Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468161 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6405 on: October 25, 2023, 08:52:13 AM »
But Derek already issued his press release!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online HOF

« Reply #6406 on: October 25, 2023, 09:00:22 AM »
I mostly just like The Winery Dogs and Flying Colors, but I really enjoyed at least the first 2 albums from both of those (need to revisit the third TWD again). Don’t really care for any of his other projects (or the post-split DT either).

Not even the Neal Morse Band albums? I thought they seem like something you'd like.

It’s complicated! I love Spock’s Beard and the first two Transatlantic albums are among my favorites. But Neal’s prog solo work and NMB stuff just doesn’t resonate with me for reasons I don’t fully understand. I am very fond of Neal as a person and musician, and I like a lot of the other stuff he’s done since leaving Spock’s (I enjoy his singer songwriter stuff, the DMJ album, etc.), but can’t get into NMB at all. 

Online DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6407 on: October 25, 2023, 09:20:18 AM »

???

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6408 on: October 25, 2023, 09:30:39 AM »

:lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6409 on: October 25, 2023, 09:33:26 AM »
This is gonna piss Derek even more :rollin

I thought about it as well  :biggrin: :lol

People think about Derek?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6410 on: October 25, 2023, 09:34:54 AM »
Excellent.  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6411 on: October 25, 2023, 09:40:46 AM »
Looks like Sons of Apollo are taking a five year break.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6412 on: October 25, 2023, 12:10:40 PM »
Looks like Sons of Apollo are taking a five year break.
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6413 on: October 25, 2023, 12:36:13 PM »
I mostly just like The Winery Dogs and Flying Colors, but I really enjoyed at least the first 2 albums from both of those (need to revisit the third TWD again). Don’t really care for any of his other projects (or the post-split DT either).

Not even the Neal Morse Band albums? I thought they seem like something you'd like.

It’s complicated! I love Spock’s Beard and the first two Transatlantic albums are among my favorites. But Neal’s prog solo work and NMB stuff just doesn’t resonate with me for reasons I don’t fully understand. I am very fond of Neal as a person and musician, and I like a lot of the other stuff he’s done since leaving Spock’s (I enjoy his singer songwriter stuff, the DMJ album, etc.), but can’t get into NMB at all.

Did you listen to Innocence and Danger, or were you already "out" and passed?

Online HOF

« Reply #6414 on: October 25, 2023, 01:26:09 PM »
I gave most of it a spin. I think I remember sort of liking Bird on a Wire, and maybe another track or two. Something about the DT meets Neal Morse aspect of it doesn’t work for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6415 on: October 25, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
I love most of what NMB has done.  But the last album is easily my least favorite, and might be my least favorite Neal Morse release of all except Lifeline.  It did nothing for me at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kocak

« Reply #6416 on: October 25, 2023, 01:38:36 PM »

Sherinian and Mangini project anyone?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6417 on: October 25, 2023, 01:51:16 PM »

Sherinian and Mangini project anyone?

I'm in as long as it doesn't involve Soto ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6418 on: October 25, 2023, 03:10:27 PM »

Does this means that Soto knew about MP rejoining the band?

Online HOF

« Reply #6419 on: October 25, 2023, 03:19:18 PM »
You know, maybe Jeff and Billy and others knew but were sworn to secrecy, and when Billy was asked on FB about it he didn't know the official word was out yet so he was just doing his best to cover.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6420 on: October 26, 2023, 09:35:26 AM »
Yeah, with Melody also saying she knew, there was no way Billy didn't know.  He was just playing on FB since that was a private message.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6421 on: October 26, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »
Yeah, with Melody also saying she knew, there was no way Billy didn't know.

It's possible, but.... I wouldn't compare what MP's own daughter knows, with what a band member and collegue knows  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6422 on: October 26, 2023, 09:45:51 AM »
Yeah, with Melody also saying she knew, there was no way Billy didn't know.

It's possible, but.... I wouldn't compare what MP's own daughter knows, with what a band member and collegue knows  :D

You are right, but JSS, who isn't on tour with MP right now but also was in SOA with Billy and Mike, knew.  So just adding an example of more people admitting they knew makes me think Billy knew too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6423 on: October 26, 2023, 09:54:10 AM »
Footage was just uncovered of Derek's reaction when he heard the news:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6424 on: October 26, 2023, 09:56:14 AM »
 :lol has Derek shared anything about this on social media?  Seems musicians across the board are happy for DT/MP and also have shown respect for MM.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6425 on: October 26, 2023, 11:50:56 AM »
:lol has Derek shared anything about this on social media?  Seems musicians across the board are happy for DT/MP and also have shown respect for MM.

