Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468422 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6370 on: October 20, 2023, 08:25:37 AM »
I think that people are on the right track with this. And he was not really trying to build a second DT. He was just expecting his fans would come along with him and that he would do something new that would be bigger and more accessible to general audiences. I wonder if playing larger venues and being in a band that had radio play and better public recognition got to him with A7X.

I always wondered if SOA went out on a support tour for a bigger band if that would have helped win over fans.  Their live show was good enough that I thought they could.  Imagine they got the opening slot on a summer shed tour supporting Disturbed or something?  Or even A7X?  Put them in front of rock fans who have no idea who they are and let their master musicianship take over.  Too bad we'll never know. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6371 on: October 20, 2023, 08:39:42 AM »
With very few exceptions, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And MP wasn't the exception in DT's case. However, after the first album without him, which kind of seemed like an improvement, they kept doing more of the same and lost me entirely. At least I realized that MP wasn't the "problem" with DT - it was me.

Fascinating comment. What do you mean by that specifically though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6372 on: October 20, 2023, 08:56:14 AM »
I think that people are on the right track with this. And he was not really trying to build a second DT. He was just expecting his fans would come along with him and that he would do something new that would be bigger and more accessible to general audiences. I wonder if playing larger venues and being in a band that had radio play and better public recognition got to him with A7X.

I think so. I think he had that taste of mainstream success that he always wanted and when he thought he had the gig, it rug was pulled out from under him. Then he wanted to go back to DT and they were like “no thanks”. I’m sure that’s affected him quite a bit.

For better or worse, I think that's exactly right.  Around the time of Adrenaline Mob, there was a lot of chatter on the MP Forum about the relative merits of bands like Disturbed, and what not, and their achievement of platinum levels (as compared with the more modest sales of a Dream Theater which aren't even gold, probably less than half that).  I got the distinct vibe that the idea of Amob (if not the mutherfuckin' psychosane execution) was to achieve that next level.

I think The Winery Dogs were kind of that band with a little more commercial success (they were being played on Monday Night Football, the tours seemed to do well, etc.). SOA was originally conceived to fill the time while Ritchie was doing solo stuff. I know Mike made some statements that TWD were the band he wanted to really focus on and develop. SOA always seemed kind of thrown together by comparison.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6373 on: October 20, 2023, 10:35:47 AM »

I think so. I think he had that taste of mainstream success that he always wanted and when he thought he had the gig, it rug was pulled out from under him. Then he wanted to go back to DT and they were like “no thanks”. I’m sure that’s affected him quite a bit.

For better or worse, I think that's exactly right.  Around the time of Adrenaline Mob, there was a lot of chatter on the MP Forum about the relative merits of bands like Disturbed, and what not, and their achievement of platinum levels (as compared with the more modest sales of a Dream Theater which aren't even gold, probably less than half that).  I got the distinct vibe that the idea of Amob (if not the mutherfuckin' psychosane execution) was to achieve that next level.

I think The Winery Dogs were kind of that band with a little more commercial success (they were being played on Monday Night Football, the tours seemed to do well, etc.). SOA was originally conceived to fill the time while Ritchie was doing solo stuff. I know Mike made some statements that TWD were the band he wanted to really focus on and develop. SOA always seemed kind of thrown together by comparison.

Yeah because TWD is relatively successful.  They’re just a good rock band. Not trying to be a hard rock/prog metal band.  Or whatever SOA is trying to be.

And I don’t think a coincidence that he put together a band like AMOB right after losing the AX7 gig. Obviously going for that style.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6374 on: October 20, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »

Not to nitpick but the Winery Dogs was literally thrown together. :lol I mean, Eddie Trunk was like, hey go jam with Ritchie and it took off.

SOA was relatively planned. Obviously Derek and Mike but also Mike had wanted to work with Bumble for a while. I think k Mike had been plotting this with Soto since he opened for Winery Dogs.

I would say that Billy was kind of thrown into the mix though.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6375 on: October 20, 2023, 11:03:50 AM »

Man, he really miscalculated that one then lol. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6376 on: October 20, 2023, 12:55:18 PM »
Are we all ignoring that Flying Colors is a thing? a band with Steve Morse that writes catchy songs? that should have been the breakthrough band in a just and fair world. I mean, give the song Kayla to any other estabilished artist and see how it tops every chart.

