Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464246 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6230 on: July 26, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
I wouldn't mind a third record, I quite liked their albums. Not groundbreaking or record of the year material, but a fun listen and I find myself returning to them once in a while.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6231 on: July 26, 2022, 01:22:19 PM »
THIS should've been the Mike and Russell Allen project instead of AMOB, imo.

Apparently, Russell was invited and said no.

Wow, that's definitely news to me :eek. He would've elevated this bad A LOT.

I wouldn't mind a third record, I quite liked their albums. Not groundbreaking or record of the year material, but a fun listen and I find myself returning to them once in a while.

I hated most of it when they first appeared, but that had more to do with Mike's and Derek's attitude and comments at the time. Now, I've come to accept them as albums with some strong material that I occasionally go back to, but there's some songs I just don't care about at all. I'd still want a 3rd album if they got Felipe full time :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6232 on: July 26, 2022, 02:54:23 PM »
I like the guy, and he's a good frontman, but Jeff is not what I would want for Sons Of Apollo.  IMO, you needed a voice that could cut above and complement the frequencies of the players, not compete with them.  I would have loved to have heard someone with a voice like Brad Delp or Mickey Thomas with that band.  That would be killer.

I heard Brad Delp was unavailable.

:facepalm:

For the record, I'd be no more thrilled with Russell Allen than Jeff Scott Soto.  I just don't get it (though I like his work with Ayreon a lot).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6233 on: July 26, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
Look, I don't agree with Billy Sheehan on this point - I thought it was 10 years, but generally Madman is right it's been around for a lot longer than just the public administration, and I've made my choice to get the full complement of shots and the booster - but honestly, I admire him. I haven't followed every one of his statements, but from my perspective, he made his decision, right or wrong, as is his right, he's accepting the consequences, as is his obligation, and he's not pushing his choice on other people, as is, in my opinion, his duty to other citizens.

Considering what JSS said on facebook today

First, it is now out there that Billy won't be joining us for the upcoming shows next month. None of us are happy about this, Billy is our bandmate and brother, to do any shows without any of these guys is something none of us wanted or normally would agree to. I don't need to go into any details further on why he isn't going to be with us, it had to happen based on far too many circumstances beyond our control and we will make the most of this challenging situation. I will cap this part with we'll miss him dearly on these shows and we have nothing but love and respect for our brother.

He may have held onto his beliefs which is admirable, but it isn't without impacting some others.  To me, that is against what a band is about.  Supposed to be "teammates".  So I can only take the admirable part so far.  In some ways, I could argue it would be admirable to go against your belief to support your teammates/friend/band/whatever.  But then again, how much of a "band" is this anyway?  It all kind of feels forced including this final leg of the tour. 

The band is done.
I think they will tour the remaining dates and call it a day.

Which makes me wonder, why bother do this tour at all if it's not with Billy and they don't plan on continuing? (I guess a pay check)

Having said that, I'd check out a third album and most definitely would try to see them live again.  I thought both albums were just OK, but I think they really shined in the live performance.  Yeah, JSS is the weak point, but the band is just so damn talented that it's still a really good show.  Also, I think I like Bumblefoot the most in this band. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6234 on: July 26, 2022, 03:23:58 PM »
Marc, that's a fair point about being a teammate.  I get that.

I too share your opinion; they WERE good live. I saw them in Worcester and it was a pretty good show all around.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6235 on: July 26, 2022, 05:00:02 PM »
First off, I’m surprised by the amount of Bumblefoot love. I guess I need to go re-listen with that in mind.

Secondly, I get the problem with JSS. Although, I think he is a good fit, Russell Allen would have been better. Maybe even Ray Alder.  The experience of AMOB might have soured Allen’s ideas of being in another band with Portnoy. Who knows.

Finally, I respect Billy’s choices, although I disagree with him. That’s probably the sentiment of the rest of the band as well. I think this will be the end of the band as well. There doesn’t seem to be enough interest to keep it going. They’re probably only doing these dates because I believe they were cancelled or just never fulfilled two years ago. I could be wrong.

Another thought is that Portnoy may be at a winding down point. We’re pretty sure Transatlantic is ending and most likely this. Maybe he’s making room for the DT reunion after Petrucci’s solo tour…lol.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6236 on: July 26, 2022, 05:56:38 PM »
I noticed Portnoy has no studio releases coming up this year. That's unusual for him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #6237 on: July 26, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »
I noticed Portnoy has no studio releases coming up this year. That's unusual for him.

