Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467977 times)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5565 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:45 PM »
First Band Blues

but I'm sure it has to do with not being a huge success like they seemed to have expected.

I like how he speaks truthfully about things not being fine and dandy, it certainly didn't seem that way from my perspective and it's nice to not see them pretend all was going well here.

Well, a slice of humble pie will do them some good.  If the rest of their new album is as good as Goodbye Divinity then I'd say it did them a lot of good.  Their last album came off so pompous (imho) that I didn't think I would like anything they did and basically wrote off the band.

Here's hoping that this can be another band I can get into.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5566 on: November 20, 2019, 09:49:42 PM »
First Band Blues

but I'm sure it has to do with not being a huge success like they seemed to have expected.

I like how he speaks truthfully about things not being fine and dandy, it certainly didn't seem that way from my perspective and it's nice to not see them pretend all was going well here.

Well, a slice of humble pie will do them some good.  If the rest of their new album is as good as Goodbye Divinity then I'd say it did them a lot of good.  Their last album came off so pompous (imho) that I didn't think I would like anything they did and basically wrote off the band.

Here's hoping that this can be another band I can get into.

The ironic thing is the pompous one (Derek) seems to have taken an even bigger role on this album. Dare I say the new band leader? He produced it and wrote a lot of the vocal melodies. But yeah, he seems to have toned it way down.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5567 on: November 21, 2019, 06:23:02 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder if Derek wrote the lyrics to track 5 and if it will be auto-biographical? :P

There's also 'King of Delusion', which clocks in at nine minutes in length.

This opens up with a piano solo, explains Portnoy. And it also has a middle section where Derek and I do a piano & drum duet.

I have actually played more piano on this album than I have ever done before, delights Sherinian. This fitted nicely with what we were aiming for. I am also so pleased that I get to play a lot of Hammond organ this time.

Looks like we're onto something here... :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5568 on: November 21, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »

That was my take as well - he is very refreshingly honest about the fact that they thought the band would be bigger from the start and it wasn't, which led to some internal struggles. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5569 on: November 21, 2019, 07:12:02 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder if Derek wrote the lyrics to track 5 and if it will be auto-biographical? :P

This opens up with a piano solo, explains Portnoy. And it also has a middle section where Derek and I do a piano & drum duet.

I have actually played more piano on this album than I have ever done before, delights Sherinian. This fitted nicely with what we were aiming for. I am also so pleased that I get to play a lot of Hammond organ this time.

:lol :lol :tup :tup

That was my take as well - he is very refreshingly honest about the fact that they thought the band would be bigger from the start and it wasn't, which led to some internal struggles.

I can't help but wonder if Sherinian's online antics irked a few members of the band.  I mean, they are trying to build a new band up from the ground, and you've got one member pissing off a portion of your target audience.  And let's face it, you need fan support to make just about any band work, unless you are a one-off, and potential fans saying they won't even give your new product a try because one guy in the band was acting the way he was is something I could see having ticked off a member or two of the band.  Total speculation of course, but given that Derek went from taking shots on a somewhat regular basis to going totally silent in that regard since makes me think someone had to have told him, in so many words, to knock it off.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5570 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:17 AM »

:lol :lol :tup :tup

I can't help but wonder if Sherinian's online antics irked a few members of the band.  I mean, they are trying to build a new band up from the ground, and you've got one member pissing off a portion of your target audience.  And let's face it, you need fan support to make just about any band work, unless you are a one-off, and potential fans saying they won't even give your new product a try because one guy in the band was acting the way he was is something I could see having ticked off a member or two of the band.  Total speculation of course, but given that Derek went from taking shots on a somewhat regular basis to going totally silent in that regard since makes me think someone had to have told him, in so many words, to knock it off.

I have always purchased the albums that MP is on except for SoA and DS was the reason why I didn't support MP by purchasing their album and the live release and in some way that's why I disliked the album too. This time around DS hasn't talked shit (yet) and I am thinking of getting it after I hear it a couple of times, if I like it I will support them.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5571 on: November 21, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »
I have always purchased the albums that MP is on except for SoA and DS was the reason why I didn't support MP by purchasing their album and the live release and in some way that's why I disliked the album too. This time around DS hasn't talked shit (yet) and I am thinking of getting it after I hear it a couple of times, if I like it I will support them.

If you do like it and buy it, would you also now buy the first one?  Or has that album been forever tainted for you? 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5572 on: November 21, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »

If you do like it and buy it, would you also now buy the first one?  Or has that album been forever tainted for you?

No, I won't purchase the first one, I also deleted the promo copy of the first release and the Live release I got from the label.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5573 on: November 21, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
I think I said this above, but as far as the first album and the live release:  I think I would say I was in "auto-buy" mode for the first album.  But I liked what I had heard before release anyway, so I was going to buy it no matter what.  I liked the first album.  A lot.  Still do.

