Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 38333 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
My order of who should be in:

Thin Lizzy (yes over Priest)
Judas Priest
The Cure
Jeff Buckley
Styx
Television
A Tribe Called Quest
Triumph
Linkin Park
Soul Asylum

Edit: BTW this is a way better list than most legit Rock Hall ballots.

I have a general theory that bands are as popular as they deserve; I do not (generally) agree with the notion that “if only people heard [X], they’d be as popular as U2!”.
I get what you're saying, but we are now talking about a genre that thrives on being underground. I agree, a lot of those “if only people heard [X], they’d be as popular as U2!" statements are misguided, but I think the RnRHOF should be more than what's popular. Metal and Punk in particular have a lot of bands that weren't well known but they were so critical to the shaping of the genre that they should be allowed in on influence alone. The fact that musicians are allowed on to the voting committee after being inducted makes me think that the Hall is at least trying to give off the impression that influence matters (although they have failed miserably in that area).

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #421 on: November 03, 2017, 01:41:38 AM »
So, am I the first person to ever send The Cure in a roulette or did Zander send it at some point?
i mean, two people sent them in the same round in my first roulette  :lol
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44434.msg2010395#msg2010395

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2017, 01:44:25 AM »
I received The Cure from seneca in my second roulette.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #423 on: November 03, 2017, 01:48:39 AM »
so yeah by several accounts lonestar is not the first to send the cure in a roulette

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #424 on: November 03, 2017, 04:31:41 AM »
I received The Cure from Ravenheart in my first roulette.

Glad you liked Jeff Buckley! He's certainly an interesting artist, once you start looking up his background and story. Such a tragedy that he had to pass away at such a young age. I wonder what he might have become if he hadn't died, but that said.. his death was also a catalyst for his fame and it added to the mystery surrounding him. He might not have become the well-known artist he is nowadays if that hadn't happened. Strange how things go sometimes.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #425 on: November 03, 2017, 04:01:32 PM »
I'm glad you liked the song this much! I didn't expect you to like their nu-metalish sound too much but I hoped a strong emotive piece like One More Light would connect a little. I'll probably send some post-rock for the instrumental round as I'm generally not a big fan of flashy show-of instrumentals  :P

I have a hard time supporting this band in this category because of an incredibly impactful event in the band’s life.
I mean they have also had a tremendous influence on rock music at the start of the 21st century...
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #427 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
So, am I the first person to ever send The Cure in a roulette or did Zander send it at some point?

Just talked to him.  Yes, he sent them a few times.

I guarantee I'm the only one to have sent White Lion.

Which is kind of like saying "I guarantee I'm the only one to wipe my boogers on the napkin dispenser at the Tastee-Freeze in Houston."   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: November 06, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
That is a rough score.

A bit, isn't it. I still don't understand how anybody who is a huge Iron Maiden fan can't simply love Thin Lizzy...especially Emerald. IMO, even if you don't like the vocals that tune is easily a 8.5 - 9.

Yup. Stadler better not even try and write one of those fancy posts with lots of punctuation and parentheses to try and confuse me to even justify it.

No fancy posts... it could be just me, but I respect Lizzy the way I respect the Yardbirds and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.    Awesome as the fertile ground of some amazing players, but the music itself...   I don't know.  The song just didn't take me anywhere.    "Massacre" - one of the four Lizzy songs I am familiar with - does nothing for me either.   One of my least favorite Maiden b-sides covers.  Honestly, and not trying to be a dick here, but I even wondered if 7.5 was high.

EDIT:  It doesn't help that I can't STAND "The Boys Are Back In Town" on every level.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #429 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »

Just talked to him.  Yes, he sent them a few times.

I guarantee I'm the only one to have sent White Lion.

Which is kind of like saying "I guarantee I'm the only one to wipe my boogers on the napkin dispenser at the Tastee-Freeze in Houston."

By far one of your best metaphors.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 06, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
I have a general theory that bands are as popular as they deserve; I do not (generally) agree with the notion that “if only people heard [X], they’d be as popular as U2!”.
I get what you're saying, but we are now talking about a genre that thrives on being underground. I agree, a lot of those “if only people heard [X], they’d be as popular as U2!" statements are misguided, but I think the RnRHOF should be more than what's popular. Metal and Punk in particular have a lot of bands that weren't well known but they were so critical to the shaping of the genre that they should be allowed in on influence alone. The fact that musicians are allowed on to the voting committee after being inducted makes me think that the Hall is at least trying to give off the impression that influence matters (although they have failed miserably in that area).

Look, don't get me started on the Rock and Roll Hall.    It's a clique and a fan club run by a guy with too much money and an ego to boot.    When the Pretenders and Laura Nyro are in and Rush, Maiden, and Kiss wait by on the outside... how many guitar players have "Laura Nyro" tattooed on their calf (ala Dime Bag and his Ace tat)?   Not a surprise that the plethora of NY bands (Blondie, the Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, Laura Nyro etc.) and SoCal southern rock bands (CSN, Eagles, Jackson Browne, etc.) - who not coincidentially espouse leftist politics a la Mr. Wenner - are all in almost as soon as they can reasonably be admitted, but the bands that have waited the longest - Ted Nugent, Rush, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Maiden - are the more obvious conservative/libertarian representatives in Rock.

