Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468303 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6335 on: October 18, 2023, 01:32:38 PM »
I agree.

I remember back when they were recording the first album, Mike was trying to keep the lineup a secret. Myself and others figured out the lineup, and that info made it to his forum and he flipped out saying something like “NO ONE GETS TO ANNOUNCE WHO IS IN THIS BAND BUT ME.” Seemed very silly at the time, even moreseo in hindsight.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6336 on: October 18, 2023, 01:43:16 PM »
Oh yea!!! :lol, man he was so salty about that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6337 on: October 18, 2023, 01:53:23 PM »
I'm not sure I really blame him for being upset about that tbh I wasnt on his forum so maybe his reaction was over the top, but I'd be pissed too if my project got leaked publicly before the announcement.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6338 on: October 18, 2023, 02:05:00 PM »
I don't think it got leaked per se, if I recall, people put two and two together with various social media postings and sightings. Plus it happened over a period of time I think like a week or two and people were like guessing and strongly implying the guest members.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6339 on: October 18, 2023, 02:08:49 PM »
I agree.

I remember back when they were recording the first album, Mike was trying to keep the lineup a secret. Myself and others figured out the lineup, and that info made it to his forum and he flipped out saying something like “NO ONE GETS TO ANNOUNCE WHO IS IN THIS BAND BUT ME.” Seemed very silly at the time, even moreseo in hindsight.

I replied to one of his original tweets with @Bumblefoot back then and he PM'ed me saying he would ban me if I didn't delete the tweet. Good times :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6340 on: October 18, 2023, 02:11:13 PM »
I'm not sure I really blame him for being upset about that tbh I wasnt on his forum so maybe his reaction was over the top, but I'd be pissed too if my project got leaked publicly before the announcement.

I understand that, but maybe the best course of action would have been to ignore the rumors and leaks and reveal it when he wants, rather than getting upset and basically confirming the rumors and leaks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6341 on: October 18, 2023, 02:13:08 PM »

I understand that, but maybe the best course of action would have been to ignore the rumors and leaks and reveal it when he wants, rather than getting upset and basically confirming the rumors and leaks.

Yeah, that's probably a better idea, but I guess it was his forum though so maybe he felt a bit more strongly about putting his foot down.

Honestly, of all the bad PR this bad did when they started, this is the least of my concerns or issues with it all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6342 on: October 18, 2023, 02:38:57 PM »
Well, and if he wanted to clamp down on it and temporarily delete the posts, he could still have been nice and polite about it rather than respond in the completely offputting and over the top manner that he did.  I can't speak for Metropolaris, but if I were him and posted that, and Mike said something like, "I appreciate the enthusiasm, but PLEASE don't post any unsanctioned leaks just yet.  It's unfortunate that that got out there before it was intended, and I just want this to happen in a certain way, so please honor my wishes," I would have no problem apologizing and taking it down.  But if he came at me the way he did with others...let's just say he would have gotten a different reaction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6343 on: October 18, 2023, 04:03:06 PM »
Not to speculate too much, but it seems like a combination of having a few “failed” projects and the Covid lockdown humbled him a little bit. It also helps that he’s almost entirely stopped doing interviews, and recently he ended his Twitter account. The few videos or interviews from him lately he seems a lot different than he was, even compared to the old DT days.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online HOF

« Reply #6344 on: October 18, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »
I agree.

Yep. I was one of those sleuthing for band members. I remember identifying Derek’s studio by the bricks in a picture Mike posted, and then I remember also posting about Bumblefoot’s double neck guitar in a video that I think Derek posted after we knew he was in the band. Then the thread got shut down late at night by the time I came back the next day. What’s so silly about it is that he was sharing enough info for people to track it down, and as a fan himself it seems like he would realize people would try to guess/figure out the band based on the clues he seemed to be dropping.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6345 on: October 18, 2023, 05:07:11 PM »
I agree.

