Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 38274 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 4 RESULTS
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
Even though it's not "rock" or "metal" per se, given the Gene Simmons avatar I'd have thought that music that actually moves like Vulfpeck would score higher than some of the type of this rigid, boring, vanilla prog metal that's getting scored highly. Different strokes I suppose but I'm genuinely surprised to see Stadler liking stuff like Threshold.

Some of that is on me, though.  I know what you're saying.   I can't explain it, but my bullshit meter kind of goes crazy with stuff like Vulfpeck.  I played in a band in Philly - I was a Mummer, for anyone that knows what that is - and our rehearsals would be a group of guys in a room, facing each other, and jamming for three hours.  Best times of my (musical) life, and there were guys in that room (not me) that were as able as any of the "heroes" we worship, but for various reasons (usually either "kids" or "their own heads"), they didn't get out.   And a lot of those guys were aware of their ability, but were, for lack of a better word, bitter, and so there was no pretense, no bullshit, no playing around.   No "look how cool I am" because the guy next to you was invariably way cooler.  It was just about playing for fun, and getting the best version of whatever it was we were trying to get to.   So I don't really like "musical superiority" or "musical snobbery" very much.   

It's kind of why I love Kiss so much.  Yeah, money, I get it, but they make no bones about what they do and why they do it, and I love that.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would say I'm probably one of the .01% of people on this forum who stand with you in thinking that Kiss are/were a million times better than most self-described "prog" metal. Why? Because, although they weren't the best players, they fundamentally understood that rock music was supposed to move you, that rules are meant to be broken, and that music is something that energizes and empowers. Ironically, it seems like the only place I consistently find this mentality anymore is in hip hop, funk, rap, soul, electronic music, and other related genres. Ironically, I don't find this approach in rock, no matter how hard I try, and even less often do I find it from "prog" metal bands, who compose as if they are doing a project for a music theory seminar. Anyway, I don't want to derail your roulette, but I genuinely thought you might be able to appreciate my perspective.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »
Even though it's not "rock" or "metal" per se, given the Gene Simmons avatar I'd have thought that music that actually moves like Vulfpeck would score higher than some of the type of this rigid, boring, vanilla prog metal that's getting scored highly. Different strokes I suppose but I'm genuinely surprised to see Stadler liking stuff like Threshold.

Some of that is on me, though.  I know what you're saying.   I can't explain it, but my bullshit meter kind of goes crazy with stuff like Vulfpeck.  I played in a band in Philly - I was a Mummer, for anyone that knows what that is - and our rehearsals would be a group of guys in a room, facing each other, and jamming for three hours.  Best times of my (musical) life, and there were guys in that room (not me) that were as able as any of the "heroes" we worship, but for various reasons (usually either "kids" or "their own heads"), they didn't get out.   And a lot of those guys were aware of their ability, but were, for lack of a better word, bitter, and so there was no pretense, no bullshit, no playing around.   No "look how cool I am" because the guy next to you was invariably way cooler.  It was just about playing for fun, and getting the best version of whatever it was we were trying to get to.   So I don't really like "musical superiority" or "musical snobbery" very much.   

It's kind of why I love Kiss so much.  Yeah, money, I get it, but they make no bones about what they do and why they do it, and I love that.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would say I'm probably one of the .01% of people on this forum who stand with you in thinking that Kiss are/were a million times better than most self-described "prog" metal. Why? Because, although they weren't the best players, they fundamentally understood that rock music was supposed to move you, that rules are meant to be broken, and that music is something that energizes and empowers. Ironically, it seems like the only place I consistently find this mentality anymore is in hip hop, funk, rap, soul, electronic music, and other related genres. Ironically, I don't find this approach in rock, no matter how hard I try, and even less often do I find it from "prog" metal bands, who compose as if they are doing a project for a music theory seminar. Anyway, I don't want to derail your roulette, but I genuinely thought you might be able to appreciate my perspective.

I very much do appreciate your perspective.   I don't think we're coming at this fundamentally differently, but I think there's a difference between music that is what it is - and it moves you or doesn't - and music that is calculated to be a certain way.  I don't want to bad mouth Vulfpeck too much, because a) I don't want to hurt antigoon's feelings, b) I actually didn't think it was BAD, I just didn't like the vibe, and c) it's all music and therefore subjective, but it bugged me that I almost felt... left out, for lack of a better word, because (and again, I'm talking about two different songs here, but condensing them for space reasons) Joe Bart and Theo were so over the top expressing something that I patently wasn't feeling.   And I get it; I listen to a ton of music where that happens (I don't at all feel the rage in the heavier music I listen to) but it was almost condescending in a way that I can't put my finger on.  I'm going to piss people off here, maybe, but I don't see much difference in Theo doing the pitchy hand thing while singing - and thereby indicating how seriously he is, and by extension, we should be, taking this music - and any of the saccharine pop music that is calculated to be a certain way.  it's why I referenced Steely Dan in the writeup, because the Dan took their music painfully seriously, but we as the audience were never told that we had to too. 

It's also why I'm souring on Mike Portnoy a little bit, because I think the notion of "87 bands" has channeled him into calculating what he should play.  "This is my prog band, so I'm going to do THIS", and "this is my METAL band, so I'm going to do THIS".   The best part of Dream Theater to me was when you had James singing like Steve Perry from Journey, you had John playing like Alex Lifeson from Rush, you had Mike playing like a cross between Keith Moon and Ringo Starr, and Kevin playing like I don't know who, but not anyone in the prog or metal field, that's for sure.  And yet it worked.   

I've told this story before, but I took my kid to see Kiss in 2014, with Def Leppard opening.  Now, this wasn't nearly her first concert, or even her first rock concert, but after Def Leppard, she asked me "did they play all that or where they playing to a tape?", and I told her "they played every note except for a couple of keyboard things" (which was, as far as I can tell, true).   She couldn't believe people could play instruments like that.   Then Kiss came out and it was a lackluster show for the first four songs or so, then Gene's rig failed (he was left hanging about five feet off the stage) and he was PISSED.  You could palpably tell how angry he was, and you could see him barking at one of the roadies on the side of the stage.  And from that point on, even with Paul's now shitty voice, it was one of the best Kiss shows I've ever seen (I'm well into double digits at this point).  You could physically tell the band kicked it up a notch, and my daughter noticed it too.     The next day, she posted a screen shot of the explosions during RnRAN, and put the caption "Greatest night of my life."   

I'm way off on a tangent now, but it's my roulette so there.  :)   Good discussion. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »
I love Kiss but I don't really see the point in comparing them to progressive Metal. They appeal to very different sides of my musical tastes and (as far as I'm concerned) there's room for both.

Edit: Still trying to figure out what song to send, this is tricky.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #318 on: October 27, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
me when i listen to vulfpeck

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »

WTF did you even say??

Stadler, I (me) am getting a headache (though some may call it a pain in the cranium) because a) there's a lot of "(these things)" and b) there also many (a lot) of ("(these things)") in your posts.

I am interested in what you have to say, as in- relating your musical and (musical) related experiences. So when I see and therefore try (endeavor) to read, I get that "Oh cool, this guy has been around lets see what he has to say" feeling, except what usually happens is a) I get get so confused with 1) too much punctuation, and 2) too many lines of thought, and b) I forget what we are even talking about.

I am college educated -which was a great time(of course) which shows that a) I graduated high school, and b) I partied, though not like a "pin the tail on the donkey" party but 1) involved alcohol and 2) sometimes weed. But I get very confused, kind of in a "what is he talking about" way.

It's 1) like, or 2) similar to Prog Rock music. There are a) lots, and b) many, lines of thought occurring at the same times. It gives me a "wow something REALLY cool is happening" feeling. But sometimes-actually many times- it's difficult (read:hard) to 1) read, and 2) understand. It's "as if" there is some sort-or, type- of overload.

It's kind of like why I like KISS so much. Yeah words, I get it. But they make no bones about what they are trying to say, and why they say it, and I love that.

;D

Just trying to say that it is OK to post like KISS instead of Dream Theater.  :)

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
You (fucking) a) kill me, and b) make me laugh. :) :) :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »
 :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #322 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
Although Stadler's posts can be long, I usually think they're pretty clear and easy to follow - especially if they don't contain any analogies ;).

To the topic at hand - I'm sure there are exceptions, but the main reason I listen to the music that I listen to, is because I connect with it emotionally. It's why I listen to Dream Theater. I'm not a musician, I couldn't air drum accurately to a single DT song, and I don't understand a lot of music terminology, especially when it comes to guitar and various modes and things like that. For some reason, the music that I listen to just moves me. Sure, I'm impressed sometimes with the playing, but if that's all it was for me, I would just move on.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
Keep with the long posts Stadler.  It's like foreplay. :eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
I've never had a problem following Stadler's posts even when I'm higher than the ISS.  But damn, TAC, that is a funny post. :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:34 AM »
I feel like I should've been reading TAC's post in 11/14 time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2017, 11:27:12 AM »
Just trying to say that it is OK to post like KISS instead of Dream Theater.  :)

Where's the drawing of Hef with his book on writing succinctly when you need.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #327 on: October 27, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
I feel like I should've been reading TAC's post in 11/14 time.

TAC's post reads like it was composed as if he was doing a project for a music theory seminar
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2017, 05:33:14 AM »
WOW, more Vulfpeck fans here?  :omg:

Lol I think Dart was just feeling the groove. No comment on Theo's hand maneuvers :lol It's interesting that from your comments you seem to get an air of pretension from these guys when their whole thing basically is that they run a pretty much totally low-budget, DIY operation.
Very much this, judging from their live show they definitely don't take themselves too seriously, they're just some guys fooling around and funking it up. (and doing an amazing job at it  :angel:)

and I didn’t understand the ending.    At first I thought I was overthinking this, but then I realized that’s exactly what the band wants us to do, and so I feel I have no choice but to give it a… 7.5
I like how it's going from being loud and "rebellious" against war to worrying about the consequences. With the singers voice becomes thinner and more emotional and the background music fading and all.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: October 29, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »
WOW, more Vulfpeck fans here?  :omg:

Lol I think Dart was just feeling the groove. No comment on Theo's hand maneuvers :lol It's interesting that from your comments you seem to get an air of pretension from these guys when their whole thing basically is that they run a pretty much totally low-budget, DIY operation.
Very much this, judging from their live show they definitely don't take themselves too seriously, they're just some guys fooling around and funking it up. (and doing an amazing job at it  :angel:)

and I didn’t understand the ending.    At first I thought I was overthinking this, but then I realized that’s exactly what the band wants us to do, and so I feel I have no choice but to give it a… 7.5
I like how it's going from being loud and "rebellious" against war to worrying about the consequences. With the singers voice becomes thinner and more emotional and the background music fading and all.

Did you see their performance at the Loudwire Awards (which, by the by, was literally the worst awards show I've ever seen in my life, and that includes middle school academic awards I've attended about 15 times between my kids and me.) 

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
I just watched their performance of Go To War for the awards, and well the mixing is... terrible, kind of ruining their performance. I usually love watching their live video's as they bring so much energy to the stage, but this doesn't do them justice.

As for the ending, I really prefer the album version.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Question for Stadler regarding the Covers Round..

Does the band performing a cover have to be a band unfamiliar to you, or say, for example, Yngwie (assuming he's banned) covered a Van Halen song but you've never heard that, is that cool? Does that make sense?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
Question for Stadler.... is it officially a cover round?  I mean, I'm good to go, I've got a couple beauties to chose from, but it is a fairly limiting theme.  Takes options in my library from about 5000+, down to about 40
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
Yeah, bro. Check the OP. It's a Covers Round.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »
Seriously? I have no fucking idea of any suitable covers, and don't have time to dig through my library to find one. Plus I had the rest of the rounds already mapped out, now bands I could've sent earlier won't be sent at all.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2017, 09:27:57 PM »
Alright taking a risk with this one.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lethean

« Reply #336 on: October 29, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
What if you're not familiar with the original song? Would it be points off for that or is that ok?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2017, 04:31:47 AM »

Ok... I just hadn't gone back to the OP, figuring Stads would explicitly say so.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:51 AM »
What if you're not familiar with the original song? Would it be points off for that or is that ok?

Well, there's clearly confusion on our parts here Stads.  Are you looking for A) a SONG that is unknown to you, or B) a band that is unknown to you, C) both, or D) doesn't matter

Example A) Dream Theater doing a cover of some song you don't know. 
Example B) Some band doing a Dream Theater cover. 
Example C) Some band you don't know doing some song you don't know.
Example D) Dream Theater doing Stargazer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2017, 06:02:50 AM »

Ok... I just hadn't gone back to the OP, figuring Stads would explicitly say so.

Stadler and explicitly?

:neverusethis:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2017, 06:48:37 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:22 AM »

Stadler and explicitly?

:neverusethis:

I didn't say "concisely".   :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »
Okay.  I want this to be fun, not a chore.  So you get to vote:  "Yay" means you'll take a covers round, "Nay" means we go with an open round as before. 

IF WE DO A COVERS ROUND, you're fine with a SONG I've heard before, but the performing band can't be banned.  Meaning, Iron Maiden doing Montrose or Jethro Tull:  BANNED.     Your mom's metal band covering Iron Maiden:  ALLOWED. 

Not going to drag this out:  voting ends at 5:00 pm eastern today.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Yay.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
Yay!!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #345 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
Yay, because having the entire known collection of recorded music to pick from stresses me out :lol

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
yay

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »
Yay, because having the entire known collection of recorded music to pick from stresses me out :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
Nay... I've got a great cover in my pocket, but A) I'm standing with my bro-chef, and B) looks like my vote doesn't matter anyway.

I might just send this out of protest.   :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »
Nay

*notes who voted 'yay' and is also playing in my roulette...*