Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467744 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5985 on: January 25, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Sounded ok to me.  An audience shot video does not do it justice, but they sounded tight and the vocals are on key. It looks like they need a more creative lighting guy though.. The Tom Sawyer section is nice!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5986 on: January 25, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
What? The vocals sounded immensely off key a lot of the time. I admit I skipped around cause it was boring, but I heard a lot of off vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5987 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »
It looks like they need a more creative lighting guy though..

Yeah, YouTube suggested another video of God of the Sun, what's with playing the whole show with the lights "on"? it's such a turn off for the atmosphere.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #5988 on: January 25, 2020, 12:28:32 PM »
Stage felt a little odd for some reason. Weirdly lit...bright. Also MP's tech was fixing some issues
so it was a weird video in some ways. Still, it was decent to watch.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5989 on: January 25, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
I guess the light's guy forgot all the lights in his truck.
It looks like a high school band playing, no lights, fog, anything

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5990 on: January 25, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »
Maybe the cut some costs?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5991 on: January 25, 2020, 12:44:58 PM »
Wow, even the band seemed not at all into it. Was starting to regret not buying tickets for the upcoming show but after seeing that I guess I'm content with my decision.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5992 on: January 25, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
What? The vocals sounded immensely off key a lot of the time. I admit I skipped around cause it was boring, but I heard a lot of off vocals.
YouTube has a way of making things sound worse. Everything gets compressed to mp3 or whatever and most people listen on their crappy sounding mobile phones.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

« Reply #5993 on: January 25, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
Or he just sounds meh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5994 on: January 25, 2020, 01:22:30 PM »
YouTube has a way of making things sound worse. Everything gets compressed to mp3 or whatever and most people listen on their crappy sounding mobile phones.

This is also very true. Regardless, Jeff was noticeably struggling. No offense meant, he has a tough job.

I'm sure Mike is very understanding of the difficulties vocalist endure.  :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5995 on: January 25, 2020, 06:36:55 PM »
https://youtu.be/zdgAzzX3CX4
Very cool! Interesting that, where inserted the Tom Sawyer bit, that part of Wither to Black already had a Tom Sawyer reference in the lyrics and keyboards.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5996 on: January 25, 2020, 09:26:29 PM »

Yes...but it can't make vocals go out of tune.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5997 on: January 25, 2020, 09:55:04 PM »
Those videos make it look like they are playing in a high school gymnasium, with the bright light—seems kinda thrown together. Saw a lot of techs on the stage too.

That was kinda depressing to watch.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #5998 on: January 26, 2020, 04:33:11 AM »
Omg Soto was really shit at burn cover.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5999 on: January 26, 2020, 07:16:58 AM »
Some of these comments on JSS are borderline nasty. If people really really hate this band (be it one member or all), and can't really say anything nice, ya'll shouldn't say anything at all. Would anyone of you say these things to the members' faces?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #6000 on: January 26, 2020, 07:20:50 AM »
Some of these comments on JSS are borderline nasty. If people really really hate this band (be it one member or all), and can't really say anything nice, ya'll shouldn't say anything at all. Would anyone of you say these things to the members' faces?

So all comments should be praise and nothing else? I feel like that doesn't lead to anything good for the artist if all the feedback they get, despite quality, is praise.

Would I tell Jeff to his face that his vocals were off key? Sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6001 on: January 26, 2020, 07:39:37 AM »

So, these forums are not professional reviews. These are groups of friends talking about music and what they like and don't like. Just because I can walk out of a concert and turn to a buddy and say, "Gee that sucked" doesn't mean I'm a dick if I won't say it to their face.

To me, I consider these private conversations, and I know there's an untruth to that, as our comments can be viewed publicly.

But I too, can get frustrated by people simply being negative for what seems like negativity's sake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6002 on: January 26, 2020, 07:55:52 AM »

I think there's a line, and some might have crossed it, but I don't think most people here are saying bad stuff just for the sake of it.

As for me, I really dislike some of their songs and JSS isn't my kind of vocalist at all... BUT, I do enjoy the other songs (I kept 5 from each album, 10 total) and will keep looking forward for more music from them in the future. However, there's some pretty obvious flaws I can't just ignore.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6003 on: January 26, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »

So all comments should be praise and nothing else? I feel like that doesn't lead to anything good for the artist if all the feedback they get, despite quality, is praise.

Would I tell Jeff to his face that his vocals were off key? Sure.

I doubt you'd be incredibly rude or vulgar about it though.

And I have issues with the album and I also think it's far from Jeff's greatest performance, but there is a line of nastiness people are crossing..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6004 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
I'm sorry if this is mean, I certainly do not mean it to be personal, just my observation, but...

The verse was playing and I thought "this is a high school band, no energy, vocals that probably sounded good in the rehearsal hall but don't translate into a live setting..." then Jeff stopped, went back, and the energy picked up tenfold during the instrumental section.  I think there's something to that, honestly.