Yep. I was one of those sleuthing for band members. I remember identifying Derek’s studio by the bricks in a picture Mike posted, and then I remember also posting about Bumblefoot’s double neck guitar in a video that I think Derek posted after we knew he was in the band. Then the thread got shut down late at night by the time I came back the next day. What’s so silly about it is that he was sharing enough info for people to track it down, and as a fan himself it seems like he would realize people would try to guess/figure out the band based on the clues he seemed to be dropping.

They should've made it an official internet sleuthing game over it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6346 on: October 18, 2023, 05:11:21 PM »
I agree.

I was the one that figured out it was Bumblefoot  :lol Derek’s keyboard tech posted a video on Instagram showing off Derek’s rig, and at the very last split second you could see Bumblefoot and his guitar.

Online HOF

« Reply #6347 on: October 18, 2023, 05:25:12 PM »
I agree.

I was the one that figured out it was Bumblefoot  :lol Derek’s keyboard tech posted a video on Instagram showing off Derek’s rig, and at the very last split second you could see Bumblefoot and his guitar.

If you posted it here first, I probably got it from you because I remember checking on the thread here for info too (I was only lurking here at the time). All I remember is that I posted about it possibly being Bumblefoot late at night over at the MP Forum and the next day those posts had been deleted by a mod. At one point he took the forum off line altogether and I remember feeling partially responsible for it and feeling kind of bad about it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6348 on: October 18, 2023, 05:44:21 PM »
Yep found the post from 2017. Simpler times.

Paused that video at the last second and caught a quick glimpse of the guitarist.

Yeah the fact that he shut down his forum because of that whole mess just adds to the silliness.
Hey, maybe now that SOA is done, he’ll reopen his forum  :lol
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 07:00:25 AM by Metropolaris »

Online HOF

« Reply #6349 on: October 18, 2023, 06:16:23 PM »
Yep found the post from 2017. Simpler times.

Paused that video at the last second and caught a quick glimpse of the guitarist.

Yeah the fact that he shut down his forum because of that whole mess just adds to the silliness.
Hey maybe that SOA is done, he’ll reopen his forum  :lol

Yep, that was where I got it for sure. I hate that the whole MP Forum history is just gone now, but oh well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6350 on: October 18, 2023, 06:25:33 PM »
For some reason I thought the MP forum was shut down over something different. Memory isn't what it used to be.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6351 on: October 18, 2023, 06:38:53 PM »
I remember him saying something like “things are out of control” or out of HIS control. Or something like that.
Can't we find the minds

Online HOF

« Reply #6352 on: October 18, 2023, 06:42:18 PM »
For some reason I thought the MP forum was shut down over something different. Memory isn't what it used to be.

I think there were a number of things that lead to him finally pulling the plug. He shut it down temporarily during the SOA sleuthing thing, and then after the album came out I think he got upset by some of the negative comments about it. It was shortly after that I think that he shut it down for good.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6353 on: October 18, 2023, 10:25:18 PM »
Well, and if he wanted to clamp down on it and temporarily delete the posts, he could still have been nice and polite about it rather than respond in the completely offputting and over the top manner that he did.  I can't speak for Metropolaris, but if I were him and posted that, and Mike said something like, "I appreciate the enthusiasm, but PLEASE don't post any unsanctioned leaks just yet.  It's unfortunate that that got out there before it was intended, and I just want this to happen in a certain way, so please honor my wishes," I would have no problem apologizing and taking it down.  But if he came at me the way he did with others...let's just say he would have gotten a different reaction.

I agree. But what if he went this direction and said, "I'm loving this! Keep guessing!" Could have thrown people off the scent. Either way, he would have done exactly what the fans did and tried to guess which goes to show he doesn't always do what the fans want. He does what he wants and often it lines up with what the fans want....but not always.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6354 on: October 18, 2023, 10:32:43 PM »
Yeah, I mean there are any number of ways he could have done it without being rude, and several of those could probably have accomplished his goals better than what he chose.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6355 on: October 18, 2023, 11:20:15 PM »
Not at all sad to see them go.
I listened and found what I heard mediocre.