Pearl Jam - Lefty social activists, IN
Soundgarden - Musical forefathers and influence, but not as overtly political, NOT

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Lefty social activists, IN
Jane's Addiction - Musical forefathers and influence, but not as overtly political, NOT

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: November 06, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
I've never even heard of Laura Nyro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: November 06, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
She is, however, in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and not coincidentally, dated Jackson Browne, dedicated a 1989 tour to the animal rights movement, wrote a protest song for an Academy Award winning documentary about the displaced Navajo Indians, declared her work the work of someone who believes in the peace movement and the woman's movement, and lived the last third of her life as a lesbian.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #433 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »
Stadler your inbox is full!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »
Fixed!!!!

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #435 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
She is, however, in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and not coincidentally, dated Jackson Browne, dedicated a 1989 tour to the animal rights movement, wrote a protest song for an Academy Award winning documentary about the displaced Navajo Indians, declared her work the work of someone who believes in the peace movement and the woman's movement, and lived the last third of her life as a lesbian.

So you're saying that if I were to go and date Jackson Browne, I'd have as much of a chance of getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as Ted Nugent?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »

So you're saying that if I were to go and date Jackson Browne, I'd have as much of a chance of getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as Ted Nugent?

MORE of a chance.   Steel Panther has a better chance of getting into the RnRHoF than Ted Nugent.   That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »
The evolution of Spanky over the course of this round.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »
Patience; I'm just trying to decide whether to give TAC a 2 or a 3.   

(No, seriously; I'll have results soon.  Been getting a lot of errors on YouTube which is slowing down the listening a LOT.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »

:tup
That'd be 2 or 3 points higher than I got in Lonestar's last round.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »

:tup
That'd be 2 or 3 points higher than I got in Lonestar's last round.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #443 on: November 12, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
You still alive bro? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: November 13, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
The Earth ain't turning any slower.  Vite, vite!!  Allons-y

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
Yeah, sorry; real life intervened.    I'll be posting something today or early tomorrow.    Good round, though.   Probably the best so far, though some of you might not like the scoring.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #446 on: November 13, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
Yeah, sorry; real life intervened.    I'll be posting something today or early tomorrow.    Good round, though.   Probably the best so far, though some of you might not like the scoring.

So a bunch of 7.5s and a couple 8s? ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: November 13, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »
^  Who invited this guy???    Haha.

Scoring has not been the easiest thing for me.  I'm not used to just saying "I friggin' like that!", plus I know some of you put time in to selecting the pieces that you're passionate about and it's not easy for me to just "Yeah, great, 5."

This round has been the hardest yet. I well and truly loved every song.   Every.  Song.   Not equally, there was one that just took my breathe away, almost to the level of Devin Townsend, but I honestly can't name a worst from the group.   So what I did is give the first a 9.5, the second two a 9, to distinguish them, then I gave the next two 8.5, and the remaining five 8.  I worried that I would have a 10 way tie for the lead, but it seems like there is a little separation, but no one is truly out of it.   I'll be posting results shortly.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:24:33 PM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Kingshmegland:    Nova Collective – “Air”:     I liked this, and found it intoxicating and evocative.  The whole song had a vibe to it that was just so… it reminded me of the best of King Crimson; one thing about Crimson is that the songs were almost always given a chance to breathe, and that’s how I felt about this.   Odd thing about me; I take song titles seriously, especially for instrumentals.  I like when the title creates an atmosphere and the music delivers on that, like it does here.    Strong piece, and I’d like to hear more from this band.  8.5

Antigoon:   Snarky Puppy – “What’s About Me?”:   This is a song that rewards repeated listening.   I was predisposed to dislike it, because of the band name (yes, I wrote that; they just always struck me as a shade too hipster), and at first I was like, “okay, horns”.   I’m touchy on horns.  I either LOVE them, (“Paperlate”, “No Reply At All”) or I hate them.  There isn’t a lot of in between.   But as I kept listening to this, it just kept coming clear that this is a beast of a track, and every part is both necessary and relevant.   That part at about 5:00 minutes in, where there isn’t really any soloing, but the band is grooving and almost… floating, really sealed the deal for me.  I really liked this.   9

Jingle.boy:  Dimension Act – “Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence I”:    Very Dream Theater-esque, but thankfully the Dream Theater I like best.    Very melodic and driving, I liked the epic-ness of both the title and the music.  I don’t really know what it means to “draw the lines of mortal existence” (does that involve Margot Robbie, by chance?) but I suspect this might be the music playing while I’m doing it. It would have scored higher, but it seemed to drag on a little and morph from really evocative music to a bit of wankery.     Nice track, though.  8