As for Burn, I know that song inside and out - performed it on stage myself, in the Jeff Scott Soto role - and, well, I've seen it done better (though not, alas, by me or my band).   I get that Ron isn't singing a full set (though he did with Asia, did he not?) but his spots are on key and in time (if not mixed high enough).  I would have expected better from Jeff.   

(And nothing screams "ROCK GODS!" than flipping down your reading glasses, ala Derek at about 2:44.  :). I say that to be funny, not petty or critical, as it has no bearing whatsoever on the performance itself.)

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #6005 on: January 26, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
Sometimes during a live show everything can go wrong, I mean there are some things just out of your control..but other things are..and watching some of the new videos from the band for me at  least is hilarious and kinda sad at the same time..but I remember they had issues from their first tour..check out their first live from the pacifica theater and you'll see what I'm talking about..then they most definitely improved as they played more often..but is very weird why they have the same problems again..I mean is that a part of the show too? :P
Anyway hopefully they'll sort things out..for their sake!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6006 on: January 26, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
Some of these comments on JSS are borderline nasty. If people really really hate this band (be it one member or all), andc can't really say anything nice, ya'll shouldn't say anything at all. Would anyone of you say these things to the members' faces?
I remember when I followed this thread when the first album was released and it was the same thing back then. I guess people don't like Portnoy's attitude towards DT on social media over the last decade and developed a kind of grudge against him (or anything he does) where they just enjoy complaining and criticizing. I mean, it is ok if you don't like the band and all.. but then I wonder why does this thread has over 170 pages..  :lol

And I watched that youtube clip. I saw nothing sooooo shitty or off-key about the vocals or wrong with the lights. I haven't listened to the new album yet and honestly don't feel like it because the first one wasn't anything special.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6007 on: January 26, 2020, 11:03:32 AM »
Some of these comments on JSS are borderline nasty. If people really really hate this band (be it one member or all), andc can't really say anything nice, ya'll shouldn't say anything at all. Would anyone of you say these things to the members' faces?
I remember when I followed this thread when the first album was released and it was the same thing back then. I guess people don't like Portnoy's attitude towards DT on social media over the last decade and developed a kind of grudge against him (or anything he does) where they just enjoy complaining and criticizing. I mean, it is ok if you don't like the band and all.. but then I wonder why does this thread has over 170 pages..  :lol

And I watched that youtube clip. I saw nothing sooooo shitty or off-key about the vocals or wrong with the lights. I haven't listened to the new album yet and honestly don't feel like it because the first one wasn't anything special.

Oh here we go. I think this thread is so long because most of us WANT to like it. Some of us do. I'm a relatively big critic of Portnoy's behavior but I like SOA more than the average person and it just so happens I haven't liked any of his post-DT output. I can think of a guy who is probably Portnoy's biggest critic on this board that loves the Neal Morse Band so there goes your theory about people complaining about anything he does.

Interestingly, one of Portnoy's biggest defenders ISN'T a fan of SOA. Maybe that has contributed to this thread being so long. There's a lot of diverse opinions.

There's even somebody that doesn't seem to like SOA yet saw nothing wrong with the most boring lighting rig in the history of concerts.

Seriously, if you can look at that clip and think there is nothing wrong with basically having the stage fully illuminated with a few colored lights here and there, I don't know what to say. Maybe you could argue that lighting is irrelevant but man, those lights were bland as hell.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6008 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »
I haven't watched but are we judging the lightning by the first show of the tour only? If so, we should give some benefit of doubt that there could have been issues or just something with that venue. Someone mentioned techs on the stage, could have been issues for all this and not something to rip the band on. If this is the norm for their show, then rip ahead cause that is a bit odd although as a video guy, white light on the band is a blessing for me

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6009 on: January 26, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »
Good point, it could have just been technical difficulties. Also this is just based on one song, I'm sure they have better lighting than this throughout the show.   

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6010 on: January 26, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »
I haven't watched but are we judging the lightning by the first show of the tour only? If so, we should give some benefit of doubt that there could have been issues or just something with that venue. Someone mentioned techs on the stage, could have been issues for all this and not something to rip the band on. If this is the norm for their show, then rip ahead cause that is a bit odd although as a video guy, white light on the band is a blessing for me

I think you're right. A checked out videos from a few other dates and the lights still aren't great but not nearly as bad. They probably don't have a lighting guy and just have the venue handle it. That is typical for a lower budget tour and given the problems they seem to admit having, along with the size of venues, I bet they have a skeleton crew.

I saw that their Salt Lake City show got moved to a bigger venue, which is good, but I looked at the venue they were booked in originally and it appeared to be the size of a bar, which is not so good. I wonder if their conversations about whether the band should even continue had something to do with stuff like this. It's one thing to be booked in smaller places and not make as much money but it's another thing to think of how the presentation of your band suffers and opens them up to criticism like a lot of us our doing here.