Prefer almost any of MPs other projects over this so I am glad he can put more effort into other things.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6356 on: October 19, 2023, 12:37:42 AM »
I remember him saying something like “things are out of control” or out of HIS control. Or something like that.
I'm pretty sure it was after the release of the Coming home single and people were really hard on the song. He stated that it was too much negativity for him to handle, which is understandable. That was probably the last drop, things had already been tough on the board, I think.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6357 on: October 19, 2023, 01:15:30 AM »
There’s a list of great musicians who have stepped up to play on Derek’s records over the years. If he were that much of a POS, why would they keep coming back? It ain’t for the money!

Maybe he knows his place. I'm sure he isn't giving Billy Idol or Zakk Wylde as much shit as he gave Soto.

Or maybe he didn't gave Soto that much shit, he maybe just voiced his opinion strongly. Something I'm sure a lot of musicians in the studio do.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6358 on: October 19, 2023, 02:49:04 AM »
To me it actually seemed they were reasonably successful. Here they were playing in similar venues to other prog metal bands (Haken, Threshold etc.) and the concerts seemed well attended. Their clips got a very good amount of views (many over the millions). But it seems to me in covid times it stranded. And offcourse many of the members are in bands that do well and at least have better forum reception. But when I look at other places, people seem mostly positive (including Dream Theater reddit).

I really like the debut album, the second a bit less. I would have liked to see them live, the clips I saw looked like a good time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6359 on: October 19, 2023, 06:57:50 AM »
Not to speculate too much, but it seems like a combination of having a few “failed” projects and the Covid lockdown humbled him a little bit. It also helps that he’s almost entirely stopped doing interviews, and recently he ended his Twitter account. The few videos or interviews from him lately he seems a lot different than he was, even compared to the old DT days.

I wrote about this a couple weeks ago. I notice this too.  I've got to meet him twice now in the last couple years, and he seems... I don't want to go too far in the other direction. He's not phoning it in, he's not detached, but he's certainly not the gregarious, "aggressive" (in a good way) fan-friendly Mike that seemed in the past to be hip-deep in the fan experience.  He was quiet and polite and reserved in Nashville at Morsefest this past year.  I said something douchey to him - "After all these years, it's still a treat to watch you drum, man" or something like that - and he said "thank you", signed my CD book and just sat there till the next dude came up.   Even typing that I'm thinking "well what did you expect, a hand job?" but it's hard to describe. "Perfunctory" is the best word.  Meanwhile, Neal was laughing, joking, taking impromptu selfies... he was really putting on the ritz.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #6360 on: October 19, 2023, 07:18:16 AM »

I wrote about this a couple weeks ago. I notice this too.  I've got to meet him twice now in the last couple years, and he seems... I don't want to go too far in the other direction. He's not phoning it in, he's not detached, but he's certainly not the gregarious, "aggressive" (in a good way) fan-friendly Mike that seemed in the past to be hip-deep in the fan experience.  He was quiet and polite and reserved in Nashville at Morsefest this past year.  I said something douchey to him - "After all these years, it's still a treat to watch you drum, man" or something like that - and he said "thank you", signed my CD book and just sat there till the next dude came up.   Even typing that I'm thinking "well what did you expect, a hand job?" but it's hard to describe. "Perfunctory" is the best word.  Meanwhile, Neal was laughing, joking, taking impromptu selfies... he was really putting on the ritz.

