Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468100 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5740 on: December 29, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
Interesting little tidbit I stumbled across - Billy was apparently Derek and Mike's only choice for bass when they were first putting SoA together. But if he wasn't available, one of the names that they considered as a backup was Wolfie Van Halen:
https://youtu.be/3OCrPNYGg98?t=1809

Honestly, that just shows they don't know many Bassists. There are plenty other bassists other than Wolfgang.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5741 on: December 30, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »
Interesting little tidbit I stumbled across - Billy was apparently Derek and Mike's only choice for bass when they were first putting SoA together. But if he wasn't available, one of the names that they considered as a backup was Wolfie Van Halen:

Honestly, that just shows they don't know many Bassists. There are plenty other bassists other than Wolfgang.
I'm certainly glad they got Sheehan!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:23:06 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5742 on: December 30, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
Actually, I'd say that's the furthest thing from the truth! More than anyone else in DT, MP really seems to put himself out there to work with as many different musicians as possible. And given the wide variety of people that have been involved in DS's solo albums, I'd say the same is true for him. Keep in mind that the idea of considering Wolfie was just one possibility - from what DS said, it sounds like they had at least a few other bassists they might have approached had Billy not been up for it. And they likely had a specific style/sound they wanted for SoA, and Wolfie must have fit within those parameters so that they had him on the list of other bassists. Would be interesting to find out who the other bassists were, and for that matter, who would've been their back up choices on guitar and vocals had either Bumblefoot or JSS not been available.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5743 on: December 30, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »
Actually, I'd say that's the furthest thing from the truth! More than anyone else in DT, MP really seems to put himself out there to work with as many different musicians as possible. And given the wide variety of people that have been involved in DS's solo albums, I'd say the same is true for him. Keep in mind that the idea of considering Wolfie was just one possibility - from what DS said, it sounds like they had at least a few other bassists they might have approached had Billy not been up for it. And they likely had a specific style/sound they wanted for SoA, and Wolfie must have fit within those parameters so that they had him on the list of other bassists. Would be interesting to find out who the other bassists were, and for that matter, who would've been their back up choices on guitar and vocals had either Bumblefoot or JSS not been available.
my guess for a guitarist would have been Steve Stevens, but what am I to know (because he is an adventurous player as well IMHO, you'll hear that in his records with Tony Levin and Terry Bozzio)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5744 on: December 30, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
Since leaving DT, MP has been instrumental (as opposed to joining) in the creation of 4 or so bands. SoA, Winery Dogs, PMPS or whatever, and Flying Colors. I'm excluding Adrenaline Mob and the other Neil Morse stuff since he wasn't really a driving force in the creation of those.

And of those 4 projects, 3 have Billy Sheehan. So the whole "MP works with as many musicians as possible" doesn't seem to apply to bass.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5745 on: December 30, 2019, 03:15:21 PM »
Bassically, yeah.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5746 on: December 30, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Bassically, yeah.

That's low, man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5747 on: December 30, 2019, 03:49:48 PM »
Low like the low notes a double neck bass can hit?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5748 on: December 30, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
Since leaving DT, MP has been instrumental (as opposed to joining) in the creation of 4 or so bands. SoA, Winery Dogs, PMPS or whatever, and Flying Colors. I'm excluding Adrenaline Mob and the other Neil Morse stuff since he wasn't really a driving force in the creation of those.

And of those 4 projects, 3 have Billy Sheehan. So the whole "MP works with as many musicians as possible" doesn't seem to apply to bass.

Probably has as much to do with his availability as it does them wanting him specifically as a bass player. Mr. Big doesn't really tour full time and any conflict he has with the Winery Dogs would also be a conflict with Portnoy, they can easily block off the christmas season for Jeff, up until Bumblefoot joined Asia he didn't have any consistent conflict, and Derek never seems to have a job soooooooooooo that basically gives them a solid 9-10 months where they only have to work around Portnoy's other schedule and some odd stuff here and there.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5749 on: December 30, 2019, 07:35:56 PM »

Interesting, but I don't think that's a completely accurate take on things. For one, AFAIK, PSMS was never intended to be something more than what it was - essentially a cover band of sorts (tho a lot of the music they performed was written/recorded by one or more of the guys). They didn't plan on doing original music. So I wouldn't count that any more than I would The Shattered Fortress (who, BTW, had bass player not named Billy Sheehan).