I also really liked the live performance when I saw them on tour.  ...for the most part.  The stage banter was incredibly immature and offputting at times.  Derek's stage presence and general demeanor outside the show was also a bit offputting.  But if I had no prior context, it would likely have come off as very minor.  But the performance of the music itself and the overall showmanship were great.  I was looking forward to the live release.  Having heard it and seen the clips that have been posted, I'm not interested.

Given everything that has played out, I am no longer in "auto-buy" mode with their material, and more "wait and see" mode.  I think I will probably buy the new one, but it will depend on what I hear as we get closer.  I do like the first song and find it to be pretty on par with the first album (which, again, I really liked), so that's a good sign.  And I like the context provided by that JSS promo clip.  That said, I find it funny and ironic (in light of some things they have said) that the two former DT members did not immediately recognize that the intro to their new song is HEAVILY reminiscent of a distinctive note/chord progression from New Millenium combined with the intro to Lines in the Sand.  That doesn't take away from the song at all.  But it's hilarious that Derek and Mike apparently never realized that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5574 on: November 21, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
They're one of those bands I prefer live over studio. Won't buy the albums, maybe the live ones, but will definately see them live if close.

Listening to the song again and seeing the video. I still don't like that intro/outro tone. It's too loud for me. I do enjoy the rest of the song though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5575 on: November 21, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
From their FB page: Pre-save/add our upcoming album MMXX on Spotify or Apple Music for a chance to 𝐖𝐈𝐍 𝐀 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐙𝐄 from Modern Drummer Magazine, Bass Player Magazine, Guitar World Magazine, @remopercussion, and more! Good luck! For U.S. Only.

https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/sons-of-apollo-mmxx-2/

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5576 on: November 21, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
Not sure what Apotify is but I hope I win :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5577 on: November 21, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »
Not sure what Apotify is but I hope I win :lol

LOL  :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5578 on: November 22, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
I'm going to Plovdiv tonight

Thanks ProfessorPeart for the link :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5579 on: November 22, 2019, 11:21:43 PM »
Your cat doesn't look too happy about it 
:lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5580 on: November 23, 2019, 03:45:12 AM »
Oh God, that cat's reaction is priceless.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5581 on: November 23, 2019, 04:41:27 AM »
The cat took hard Derek's negative comments and disapproves of your entertainment choices.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5582 on: November 23, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »
"Why does Derek Sherinian describe himself as a cool cat! he has no right to that word!"  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5583 on: November 23, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
 :lol I knew he'd give a reaction because he HATES when I pull out my phone to take a picture of him

Online Lupton

« Reply #5584 on: November 23, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQaH69XgvQY&feature=youtu.be

What a statement in the mid of the promotion of the album by JSS

"Damn kids these days! They don't know how to harness the pain..."    *mumbles* "Get off my lawn!"  :laugh:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5585 on: November 23, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »

Pretty much the look my wife gives me when I'm holding a roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5586 on: November 24, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
 :lol That darn cat!
 Anyway, I just received the live at Plovdiv bluray and cd's yesterday and watched it last night with big stereo sound.  Pretty awesome show imo!  It was a nice treat to come home to after being in the ER for the day with severe heart arrhythmias.  It actually kind of helped. I had to stand to watch the show in my own living room, if I sat down my palpitations got worse. So I just pretended I was at the concert.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5587 on: November 27, 2019, 08:28:10 AM »
So I just watched the Plovdiv concert again (three days later) now that I'm feeling better.  I think this is one FANTASTIC show!  I remember reading remarks in this thread saying that JSS was struggling vocally on a few of songs.  He sounded great to me and put on quite a show and is the perfect fit for this band.  Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal is a integral part in this band, and brings so much to the show,  a very gifted musician!  Sheehan and Portnoy are both amazing as well.
 I really like Derek's performance and sound on this one. He seemed to be having fun and his playing is spot on,  just some great solos throughout especially on the Hammond.  I have some more respect for Derek after listening to his interviews on the bonus material, he seems like a pretty cool dude. Same for evereyone else in the band. 
 The cover songs are very well done. It's too bad that the powers that be didn't allow Comfortably Numb and Dream On to make the bluray cut... What the heck!!!
 I really hope this band can hold it together for a while and make a few good albums and tours. Way too much talent not to.    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5588 on: November 28, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »
Here's a confession:

I haven't paid much attention to SoA because the whole MP/DS drama surrounding it really turned me away from them big time. I listened to one or two tunes but that was about it, until last week. After I listened Goodbye Divinity I thought that maybe the band would be worth checking out even if it didn't feel like the greatest thing ever. Turns out I listened to the debut again with fresh ears and I really liked most of it.