Mosh:  Camel – “Six ate”: Give a dollar if you can guess the time signature.   Not very familiar with Camel, even with all the various interactions with one of my favorite bands of all time, Marillion (Andy Ward  played in Marillion for a brief time; shorter than it took to do this writeup, and Fish has worked with Mickey Simmonds, Dave Stewart, and Foss Patterson).  I liked this a lot; very different than most of the other submissions, but it had a distinct ‘70’s vibe and I liked it a lot.   Built nicely, and kept my interest, which is no small feat for most instrumentals.   8

Lethean:  Kiko Loureiro – “El Guajiro”:    You benefitted from the delay.  I didn’t like this at first; I thought it was boring shred guitar and having come off an Yngwie binge, I was kind of burnt on it.    But I kept listening to my playlist, on shuffle and it kept catching my ear.   I loved how the guitar emulated what would typically be a keyboard part (the ascending/descending run) and the drums brought a nice color with the percussive additions.   It reminded me on occasion of Dream Theater – not a bad thing, and not as much as some of the other songs here - but generally this is a well-written as well as well-played instrumental.   8
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:43:27 PM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
TAC:  Marco Sfogli – “Still Hurts”:   Could be the same writeup as Kiko Loureiro; I feared a shred fest from the guy that played on James LaBrie’s solo albums.    But while it doesn’t have the interesting instrumentation that Loureiro has, it does have that melodic angle to it, and it’s clear that also like Loureiro, the technique serves the song, and the song isn’t just an excuse to impress with chops.   Really good stuff.   8

Lonestar:  Martin Orford – “Power and Speed”:   Extra point for anyone that can tell me what the melody is at about a minute in (it repeats three times over the next 45 seconds or so).  It reminds me of something – in a good way – and has been eating at me ever since.   This is the second best song in the round and also one I will be coming back to more and more.   As noted before, not that familiar with IQ, but this guy has cred, having played with a number of the heavy weights in a genre I listen to a lot.   Really good track and one that has stuck with me.  9

Elite:  Riverside – “Reality Dream III”:  Very good tune.  I liked it.   Also Dream Theater-esque, and also the Dream Theater I like, so it was a tune I enjoyed.   There was one moment I was waiting for James to come in  “Just let me catch my breath… I’ve heard the promises…”.    This one didn’t get a higher score because unfortunately they also copped Jordan’s knack for the “quirky keyboard part” and John’s heavy, compressed tone (as opposed to the beautiful sound he had on I&W), but the song is a strong one, nonetheless. 8

v_clortho:  Marty Friedman – “Valley of Eternity”:   Best song of the round.    Martin Orford is close, but not really close enough.   This is the song that hit me on first listen, and never let go.   My familiarity with Friedman is limited to Megadeth “Cryptic Writings”, some columns in a guitar magazine and some snippets of his work with Cacophony.   I loved a couple things about this:  the varied tones and sounds he gets.    The acoustic guitar in the beginning, trading with the keyboard, the harmonized guitars in the next section (when the drums come in) that are more traditional rock guitar, but still not shred, and then the coup de grace, the overdriven guitar with which he presents the main melodic hook (that I’ve been singing ever since) and the solo, which sounds both appropriate and necessary.   This was a revelation, and really threw me.     Thank you for this submission. 9.5

Home:  God Is An Astronaut – “All Is Violent, All is Bright”:  Couple things:  Not really sure what the title “Post Rock” is supposed to mean, but I think this is it.    As I said, I like evocative titles, and this is one of them.  I loved how the title sort of had a “light and dark” thing (or I guess “dark and light”) and I really liked how the music built into that imagery and really created an atmosphere.    Second or third favorite of the round, and glad I got to hear this. 8.5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
Home:       50
Lethean:    48
Jingle:       47.5
Elite:         47
v_Clortho: 47
King:         46.5
Lonestar:   46.5
TAC:          46
Mosh:        45
Antigoon:   45

Covers next!  I think I have two already.   

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Movin' on up

Glad you like the Marty Friedman song. That whole album (Scenes) is really good. If you like that song, there is a good chance you'd like the rest of it.

I think the melody you are looking for on the Martin Orford song is from a song called "Power and Speed" by Martin Orford. (Do I get the extra point?) :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
Movin' on up

Glad you like the Marty Friedman song. That whole album (Scenes) is really good. If you like that song, there is a good chance you'd like the rest of it.

I think the melody you are looking for on the Martin Orford song is from a song called "Power and Speed" by Martin Orford. (Do I get the extra point?) :lol

Haha, no.   But it was a serious question, and a serious offer.   There is a passage - again, it starts about 1:00 in - that gets repeated about three times.  The first half of it is a series of notes but the second is a distinct melodic motif, and but for the last note (literally) it reminds me of something.  Genesis perhaps?    It's driving me crazy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #453 on: November 13, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
That whole God Is An Astronaut album is one of my all-time favorites, Stadler. Every track is brilliant, but 'When Everything Dies' is the champion to my ears and hopefully you hear it someday.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:42 PM »
With 2 rounds to go, and a 2 point lead, this is Home's to lose.