Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468141 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5775 on: January 08, 2020, 10:00:46 AM »
I can think of many bands they could open for.
Alter Bridge is one.

Yeah, I can see that working, but Alter Bridge doesn't really play the bigger rooms that modern bands like Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Halestorm , etc. do for their own (single headliner) shows.  They only play up to like 1,500 people at a time in North America.  Europe is a different story.  Also, a reference point here is a few bands that opened for AB in the last few years in the states (some of you guys probably don't know these bands): Monster Truck, Adelitas' Way, Nonpoint, All That Remains, and soon to be Clint Lowery of Sevendust.

I don't think it would benefit all that much Sons of Apollo playing venues that holds 1,500 people in comparison to what they were playing in their run in 2018.  Getting festival spots in Europe in festivals like Download, Rock AM Ring, Graspop, Hellfest, etc. would benefit them big though.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5776 on: January 08, 2020, 11:17:27 AM »
Desolate July will be the next single. IO teased it on YT just now and so I would guess that (by their usual logic) that it will be released this Friday. The album will be released next Friday as we know.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5777 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
Desolate July is fantastic.  It's kind of its own thing, so I hate to pigeonhole it.  But if I had to draw a comparison from the last album, I would say it is probably most similar to Labrynth. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5778 on: January 08, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
Alter Bridge is one.

Hey stranger. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5779 on: January 08, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »
Look, I totally get that if they DID get an opening slot, it's not to win over guys like me (who are happy to see them in a 1,500 seat place with 700 of my closest friends), but there is zero shot of me seeing them open for Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Halestorm, etc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5780 on: January 08, 2020, 02:22:13 PM »
Alter Bridge is one.

Yeah, I can see that working, but Alter Bridge doesn't really play the bigger rooms that modern bands like Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Halestorm , etc. do for their own (single headliner) shows.  They only play up to like 1,500 people at a time in North America.  Europe is a different story.  Also, a reference point here is a few bands that opened for AB in the last few years in the states (some of you guys probably don't know these bands): Monster Truck, Adelitas' Way, Nonpoint, All That Remains, and soon to be Clint Lowery of Sevendust.

I don't think it would benefit all that much Sons of Apollo playing venues that holds 1,500 people in comparison to what they were playing in their run in 2018.  Getting festival spots in Europe in festivals like Download, Rock AM Ring, Graspop, Hellfest, etc. would benefit them big though.

I agree about those European festivals, get on the bill!  Also agree that maybe opening for a 1.5k crowd isn't the best, but I do think if they got it just a little further at 2-3k it would help.  The first run of shows locally were at 1k capacity and half empty, this next tour is playing a 500 capcaity NYC venue.  If they can't pack that place, then maybe the 1.5k opening slots would really be attractive for them afterall.

Look, I totally get that if they DID get an opening slot, it's not to win over guys like me (who are happy to see them in a 1,500 seat place with 700 of my closest friends), but there is zero shot of me seeing them open for Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Halestorm, etc.

Understandable, but you already recognize that wouldn't be the point of doing the opening slot.  It's the 1500 who never heard of them.  Also, you are missing out on not seeing those bands.  Just my opinion but I saw all three of those you mentioned in 2019 and all are fantastic live.  Hatestorm maybe the most impressive as I didn't think I'd really like them, but I saw them because they opened for Alice Cooper.  Now I'm a Halestorm fan and might see them this winter.  See that's how opening for a band works especially when you are as talented as Lzzy Hale or the members of SOA.  You're musical chops and great performance WILL win some people over.  But you never get that opportunity to win over new fans playing only to your current fanbase.

Funny to, the first time I saw Disturbed like 3 or so years ago, they had Breaking Benjamin and Alterbridge as the openers.  I don't see why SOA can't sneak into a line up like that and find some success.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5781 on: January 08, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »
You're right, because it happened with Ghost when you and I saw Maiden that time. I went in thinking "wtf?" and even though I made fun of it a little (the stage patter), I actually like most of the music I've heard from them so far.   

I think of all of those I'd like to give Disturbed a shot; I really enjoyed that video of the vocal coach commenting on Draiman singing "The Sound Of Silence".  That was killer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5782 on: January 08, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »
Might not had ever become a Dream Theater fan had I not seen them in an opening slot. It literally changed my life.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5783 on: January 08, 2020, 03:45:39 PM »
That was how I got into Maiden.  45 minutes that - like you - changed my life. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5784 on: January 08, 2020, 03:46:59 PM »

I was already a big fan. I just wasn't old enough for my parents to let me go. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5785 on: January 09, 2020, 02:26:31 AM »
Might not had ever become a Dream Theater fan had I not seen them in an opening slot. It literally changed my life.
That is so awesome!  :metal
 I became a Maiden fan in 2010 when Dream Theater opened for them in Seattle. I was there to see DT more-so than Maiden, but Maiden was great too and I have been hooked ever since.  I still think DT had a better mix and sound that night, which is unusual for an opening act..   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5786 on: January 09, 2020, 06:22:45 AM »
I discovered Avatar this year when Devin Townsend opened for them.  Fell in love with that band right away, some bands can just bring it live.  All of the other people I was hanging with that night also became Avatar fans.  I really do think SOA's best ability besides their individual name recognition of the band members is their tight live performance. It's what really won me over two years ago as I was lukeworm on the album, but seeing them live, I became a legit fan. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #5787 on: January 09, 2020, 06:55:37 AM »
Alter Bridge is one.

Hey stranger.