And you are forgetting about Metal Allegiance, which MP was instrumental in putting together. Yeah, it started off basically as a cover band collective with rotating individuals, but they've branched out into doing original music and the core of the band has 2 bass players, neither of which is Billy.

For that matter, why limit your consideration to just the bands/projects that MP's helped put together since leaving DT? What about LTE, TA and OSI? Sure Billy was one of the two bass players MP wanted for LTE, but he got Tony Levin instead. And neither TA nor OSI have Billy.

So I still stand by my statement that "MP works with as many musicians as possible."

Probably has as much to do with his availability as it does them wanting him specifically as a bass player. Mr. Big doesn't really tour full time and any conflict he has with the Winery Dogs would also be a conflict with Portnoy
Good point!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5750 on: January 03, 2020, 07:22:03 AM »
My review of MMXX was published today: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/sons-of-apollo-mmxx/

Hope you like it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5751 on: January 03, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »
My review of MMXX was published today: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/sons-of-apollo-mmxx/

Hope you like it.
Nice review, thanks for posting!   The release date however, is in 2020, not 2019..   ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5752 on: January 03, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »
Fixed! Thanks for the feedback, man.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5753 on: January 03, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
Here's Bosk1 Review of the album:

Sons of Apollo Expand Their Legacy With Sophomore Effort, MMXX

As a fan of Sons of Apollo’s debut album, Psychotic Symphony, I eagerly anticipated their 2019 follow-up, MMXX (pronounced “Twenty-Twenty,” according to keyboardist, Derek Sherinian).  But although I enjoyed Psychotic Symphony and the show I attended supporting that album, I was a bit concerned that the band’s second album might be a let-down.  Any doubts I had were quickly dispelled.  MMXX absolutely lives up to the standard Sons of Apollo set for themselves.  The album is a fine collection of melodic, progressive hard rock.

Sons of Apollo was formed in 2017 by drummer Mike Portnoy (who names Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, The Winery Dogs, and The Neal Morse Band among his many current and former bands), keyboardist Sherinian (ex-Alice Cooper, ex-Dream Theater, Black Country Communion), guitarist Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal (ex-Guns N’ Roses, ex-Asia), bassist Billy Sheehan (ex-David Lee Roth, ex-Mr. Big), and vocalist Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Yngwie Malmsteen, ex-Journey, Trans-Siberian Orchestra).  Given the diverse musical background of these players, and the chops each member brought to the table, fans initially wondered whether this musical collaboration would be extreme, technical progressive metal, classic hard rock, or something else entirely.  The debut album can perhaps best be described as a little bit of all of that.  At times, they sounded like Deep Purple.  At others, like Queen.  At still others, like Dream Theater.  The songs tended to have a strong classic hard rock feel.  But some longer song lengths, odd time signatures, and complex instrumental passages gave the songs a bit more of a “progressive” feel.  And while none of that may be groundbreaking, the band’s melding of these styles gave them a unique identity.

To me, the word that best describes MMXX is “consistent.”  It does not bring anything to the table that sounds new or different from Psychotic Symphony.  Rather, it takes the signature sound the band established on their first album, and continues that direction with a bit more tightness and focus that one would expect after a band has written and toured together.  Some fans may be disappointed that the band is not covering any new territory with MMXX.  But those who, like myself, enjoyed the first album will likely find MMXX right up their alley as well.  MMXX takes what worked on Psychotic Symphony and simply continues in that direction.  They know what works for them musically and do not see any reason to change the formula.

MMXX opens with its first single, Goodbye Divinity.  Those familiar with Dream Theater, and specifically the Sherinian-era album Falling Into Infinity, will likely immediately recognize a note progression at the beginning of the song that bears a strong resemblance to parts of New Millennium, as well as an overall feel and vibe similar to Lines in the Sand.  Goodbye Divinitysounds like it could easily have been a cover of something composed by Dream Theater during this era. 