Never enough, Bill!  haha

Offline DTA

« Reply #6361 on: October 19, 2023, 07:30:20 AM »
He’s probably just burned out on it all but it’s been too much a part of his life to stop working and retire.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6362 on: October 19, 2023, 07:33:14 AM »

Never enough, Bill!  haha
HAHA, I know!   In a church, no less!!  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6363 on: October 19, 2023, 08:33:06 AM »
To me it actually seemed they were reasonably successful. Here they were playing in similar venues to other prog metal bands (Haken, Threshold etc.) and the concerts seemed well attended. Their clips got a very good amount of views (many over the millions). But it seems to me in covid times it stranded. And offcourse many of the members are in bands that do well and at least have better forum reception. But when I look at other places, people seem mostly positive (including Dream Theater reddit).

I really like the debut album, the second a bit less. I would have liked to see them live, the clips I saw looked like a good time.

It's no shock to me that people outside this forum and the hardcore MP fan base have different views on the music.  I doubt any of the general fan base cares about the stuff said and the way the band acted around the time of the debut album.  People here clearly remember and it has likely had an affect. 

SOA played a 500 capacity NYC venue.  Not that different than TWD or any of MP's other projects.  It was well attended too that night.  I always said the potential was through the roof with this band and I don't really think it was a total failure due to them actually putting on great shows to a respectable fan base.  Just needed more time IMO and honestly given Billy's age plus everyone's schedule, time is just not realistic for them.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6364 on: October 19, 2023, 09:21:20 AM »
I was hoping they'd move on with Felipe Andreoli as their new bassist after their short tour last year, but they disbanded instead :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6365 on: October 19, 2023, 09:44:16 AM »

It's no shock to me that people outside this forum and the hardcore MP fan base have different views on the music.  I doubt any of the general fan base cares about the stuff said and the way the band acted around the time of the debut album.  People here clearly remember and it has likely had an affect. 

SOA played a 500 capacity NYC venue.  Not that different than TWD or any of MP's other projects.  It was well attended too that night.  I always said the potential was through the roof with this band and I don't really think it was a total failure due to them actually putting on great shows to a respectable fan base.  Just needed more time IMO and honestly given Billy's age plus everyone's schedule, time is just not realistic for them.

I think TWD does respectable numbers in smaller markets too. SOA attendance drops off in those. I remember seeing one place that looked like nothing more than a big bar and even derek said he was going to have trouble fitting his rig on some stages.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6366 on: October 19, 2023, 05:40:45 PM »
I think that people are on the right track with this. And he was not really trying to build a second DT. He was just expecting his fans would come along with him and that he would do something new that would be bigger and more accessible to general audiences. I wonder if playing larger venues and being in a band that had radio play and better public recognition got to him with A7X.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6367 on: October 19, 2023, 06:15:26 PM »
I think that people are on the right track with this. And he was not really trying to build a second DT. He was just expecting his fans would come along with him and that he would do something new that would be bigger and more accessible to general audiences. I wonder if playing larger venues and being in a band that had radio play and better public recognition got to him with A7X.

I think so. I think he had that taste of mainstream success that he always wanted and when he thought he had the gig, it rug was pulled out from under him. Then he wanted to go back to DT and they were like “no thanks”. I’m sure that’s affected him quite a bit.

Can't we find the minds

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6368 on: October 20, 2023, 06:45:26 AM »
With very few exceptions, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And MP wasn't the exception in DT's case. However, after the first album without him, which kind of seemed like an improvement, they kept doing more of the same and lost me entirely. At least I realized that MP wasn't the "problem" with DT - it was me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6369 on: October 20, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »

I think so. I think he had that taste of mainstream success that he always wanted and when he thought he had the gig, it rug was pulled out from under him. Then he wanted to go back to DT and they were like “no thanks”. I’m sure that’s affected him quite a bit.

For better or worse, I think that's exactly right.  Around the time of Adrenaline Mob, there was a lot of chatter on the MP Forum about the relative merits of bands like Disturbed, and what not, and their achievement of platinum levels (as compared with the more modest sales of a Dream Theater which aren't even gold, probably less than half that).  I got the distinct vibe that the idea of Amob (if not the mutherfuckin' psychosane execution) was to achieve that next level.