Hi Stads. Hope you are well.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5788 on: January 09, 2020, 07:13:06 AM »
I discovered Avatar this year when Devin Townsend opened for them.  Fell in love with that band right away, some bands can just bring it live.  All of the other people I was hanging with that night also became Avatar fans.  I really do think SOA's best ability besides their individual name recognition of the band members is their tight live performance. It's what really won me over two years ago as I was lukeworm on the album, but seeing them live, I became a legit fan.

Avatar is another band I discovered after being offered a chance to interview. I had no idea what to expect, and when I started listening to them and seeing their live videos, I fell in love with this band!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5789 on: January 09, 2020, 07:55:28 AM »
I checked videos out online before seeing the show, it didn't do them justice.  The singles were fine but not really what snagged me as a fan.  That live show was just wild, I never seen a band pull a show off like that at that venue.  It inspired me to see them again when they opened for Babymetal later in the year.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5790 on: January 09, 2020, 09:33:10 AM »
The Desolate July teaser sounds cool.
I hear notes that remind me of ACOS.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5791 on: January 09, 2020, 09:37:32 AM »
I had not made a connection to ACOS.  But having said that, I don't think it's a stretch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5792 on: January 09, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »

I was already a big fan. I just wasn't old enough for my parents to let me go. :lol

Well I was a "fan" already too, but to that point music was just sound coming out of a speaker.  Watching Bruce run around like a maniac, and Dave actually playing that shit live, and seeing Eddie teeter around the stage... it was crazy shit. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5793 on: January 09, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »
I had not made a connection to ACOS.  But having said that, I don't think it's a stretch.

Honestly there's a few sections of music in the first album that heavily 'call back' to the DS era of DT. It's not surprising to see/hear it'd continue on this album.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5794 on: January 09, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »

I made the connection instantly, but had already mentioned DT three times in my review of the new album, and felt that mentioning them too much would be repetitive. But once you hear it, you can't deny it!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5795 on: January 09, 2020, 03:38:28 PM »

I made the connection instantly, but had already mentioned DT three times in my review of the new album, and felt that mentioning them too much would be repetitive. But once you hear it, you can't deny it!
Three is a party, according to Warhol, so no pressure Rodrigo.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5796 on: January 09, 2020, 05:26:18 PM »
One more week until release date! Pre-save/add MMXX on Spotify or Apple Music for a chance to 𝐖𝐈𝐍 𝐀 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐙𝐄 from Modern Drummer Magazine, Bass Player Magazine, Guitar World, Remo, and more! For U.S. Only.
https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/sons-of-apollo-mmxx-2/

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5797 on: January 09, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
The piano melody of Desolate July indeed has a bit of the feel of aCoS intro and there are parts that reminded me Planet X and DS solo stuff, so, very nice song! Something that I’m liking a lot on these 3 songs released is that there is a lot more layers from the keyboard and guitars than the first album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Bentower

« Reply #5798 on: January 10, 2020, 03:07:38 AM »
I thought it was merely okay and yet the best of the three singles. I'm still in no hurry to re-listen to this one either.

Heartfelt as it may be, that's a bit of an iffy rhyme scheme in the chorus.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Art

« Reply #5799 on: January 10, 2020, 04:42:48 AM »
Desolate July sounds good, probably my favorite performance from JSS of the three songs that are out.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #5800 on: January 10, 2020, 06:53:36 AM »
I didn't care for the song at all. Kind of boring to me.

Just not feeling Sons of Apollo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5801 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:08 AM »
Least interesting song of the three, felt a bit bored as well.  Then Fall to Descend played next and I really do like that one. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #5802 on: January 10, 2020, 07:09:04 AM »
Decent song. No big feels but played solidly.
I expected something different based on the
cool intro.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5803 on: January 10, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »
Desolate July is one of my favorite tracks from the record.  It's just so dark and moody, and a great way to pay tribute to Dave Z.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5804 on: January 10, 2020, 08:23:39 AM »
Desolate July is one of my favorite tracks from the record.  It's just so dark and moody, and a great way to pay tribute to Dave Z.

:metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TARWOs8h7Hw

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #5805 on: January 10, 2020, 09:02:21 AM »
Naah. Listen to the whole album today. Its quite boring and thats quite sad. Mike its to much involved and he hasnt progressed in years. He fits better in FC and with Neal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5806 on: January 10, 2020, 09:16:12 AM »
Listen to the whole album today.

Ok, I will then.  Thanks.

Its quite boring and thats quite sad.

Wait, it is?  Then how come you want me to listen to it?  I'm confused.  ???

Mike its to much involved and he hasnt progressed in years.

Is that even English?  What?

He fits better in FC and with Neal.

Okay.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5807 on: January 10, 2020, 01:04:38 PM »
Listen to the whole album today.

Ok, I will then.  Thanks.

Its quite boring and thats quite sad.

Wait, it is?  Then how come you want me to listen to it?  I'm confused.  ???

Mike its to much involved and he hasnt progressed in years.

Is that even English?  What?

He fits better in FC and with Neal.

Okay.
loved the way you interacted here, bosk. Very reminiscent of John Cleese.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5808 on: January 10, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »
So three songs released and I have liked none of them enough to buy.

Guess I'll be skipping this release.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5809 on: January 10, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »
Of the three songs, this one is in 2nd place. (GD in 1st). I dig the groove, the melodies, but the lyrics are kind of... off.

"So tell me 'cause I don't really want to know"

So do you want to be told or not?

But the beginning sounds strikingly like ACOS. For a guy that ripped on Dream Theater for desperately trying to recapture their past or whatever, it's kind of bold/dumb to have a song about loss so closely resemble one of his best known songs about loss.

Looking past that, it's a pretty cool songs.