The album also has its fair share of upbeat rockers, such as the next two tracks, Wither To Black and Asphyxiation.  Both feature catchy, interesting drum beats that sound complex, yet groovy, great hard rock riffs, and catchy vocal melodies.  MMXX continues in the same hard rock vein with the amazing drum beats and heavy riffs of Fall To Ascend and Resurrection Day, the latter of which features a very nice intro section with some guitar and keyboard riffing that may be my favorite on the entire album. 

To me, MMXX really shines with the two mid-album, mid-tempo songs Desolate July and King of Delusion.  Both are dark, anthemic, and “epic”-sounding.  Desolate July begins with a haunting piano line by Sherinian, along with some ambient keyboard and guitar sounds that help build the atmosphere.  Soto then comes in with soft vocals until the song shortly explodes into an emotional chorus that has all musicians firing on all cylinders.  King of Delusion, the longer of the two songs, begins similarly by featuring Derek on piano.  But the introduction, while being fairly soft, is also frantic and filled with foreboding.  After just over a minute, Bumblefoot bursts onto the scene with some very tasty riffing.  Sherinian’s organ patches, Soto’s raspy vocals, and Sheehan’s signature fuzzy bass tone then kick the song up a notch. 

MMXX concludes with the nearly-sixteen minute epic, New World Today.  As to be expected simply by the length of the song, New World Today combines a lot of different sounds, tempos, and moods.  It also contains some long instrumental passages, which are expected signature elements of any album with Portnoy and Sherinian. 

Overall, MMXX is a winner.  As stated above, it does not tread much new ground or deviate significantly from what the band did on Psychotic Symphony.  But it does not need to.  The album takes what the band does well and delivers more of the same.  Those who hoped that the band would cover new territory will likely be disappointed.  Those who liked the first album will likely be thoroughly satisfied.  Count me as a happy customer.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5754 on: January 03, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »
FTA writing sessions

https://youtu.be/3N0VbIa-fmI

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5755 on: January 03, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
That resurrection day b section from the writing video sounds great, gives me a tool vibe.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5756 on: January 03, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »

Hope you like it.

Good review man, as always!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5758 on: January 04, 2020, 11:13:01 PM »
Three things, without getting too deep into the album:

1. Bumblefoot is still, without a doubt, the star of this band. That man can play. He's able to balance the crazy stuff with really tasty licks, so the solos feel like there is thought put into them rather than just jumbles of notes (I.E. most of Derek's.)

2. The opening to the epic is very haunting, and also very familiar-sounding. It sounds very much like something from one of Derek's solo albums. Then I realized, there is in fact a track on one of his solo albums that appears to be almost the exact same theme. It's on the 2009 album, I forget the name of the track, but it's an interlude. I'll try to find the track I am referencing later, because if you listen to it you've basically heard the opening to the epic (except I think Bumblefoot's interpretation is better.) The theme that follows sounds straight out of one of the more melodic Planet X cuts. Nice.

3. There's a really cool slow section in the epic that has an interesting solo from Derek. Interesting because, while there are still jumbles of notes mixed in, there are also some very nice ideas. By far the best keyboard solo on the album. Sadly some of the jumbles of notes are not even clean. If this solo took a little more time to build it would be fantastic. Maybe live it will be extended so that he can build to the climax over a longer period of time and therefore start slower...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5759 on: January 06, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »
 I posted this on the Mike Portnoy thread already, but there's some great insights on the new SOA album on the interview I did with Mike. Check it out on the link below:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-mike-portnoy/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5760 on: January 06, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
Well done Rodrigo!  It's interesting how he juggles the cycles of each band to keep them in the spotlight.  Great stuff..  :tup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5761 on: January 06, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
Well done Rodrigo!  It's interesting how he juggles the cycles of each band to keep them in the spotlight.  Great stuff..  :tup