There are some pretty incredible and strong tracks that I really enjoyed like God of the Sun and Opus Maximus and others that felt to me like a quintaessential heavy/progressive metal track that's been done 150498 times by now, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the whole thing. It's funny because I think SoA is what MP was slowly turning DT into, even with the vocals. If by any reason JLB had quit the band I'm so sure that MP would've picked someone like JSS to take over him because of his "ballsy voice", using his own terminology; so at the very end MP did get what he wanted (with lots of bumps on the road, of course).

I'm eager to check out the new album!

And regarding the JSS thing in the track by track, I do agree with Kev's sentiment. From the get-go both Portnoy and Sherinian were blowing the whole thing out of the water like "let's reclaim our throne" and stuff like that, really pushing the boundaries (and clearly spending a lot of money) into making SoA not feel like a new band even though they were putting out their debut album and touring for the first time basically with only their names and fame as hooks for people to pay 200+ dollars for a Meet & Greet with a new band. That's kinda overwhelming.  I'm no expert in the matter but I feel that if they had spent more time winning over their potential fan base and just doing, as JSS says, playing the First Band Blues right, they would probably be a tad smaller than they are now but they would probably be on a steady growth as opposed to them being pretty much stuck in their current position. I can't see them getting much bigger than they are now by any means. Maybe a few more hundred thousand views in their YouTube channel and a couple of big venues but that's about it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5589 on: November 28, 2019, 10:21:26 AM »
It's funny because I think SoA is what MP was slowly turning DT into, even with the vocals. If by any reason JLB had quit the band I'm so sure that MP would've picked someone like JSS to take over him because of his "ballsy voice", using his own terminology; so at the very end MP did get what he wanted (with lots of bumps on the road, of course).

His first option would've definitely been Russell Allen.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5590 on: November 28, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »
I was just reading the itinerary for the upcoming 2020 tour dates.  Only 13 dates in the U.S.,    I wonder what is up with that?   There's got to be a bigger market than that here in the states.. Afetr 13 dates I figured that would be when you are just getting warmed up.. Weird!      :huh:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5591 on: November 28, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
I was just reading the itinerary for the upcoming 2020 tour dates.  Only 13 dates in the U.S.,    I wonder what is up with that?   There's got to be a bigger market than that here in the states.. Afetr 13 dates I figured that would be when you are just getting warmed up.. Weird!      :huh:

He said on FB or somewhere esle something like if you want more shows you have to make to these to show more interest to the promoters.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5592 on: November 29, 2019, 01:05:00 AM »
It's funny because I think SoA is what MP was slowly turning DT into, even with the vocals. If by any reason JLB had quit the band I'm so sure that MP would've picked someone like JSS to take over him because of his "ballsy voice", using his own terminology; so at the very end MP did get what he wanted (with lots of bumps on the road, of course).

I read about Gildenlöw somewhere, too.
any rock can be made to roll

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5593 on: November 29, 2019, 05:11:28 AM »

I read about Gildenlöw somewhere, too.

Gildenlöw would have been amazing but I don't think he would want to be in a band where he is not the undisputed leader, unlesz just as a sideproject.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5594 on: November 29, 2019, 05:19:26 AM »
He would have also essentially broken up their respective bands, or at the very least forced them to get a new singer changing forever their sound.

I'm more than 10000% glad that James is the ultimate DT singer but imagine if the split happened afer 2002 when it was considered - James would have forever been the classic singer, but by now he would have been surpassed by the new one. James would have had a tenure of 10-11 years and 5 albums, the new singer would have been in its 16-17th year of tenure with 8 albums.

Now that mere numbers matter in these cases, I assume many still consider Kevin Moore the "classic" DT keyboardist when he's been there for only 5 recording years and 3 albums. Jordan has four times Kevin's tenure by now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:55:27 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5595 on: November 29, 2019, 06:14:43 AM »
There may come a time when Mangini is with the band longer than Portnoy was, but I think he will still be the "new" guy, at least for some.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5596 on: November 29, 2019, 06:16:31 AM »
There may come a time when Mangini is with the band longer than Portnoy was, but I think he will still be the "new" guy, at least for some.  :D
I definitely hope so.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5597 on: November 29, 2019, 07:08:22 AM »
Won't that be around year 2035?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5598 on: November 29, 2019, 07:42:54 AM »
They’ll retire long before then.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5599 on: November 29, 2019, 09:08:18 AM »
I was just reading the itinerary for the upcoming 2020 tour dates.  Only 13 dates in the U.S.,    I wonder what is up with that?  There's got to be a bigger market than that here in the states.. Afetr 13 dates I figured that would be when you are just getting warmed up.. Weird!      :huh:

Not being a dick by 'why'? I don't think there is. The sizes of the venues and the blandness of the music I'd say it's a pretty specific audience. Maybe they do another leg but I doubt it since MP has (2) other bands (maybe 3 now that Transatlantic has recorded) that he will most likely either tour or be recording with.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind