Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467743 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5950 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:50 PM »
Ozzmosis is incredible. I rank it as my #4 Ozzy album.
Diary
Blizzard
Moon
Ozzmosis
NMT
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #5951 on: January 22, 2020, 09:16:24 PM »
I love Ozzmosis, it's my 2nd favorite right after No More Tears. NMT was my favorite and my real introduction to Ozzy. I had heard a few tracks like Crazy Train and a few others but NMT was the first album that came out when I getting really into metal and hard rock.

I'll have to check out the new SoA album, the two tracks I heard have been good. I liked the first album, it was a good listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #5952 on: January 22, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
Fun fact: as mentioned before, the mid section jazzy keyboard solo of New World Today is a rip off from Derek's solo work (Day of the Dead). Even more interesting is that the original solo, almost note by note, is a guitar solo from Allan Holdsworth. Maybe it's a homage from Derek to one of his influences.

The Sons of Anu rip off in Fall to Ascend is also a nice nod to DS' solo career. Between Psychotic Symphony and MMXX I think that there's like 5 or 6 direct situations of this copy-paste, just like Derek did with his solo song Been Here Before and Anna Lee.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #5953 on: January 23, 2020, 04:32:15 AM »
Fun fact: as mentioned before, the mid section jazzy keyboard solo of New World Today is a rip off from Derek's solo work (Day of the Dead). Even more interesting is that the original solo, almost note by note, is a guitar solo from Allan Holdsworth. Maybe it's a homage from Derek to one of his influences.

And the intro of the song is a remake of Ascension from Derek's Molecular Heinosity.

The Sons of Anu rip off in Fall to Ascend is also a nice nod to DS' solo career. Between Psychotic Symphony and MMXX I think that there's like 5 or 6 direct situations of this copy-paste, just like Derek did with his solo song Been Here Before and Anna Lee.

He also reworked quite a few of his older ideas on the Oceana album.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5954 on: January 23, 2020, 06:01:15 AM »
Ozzmosis is incredible. I rank it as my #4 Ozzy album.
Diary
Blizzard
Moon
Ozzmosis
NMT

Whoa. My list is almost identical except I would put No Rest in the place of NMT.

I shouldn't like Ozzmosis as much as I do since they came to rely on outside songwriters which I think is cheesy, but good music is good music. I think everything after Ozzmosis is garbage though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5955 on: January 23, 2020, 06:08:02 AM »
I think everything after Ozzmosis is garbage though.

Agreed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5956 on: January 23, 2020, 08:15:53 AM »
also a nice nod

I don't see all these 'nice nods' they have as 'nice nods'.....but just examples of lazy writing and the continued abusing of their laurels
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5957 on: January 23, 2020, 10:53:19 PM »

And the intro of the song is a remake of Ascension from Derek's Molecular Heinosity.

Ascension is the one I was thinking of a few pages back. I do really like how Bumblefoot plays it though.

I had forgotten about the Day of the Dead references as I hadn't listened to that track in years. I must say, Holdsworth does that solo better. It's interesting though that Derek is not only copying his own material, but others as well as there are a lot of ideas in Holdsworth's solo that are played here. No doubt that was intentional, though I wonder why? Surely he's able to craft well-thought-out solos on his own without just ripping off other musicians (or his past work?) That being said, I do love most of his solo material and if he's going to steal from his back catalog I guess that's the best place to go.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5958 on: January 23, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
That being said, I do love most of his solo material and if he's going to steal from his back catalog I guess that's the best place to go.

Sure..... I think the risk of him suing himself is pretty low...

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5959 on: January 23, 2020, 11:32:21 PM »
That being said, I do love most of his solo material and if he's going to steal from his back catalog I guess that's the best place to go.

Sure..... I think the risk of him suing himself is pretty low...