Thanks! Mike has shared it on all his social media, and I'm happy with how the interview turned out.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5762 on: January 07, 2020, 06:43:07 PM »
Another very good interview, Rodrigo!
Interesting to hear MP reconizing that it would be better to be an opening act for a more established band, if they were invited, that to play in small clubs for the pre-existing fans.
If I understood right, they incorporated some musical ideas already recorded in Derek’s instrumental solo albums, which I think it’s really nice.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5763 on: January 07, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »
I would LOVE it if they could get on as an opener for a much bigger band, and it would be great for them as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5764 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:37 AM »
I would LOVE it if they could get on as an opener for a much bigger band, and it would be great for them as well.
Yes, “this is the way” ;)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5765 on: January 08, 2020, 06:34:50 AM »
I've been saying that for awhile, but I'm surprised with all that talent and longevity in the business, that they haven't gotten approached to open for someone, but then again, maybe being prog metal is a reason.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5766 on: January 08, 2020, 08:06:56 AM »
Don't misunderstand me, I would love to see that (and support that as a path forward; playing to half-full 1,200 seat club is great for me as a fan, but is a limiting proposition), but who do they open for?  I know we've said "prog-metal", but they've self-described as more Deep-Purple-ish hard rock.  Do you see them opening the Purple/Priest double bill?  That gives them 30 minutes tops on stage.    Who else is big enough to have them open?  I can't imagine an "Ozzy" or "Vince Neil" is going to want to follow that.   Maybe Maiden? 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5767 on: January 08, 2020, 08:19:24 AM »
I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but Maiden had far wackier (and nepotistic) choices than Sons of Apollo. If Trivium can open for Maiden, I can't imagine that many Maiden fans being horrified at the idea of seeing either Mike Portnoy, a classic singer like Jeff or a virtuoso like Bumblefoot (or all of them together).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5768 on: January 08, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
By the time Iron Maiden comes back here, SOA may not even be a thing anymore.   
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5769 on: January 08, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »
By the time Iron Maiden comes back here, SOA may not even be a thing anymore.

True.  I do think Maiden would be awesome for them to open for but it seems every single metal band wants that spot.  It's tough competition. 

I think they could open for Avenged Sevenfold on their next tour.  There's the MP connection and A7X is close enough to a prog metal to have some crossover fan bases potentially. 

Maybe even American hard rock bands would be a good option, Breaking Benjamin or Halestorm types.  It wouldn't need to be an arena or amphitheater tour.  At this point playing in a 2-3k theater with one other bigger band might be good enough for them to get exposure vs being the 3rd band on a double headline bill. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5770 on: January 08, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »
I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but Maiden had far wackier (and nepotistic) choices than Sons of Apollo. If Trivium can open for Maiden, I can't imagine that many Maiden fans being horrified at the idea of seeing either Mike Portnoy, a classic singer like Jeff or a virtuoso like Bumblefoot (or all of them together).

Well, lately, Maiden shows have been the Steve Harris Family Hour, and I get that.  If anyone has earned that prerogative, it's Steve Harris, but still.  The point was, who can realistically support having SOA on the bill.

EDIT:  Actually, you know who would be a good choice?  KISS.  They're already having David Lee Roth (solo) open some shows.  That would be PERFECT. 

Online NoFred

« Reply #5771 on: January 08, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »
Open for DT  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5772 on: January 08, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5773 on: January 08, 2020, 08:53:01 AM »
EDIT:  Actually, you know who would be a good choice?  KISS.  They're already having David Lee Roth (solo) open some shows.  That would be PERFECT.

I thought about Kiss too, and with the consideration of DLR, but I didn't list them because isn't this supposed to be the end of the road?  :biggrin:  But all things equal, I don't see why not Kiss.  Why not Poison as well?  Their last tour they brought Cheap Trick and Pop Evil.  SOA could fill that Pop Evil spot IMO of a modern hard rock band.  Bumblefoot has the GnR background, I think that could open the door for the 80s glam bands to open for.  Maybe they were trying to get that Joan Jett spot like so many other bands on the 80s arena tour this summer  :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #5774 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
I can think of many bands they could open for.
Alter Bridge is one.