Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466527 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6195 on: July 25, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
What was the reason for Billy’s absence?

Travel restrictions.
https://blabbermouth.net/news/billy-sheehan-to-miss-sons-of-apollos-south-american-tour-due-to-travel-restrictions-temporary-replacement-announced

Sheehan is an avowed member of the Church Of Scientology, which does not have an official position on vaccines, according to Time magazine. However, the church emphasizes the "harmful effects of drugs, toxins and other chemicals that lodge in the body and create a biochemical barrier to spiritual well-being," according to its web site. Sheehan has not publicly disclosed whether he has received the COVID-19 vaccine and it is not clear whether his vaccination status is related to his absence from SONS OF APOLLO's South American tour.

According to the official web site of the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Brazil, proof of vaccine is required for most travelers to Brazil.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6196 on: July 25, 2022, 11:43:53 AM »
Interestingly enough (or timing on Billy), he just posted pictures on FB with a story behind them.

"Getting all the required vaccinations for a Mr Big trip to India back in 2009. While finishing an EU tour in Germany, we had a very kind medical doctor come backstage and he did a great job inoculating all of us. As a result--I had a fabulous time in India, and came home healthy! Great memories from that trip. I hope I get to visit there again!"

So who knows what the actual reasons are for him not doing SoA in South America.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6197 on: July 25, 2022, 12:13:18 PM »
What was the reason for Billy’s absence?

Edit - looks like goo-goo already posted this. 

"Travel restrictions"

https://blabbermouth.net/news/billy-sheehan-to-miss-sons-of-apollos-south-american-tour-due-to-travel-restrictions-temporary-replacement-announced

Top Link Music manager and concert promoter Paulo Baron commented on Sheehan's absence from the gigs, saying in a statement: "Billy Sheehan will not be able to participate in the tour for personal reasons that he did not want to disclose to me, but that we respect, so both SONS OF APOLLO and I, who am the promoter of the tour, invited Felipe Andreoli to replace the great bassist Billy Sheehan."
-------------------------------
Sheehan is an avowed member of the Church Of Scientology, which does not have an official position on vaccines, according to Time magazine. However, the church emphasizes the "harmful effects of drugs, toxins and other chemicals that lodge in the body and create a biochemical barrier to spiritual well-being," according to its web site. Sheehan has not publicly disclosed whether he has received the COVID-19 vaccine and it is not clear whether his vaccination status is related to his absence from SONS OF APOLLO's South American tour.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6198 on: July 25, 2022, 02:13:22 PM »
Interestingly enough (or timing on Billy), he just posted pictures on FB with a story behind them.

"Getting all the required vaccinations for a Mr Big trip to India back in 2009. While finishing an EU tour in Germany, we had a very kind medical doctor come backstage and he did a great job inoculating all of us. As a result--I had a fabulous time in India, and came home healthy! Great memories from that trip. I hope I get to visit there again!"

So who knows what the actual reasons are for him not doing SoA in South America.

I saw that and thought... well, that's not the covid vaccine so it doesn't mean much  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6199 on: July 25, 2022, 09:20:33 PM »
How awesome.  Felipe is an *incredible* bass player. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6200 on: July 26, 2022, 03:27:02 AM »
I can't think of any other Brazilian player who's able to pull off this gig. Felipe is getting better and better, and he's the perfect man for this job. I hope some of my compatriots film at least part of these shows.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6201 on: July 26, 2022, 03:40:05 AM »
Maybe he didn't want to disclose his reasons to the promoter because Symphony X got busted for having members who can't travel because of their vaccination status by one of their show promoters when they cancelled the Euro tour? ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 03:48:43 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6202 on: July 26, 2022, 03:49:42 AM »

I saw that and thought... well, that's not the covid vaccine so it doesn't mean much  :lol

Maybe it’s just the covid vaccine he’s refusing? Lots of people worry about the long term repercussions given the comparatively short testing. I was certainly not keen, but decided to go for it after a lot of reading. Got covid 3 days afterwards 😁😁😁😁