Yeah, I noticed that too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Kram

« Reply #6238 on: July 26, 2022, 06:22:23 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that too.
I thought new Winery Dogs was in the works?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6239 on: July 26, 2022, 06:42:32 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6240 on: July 26, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
They also have to make LTE 4 at some point, as they signed a 2 album deal with Inside Out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6241 on: July 26, 2022, 11:31:29 PM »
A few things here to catch up with the whole conversation...

He may have held onto his beliefs which is admirable, but it isn't without impacting some others.  To me, that is against what a band is about.  Supposed to be "teammates".  So I can only take the admirable part so far.  In some ways, I could argue it would be admirable to go against your belief to support your teammates/friend/band/whatever.

-100%

-As for the weakest link? It's Billy. I don't think he takes away from the band at all and he's a hell of a player and actually quite fun to watch live but the other four all have major strengths as far the the unique aspects they bring. I hate to say it but Billy seems somewhat generic. I also hate how he wears his hate slightly off center. It's definitely intentional...and weird.

-Also, SOA's sophmore album is WAYYYYY better than the debut. It sounded like a band!

-Soto has been up front with his vocal issues. He can still sing pretty well in the studio but can't pull it off live night after night. He has a side project called W.E.T. where he sings insanely well but admitted if they ever did any shows, it would be one offs because his voice couldn't handle anything else.

Another thought is that Portnoy may be at a winding down point.

I think it was before the pandemic...maybe a year or so, but there was a string of interviews where Portnoy actually heavily hinted he wanted to start wrapping it up. I have to paraphrase this from memory but it was something like, "I want Max to take the throne so I can retire!" and then later in a different interview he said something about his back and being old and not wanting to play as much. Of course, it came across as kind of light hearted but I don't remember him ever joking about that so I found it peculiar. I think there were some videos at some shows where he was talking to the crowd and standing with his hand on his lower back and standing awkwardly. As someone with back issues I thought, "hey I recognize that stance." It should be noted that he is 15 years older than me and has an excuse for having back problems. I don't...which blows.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6242 on: July 27, 2022, 01:35:18 AM »
-Soto has been up front with his vocal issues. He can still sing pretty well in the studio but can't pull it off live night after night. He has a side project called W.E.T. where he sings insanely well but admitted if they ever did any shows, it would be one offs because his voice couldn't handle anything else.

W.E.T. is awesome and it's funny how he sounds so much better there than with SOA, but what you say makes sense then.  Also, I thought he was pretty damn good when he did his Queen tribute set a couple months ago at ProgPower.  Which was also a one off so more evidence to what you claim. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6243 on: July 27, 2022, 01:55:29 AM »
I have a feeling this has to do with 2022 being the first year of touring after a gap of two years, which was unprecedented. Most of the bands that ended up releasing albums in 2020 and 2021 are trying to "make up for lost time" this year by touring.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6244 on: July 28, 2022, 08:45:25 AM »
Look, I don't agree with Billy Sheehan on this point - I thought it was 10 years, but generally Madman is right it's been around for a lot longer than just the public administration, and I've made my choice to get the full complement of shots and the booster - but honestly, I admire him. I haven't followed every one of his statements, but from my perspective, he made his decision, right or wrong, as is his right, he's accepting the consequences, as is his obligation, and he's not pushing his choice on other people, as is, in my opinion, his duty to other citizens.

Apart from his playing I find it hard to admire Billy. He’s a Scientologist ffs.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6245 on: July 28, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »

Apart from his playing I find it hard to admire Billy. He’s a Scientologist ffs.

Did you see the video of him wearing a sign inviting people to ask him about scientology and then he refused to answer a lot of the stuff. It was weird. He claimed he was there on his own volition but I'm sure he pissed off david miscavige and did it to make amenda

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6246 on: July 29, 2022, 04:07:30 AM »

Did you see the video of him wearing a sign inviting people to ask him about scientology and then he refused to answer a lot of the stuff. It was weird. He claimed he was there on his own volition but I'm sure he pissed off david miscavige and did it to make amenda

Haven't watched that video in awhile but its funny  :lol I've met Billy twice and he seemed nice both times.  I don't really know him personally to say the scientology stuff would make him unlikeable, but it's not a good look IMO. 