Yes, that too! :lol

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #5960 on: January 24, 2020, 01:25:55 AM »
Having that said, I'm looking forward to Derek's new solo album, with Kiko Loureiro and long time co-writer Simon Phillips! I won't be surprised if these new DS solo album sounds much much better than MMXX

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5961 on: January 24, 2020, 05:06:41 AM »
They played Deep Purple's Burn and Tom Sawyer on the first night of the tour.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5962 on: January 24, 2020, 05:20:59 AM »
Having that said, I'm looking forward to Derek's new solo album, with Kiko Loureiro and long time co-writer Simon Phillips! I won't be surprised if these new DS solo album sounds much much better than MMXX
well, Simon will be one factor why that will be somewhat likely (his drum sound is perfect IMHO as well as his production skills and his general musicality)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5963 on: January 24, 2020, 06:28:55 AM »
They played Deep Purple's Burn and Tom Sawyer on the first night of the tour.
Also Tom Sawyer? Are you sure? In setlist.fm it doesn’t appear.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5964 on: January 24, 2020, 07:33:56 AM »
Solid setlist, I wonder if Tom Sawyer was a JSS solo thing before Alive (which was dedicated to Neil according to setlist.fm) similar to how JSS was doing a Queen tribute before Alive last tour. 

Only missing one song from the new album.  Kind of rather they had played that and not the Deep Purple cover.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5965 on: January 24, 2020, 07:43:06 AM »

Only missing one song from the new album.  Kind of rather they had played that and not the Deep Purple cover.

I feel like MP does that intentionally (leaves a song unplayed) so that if they ever do a second leg they can play that song and change up the set.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5966 on: January 24, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »

I feel like MP does that intentionally (leaves a song unplayed) so that if they ever do a second leg they can play that song and change up the set.

Yea, DT does that, lots of bands do that, the difference is... no one knows if there will be another tour which is why I wish they'd just do the whole album if they are going to do 7/8 of it and then also do a cover song.  Just my thoughts. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5967 on: January 24, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »
Honestly, I'd rather they ditch they Billy Sheehan solo spot than the Deep Purple cover if they were going to make room in the set for one more song. The Van Halen cover was a high point of the set the first time around so I expect I'll really dig the Deep Purple cover too.

Looks like Tom Sawyer is attached to Wither to Black, either at the end or spliced in somewhere.

I'm surprised the epic from the new album isn't closing the set (before the encore).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5968 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
I'm with Axeman; I'd rather hear Burn (one of my favorite songs, but that's not why I'd want to hear it) than a solo spot any day of the week.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5969 on: January 24, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
They still could play at least 1 FII song they haven't played yet, like Burning my Soul or something. I also expect them to play ACOS someday too, maybe for the obligatory live album recording Mike always does of every new tour. That song's way too iconic/important for Mike (and the lineup with Derek) to not play it again at some point.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5970 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:34 PM »
I'm with Axeman; I'd rather hear Burn (one of my favorite songs, but that's not why I'd want to hear it) than a solo spot any day of the week.

I agree too, was just comparing song vs song spots not against solos.  I could do without Figaro's whore as well.  Doesn't even need to be replaced by a song.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5971 on: January 24, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »
If they wanted to do a Deep Purple song, they could've just played Divine Addiction :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5972 on: January 24, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »
If they wanted to do a Deep Purple song, they could've just played Divine Addiction :P

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5973 on: January 24, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »

I respectfully think the JLB/JSS "complaint" issue is a matter of substituting your taste in for someone else's; CLEARLY, based on his choice of singers in the eight and a half years since the split he is not down on the "Steve Perry-esque" operatic singing style.  ALL his singers are of a type - Kotzen, Allen, Soto - and it's consistent.  I'm with you; I don't think it's a trade up either, and I've written that, but he's clearly looking for a more rough, "rock and roll" voice (I've long suspected he viewed "Dream Theater" as his version of his buddy Charlie's Anthrax).

I'm think John Petrucci might have something to say about that.

I've never been a fan of Soto's work so that was really my only reservation with this band. That said, I was kind of impressed by the live album. More impressed than I thought I would be. (Haven't heard any of the second album yet)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5974 on: January 24, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »
Good to see people enjoying it though, the reception seems more positive everywhere and I'm glad the album is received well.
Yeah. It puzzles me a little bit though. Someone in MP's replies on Twitter said that wow, imagine if DT spent ten years with MP evolving to sound like this, and got a lot of likes. I was just like............ yeah. Sounds like a thing that would have happened  :lol

You can't really trust MP's social media following, doesn't he block people who talk shit?  Either way, for anyone, the people who mostly follow and comment are big fans who won't say anything negative.  Now, if you check the comments on blabbermouth.... well you can't trust those either as it's just the opposite and filled with haters. 