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #6203 on: July 26, 2022, 04:15:44 AM »
Looking at Sheehan's comments underneath his recent posts, it's very clear that he does refuse to take a Covid vaccine because he thinks they haven't been as thoroughly tested as previous vaccines he got. Which is, of course, a total joke seeing how literally billions of doses have been administered over the last couple of years.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6204 on: July 26, 2022, 04:20:37 AM »
Billy has interacted a lot in the comment section of his latest FB posts. He all but but says “I didn’t get the Covid vaccine”. So that’s obviously the reason for missing the tour.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6205 on: July 26, 2022, 04:27:20 AM »
Well, his loss, enjoy not traveling for the next however-many-months-or-years restrictions are in place. At least he survived the period between early vaccine uptake and Omicron takeover, dude is getting up there in age and it would have been risky for him to end up getting the previous variants of the virus without the vaccine to protect him.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6206 on: July 26, 2022, 04:48:35 AM »
Well, his loss, enjoy not traveling for the next however-many-months-or-years restrictions are in place. At least he survived the period between early vaccine uptake and Omicron takeover, dude is getting up there in age and it would have been risky for him to end up getting the previous variants of the virus without the vaccine to protect him.

Well said.
Can't we find the minds

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6207 on: July 26, 2022, 05:00:26 AM »
Well, his loss, enjoy not traveling for the next however-many-months-or-years restrictions are in place.

I do find it odd that some musicians chose to forgo part of their careers over this.  Billy is fine, he's been around a long time and doesn't need this SOA tour.  But some others are really questionable for their own careers. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6208 on: July 26, 2022, 07:06:14 AM »
Maybe those musicians think all restrictions are going to stop forever very soon and they're going to miss out on one or two tours tops. But there's always the possibility that: 1) we suddenly get a new variant, 2) some country that's often toured has to become stricter due to their local situation, or 3) they come up with a variant-specific booster vaccine that some countries start requiring, or 4) any other tricky scenario that requires you to roll up your sleeve eventually to enter a specific place... right before the start of a tour, or in the middle of one, when all is done and paid for but most of the money hasn't come in yet. Good luck to them losing money and momentum over misconceptions and conspiracy theories I guess.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6209 on: July 26, 2022, 07:28:26 AM »
I don’t think it’s ever going away.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6210 on: July 26, 2022, 08:28:00 AM »
Looking at Sheehan's comments underneath his recent posts, it's very clear that he does refuse to take a Covid vaccine because he thinks they haven't been as thoroughly tested as previous vaccines he got. Which is, of course, a total joke seeing how literally billions of doses have been administered over the last couple of years.

...and it's technically been tested for about two decades now, it was just the specific spike protein that they needed to isolate to use with this vaccine since covid was a new virus

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6211 on: July 26, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »
Look, I don't agree with Billy Sheehan on this point - I thought it was 10 years, but generally Madman is right it's been around for a lot longer than just the public administration, and I've made my choice to get the full complement of shots and the booster - but honestly, I admire him. I haven't followed every one of his statements, but from my perspective, he made his decision, right or wrong, as is his right, he's accepting the consequences, as is his obligation, and he's not pushing his choice on other people, as is, in my opinion, his duty to other citizens.   

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6212 on: July 26, 2022, 11:16:34 AM »
Does anyone else feel like the biggest weakness with this band is Bumblefoot?  Nothing he does stands out to me. And in a band like this, it needs a guitar player with a strong voice. 
Can't we find the minds

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6213 on: July 26, 2022, 11:26:57 AM »
Does anyone else feel like the biggest weakness with this band is Bumblefoot?  Nothing he does stands out to me. And in a band like this, it needs a guitar player with a strong voice.

I actually he sings a lot better than Jeff Scott Soto, which I think it's the weakest link. I find his voice not suitable for the type of music SoA plays and also, while he might be a good frontman, his voice usually strains a lot on a live setting. Not sure if he doesn't take care of it properly or what but he was underwhelming the two times I saw SoA live.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6214 on: July 26, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »

I guess I should clarify that I mean the voice of the guitar standing out from the other instruments. Not Bumblefoot’s actual voice.
Can't we find the minds

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6215 on: July 26, 2022, 11:44:44 AM »
I really like Bumblefoot in this band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6216 on: July 26, 2022, 11:50:17 AM »

I guess I should clarify that I mean the voice of the guitar standing out from the other instruments. Not Bumblefoot’s actual voice.

