Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468090 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5425 on: November 14, 2019, 12:38:09 PM »
I didn't care for the 1st album too much and I wasn't going to buy especially after MP's comments towards Labrie BUT after that teaser, how can I resist?? An instant first day buy!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5427 on: November 14, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Burning Shed pre order link: https://burningshed.com/tag/Sons+Of+Apollo?utm_source=Newsletter+14+11+2019&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+14+11+2019

One of the CD options include the following info:

CD1
1 Goodbye Divinity 00:07:15
2 Wither To Black 00:04:44
3 Asphyxiation 00:05:07
4 Desolate July 00:05:58
5 King Of Delusion 00:08:48
6 Fall To Ascend 00:05:06
7 Resurrection Day 00:05:51
8 New World Today 00:15:50

CD2
1. Goodbye Divinity (Instrumental Mix) 00:07:19
2. Wither To Black (Instrumental Mix) 00:04:46
3. Asphyxiation (Instrumental Mix) 00:05:06
4. Desolate July (Instrumental Mix) 00:06:09
5. King Of Delusion (Instrumental Mix) 00:08:47
6. Fall To Ascend (Instrumental Mix) 00:05:06
7. Resurrection Day (Instrumental Mix) 00:05:49
8. New World Today (Instrumental Mix 00:12:56
9. Goodbye Divinity (A cappella excerpts) 00:02:40
10. Wither To Black (A cappella excerpts) 00:02:55
11. Asphyxiation (A cappella excerpts) 00:02:26
12. Desolate July (A cappella excerpts) 00:02:53
13. King Of Delusion (A cappella excerpts) 00:03:29
14. Fall To Ascend (A cappella excerpts) 00:02:02
15. Resurrection Day (A cappella excerpts) 00:02:08
16. New World Today (A cappella excerpts) 00:04:14

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5428 on: November 14, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
Thank god we get an instrumental mix without the annoying vocals

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5429 on: November 14, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
Thank god we get an instrumental mix without the annoying vocals

:rollin

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #5430 on: November 14, 2019, 11:35:51 PM »
OMG so dull and uninspired the new single was. Ok the guys ran in the studio and produce something fast but this was a little disappointing stuff :sad:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5431 on: November 14, 2019, 11:48:13 PM »
New single out: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY8rA_4YMg

I thought it was alright. I liked the song itself, but the guitars are tuned so low that their note definition is muddy, the solo was grooveless shredding, & the keyboard patches sound like shit.

Still though, when I can ignore all that, it's a good song.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5432 on: November 15, 2019, 05:06:54 AM »
Nice and solid song, it's groovy. For the punch and the heaviness it had, I expected a more bombastic chorus, which isn't bad but isn't either the standout part of the song.

It's completely in line with the debut, is the whole album is at this level or better, we'll have a nice and solid offering. I also like how the solo section is not a complete "Stop, jam and come back into the song" thing but stays in tune with the rest of the song, let's hope it's the same for all the other songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5433 on: November 15, 2019, 05:12:49 AM »
Good intro, the song fell a bit meh afterwards.

Also i find it weird that i can predict MP's playing without having heard the song first.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5434 on: November 15, 2019, 05:26:30 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5435 on: November 15, 2019, 05:56:37 AM »
I liked it a lot! It sounds like a cross between FII and Soto’s Origami. The instrumental sections are really good!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5436 on: November 15, 2019, 06:47:42 AM »
Nice tune, I like it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5437 on: November 15, 2019, 06:57:56 AM »
I dig it - groovy and heavy.  Pretty much what I expected, given the style of the debut record.  I do agree that the chorus could have been bigger, but whatever....these guys are a fun band to listen to.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5439 on: November 15, 2019, 07:08:38 AM »
It was okay. Intro was nice. Rest was pretty generic/by the numbers, but nothing really bad about it. Just bland. Though I might just feel this way about the SoA sound in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5440 on: November 15, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »

Also i find it weird that i can predict MP's playing without having heard the song first.

He’s been like that since Train of Thought.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5441 on: November 15, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
Not bad, but not memorable either

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #5442 on: November 15, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
Lyrics:
"A single star behind me"

Oh wait...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5443 on: November 15, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »
Here's the musical video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlyaCqqZ0A

(the other link was only audio)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5444 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:46 AM »
I enjoyed the song quite a bit!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #5445 on: November 15, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »

Yes, I also noticed that in the last few DT albums he played on. While listening to it, I realize that the ONLY reason I am listening to it is because it has 2 EX DT members. The only thing that sticks out on the song that I enjoyed is Ron Thal's playing, the drums are predictable, not bad he is a very good drummer, the singing is generic the song is general has a very been there done that feel to it so for those reasons I am out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5446 on: November 15, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »
First listen didn't do much for me.  I am warming up to it a bit the second time through.  I feel like it's a step down from the previous album.  But I am still very much open to giving this time to marinate and hearing the rest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5447 on: November 15, 2019, 08:51:54 AM »

Yes, I also noticed that in the last few DT albums he played on. While listening to it, I realize that the ONLY reason I am listening to it is because it has 2 EX DT members.

