangeley enough it only felt like about 7  ;)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2018, 03:17:42 AM »
Halestorm were pretty good on Friday night, although a bit show-offy and they only played for 90 minutes, which always leave me feeling short-changed after making the trip down to That There London.
But the surprise of the night were the support band, Avatar. I'd never heard of these guys, but by God they were funny, and their lead singer is one of the most charismatic frontmen I've seen, part Alice Cooper, part Jack Nicholson and part Pennywise the Clown. Been a long time since I saw a band upstaged by the support act...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #432 on: October 03, 2018, 03:48:45 AM »
Just saw Terry Bozzio in Seattle. Just a one man show on a monster drum kit and all kinds of percussive instruments. So glad I went, this guy is an incredible drummer/percussionist and takes such a musical approach to the drums.  I've never heard drums perfectly tuned to all the musical notes before, including octaves.  It's like a one man symphony on drums.  If you would like to have a unique experience, go check him out on this tour.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #433 on: October 03, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
Update time, moving Amorphis to the 'seen' section, and man did they kick ass.

Intervals/Jason Richardson
Orphaned Land/Tyr/Aeternam/Ghost Ship Octavius
Tesseract
BtBaM/Born of Osiris/Erra/Allegeon
Rob Zombie/Marylin Manson
Gloryhammer/Alestorm
Amorphis/Dark Tranquility/Moonspell

In two days...
Progstock with IQ/ Mystery/Enchant/Evership/Micheal Sadler, Saga/IZZ/Orpheus Nine/In Continuum/Flying Dreams/Tom Brislin/UK

and in November....
Haken/Leprous

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #434 on: October 03, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
Update time, moving Amorphis to the 'seen' section, and man did they kick ass.

indeed they did
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #435 on: October 04, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »
Halestorm were pretty good on Friday night, although a bit show-offy and they only played for 90 minutes, which always leave me feeling short-changed after making the trip down to That There London.
But the surprise of the night were the support band, Avatar. I'd never heard of these guys, but by God they were funny, and their lead singer is one of the most charismatic frontmen I've seen, part Alice Cooper, part Jack Nicholson and part Pennywise the Clown. Been a long time since I saw a band upstaged by the support act...

Different support act (Devilskin from New Zealand) but same feeling. Devilskin was a great opener with a fantastic female singer.
Halestorm was good but a 'been there done that' kind of show. They bring a lot of energy and the songs are pretty catchy but they should make a next step in songwriting and overall performance.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #436 on: October 04, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
I really liked the Halestorm concert this year, and they sounded great!  I wish Lzzy Hale would use more variations in her voice instead of just screaming at us most of the time. I prefer her cleaner tone over her raspy tone anytime. The raspy tone would be fine if used at just the necessary times, but it's a little overkill at this point.
 And yes, I agree they need to step it up in the lyrical department. I could care less about her sexual explorations, those kind of lyrics have no depth, just self indulgent..lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: October 04, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
Lots of DTFers coming to NJ for ProgStock this weekend.  I finally got in touch with someone at ProgStock who said it's cool to bring a camera so I am going to get a ticket for Saturday (I was leaning on going, but glad they dont have a no camera policy because as I'm sure everyone knows, I love capturing video of concerts).  I won't lie when I say I am more into the crew heading to the show than the actual bands, but even at $85 for a ticket, I think it's kind of a steal for the amount of music plus a meet and greet with the bands.  I just simply don't know these bands, although I've been listening to a lot of IQ today and yesterday.  I'm not sure I'll check out the early bands, but I think I'll see the last two for sure.

October 6th - IQ and Enchant @ Progstock, Rahway NJ

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #438 on: October 05, 2018, 05:22:53 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

I'll add you to our chat n on FB...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #439 on: October 05, 2018, 05:27:08 PM »
Just saw Terry Bozzio in Seattle. Just a one man show on a monster drum kit and all kinds of percussive instruments. So glad I went, this guy is an incredible drummer/percussionist and takes such a musical approach to the drums.  I've never heard drums perfectly tuned to all the musical notes before, including octaves.  It's like a one man symphony on drums.  If you would like to have a unique experience, go check him out on this tour.  :tup
Yeah, we caught that down here. Really cool thing to see. Seven and Seven was the highlight for me since it was the only song I actually understood while he was playing it. Seeing that a member of the same species as I can play a separate time with each foot while playing variations of a third up top really makes me feel inadequate. Thankfully, I can accept that he's a mutant so I'm therefore the normal one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
Yeah, we caught that down here. Really cool thing to see. Seven and Seven was the highlight for me since it was the only song I actually understood while he was playing it. Seeing that a member of the same species as I can play a separate time with each foot while playing variations of a third up top really makes me feel inadequate. Thankfully, I can accept that he's a mutant so I'm therefore the normal one.

