Author Topic: Your concerts for 2018  (Read 34300 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Your concerts for 2018
« Reply #385 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »
Awesome. Guess now I'll add

11/3 -  Coheed and Cambria w/ Maps & Atlases, Thank You Scientist

Our show is the start of the tour, so no knowing the setlist beforehand. Guarantee though they'll play the usual shit I complain about.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: September 12, 2018, 09:23:45 AM »
Last Monday I saw Ozzy Osbourne and Stone Sour.  It was a really fun show.  Packed house, not an empty seat, but I feel bad for those on the lawn as it was pouring all night and it was just pure mud up there.  But down in the bowl level, it was nice and toasty with a pretty dead crowd for Stone Sour that turned energetic for Ozzy.  Corey kept yelling at the crowd to wake up  :lol but this venue is fairly consistent to not be a crazy crowd, especially for the opener.  Stone Sour wasn't bad, had a few songs I enjoyed and I thought Corey did one hell of a job being a front man.  I knew he was good with Slipknot having seen them before but this was my first taste of Stone Sour.

Ozzy came on and he was pretty energetic and I thought he mostly sounded good for someone almost 70.  Of course except between songs when he talked and then you couldn't understand him.  I did find it a bit annoying that almost every minute he said to put your hands in the air.  It was worse than Bloodbound at PP  :lol but I'll admit, it was still fun, just like Bloodbound.  The highlight of the night had to be the encore though.  They performed the song "Mama, I'm coming home" and as soon as it ended Ozzy made it clear he was not happy with his performance on the song and insisted to the band they play it again, which they did  :rollin I've never seen something like that before at a concert, especially from a top headlining act actually admitting his performance was shit and looking for a do over.  That was funny.  I'll say I didn't like that he played a few Black Sabbath songs.  They were good live and all, but it's an Ozzy show and he has lots of his own songs that I feel would be cool to see instead.  Also Zakk Wylde was pretty nasty on guitar, but he also did a solo that seemed to last forever.  I wish they did another song instead, but his performance overall was really awesome.  And that closes out my summer attending shows at that venue  :'(

Ozzy Osbourne and Stone Sour LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #387 on: September 12, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Also Zakk Wylde was pretty nasty on guitar, but he also did a solo that seemed to last forever.  I wish they did another song instead, but his performance overall was really awesome.
Longer than the Sabbath drum solo 2 years ago? The reality is that Ozzy needs a few long solo spots to rest, drink the blood of virgins, get a b-12 shot, etc. That's not a knock on the guy, as you said he's ancient, but a reality. It's not all that different from Van Halen or Def Leppard using long solo spots to drink, do blow, and bang groupies.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: September 12, 2018, 09:58:43 AM »
Also Zakk Wylde was pretty nasty on guitar, but he also did a solo that seemed to last forever.  I wish they did another song instead, but his performance overall was really awesome.
Longer than the Sabbath drum solo 2 years ago? The reality is that Ozzy needs a few long solo spots to rest, drink the blood of virgins, get a b-12 shot, etc. That's not a knock on the guy, as you said he's ancient, but a reality. It's not all that different from Van Halen or Def Leppard using long solo spots to drink, do blow, and bang groupies.

Yea, but this was definitely over 10 minutes.  Much longer than any solo spot I've seen from other bands including those mentioned, and then the drum solo started after so it was close to 20 minutes without Ozzy.  I understand he needs breaks, but spreading it out would have been better for the show IMO, but then again maybe this is better for Ozzy. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
Talked to my bud, he said there's no back story to the ducks at the Atmore fountain, they just started appearing a few years ago. The big duck he confirmed is a regular part of Alestorm's set. Which means I get to tear that fucker up Friday!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: September 12, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »
 :lol

I really want to see the show when it comes to NYC but it sold out and tickets are listed at over $200 on stubhub.  That's insane.  Good for them for being a big draw, but shit that's more than the cost for the 2 nights of ProgPower

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
So I'm noticing that the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is playing in Ontario, CA at the Citizens Business Bank Arena on December 1st and I saw that there's a Groupon deal for $50.00 for a $83.25 ticket and the seats is in the 200 sections on the left and right side of the arena as close to the stage as it can get for the 200 sections.