Maybe they should have stuck with the concept of great musicians writing "simple" music rather than turning it into the Neal Morse Band Lite Version.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6377 on: October 20, 2023, 01:09:27 PM »
With very few exceptions, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And MP wasn't the exception in DT's case. However, after the first album without him, which kind of seemed like an improvement, they kept doing more of the same and lost me entirely. At least I realized that MP wasn't the "problem" with DT - it was me.

Sure, it's in the context of playing in a bigger band getting in the head of MP and then him thinking that the fans will follow him in bigger numbers that someone posted.

Leading up to his departure, I really thought Mike was leading DT in a more generic and boring direction. I perceived them as by the numbers in large parts, especially his conflict with LaBrie. When he left, I thought that was a blessing for DT and the album leading to that was a "return to form" of sorts. At least to me, it sounded more fresh, but after that things went just as they had been before that. Took me a while and seeing them twice live to realize that my tastes had changed with regards to the band more so than them being by the numbers or "uninspired". They still sound like that to me, but seeing thousands of people around me losing their shit to music from the last few albums gave me a bit of a reality check.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #6378 on: October 20, 2023, 01:19:23 PM »
I don’t have a source on this, but I recall MP saying something along the lines of “SOA is what DT would sound like if I had my way.”

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6379 on: October 20, 2023, 01:37:13 PM »
I don’t have a source on this, but I recall MP saying something along the lines of “SOA is what DT would sound like if I had my way.”

:lol
Can't we find the minds

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6380 on: October 20, 2023, 01:55:52 PM »

:lol

If that's the case I'm really happy he didn't have his way

Online Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6381 on: October 20, 2023, 06:04:26 PM »
Are we all ignoring that Flying Colors is a thing? a band with Steve Morse that writes catchy songs? that should have been the breakthrough band in a just and fair world. I mean, give the song Kayla to any other estabilished artist and see how it tops every chart.

Maybe they should have stuck with the concept of great musicians writing "simple" music rather than turning it into the Neal Morse Band Lite Version.
I assumed that since the first album didn't come even remotely close to having any mainstream success, then they just reverted to doing what they enjoy and are comfortable with.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6382 on: October 20, 2023, 07:18:11 PM »

Sure, it's in the context of playing in a bigger band getting in the head of MP and then him thinking that the fans will follow him in bigger numbers that someone posted.

Leading up to his departure, I really thought Mike was leading DT in a more generic and boring direction. I perceived them as by the numbers in large parts, especially his conflict with LaBrie. When he left, I thought that was a blessing for DT and the album leading to that was a "return to form" of sorts. At least to me, it sounded more fresh, but after that things went just as they had been before that. Took me a while and seeing them twice live to realize that my tastes had changed with regards to the band more so than them being by the numbers or "uninspired". They still sound like that to me, but seeing thousands of people around me losing their shit to music from the last few albums gave me a bit of a reality check.

Ah cool. That's what I thought. I feel like a lot of people grow out of music and feel like it must be the band.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6383 on: October 20, 2023, 08:04:28 PM »
I had a similar experience with DT. From SFAM on, it felt like I liked each album a little less than the previous one. When I heard Octavarium I really started to think the band’s and my tastes were just diverging too far. Then SC confirmed that suspicion. I do remember also thinking MP might have something to do with it (he was becoming more and more about metal over that period, and I was becoming less and less about it). But his leaving didn’t do anything to change my interest in DT’s new music, and I’ve followed MP’s subsequent projects with much more interest than DT.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6384 on: October 20, 2023, 09:51:12 PM »

Flying Colors was always limited by Steve's schedule with Deep Purple.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6385 on: October 20, 2023, 11:35:50 PM »

You sure about that? I kept up with SOA pretty well and I don't remember him saying anything like that.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #6386 on: October 21, 2023, 01:13:27 AM »
i do, it was all part of him trying to one-up what DT was doing, and him wanting to show that this new band is heavier etc than DT with the high vocals and ipad solos

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6387 on: October 21, 2023, 08:05:28 AM »
I remember reading that at some point too. He said something like that's the direction he would've taken the band towards after BC&SL.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6388 on: October 21, 2023, 08:15:25 AM »
I remember reading that at some point too. He said something like that's the direction he would've taken the band towards after BC&SL.

I would take ADTOE over Sons of Apollo eight days a week.
Can't we find the minds

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6389 on: October 21, 2023, 08:16:30 AM »

There's not a single post MP DT album that I wouldn't take over SOA.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #6390 on: October 21, 2023, 09:03:36 AM »

There's not a single post MP DT album that I wouldn't take over SOA.

While I did enjoy SOA's debut, I wholeheartedly agree with all of this.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6391 on: October 22, 2023, 10:18:06 PM »
I would take any post-MP DT release over any post-DT MP release.