I saw a Facebook post that claimed that Derek had unfollowed MP on Instagram.  Take that for what it's worth (probably not much).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6426 on: October 26, 2023, 12:22:23 PM »
Since the last SOA record Derek has released two studio record and a live one, so he probably was aware that SOA was finished for quite some time. So not sure why he should be disappointed now that MP rejoined DT.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6427 on: October 26, 2023, 12:25:37 PM »
Since the last SOA record Derek has released two studio record and a live one, so he probably was aware that SOA was finished for quite some time. So not sure why he should be disappointed now that MP rejoined DT.

Yeah, I mostly agree even if I find it funny to think he's pissed.  At the end of the day, Derek has been doing his own thing long before SOA and will continue to do so.  What I do find funny about it all, goes back to his words when SOA started and with MP rejoining DT, it basically makes those early statements look even worse to me. Like, you clearly lost that battle to be the best prog metal band  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6428 on: October 26, 2023, 12:27:40 PM »

I saw a Facebook post that claimed that Derek had unfollowed MP on Instagram.  Take that for what it's worth (probably not much).

If that's true then that's hilarious.

Maybe Portnoy told him about his plans on a conference call and it gave Sherinian PTSD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6429 on: October 26, 2023, 12:42:03 PM »

Yeah, I mostly agree even if I find it funny to think he's pissed.  At the end of the day, Derek has been doing his own thing long before SOA and will continue to do so.  What I do find funny about it all, goes back to his words when SOA started and with MP rejoining DT, it basically makes those early statements look even worse to me. Like, you clearly lost that battle to be the best prog metal band  :lol

For sure he said some bullshit back then and I think Mike did so too, if I remember correctly. But I'm not sure if they just wanted to their band to be successful or if they really thought they could surpass DT.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6430 on: October 26, 2023, 12:48:22 PM »
Oh, I wouldn't doubt Derek's abilitiy to be annoyed at these things, at all :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6431 on: October 26, 2023, 01:01:36 PM »
Is it really a thing that SOA is (or was, before yesterday) a live entity?  I kind of thought that everyone sort of tacitly agreed this was a dead horse, but in light of - maybe - some of the things said in the past that we weren't going to dwell on it.  I think it was Bumble that said there has been no discussions about anything after South America.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online HOF

« Reply #6433 on: October 27, 2023, 07:49:29 PM »
I’d think he would understand that this was a closely guarded secret. But oh well. I’m sure he’ll get over that. Guessing Billy Sheehan really didn’t know either then.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6434 on: October 27, 2023, 08:48:21 PM »
I wonder if Richie Kotzen even knew.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6435 on: November 21, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »
Both Derek and Bumblefoot have shared this snippet from a new band, Whom Gods Destroy: https://www.facebook.com/wgdestroy/videos/325804733490175/

Online HOF

« Reply #6436 on: November 21, 2023, 01:44:20 PM »
Both Derek and Bumblefoot have shared this snippet from a new band, Whom Gods Destroy: https://www.facebook.com/wgdestroy/videos/325804733490175/

Saw that and was trying to figure out if it was the name of a new band, or a new song, or a new album, or what. Sounds cool enough for those few seconds. Singer will probably make or break it if there is one.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6437 on: November 21, 2023, 01:48:26 PM »

Saw that and was trying to figure out if it was the name of a new band, or a new song, or a new album, or what. Sounds cool enough for those few seconds. Singer will probably make or break it if there is one.

They shared the video from a separate page named Whom Gods Destroy, so most likely a band name.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6438 on: November 21, 2023, 01:54:00 PM »
Added to the article after JSS took them to task, again:

**Update**: After this article was originally published, Jeff took to the comments section below to clarify that his remark about being "pissed off" at Mike was not meant to be taken seriously. "I said it sarcastically WHILE I was nothing BUT positive about my friend and DT and SOA," he explained. "Even my social media post was ALL about props for both Mike's and the portions I made about 'me' were sarcasm as well a way to reply to the 'future of SOA' without having to every time I will be asked! … In the interview you can hear me chuckle after I said I was pissed off at Mike, it was NOT literal, it was a goof but this fucking page just loves stirring shit by taking things out of context and makes us all look like tools even when we're replying with boring, non-headline worthy replies!" (Editor's note: The headline of this article was updated to reflect the fact that Jeff's original comment was meant to be "a goof".)
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6439 on: November 21, 2023, 02:25:13 PM »

They shared the video from a separate page named Whom Gods Destroy, so most likely a band name.

Stoked about this one. My favorite SoA members  :metal