Hey, i interviewed Terry when he was preparing for the tour: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-terry-bozzio/

And here's my review of his concert here in Toronto: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/concert-reviews/terry-bozzio-september-2018/

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »
Going to see Toots and the Maytals on Wednesday for my reggae fix  :hat

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: October 15, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
Going to see Toots and the Maytals on Wednesday for my reggae fix  :hat

Nice, was thinking and had scheduled myself to see Dirty Heads this Wednesday to get my reggae fix and I feel like I am debating that now.  With Metallica this weekend in PA, I am thinking this Wednesday night concert might be too much this week with the way work is going (already tried to get my to work Saturday, but hell no I paid a lot of money for Metallica and our room for the night).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: October 19, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
Got a new car and ready for the road trip to my Alma Mater tomorrow for the sold out Metallica show at Penn State's campus arena.  Floor tickets, going to be awesome to see this show in Happy Valley.   :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: October 21, 2018, 03:33:49 AM »
Pain of Salvation's concert here in November was moved to March 2019. :-\ I was kinda looking forward to it. So I guess no concerts left for this year.

Next year looks good though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #445 on: October 21, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
Saw Metallica last night at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA.  It was my first time seeing them (I didn't get the chance to see them last time they were in the area) and I thought the band sounded great.  I also had never been to a show where they had a live DJ, a mini game show (hosted by Jim Breuer), and a singalong before the concert.  While it made it a late night, it was also an interesting and entertaining one. 

My videos:

1. Jim Breuer Intro - https://youtu.be/5S52juB5zDY

2. Hardwired/Atlas, Rise! - https://youtu.be/prbNmCiy5QQ

3. Fade to Black - https://youtu.be/8xLtswMbN0A

4. Creeping Death - https://youtu.be/Ckv0qiIjv8A

5. For Whom the Bell Tolls - https://youtu.be/Y4MT2sJcFY0

6. The Nittany Lion - https://youtu.be/PLsKiDs7aqw

7. Fuel - https://youtu.be/NbnhAqA-UHs

8. Moth Into Flame - https://youtu.be/CBf_Ewn9rSo

9. James Speaks/Sad But True - https://youtu.be/MsoJRzzPr74

10. One/Master of Puppets - https://youtu.be/Y-nHD4JHWbs

11. Nothing Else Matters - https://youtu.be/oLiABzHnkRU

12. Enter Sandman - https://youtu.be/RdHIBD46KnE

-Stef

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #446 on: October 22, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »
Gonna check out Trivium Thursday night. I saw them open for In Flames quite a few years ago,  but i hadn't heard of them at the time. I'm looking forward to seeing them again now that I'm actually a fan.  Avatar is opening,  so that's a bonus too   ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: October 22, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
I was also at the Metallica concert at the Penn State campus arena.  Must say it was kind of a bizarre experience.  It was sold out and there was an away football game.  My friend and I went to a bar to watch and booze before the show.  It was sold out, but the atmosphere was pretty quiet and tame in the town and at the arena.  It definitely on the outside didn't feel like a metal concert.  None the less, once we got inside.  It definitely didnt feel like a metal concert.  There was no alcohol being sold.  Walked the entire arena, people holding cups of water, no beer.  Asked a cop who said he didn't know if there was booze and that it is hit or miss at the venue.  I know they don't sell booze at college games, but thought they would sell it for a concert.  Must say I was severely dissapointed.  Things started to make sense then.  There were A LOT of families there.  Lots of young kids too.  Kids were on the barrier, in the front rows.  Our Uber driver had told us earlier it was family weekend at PSU.  I guess that explains the tameness to the entire campus for a Saturday  :lol

Jim Breuer opened the show.  I really enjoyed his first bit, he did sort of a stand up routine but focused about Metallica and being a metal fan.  Something a lot of the crowd could relate to.  I thought it was cool, then he left for a bit and had a DJ play select metal songs.  Jim came back from the rafters and gave some random people upgraded seats.  More DJ, Jim comes back says Metallica is coming soon, more DJ, Jim comes back and has some fans play a Metallica trivia game on stage, more DJ, Jim comes back says Metallica is coming on now, more DJ.  Finally Metallica hit the stage.  I didn't think Jim Breuer was bad himself, just more of the structure.  I think they could have done the trivia and free upgrade stuff early on and then have him end with his stand up routine (the part that was actually engaging and interesting) before introducing Metallica. 