At the end of the day, it's music and someone else's opinion should mean nothing to your own opinion.  If they are truly getting great reviews all around, bravo to them as I do wish them success.  I'm just not following closely to know if that's true or not.

Difficult to tell. Seems like most of the discussion and middle ground is lost.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5975 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:16 PM »
OK, so I have the first album, and thought it was incredibly, well, OK at best.

Is this second album more of the same, or has new ground been broken?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5976 on: January 24, 2020, 03:28:49 PM »

Literally sounds like it was made in the same sessions as the first one
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5977 on: January 24, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »
yea, more of the same

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5978 on: January 24, 2020, 04:22:51 PM »

It’s more of the same but worse. There’s nothing on this that comes close to God Of The Sun for example. Not that there was on the last album either to be honest.  Last album is about a 7/10 on a good day. This is, at best, a 4/10 for me.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5979 on: January 24, 2020, 05:57:22 PM »

It’s more of the same but worse. There’s nothing on this that comes close to God Of The Sun for example. Not that there was on the last album either to be honest.  Last album is about a 7/10 on a good day. This is, at best, a 4/10 for me.
...and that just goes to show how different opinions can be. I think the new album is FAR more consistent and therefore, overall much better. Yet, I do agree it doesn't have a high point like God of the Sun.

Literally sounds like it was made in the same sessions as the first one

Again, I disagree. A bit more diverse. More thoughtful riffs and melodies. Sounds like they took more time on this on every front: writing, mixing, etc.

I think almost everyone agrees you won't have your mind blown but it's definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5980 on: January 24, 2020, 08:27:22 PM »

I agree. As I said before I enjoy much of Derek's solo material, and the albums with Simon tend to be especially strong compositionally. I have very little doubt that this album will be far more engaging than SoA's.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #5981 on: January 25, 2020, 07:12:16 AM »
So after spending a good one week with the album, for me it's a win..definitely not as good or as memorable as their debut, but a solid one..
Considering the time they spend to write it, they managed to present a continuation of PS solidifying the sound and style of the band..

First of all lets get out of the way something that the majority may not know..In spots they use some ideas from Derek's solo albums..
and to be fair the best moments from some of them..like the dual solo's from Son's of Anu (Black Utopia), or the dreamy intro from Ascesion (Molecular Heinosity)
and the cool Rhodes comping playing under Holdsworth's solo from Day of the Dead (Mythology)..it's all Derek's music which is great, but I'd like
some fresh ideas and not something that I've heard before..
The second thing is a minor complain..the spots of bass solos makes no sense in the songs..it's just unnecessary, although playing wise
they are amazing, they just don't add anything..

Now let's talk about the good things..I really like the layout and order of the songs, it definitely is an album that needs to grow with the listener,
at least for me..but they are well balanced that make a really good experience..Personally a good song is when just by looking the title I can sing it
in my mind..that's always a good sign..I like the album for the energy and the plain metal side of it with stellar musicianship..Ron Thal and Derek
wrote some wild staff in this especially with their solos and riffs..The focus in this one is the band and how to present a more cohesive and mature experience..

So yeah, a great follow up with great production values and satisfying songs that will keep me company for a while!

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #5982 on: January 25, 2020, 07:41:14 AM »
I gave the album a first spin while working at home yesterday. While it was on a medium volume there really wasn't anything that really drew my attention.

Second spin today in the car. There are some interesting intro's and solo's (mainly Bumblefoot) but apart from that there's nothing that really stands out. Most of songs sound quite the same to me (especially the vocals). But the main negative thing for me are the vocal lines, so uninspiring that it almost sounds like a joke. Same for Yeah's that keep coming back in every song.

I'm seeing them live in a few weeks and I'm sure I will like the show but I won't go back to the albums. Just mediocre considering the amount of skills and experience in the band.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5983 on: January 25, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5984 on: January 25, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
Good lord, that sounded awful and boring.

Have they considered just letting Ron do all the vocals?
fanticide.bandcamp.com