Wait, shit...I forgot The Astonishing exists.

This just got difficult.

Well, I like three songs on TA and they're pretty strong. But that's still maybe 5-10% of the album.

I like half of SOA's PS but they're not particularly strong, just really good.

I like most of SOA's MMXX but I have the same view.

So yeah, it's almost a wash with that one.

But the rest of MP's catalog? Never did much for me.

Embarassingly I kind of like Adrenaline Mob's Undaunted and their cover of Come Undone.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6392 on: October 24, 2023, 01:15:41 AM »
Well, there's still The Similitude Of A Dream and The Great Adventure, which are fantastic in my opinion. And much better than DT12 for instance.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6393 on: October 24, 2023, 02:32:47 AM »
I'd take the first 40 seconds of At Wit's End over anything MP post-DT. :D Basically, DT was the only music interest "we" shared. I was excited for Adrenaline Mob at first but when I heard it - it didn't vibe with me at all.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6394 on: October 24, 2023, 05:07:43 PM »
I really wanted to like Metal Allegiance but it never did much for me.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6395 on: October 24, 2023, 08:06:17 PM »
I really wanted to like Metal Allegiance but it never did much for me.

I like the two records, but they just write songs that sound like the singer's main bands.  I really want them to throw each singer a curve ball and have them do something completely different.

Their live shows look like they're a ton of fun though. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6396 on: October 24, 2023, 08:59:19 PM »
I would take any post-MP DT release over any post-DT MP release.

My post-MP DT & post-DT MP release rankings:
NMB - Similitude of a Dream
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
NMB - The Grand Experiment
NMB - The Great Adventure
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony
Flying Colors
Neal Morse - Testimony 2
Flying Colors - Second Nature
Neal Morse - Momentum
Dream Theater - Dream Theater
Sons of Apollo - MMXX
Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe
The Winery Dogs
John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity
NMB - Innocence & Danger
LTE - 3
Dream Theater - A View From The Top of The World
The Winery Dogs - Hot Streak
Flying Colors - Third Degree
Bigelf - Into The Maelstrom
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Adrenaline Mob - Omerta
The Winery Dogs - III
Dream Theater - The Astonishing
*any post DT MP releases that rank lower than The Astonishing are not worth mentioning! :tdwn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #6397 on: October 24, 2023, 09:05:16 PM »
I don't feel like ranking all the albums, but I'll rank his post-DT projects. Not counting Transatlantic or LTE as they were started before he left.

1. NMB
2. Flying Colors
3. The Winery Dogs
4. PSMS
5. Sons of Apollo
6. Metal Allegiance
7. Adrenaline Mob
8. Getting kicked in the teeth
9. BPMD

Offline HOF

« Reply #6398 on: October 24, 2023, 09:11:26 PM »
I mostly just like The Winery Dogs and Flying Colors, but I really enjoyed at least the first 2 albums from both of those (need to revisit the third TWD again). Don’t really care for any of his other projects (or the post-split DT either).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6399 on: October 24, 2023, 10:37:57 PM »
I'll play.  Just my top 10:

1.  Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
2.  Dream Theater - Dream Theater
3.  NMB - The Great Adventure
4.  Dream Theater - A View From The Top of The World
5.  Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
6.  Dream Theater - The Astonishing
7.  NMB - Similitude of a Dream
8.  Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe
9.  Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony
10.  NMB - The Grand Experiment

I can honestly say that during this stretch of time, DT and projects MP were part of released a LOT of my favorite music.  But all of the DT releases are at my very top.  Some of the stuff Mike was involved in was fantastic.  Others were a miss for me.  Others were in between.  And that's all okay.  Bottom line is that a lot of great music was released under a lot of different banners.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6400 on: October 25, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
I mostly just like The Winery Dogs and Flying Colors, but I really enjoyed at least the first 2 albums from both of those (need to revisit the third TWD again). Don’t really care for any of his other projects (or the post-split DT either).

Not even the Neal Morse Band albums? I thought they seem like something you'd like.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6401 on: October 25, 2023, 08:15:34 AM »
well I guess we all know why Bumblefoot said what he said recently.  Looks like MP will be too busy for SOA.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6402 on: October 25, 2023, 08:20:47 AM »
This is gonna piss Derek even more :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6403 on: October 25, 2023, 08:39:10 AM »
That's fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6404 on: October 25, 2023, 08:40:36 AM »

I thought about it as well  :biggrin: :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!