Anyway, Metallica kicked ass. Not a single mosh pit or really active crowd at all on the floor though.  For a sold out and record breaking crowd for the arena, it sure was tame.  Probably due to no booze.  I liked this set list a bit more than what I saw the first time seeing Metallica 1.5 years ago.  We got Holier Than Thou and Blackened which were probably the highlights of the show for me.  During the Rob and Kirk solo they brought out sheet music and they attempted to play Hail to the Lion for the Penn State crowd.  It was terrible  :lol  It wasn't recognizable and the crowd was crickets.  When they said they were going to do it, I thought it would be amazing if they got the crowd to sing along, instead it sounded way off and I guess everyone else felt the same.   At the end they threw cup fulls of guitar pics into the crowd.  My friend and I both got one.

Concert was pretty awesome overall, but I would have rather seen this show somewhere else sad to say.  I don't think I will go back to my Alma Mater for a concert again.

Metallica with Jim Breuer LIVE @ Sold Out Bryce Jordan Center Penn State

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:30:59 PM by cramx3 »

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #448 on: October 25, 2018, 07:30:44 AM »
Went to see Rocktopia yesterday in Greensburg, PA.  For those who are not familiar with them, they mix classical/orchestral/opera music with popular rock songs that make for quite a musical experience.  I've seen the show 4 times now and each time it was a little different, either with new band members, more musicians, or new songs.  Last night's performance included guest vocalists Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Constantine Maroulis and James Valenti.

Videos:

1.  Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (Rachmaninoff) / Alone (Heart) - https://youtu.be/7AupRT3S_SU

2.  Symphony No. 7 Allegretto (Beethoven) / Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) - https://youtu.be/A205FwCkjuo

3.  Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd) / Uprising (Muse) - https://youtu.be/y6kihae1F1g

4.  Kashmir (Led Zeppelin) / Con Te Partirò (Sartori) - https://youtu.be/wDENewKbDm0

5.  Pictures at the Exhibition (Mussorgsky) / Where the Streets Have No Name (U2) - https://youtu.be/tceeaSYT-74

6.  Symphonie Fantastique (Berlioz) / Dream On (Aerosmith) - https://youtu.be/6D-amUiiXh4

7.  Finale - Mars (Holst) / Space Oddity (Bowie) / Adagio for Strings (Barbor) / Who Wants To Live Forever (Queen) / Champions (Queen) / Ode to Joy (Beethoven) / Don't Stop Believin' (Journey) - https://youtu.be/LVme73CYUyQ

8.  Rhapsody In Blue (Gershwin) / Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) - https://youtu.be/crdwxi7WWDA

Upcoming shows:
Something Rotten - State College, PA
Bela Fleck - State College, PA
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - State College
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Pittsburgh, PA

-Stef

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: October 25, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »
8th Nov -  Def Leppard/Scorpions ............first time Scorps have toured Australia was the clincher.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: October 25, 2018, 07:49:49 AM »
8th Nov -  Def Leppard/Scorpions ............first time Scorps have toured Australia was the clincher.

wow that is a killer duo  :metal

next up is Haken/Leprous in NYC next weekend

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #451 on: October 25, 2018, 08:04:01 AM »
Only 2 gigs left to go this year, on consecutive nights too:

8 Dec - Nightwish
9 Dec - Spock's Beard/The Flower Kings
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #452 on: October 25, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »

Enjoy the show!  I saw Def Leppard and Journey in Nashville and the show was fantastic.  The drummer for Def Leppard was so moved by the crowd reaction to his solo.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 25, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »

Enjoy the show!  I saw Def Leppard and Journey in Nashville and the show was fantastic.  The drummer for Def Leppard was so moved by the crowd reaction to his solo.

Yea, I went to this show twice and loved it.  I think the Scorpions are better than Journey though, so I think that show would be more interesting to me personally.  Scorpions played here last year and were really good.  I don't think I've ever been let down by Def Leppard out of the 5 times I've seen them and their new setlist for the Hysteria tour is fantastic.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:05 AM »
So I've got Circles and Caligula's Horse tomorrow! I'm well pumped for this and Circles are really growing on me.

Then Slayer/Lamb of God/Obituary on Wednesday  :metal