Good point, it could have just been technical difficulties. Also this is just based on one song, I'm sure they have better lighting than this throughout the show.   

almost the whole rest of the show is posted on youtube. It's not any better.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6011 on: January 26, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »

:facepalm:    dohhh!!!

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #6012 on: January 26, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
t seems like a very low budget tour. what is the size of the clubs they play 200-400 att? The clips from youtube  it feels like a bulgarian cover band. Seems strange. Love all of them but Jss doesnt fit att all. Will check them out in mars but so far. Ehhh

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6013 on: January 26, 2020, 01:50:55 PM »
Someone mentioned techs on the stage, could have been issues for all this and not something to rip the band on.
That was me. I didn’t mean it as a critique of the band really, but I guess it’s been awhile since I’ve seen techs noticeably onstage. Obviously they probably can’t be like Rush and have stage hands in costume, and this was a smaller stage. It just didn’t seem very professional and by that I mean one of the most prolific drummers in music, a well known bass player and guitar player. It didn’t feel like it was that kind of band playing onstage.

They also didn’t really seem to be having any fun. Hard to tell with Derek. He never looks like he’s having fun. I wouldn’t normally care that much, but with how nasty Derek was in the beginning and MP telling fans to fly to the shows if they aren’t near them, it feels like it’s all thrown together.

Like others have said, I think many wanted to like this band, that’s why we discuss it like we do. It just doesn’t feel like they are delivering.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6014 on: January 26, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
Yea, seeing techs on stage is usually a sign of them actively trying to fix something during the performance.  I've seen it many times but never for reasons other than that.  First show of the tour is bound to run into issues, some noticeable some not. 

Also, about Derek... I watched my blu-ray Friday night and during the end of Coming Home when the crowd is at the highest point being the end of the last song, they have a shot of Derek and he looks so mad.  I'm assuming at this point he just has a bad case of resting bitch face, but I had to pause it for a second to just laugh at how ridiculous it looks when probably the biggest crowd and biggest moment of their tour and he couldn't even smile or look at the crowd.  Part of me wants to boo him if he doesn't smile at the show I go to  :lol  I don't expect these guys to be happy by anymeans as the success of this band just doesn't seem to be there, but at least try to pretend to be having fun because it's really hard for me as a fan to enjoy it if the musicians themselves clearly don't look like it.

The worst concert I saw last year was Skid Row and it was because of that reason.  It looked like no one besides their new singer wanted to be there. No smiles, no energy, no engagement.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6015 on: January 26, 2020, 02:24:11 PM »
I just got the new album and listened to it last night.  I need to hear it a few more times to give it a fair shake.
I made the mistake of listening to the blu-ray version of d/t and the new Nightwish concert blu-ray (Decades) before M.M.X.X.   (d/t and Nightwish sound amazing).
  Is it just me or does the new SOA album sound a bit muddy?  It seems like the sound spectrum is thin with lots of mids. I found myself maxing out the treble and bass to compensate.
It kind of reminds me of the production of Vapor Trails..

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6016 on: January 26, 2020, 04:18:35 PM »
Is it just me or does the new SOA album sound a bit muddy?  It seems like the sound spectrum is thin with lots of mids. I found myself maxing out the treble and bass to compensate.

Same as the first album. I think it's due to Derek, Ron and Billy all playing in the same frequency range.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #6017 on: January 26, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »
Wow, people are really hating on that live vid. Almost as if JSS is just some talentless hack. I don’t know him as a singer prior to his SOO stuff and I’m def not a fanboy of this band but geez.. he was struggling a bit with the high notes at the beginning but as for the rest he sounded like a pretty steady power rock singer. Nothing wrong with it. I do agree about the lightning though, but whatever.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #6018 on: January 26, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »
Yeah, I do feel like JSS is being made a bit of a scapegoat for this band not being very good. Almost like his vocal is the reason that the songs are bad.  Don’t get me wrong, you can not like his voice, that’s a matter of taste. I personally can’t listen to Flying Colors because I can’t stand the singer’s voice.  The lack of melody though is not down to the vocal, Jeff can hold a tune, he is an experienced, accomplished singer who’s sang with much bigger bands than this. The lack of any memorable melody is due to the material he is having to sing and the clear lack of strong songwriting ability in the band.

Online Adami

« Reply #6019 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
I don’t think many of us are saying that Jeff’s voice is the only reason we don’t like the band. The song writing isn’t very strong. But his voice also isn’t great in this band. And a lot of these live videos he sounds pretty off to me and others. If they got a different singer and changed nothing else, I still wouldn’t like it. That doesn’t eliminate my criticism of JSS not having a very good voice anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com