Are their shows really good in terms of stage production and musicianship?  Should I spend the $50.00 and the one hour drive to see them even if I don't know their stuff?

I also note that there's a 3:30PM show and a 7:30PM show.  Is there any differences between the afternoon show and evening show?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2018, 07:27:16 PM »
Can't help you with the TSO questions, but tonight things are looking up for me.

Got ahead of my work in Denver and have tonight free now so I am going to check this out:

Alice in Chains @ Fillmore Auditorium, Denver CO

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »

I really want to see the show when it comes to NYC but it sold out and tickets are listed at over $200 on stubhub.  That's insane.  Good for them for being a big draw, but shit that's more than the cost for the 2 nights of ProgPower

Hearing stuff like that makes me grateful that the metal scene in the bay area is less than stellar. Bought mine yesterday for 20$

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: September 13, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »

Hearing stuff like that makes me grateful that the metal scene in the bay area is less than stellar. Bought mine yesterday for 20$

I told my gf, who likes alestorm too, after PP that I would love to actually go to that NYC show now (I only didn't want to because I figured Id see both bands at PP and a Tuesday in NYC is tough).  I think she looked to buy tickets for us because its near my bday (and I know for a fact she's been looking for a bday gift) but it's just insane.  I told her I bet face value was closer to 30 and that up price is just absurd for this type of music. 

But on another level, I'm super happy for these bands.  It shows there's a demand for this which is nice to see.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #395 on: September 15, 2018, 03:01:40 AM »
So I'm noticing that the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is playing in Ontario, CA at the Citizens Business Bank Arena on December 1st and I saw that there's a Groupon deal for $50.00 for a $83.25 ticket and the seats is in the 200 sections on the left and right side of the arena as close to the stage as it can get for the 200 sections.

Are their shows really good in terms of stage production and musicianship?  Should I spend the $50.00 and the one hour drive to see them even if I don't know their stuff?

I also note that there's a 3:30PM show and a 7:30PM show.  Is there any differences between the afternoon show and evening show?

TSO always puts on a great show with lots of lights, lasers, and pyro.  As for performers, since you'll have the West tour, you'll have Al Pitrelli, Jeff Scott Soto, Blas Elias, Mats Leven, Johnny Lee Middleton, Chloe Lowery, Vitalij Kuprij and other great talent in the lineup.  $50 is well worth the price.

The only difference between the afternoon and the evening show is that after the evening show there is a signing line where you can meet the performers and get pictures and autographs.  Other than that it's the same show.

Here's one of my videos of last year's show (East tour) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAOI9HtOkmg

Hope this helps.

-S

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #396 on: September 15, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
^^ Oh, that really helps a lot.  Didn't really need to take much convincing to get a ticket.  Decided to go for the 3:30PM show  The only thing I'm really dragged about it the drive.  If only, they were willing to do the Honda Center, that would make things a lot easier in terms of commute.  I'm sure the $50.00 is worth it for all of these production values.  With that bought, these are my final concerts for the year.  Five concerts overall, this year.  Not bad.

Owl City - House of Blues, Anaheim, CA - October 2nd
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Citizens Business Bank Arena, Ontario, CA - December 1st.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:52:26 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #397 on: September 15, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »

I told my gf, who likes alestorm too, after PP that I would love to actually go to that NYC show now (I only didn't want to because I figured Id see both bands at PP and a Tuesday in NYC is tough).  I think she looked to buy tickets for us because its near my bday (and I know for a fact she's been looking for a bday gift) but it's just insane.  I told her I bet face value was closer to 30 and that up price is just absurd for this type of music. 

But on another level, I'm super happy for these bands.  It shows there's a demand for this which is nice to see.

They actually came close to selling out the Oakland Metro, which I've only seen Anathema do. The show itself was fucking insane. As I said, I went to see Gloryhammer, and they delivered everything I expected. Alestorm was a whole new level of goofy fun. The best part though was that crowd. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd that criminally insane for their band. From the costumes, the pirate flags, how everyone knew every damn word, the energy, it was truly something else. One fucker even had a little pirate puppet that headbanged to the show. The other highlight was one kid who was dressed up as a gnome for Gloryhammer. She was in the very front and was more into it than I have ever been for any show. Ever. I swear I spent half the show watching her and laughing my ass off. Her passion was beyond insane, and holy crap she even went crowd surfing. Way too much fun man.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »
Went on a ticket buying binge today, so Amorphis in two weeks and Haken in Nov are officially official now.

So let's do a full recap...

Intervals/Jason Richardson
Orphaned Land/Tyr/Aeternam/Ghost Ship Octavius
Tesseract
BtBaM/Born of Osiris/Erra/Allegeon
Rob Zombie/Marylin Manson
Gloryhammer/Alestorm

And to come...

Amorphis/Dark Tranquility/Moonspell
Progstock with IQ/ Mystery/Enchant/Earthrise/and a ton of others I can't remember right now
Haken/Leprous

Still waffling on Angra, since I gotta drive up to Sacramento for that one, and if I had to work the next morning it'd hella suck.

All in all, a stellar year as is, and their might still be more to come.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »

They actually came close to selling out the Oakland Metro, which I've only seen Anathema do. The show itself was fucking insane. As I said, I went to see Gloryhammer, and they delivered everything I expected. Alestorm was a whole new level of goofy fun. The best part though was that crowd. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd that criminally insane for their band. From the costumes, the pirate flags, how everyone knew every damn word, the energy, it was truly something else. One fucker even had a little pirate puppet that headbanged to the show. The other highlight was one kid who was dressed up as a gnome for Gloryhammer. She was in the very front and was more into it than I have ever been for any show. Ever. I swear I spent half the show watching her and laughing my ass off. Her passion was beyond insane, and holy crap she even went crowd surfing. Way too much fun man.

That's awesome.  It's funny how you talk about people dressed up.  The last day of PP as it got closer to Alestorm's set, you started seeing more and more pirates hanging around.  And the blow up swords  :yarr

What's the deal with Prog stock? That's in my back yard

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #400 on: September 16, 2018, 07:03:56 AM »

What's the deal with Prog stock? That's in my back yard

Three day prog music festival in Rahway. Main draw, for most of us, is IQ and their first US performance in years. They're the reason I'm travelling across country (and to hang with my daughter of course). Also of note playing are Enchant, Mystery, Evership, and Michael Sadler. There's a gang of us DTFers meeting up for the show, including Jingle, Nick, King and the queen, DrDVT, Axeman, and Splent. One night tix just went on sale if you wanna catch IQ on Saturday, or if it's that close to where you live just come hang and have lunch with us or something.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:43:55 AM by lonestar »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #401 on: September 16, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »
Cram, get you ass there Saturday night.

Also Haken Leporus and Bent Knee in Nov.

December I'm seeing David Crosby. My ears will be pleased with the best harmonies ever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
Cram, get you ass there Saturday night.

You guys are my draw  :biggrin: I don't know any of those bands and it's kind of expensive for just Saturday night, but I'd like to either actually go or meet up with you all at some point so keep me in the loop.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »
You've never heard of Enchant?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
I'd go just for IQ. Too bad its way over there though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »

It's the only reason I'm going cross country.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: September 16, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »

It's the only reason I'm going cross country.

It's a bit too far for me but I would really love to see IQ again and this time doing one of my favorite albums, Ever, in full.....

Envious!!!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2018, 01:35:08 AM »
Saw Pain of Salvation on Saturday and they were amazing. Great mix of old and new songs, (although I missed some 'hits') and Daniel looks fantastic, like in the days of The Perfect Element, great stage presence and humour. Also, he asked for a sweater because he was freezing on stage and got a band-hoody. A swede that's complaining about the cold?  :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2018, 02:46:34 AM »
I REALLY wanted to see PoS this year but they played like 2 or 3 dates in the UK, and the only one I was free for was a 3+ hour drive away  :tdwn

Oh well, got Leprous and Agent Fresco on Sunday  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2018, 02:51:51 AM »
I'm seeing PoS in November, glad to hear they're in good form these days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
If I can get Sunday 30th off work then I have the chance to see Deafheaven/Inter Arma, followed by MONO the following night. Really hope I can catch both of these as the tickets are pretty cheap.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »
A follow up from last week...

Had a really fun time at Alice in Chains while I was in Denver for work.  Denver concerts have been so much fun, this was my 4th time this year catching a show out there.  This was at the Fillmore Auditorium which was just a huge GA pit, with some second floor VIP seating, but as soon as you walk in you just notice how big this floor was for an indoor venue.  I googled and it holds 3,900 people and it apparently sold out at the door (I scalped my ticket walking in for face value minus the fees, so saved about 15 bucks).  I got there right as the opener was ending and it was already full, so pretty much impossible to get anywhere close, but the venue had like a ring around it of slightly raised standing room so there were some spots along the sides where I could get a decent view.  I've never really been an AiC fan.  I always liked them the most of the big four from Seattle, but never really got into them.  My friend had been trying to get me into them for the last few months and it was probably him as the reason why I went to this show.  I knew like half the songs they played since I had familiarized myself with them more recently due to this friend.  I really thought they were a solid live band.  I know people shit on the singer, but he sounded and performed good for me.  I did end up spending maybe 20 minutes of their set chilling outside in the smoking section though.  I was having a lot of fun talking to people out there, just everyone is so friendly at these Denver concerts  :hat  Anyway, AiC won me over a bit.  I don't think I'll ever totally love them, but after 25 years since I first heard them as a kid, it was cool to check them out and have a good time doing so.

Alice in Chains LIVE @ Fillmore Auditorium Denver CO

And this concert was just announced yesterday so I am waiting for the presale at 10am to scoop up a couple tickets.  I think this will sell out fairly easily.  They had just headlined the local amphitheater here a few weeks ago (I was in Amsterdam so couldn't attend) so playing at the local club to end their tour has got to be a hot selling show.  I want in.

12/13/18 - Breaking Benjamin @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #412 on: September 19, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
Added TSO, Testament, and Great White/Vixen to the list for this year and next.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2018, 05:10:07 AM »
I went to see The Hirsch Effekt for the second time this year and was blown away. Show and setlist were just as good if not better than the first, but the audience in Germany is obviously a little more into it than The Netherlands, and singing along all the time. Highlights were Limerent, Lysios, Lifnej, Bezoar and Cotard (almost half the set :lol)

Next week Deafheaven, not sure yet about October but confirmed shows for November are TesseracT / BTBAM / Plini and Zeal & Ardor :2metal:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »
 I'm seeing a hardcore/punk band tonight, Comeback Kid.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
I saw Leprous and Agent Fresco on thursday. Great to see an estimated 1000 people showed up in a venue that has a 1500 capacity.

Great show. I'm not too familiar with Agent Fresco but really enjoyed them.
Leprous was excellent. They sound fantastic live and play with so much energy. I wish they would have played a few more of the older songs as half the setlist were Malina songs but that's the only minor comment.
Couldn't keep my eyes of Baard, amazing drummer :metal

Next shows:
Halestorm
Sons of Apollo
Progressive Alliance festival (with Ihsahn, Ne Obliviscaris, Vuur, the Ocean and others

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
Progressive Alliance festival (with Ihsahn, Ne Obliviscaris, Vuur, the Ocean and others
I'm almost 100% positive that I'll be coming back that weekend to catch this show! Have yet to see NeO and Ihsahn live.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
Seeing Agent Fresco and Leprous tonight. Damn, Agent Fresco were spicy!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2018, 11:42:00 PM »
Amorphis fucking killed it, very impressive show. Dark Tranquility was solid too. Moonspell musically was good, but the singer wore on me really quickly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: September 25, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »

So I definitely have the best girlfriend.  After I had given up on the idea of seeing this Alestorm show, my girlfriend had not and prices dropped to a much better 60 bucks per ticket and she scooped two of them up for my birthday present.   Which I found out lats night and the show is tonight so another concert to add to my list...

September 25th - Alestorm and Gloryhammer @ Gramercy Theater, New York NY

and the rest of my concert schedule for the year:

October 17th - Dirty Heads @ Playstation Theater, New York City, NY
October 20th - Metallica @ Bryce Jordan Center, University Park PA
November 3rd - Haken and Leprous @ Highline Ballroom, New York City, NY
December 1st - Steven Wilson @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 13th - Breaking Benjamin @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 15th - Ghost @ Barclays Center, Brooklyn NJ