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6247 on: July 30, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »
So, this is a bad look for Billy. Lost a lot of respect for him based on his responses. He appears to not only not be vaccinated against Covid, he also appears to not believe that it is a real vaccine. I could say so much, but why bother with these conspiracy theorists. They just dig in harder.

When one fan responded in the comments section that he heard Billy isn't coming to South America with SONS OF APOLLO because he didn't get the COVID-19 vaccine and lamented the fact that Sheehan had to "miss this tour leg because of some stupid restrictions," Billy responded: "thank you for understanding".

Another fan wrote "back when vaccines were…well….vaccines" in reference to Billy's 2009 inoculation, to which Sheehan replied: "exactly".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:51:04 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6248 on: July 30, 2022, 12:29:14 PM »
I don't share or agree with Billy's beliefs (Scientology), but I don't think this thread is the right place to talk about the vax vs no vax debate, really.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6249 on: July 30, 2022, 03:04:34 PM »
I think it was before the pandemic...maybe a year or so, but there was a string of interviews where Portnoy actually heavily hinted he wanted to start wrapping it up. I have to paraphrase this from memory but it was something like, "I want Max to take the throne so I can retire!" and then later in a different interview he said something about his back and being old and not wanting to play as much. Of course, it came across as kind of light hearted but I don't remember him ever joking about that so I found it peculiar. I think there were some videos at some shows where he was talking to the crowd and standing with his hand on his lower back and standing awkwardly. As someone with back issues I thought, "hey I recognize that stance." It should be noted that he is 15 years older than me and has an excuse for having back problems. I don't...which blows.
That's interesting. This kind of thinking has been going around about Neal Morse as well - e.g. this is why they changed the name of the Neal Morse Band to NMB - to allow the band to continue without him. But personally I have a hard time imagining MP or Neal just hanging it up and pumping out albums at 1/10th their previous rate or whatever. They love it too much, right? And what would they do with their time?

Offline Kram

« Reply #6250 on: July 31, 2022, 02:49:23 PM »
That's interesting. This kind of thinking has been going around about Neal Morse as well - e.g. this is why they changed the name of the Neal Morse Band to NMB - to allow the band to continue without him. But personally I have a hard time imagining MP or Neal just hanging it up and pumping out albums at 1/10th their previous rate or whatever. They love it too much, right? And what would they do with their time?
You're right.  Mike's a workaholic and writing music is Neal's life.  There's no way either stop anytime soon.  Slow down a bit?  Sure, I can see that.  As many have mentioned, TA probably said all it had to say as a band.  In contrast, I feel the NMB has a lot left to say.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6251 on: August 05, 2022, 10:22:58 PM »
Bumblefoot is the only thing I like about this band, and I legit forgot this band existed until this thread resurfaced.

The band is done.
I think they will tour the remaining dates and call it a day.

This doesn’t surprise me. Is anyone pining for a third album? Does anyone really care about this band anymore?

Not really, but I still have yet to see an official word that the band is done. I don't interpret no plans as being done, but that could be an inoffensive way to say it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6252 on: August 05, 2022, 10:32:04 PM »
So, this is a bad look for Billy. Lost a lot of respect for him based on his responses. He appears to not only not be vaccinated against Covid, he also appears to not believe that it is a real vaccine. I could say so much, but why bother with these conspiracy theorists. They just dig in harder.

When one fan responded in the comments section that he heard Billy isn't coming to South America with SONS OF APOLLO because he didn't get the COVID-19 vaccine and lamented the fact that Sheehan had to "miss this tour leg because of some stupid restrictions," Billy responded: "thank you for understanding".

Another fan wrote "back when vaccines were…well….vaccines" in reference to Billy's 2009 inoculation, to which Sheehan replied: "exactly".

Didn't Talas reform and release an album? Could that be at least part of the reason?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6253 on: August 06, 2022, 05:46:53 AM »

Didn't Talas reform and release an album? Could that be at least part of the reason?

The album is an old one that is finally being released in 2022.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6254 on: August 16, 2022, 06:15:39 AM »
Looks like the recent shows were very well attended and the crowd was enthusiastic. I hope they make a new album. All the ingredients are there for a great album.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6255 on: August 16, 2022, 06:37:51 AM »
Looks like the recent shows were very well attended and the crowd was enthusiastic. I hope they make a new album. All the ingredients are there for a great album.

I looked at some clips and it looks like a fun band and a good time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsC9YIz5DSw

I think some people are underestimating this band a bit to be honest. No they are not the new Dream Theater and  are most certainly derivative of existing music, but they seem to be doing well. Their clips of the original album four years ago have millions of views and they have other songs/live performances that get hundreds of thousands of viewers. I personally enjoyed their albums and hope they do more.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6256 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:25 AM »

I looked at some clips and it looks like a fun band and a good time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsC9YIz5DSw

I think some people are underestimating this band a bit to be honest. No they are not the new Dream Theater and  are most certainly derivative of existing music, but they seem to be doing well. Their clips of the original album four years ago have millions of views and they have other songs/live performances that get hundreds of thousands of viewers. I personally enjoyed their albums and hope they do more.

It's not millions or hundreds of thousands, but even my video of them doing a Deep Purple cover got 33k views (which is pretty damn good for my channel).  They were a lot of fun all 3 times I've seen them. Personally, if I had to choose a single MP band I would choose Winery Dogs, but next would probably be SOA.  The band has too much talent and while the albums may not be the best written music, the band really kills it live.  I wonder what the status would be if the band wasn't so pompous when they first started and Derek didn't run his mouth.  I feel that negative first impression still rubs people the wrong way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6257 on: August 16, 2022, 08:40:47 AM »
Even I, who wasn't too happy with how they started things and don't like some of their songs, would like to see a 3rd album by them. Even better if it is with Felipe :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6258 on: August 18, 2022, 04:52:59 PM »
Even I, who wasn't too happy with how they started things and don't like some of their songs, would like to see a 3rd album by them. Even better if it is with Felipe :biggrin:

I didn't care for the first album and only gave the second one a cursory listen.  But I'd check out the third if Felipe was involved.  Still probably wouldn't like it all that much, but it would get me to listen.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6259 on: August 18, 2022, 05:53:23 PM »
:tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6260 on: August 18, 2022, 09:14:11 PM »
Very cool bootleg from the Rio de Janeiro show, with a very good quality overall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4nh4lwA-o&t=203s
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6261 on: August 19, 2022, 11:31:37 AM »
Sons of Apollo are very much a band that needs to be seen live to appreciate them. Their albums don’t do much for me, not that I hate the music or anything, but it doesn’t grab me the way other bands within the prog metal scene do. However, when I saw them on the tour for their first album, I had an absolute blast. The whole band is wildly entertaining to watch, and JSS is an awesome frontman. I don’t care if they release another album or not, but I hope they remain a steady touring band as a live setting where the magic lies with them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6262 on: August 19, 2022, 11:53:36 AM »
Sons of Apollo are very much a band that needs to be seen live to appreciate them. Their albums don’t do much for me, not that I hate the music or anything, but it doesn’t grab me the way other bands within the prog metal scene do. However, when I saw them on the tour for their first album, I had an absolute blast. The whole band is wildly entertaining to watch, and JSS is an awesome frontman. I don’t care if they release another album or not, but I hope they remain a steady touring band as a live setting where the magic lies with them.

I think their music might actually hold them back. I don't care for either album (though a few tracks on the first are okay) so I never saw them live. That said, their live shows on DVD and youtube looked great. I remember when they did a cover show before they released their first album and it looked so much fun. I really think it would've done them well to stay in that direction. If that group did fun, groovy, party rock with a lot of fun covers, that would have matched perfectly with their live shows. But the very serious, but sometimes not, overly proggy metal stuff just didn't stand out enough to be interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6263 on: August 19, 2022, 02:47:32 PM »
As much as I think their covers are great, I don't know if a cover band works for long term success.  They NEED good original music IMO.  If they do one more album, they could have 3 albums to pull from for the live show and focus on what the fans love the most, BUT the 3rd album would need to be better than the first two. I have no idea if they could pull it off.  I'd love to see them try though. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6264 on: August 19, 2022, 02:49:17 PM »
As much as I think their covers are great, I don't know if a cover band works for long term success.  They NEED good original music IMO.  If they do one more album, they could have 3 albums to pull from for the live show and focus on what the fans love the most, BUT the 3rd album would need to be better than the first two. I have no idea if they could pull it off.  I'd love to see them try though.

Totally. I didn't mean to be a cover band, I meant do originals in the that fun, party rock style that they also covered and to also throw in covers. They don't need to be a play a 10 minute prog epic with a symphony band. You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com