Author Topic: Dream Theater Indonesian changed venues last minute.  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Drinktheater

Dream Theater Indonesian changed venues last minute.
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
They are originally to perform at the Prambanan Temple but archeologists are afraid that JPs Rig is so Powerful that it could destroy Temples!

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/lifestyle/metal-band-dream-theater-moves-concert-unesco-world-heritage-site-prambanan-temple-amid-complaints/

And she listens openly

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: Dream Theater Indonesian changed venues last minute.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
Ha! The guys in DT are such troublemakers. :lol

"Another potential cultural pitfall Dream Theater needs to avoid is holding up another modified version of the Indonesian flag, which is illegal and almost got them investigated by the police after they held one up the last time they played in Jakarta in 2014"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
Well, it would have been awesome for playing there, but if a jazz concert caused problems with the vibrations, it's the correct choice to move the show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
Well, it would have been awesome for playing there, but if a jazz concert caused problems with the vibrations, it's the correct choice to move the show.

Imagine what "As I am" will do to the temples!

And she listens openly

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:06:22 PM »
That's hilarious.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
 "Home to tear the temples down, home to CHANGE"
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
Who in the world booked that venue in the first place?  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:46:14 AM »

Well, if it could be booked, it means that someone could offer it up as a music venue (see the jazz concert mentioned in the article). I doubt a promoter would call the authorities and say "Hey, I saw that nice temple, how about we organize a concert there?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 04:34:35 AM »
Obviously. But someone inviting a really loud band to come and play in a place that can't support such a sound is a ridiculous idea from the start.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 04:38:32 AM »
Prambanan temple is not enough for the Dear Lord of prog John  Petrucci!

A bigger stronger Temple must be built to honor him or he will vanquish us!
And she listens openly

Offline Skeever

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
I really don't understand why they would have wanted to play in an ancient temple to begin with, unless it's the kind of place that regularly holds concerts? Sure it would look cool but the idea of a band swooping in and playing a gig at a sacred site leaves a pretty poor taste with me. 

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:30 AM »
By the looks of it if they have gone with the original venue it will be an open air concert which may not be the smartest idea. Indonesia like any other South East Asian country gets very rainy and even stormy during this  time of the year. You don't want the Band and the audience getting drench in the Monsoon rains!.

I thought about watching DT in Indonesia before because it seems they will never go to Manila but since the Manila leg came up, no need for me to travel to another country but it still intrigued me since I have some Indonesian friends who loves DT and it seems Indonesian fans are really cool too!

The Indonesian leg will be on the 29th and the 30th because the tickets sold out so very fast!
And she listens openly

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:48:53 PM »

The local promoter probably thought it was some band playing light dream sequence music.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 03:20:41 PM »

The local promoter probably thought it was some band playing light dream sequence music.

That promoter won't probably have much of a job when this is said and done then.  I don't think DT intentionally asks what particular venues they have in mind when coming to a certain area.  If there's a weird location/venue that happens to host concerts successfully and safely, and the promoter offers them to play a show there, I think they want to play in it.  That stated, if the promoters offered them to play in a standard indoor theater/arena in Indonesia in the first place, DT would not hesitate to play there. 

I'm sure the promoter's pitch must have been something that convinces them to play near this temple.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:26:52 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »
I thought that technically DT were headlining a festival? 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 04:49:12 AM »
This place in Italy hosts by now quite some pop concerts and even Black Sabbath played there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verona_Arena

I'm sure DT would go for it if the offer is sound and reasonable, as it must have looked the offer for that temple.