Same here. I guess I also find Bumblefoot's inclusion a little interesting. Unlike you, my Achilles heel is being a completist mixed with at least a moderate interest in the product, so that means I'll be buying this.

The intro was pretty cool. Perfect use of the fretless guitar which I feel a lot of times is there more for a gimmicky, albeit sometimes cool purpose. Rest of the song was average but definitely listenable. I'd say overall it would have been an above average tune on a very average to below average debut album. Much better than their first single from Psychotic Symphony so I don't know if that's a good sign or not.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5448 on: November 15, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
Here's the musical video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlyaCqqZ0A

(the other link was only audio)

Watching them play was way better than just listening. I appreciated the song more the second time.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5449 on: November 15, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »

Yeah. We've beat this to death but his "repertoire" of fills.....ghost notes.....etc etc is pretty predictable. Especially given the amount of projects he has it's just over-saturation of his playing.

I know it's almost a 'pride' thing for him when he says he doesn't practice and you can tell at this point.  Opposed to MM who religiously practices and tries to improve and his music speaks for itself.   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #5450 on: November 15, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
Derek and Bubmbleboot seem more cohesive in the middle/solo section. I liked that part. Felt a little Planet X in there.

The song itself is pretty good. Nothing "groundbreaking" but it's solid. It's an improvement in the aspect of writing a song.

I wish Soto would let loose with his vocals. Seems he stays in a restricted place with SOA except for his "yeah!" here and there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5451 on: November 15, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
Yeah. We've beat this to death but his "repertoire" of fills.....ghost notes.....etc etc is pretty predictable.

And I will go back to beating to death the point that I fail to see how this matters at all.  Of all the things to criticize about MP, this isn't one of them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #5452 on: November 15, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »
Yeah. We've beat this to death but his "repertoire" of fills.....ghost notes.....etc etc is pretty predictable.

And I will go back to beating to death the point that I fail to see how this matters at all.  Of all the things to criticize about MP, this isn't one of them.

Speaking only for myself it matters to me because drums are my favorite instrument so I listen to it most closely. Ironically, it was one of the major things that got me into DT back in 1994. Mangini and Peart works on improving their craft and it showed. It's nothing personal against him, it works for him, he has a very successful career.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5453 on: November 15, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »

With all due respect, I think it kind of is. If he's interested in gearing up excitement about his new band or a new release.....yet.....I and a ton of other people more or less 'know' what we're going to hear from him.....then it's really not that appealing. Literally the first fill in that new SOA song is a fill that he's played hundreds of times.

I think it's a fair criticism. I'm not trying to rip on him just to rip on him....it's just pointing out that he's done little to 'improve' his product.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5454 on: November 15, 2019, 10:01:48 AM »
I think it's a valid criticism. Mike's playing stagnated quite some time ago and it's the same bag of tricks each time, partially because he himself admits to not practicing, or not practicing much (30 minutes is apparently a 'long time' to practice one part, even though... it really isn't). Not like he's a bad drummer or anything, but he's predictable by now. Whether or not that's a big deal depends on how much that matters to the individual. But I think it's a valid critique if you word it properly.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5455 on: November 15, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
Especially when voicing an opinion on something new and recent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5456 on: November 15, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »

I'm with Bosk on this, if it matters.  I'm not sure using Mangini is necessarily an objective standard.  There are FAR more times I listen to Mangini and think, "dude, just fuckin' PLAY" than there are times I listen to Portnoy and thing, "dude, kick it up a notch".   I've said this before:  Mangini has a way of making 4/4 sound like 27/15, and Portnoy has a way of making 27/15 sound like 4/4, and it's all personal preference which you like (I prefer the latter). 

I'm in a conundrum with the song though; I liked some of it (the intro, Mike, the solos) and didn't like others (the E-string chug that comes in at about 1:50 is about as cliched as it gets), and as much as he's a nice guy, as much as he's a team player, as much as I recognize his technical ability... Jeff singing in that middle register just does less than nothing for me.  It's so generic, that it doesn't even deserve to be labelled as "generic".   I say that to be funny not mean, but it's just not giving me shivers. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:13:44 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5457 on: November 15, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
I think calling JSS generic is beating to death the point at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5458 on: November 15, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
I'm listening to it now and Soto sounds 100% like a lite A-Mob Russell Allen. It's weird
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5459 on: November 15, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »
I'm listening to it now and Soto sounds 100% like a lite A-Mob Russell Allen. It's weird

Haha, buddy!   :tup  I literally thought that same thing during the first verse!  :)