Oh I knew what you meant. I was just saying my opinion on the weakest link in SoA. I like how Bumblefoot plays in SoA. Wouldn't mind seeing him do more with his guitar playing though. Felt that he was a bit restrained but then again MP and DS are the producers so I don't know if it was all of Bumblefoot's final saying on how he approaches the guitar in SoA.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6217 on: July 26, 2022, 11:54:01 AM »
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Maybe he is held back to let the keys stand out more. But I think that’s a mistake.
Can't we find the minds

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6218 on: July 26, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »
Bumblefoot was the nice surprise in this band for me. Far from the weakest link and he's the least generic sounding in this band imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6219 on: July 26, 2022, 12:09:24 PM »

I actually he sings a lot better than Jeff Scott Soto, which I think it's the weakest link. I find his voice not suitable for the type of music SoA plays and also, while he might be a good frontman, his voice usually strains a lot on a live setting. Not sure if he doesn't take care of it properly or what but he was underwhelming the two times I saw SoA live.

Yep I agree, JSS is the weakest link for this band, he just doesn't do this genere justice. Not too excited about Billy's playing either. Derek, Mike and Ron work quite well together, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6220 on: July 26, 2022, 12:13:13 PM »
The thing about Jeff Scott Soto is that when he sings on an album and it's stuff he plans to do live every night, he purposefully holds back, knowing he'll struggle if it's something too difficult. That seems to have been the case with SOA. I've seen him do much more ambitious things in his solo albums, not that long ago.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6221 on: July 26, 2022, 12:18:43 PM »
I like the guy, and he's a good frontman, but Jeff is not what I would want for Sons Of Apollo.  IMO, you needed a voice that could cut above and complement the frequencies of the players, not compete with them.  I would have loved to have heard someone with a voice like Brad Delp or Mickey Thomas with that band.  That would be killer.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6222 on: July 26, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »
THIS should've been the Mike and Russell Allen project instead of AMOB, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6223 on: July 26, 2022, 12:31:35 PM »
THIS should've been the Mike and Russell Allen project instead of AMOB, imo.

Apparently, Russell was invited and said no.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6224 on: July 26, 2022, 12:33:09 PM »
I like the guy, and he's a good frontman, but Jeff is not what I would want for Sons Of Apollo.  IMO, you needed a voice that could cut above and complement the frequencies of the players, not compete with them.  I would have loved to have heard someone with a voice like Brad Delp or Mickey Thomas with that band.  That would be killer.

I heard Brad Delp was unavailable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Nachtmerrie

« Reply #6225 on: July 26, 2022, 12:46:15 PM »
Well, his loss, enjoy not traveling for the next however-many-months-or-years restrictions are in place.

I do find it odd that some musicians chose to forgo part of their careers over this.  Billy is fine, he's been around a long time and doesn't need this SOA tour.  But some others are really questionable for their own careers.

I really respect their choice to put principles above money. For me that´s the essence of personal freedom.

I have to say I was pretty surprised to see SOA touring in 2022. I think a lot of people didn´t expect that band to reach 2022 though it may be because of Covid.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6226 on: July 26, 2022, 12:48:31 PM »
The band is done.
I think they will tour the remaining dates and call it a day.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #6227 on: July 26, 2022, 12:59:30 PM »
Bumblefoot is the only thing I like about this band, and I legit forgot this band existed until this thread resurfaced.

The band is done.

This doesn’t surprise me. Is anyone pining for a third album? Does anyone really care about this band anymore?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6228 on: July 26, 2022, 01:01:51 PM »
Bumblefoot is the only thing I like about this band, and I legit forgot this band existed until this thread resurfaced.

The band is done.

This doesn’t surprise me. Is anyone pining for a third album? Does anyone really care about this band anymore?

Pining?  No.  But if they can put out an album as good as the debut, I'm all for it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #6229 on: July 26, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »
It’s been ages since I’ve listened to either of their albums, but I do remember liking the debut much more than the second, but I still absolutely hated the debut.
If they make another album on the same level as the first, all the more reason this band needs to end.  :lol